The Stage Ate My Girlfriend! (Attack of the Show Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

fluffy wrote:Corn On The Cob - Wow, that's a really sweet-sounding intro. It kinda sounds too perfect, like it's all just loops.
Heh, this is pretty much the biggest compliment you could throw to three drunk guys playing and recording this together, live, with no click track, take 2 was the final take.. :D
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Looks like me, as well ....

j$
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

My opinion is strictly if I like the song or sound. Maybe it is if I listen to it before or after lunch. Either way, you uploaded a song and I didn't so I suck worse.

abjure The clipping guitar is too much for me. Drags on and on and on and on and on. I like the vocals and overall feel. Gets real messy and the lyrics go no where. C-

Anthony - No comment.

Corn on the Cob - Nice mix and vocals. The " could be any band music" is a bit tired though. Whatever you did around 2:00 is just bad. I like the heavy part. IMO it should have stayed there until the end. B+

East Bay- You started like you were gonna sing your rap like a regga rap. That would have been cool. This is kinda stuck in between singing it and strait rap. B-

Fluffy - I almost dismissed this. I am glad I didn't. This is very bare but I would love to cover this! Production F- Song B+ I did have to scan it from 2:30 on (that is as long as it sould have been)

HD - Nice and mello. Nothing bad to say nothing great to say. B

Johnny Cashpoint - You are getting much better. Your vocals are much improved. The complexity and flow of your music is nice. I like the originality. A

Klaus Atomik -Nice live recording. Good song and execution. A

Menbah! - Vocals are way to far out front. This is fun in a campy in an "old navy" way. Every time you say the title I smile. It is worth a re listen. C+

Octothorpe - This is very entertaining. As a song B and as a performance piece A+.

Flying Brick - I know this song and you didn't write it.

I liked as many as I hated, my vote goes to.... J$ then Octothorpe.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Thanks, Fried!
fried wrote:Flying Brick - I know this song and you didn't write it.
I thought the same (but was too cowardly to do anything but hint at it in my review). Which one is it? It's been driving me crazy all week trying to remember (although not crazy enough to listen to it again, obviously)

j$
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

(continued)

Abjure!
It's almost so corny that it's funny, but the lyrics in the 2nd verse really destroy me. I almost want to say the guitars in the verses could've been clean, and save the distortion for the chorus, I just wish there was a little variance in the guitar tones. I'm not sure how I feel about the bridge, it doesn't flow as well with the rest of the song, but the plethora of voices are great and the chorus vocal melody is catchy and fun.

Anthony "A-log" LoGatto
The spoken intro was tough for me to get into, but fun, sorta suggesting "come to the shooow tonight" sorta top hat madness. That's the best imagery I can get out of this. It's rough.

Cahn on the Cob
Herojima: Drums, Gregga P: Bass, me: vocs, guitars
Greg and I worked out the chord changes and structure, and we recorded ourselves live as a trio, and then tracked the vocals and second guitar after. The "show" is, as in, life's nuisances as the show, even when you'd like to get away, you can't. Sometimes doesn't feel like living at all? maybe. For some people, everything's a show.

East Bay Acolytes
I like the instrumentation quite a bit. The whole tune could use another part of some kinda I think, aside from the little bit of change where the keyboard comes in. Could also use more voices, just something to help build it, dynamically. The rap sounds a little corny at times but that vibe kinda goes along with the lyrics.

Fluffy
It's hard for me to say much about this song except that I think it could use a much more drastic change at some point, the guitar gets a little monotonous, droning the same chord over and over. It needs a big buildup of some kind.

Dark Liberty
The vocals should be louder, maybe even a vocoder during the verses, and distortion during the choruses. I like the bass tone and the way the 2nd verse comes in, first the bass, then the left guitar, then the clean guitar, then the lead guitar. The drums are solid. I almost like it as an instrumental, but I think you could've come up with a more melodic vocal during the verses, at least that's what I'd like to hear.

Klaus Atomik
This tune's jamming. Quite a bunch of interesting changes, I like the classic blues/punk combination. At least thats what it seems to me. My fav parts are the "no wonder you're broke" stop change, esp. the last time. The edgey vocals during the chorus are great too.

MENBAH!
The drop to half time after that long vocal note is pretty killer. I like when it goes back to double time but wish that the other instruments would follow the guitar more at that point.

Octothorpe
Of all the game show references, this is by far the best, most creative one. I can just picture Bob and Mary in 70's garb and light blue/yellow/red motif, with little lightbulbs everywhere. I like how Bob says "that's right" before Mary even really answers.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

I dont usually review because my thoughts on songs are usually "i like that" or "i dont like that" ...not very helpful. But i feel im actually qualified for one song this week so here goes....

East Bay Acolytes
Music: Slightly above average, guitar loops were nice but typical "intelligent underground" fare although the highest points is when the err (have no idea what the instrument is called) whatever it is comes in at :30 it reminded me of something....which i cant remember but its a good reminder.
Lyrics: Firstly, "Hands up cuz this is a ????in" I cant figure out what that is...'gankin'? Most of the rhymes are elementry school shit (shows-flows-tv-believe me), and that spelling out "BS" "AOTS" thing is so Fabolous i get a little gag reflex. The content wasnt much either except for a gem or possibly 2 (the "mass media" bit) but when the subject matter is a tv show you cant really be blamed for that.
Delivery: This is where you definitely make up for the low points in your Lyrics, the Kane-esque abilities with slant rhymes like "fastlane" with "casting" with "laughing" with "cracking" makes it flow nicely.

Overall: Nice shit.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

I have been looking for it. It is by possible the cure, but I haven't found it yet. If he wasn't bellowing through the riff, I could come up with the proper melody. The vocals follow the guitars melody and I think the end phrase is "All fall down". It has been making me mop0re crazy than usual trying to find it. But know this, it is not original!
j$ wrote:Thanks, Fried!
fried wrote:Flying Brick - I know this song and you didn't write it.
I thought the same (but was too cowardly to do anything but hint at it in my review). Which one is it? It's been driving me crazy all week trying to remember (although not crazy enough to listen to it again, obviously)

j$
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Remember reviews?

Reviews by Heather of the Hell Yeahs

<b>Abjure!</b> I don’t like the lyrics. The guitars are a bit, how do you say, high endishy scratchy. The singing is pretty good with nice harmonies. Baring the slightly misogynistic lyrics, it’s an ok song.

<b>Anthony “A-logâ€
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ummmm, does anyone watch 'attack of the show' regularly??

I ask because I got a PM from someone who mentioned they had heard my 'aots' on the show. I assumed it was a phraseology thing - that they had come to songfight and heard it here...

Then I checked my site statistics and over the last three days the hits to my site have increased 30-fold.

It's either that, or EVERYBODY wants to hear the Phunt AAD I am hosting!

Either way, it's great, and I am sure it won't continue, but hey criminy I would love to know if I am reaching out across America and beyond. Wings Across the World and all that!

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

did you see it? i can vouch for the fact that as they were showing screenshots of the site, the words "Johnny Cashpoint" did roam across my screen! Didn't hear anything, but did see.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:did you see it? i can vouch for the fact that as they were showing screenshots of the site, the words "Johnny Cashpoint" did roam across my screen! Didn't hear anything, but did see.
-bill
Yeah, got my name on it, and some of my artwork shown, but I got the impression (via IRC) that no actual songfight music was played, just the song that Spud & JB did.

I can't explain the increase mind. from 5 hits on Monday to 150 on Tuesday, 130 yesterday and 126 today. (I know I know it's not so impressive spelled out like that, but hey, this is me we're talking about!)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Excerpts of some of the songs were played during the commercial break bumps, and I think yours was one of them, J$, along with the Abjure! entry.

Sadly, none of my sites have gotten any extra love, even though my comic was linked from the fight page. I guess G4TV people don't like laid-back morose guitar improv. Oh well.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

if i knew nothing about songfight, i'd probably be more curious about what kind of music came from someone named johnny cashpoint than someone named fluffy.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Heh, yes, come this way, kiddies ... it's a bit like johnny cash, honestly :)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

johnny cash in drag maybe...... ;)
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Most crossdressers are heterosexual, Jack.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

news to me.

it's not that you don't have an interesting name fluffy, and you certainly have interesting music. it's just that if i didn't know your music, my first thought would probably be.....fluff? :)
Hi!
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Better than seeing somebody's name and thinking "Shite?" hehe
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.