Or Justin Timberlake's attempts to be hip (Eggplant reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I liked the dialog.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

I'm not in a terrible mood today, so my reviews may be less harsh than usual.

Dave Stiles - This has some real musical potential. Something does give me the impression that it's not original. This is album filler. The kind of song only a mother could love. Not that it's not likeable. It's just the sort of song that people that are already into a band will really like. Not a song to sell albums. Better than most songfight stuff.

Future Boy - Hey! I hate furry Mammals too. This is a quality kids song. Good job.

Dreamy Mo and the Commoners - This title is turning out alright. "Region 3 DVDs." This is a pretty fun song.

Grovy Cold Slaw - The vocals seem really shallow(recording). This is a very fast song. It's pretty good, but I'd spend some more time on the mix.

Madi - Madi! You're awesome. You've gotta get rid of that dorkula though. If you played with Wreckdom, we would let you eat all the candy you wanted. If you wanted a beer or ten, we'd let you do that too.

MC Denyer - I think that this would be funny if it was dropped by about three octaves. This is mostly just stupid.

Sonofsupercar - This isn't terrible, but it doesn't really have a hook. I don't know about you, but I've tried fishing without a hook and you don't catch much. For me, this doesn't capture the spirit of the title.

Starfinger - Your opening is great. I like the echoey vocal repeats. I think this is the first Starfinger song I've reviewed, and I liked it.

My vote goes to Starfinger unless I change my mind in the next 24 hours.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

DAveStYles: This song has potential. I like the overall sound of it. It doesn't stick with me though. I think it's partly the song title though..it's hard to write an 'I don't like eggplant' song. So groovy try :-) The chorus is still good ..it's just a shame that you have to sing those words. The flange on the vocals segwaying the verse to the chorus is cute... reminds me of the 70's. I like the way this song sounds but I think it could use 'something' more. A change up. The guitar gets a little drone like at points. Good tune though.

DmoCommons: As I've said... I'm not sure why the guitar doesn't sound quite right...my bad. I enjoyed doing the backing vocals..which really...was a lot of fun
<b>
Futureboy: I really dig this. If there is going to have to be songs about eggplant...well...then they should sound like this. I think this is my vote. I love the racing xylaphone in my left ear and the little harmonizing half time part is really neat. Short and sweet.
</b>
GroovyCslaw: Nice to hear ya again. This song is pretty good...but again... it suffers from it having to be a song about eggplant and being a rock song at the same time. I try to take it tongue and cheek though and for that it sounds like it was a lot of fun to make.

Madi: This is awesome..my second favorite. Its soooo cute. I love the negotiations and the complaining. I hate eggplant and I remember having similar negotiations with cooked tomatoes and onions and junk like that. I like the dramatic pause in the middle where we wait for the eggplant to heat up. AAAAAHHHHH. Of course the best part of this song is the 'iiiii don't liiiike eggplant' chorusing in the background... simply awesome.

MCD: no sir, didn't like it

SOS: Third favorite of this fight. The only serious eggplant song that really gets away with it. Not even sure why. I really dig ya'lls sound. I think for some reason that makes me forget you're singing about eggplant with any kind of passion and dramatics. Nice work.

Starf: The remix is nice. I like this ok. Veggies are the key to regularity...awesome. This isn't my favorite Starf song..but it certainly isn't bad. Again, like futureboy...if you have to write a song about eggplant...well it's gotta be sounding like this.

This isn't one of my favorite fights...but it's nice to be involved anyhow.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Aw Jim, man, grow a pair. Shit, I remember sitting at the dinner table for hours choking down pebble-sized bites of eggplant, using about half a gallon of milk to wash them down with. Kids these days got it so easy...
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

we don't make kids eat tree branches, why should they have to eat eggplant? i'm sure tree branches have some nutrients in them too
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

jb wrote:we don't make kids eat tree branches, why should they have to eat eggplant? i'm sure tree branches have some nutrients in them too
because we had to... thats why!

Also: Jim's speaking voice and Frankie's speaking voice are similar to my ears. Maybe it's just me, but they even sound a little like that do0d from 'friends'. I know that Frankie has already been accused of this in the past. Anyways..just a thought.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jb wrote:we don't make kids eat tree branches, why should they have to eat eggplant? i'm sure tree branches have some nutrients in them too
Only black birch, AFAIK. And everyone likes black birch (it tastes like spearmint).

But really, because what Hoblit said. And because Jim made himself look weak by letting Madi win.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

and because he really doesn't have a pair.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

the 192 kbps encoding for DMATC was not intentional. I just had it on that setting for some other mp3s I was making and forgot to change it back.

I can supply a 128 version upon request.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

As mentioned, the whole scene was improvised. As for letting her win, what really happened is that I started to think about it and realized how disgusting I think eggplant is, and I thought "What kind of hypocritical parent am I that I'm making her eat something I wouldn't eat myself?"

You pick your battles. Parents, weigh in.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Jim of Seattle wrote: You pick your battles. Parents, weigh in.
What I was saying was at that point, you'd already picked your battle, so you gotta follow through. But I'm not a parent (though I am an older brother and an uncle), so my opinion isn't worth much.

But really, I was just busting yer balls. I can't have Sober be on the receiving end all the time, can I?
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Parents, weigh in.
I usually come in right around 200 lbs, but I hardly see how that's relevant.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

c hack wrote:But really, I was just busting yer balls. I can't have Sober be on the receiving end all the time, can I?
Oh, I know. Truth is, it was fake. There wasn't really any eggplant. We were in my studio talking into a mic. In real life a) I would be tougher, and b) she'd relent much sooner.

All the talk about people loving her background vocals makes me think she could simply write another of her little piano pieces and throw on her singing the song title in harmony and she'd win by a landslide! Woo hooo!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i'm sure you're kidding, but i think the song would have to have more meat in it than that. either that or be a kickass (quasi)instrumental.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Jim of Seattle wrote:You pick your battles. Parents, weigh in.
the funny thing is, i personally hate nearly all vegetables. well, cooked ones, anyway. and one of my little girl's absolute favourite foods (after mac&cheese and hot dogs, of course) is green beans, which i cannot stand at all. she also likes several others which i won't eat. i'd never force her to eat something she doesn't like, because i am pretty picky about stuff sometimes. and i remember how much i hated sitting at the dinner table all evening, being told i wasn't getting up until i finished my fish or peas or carrots or whatever the hell. *shrug*
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

dave stiles: i like this a lot... it's got a nice feel to it... the riff in the background gets kind of repetive though and never changes... (i've had that happen to me before)... but it was a really technical riff... this is a simple one... you could've changed it up better...
but this is goin' to my tops... really nice job... that was the only thing that really peeved me... and maybe the length
like the mellow lil' guitar thing... think it could've been a really nice solo riff sort of thing though... (loved that vocal effect that comes in right before the last minute) that was cool... rarely do i see that effect use effectively... pos. vote tops...

dreamymo: good production... it kinda sounds like a messy 311 though... it doesn't sound very tight the whole time... and that wouldn't be such a big thing... if it didn't sound like 311... which is a really tight band...
i'd like it a lot better...
it has some deffinate good stuff happenin'... i just don't really feel it right now... still get a tops for effort \m/

futureboy: haha i can't handle this haha... it's well done for what it is... i just... i'm sorry... don't let me get ya down... it's good for what it is...

gravycoldslaw: this is pretty good... uhm... it's kinda bland soundin' though... powerchords have always been a tough thing to get into... specially if there isn't a good backin' (the riff in the back is ok)...
nice tremelo... uhm... i look forward to hearin' somethin' else by ya...

madi: hahaha that's too cute... great production... interestin' theory... cool lil' story... and it's just toooo cute... tops pos. vote

denyer+crap: i'm sorry...

sonsofsupercar: good stuff... interestin' choice of chord progressions... love when it hits in... \m/... that's fuckin' awesome... i don't really feel nothin' wrong with this song at all... it's nice... i enjoyed it a lot... tops pos. vote...

starfinger: the vox could be turned up just a bit... that's it... (really like how it got towards the last minute) tops...

(i'll re-listen to the tops)...
5.dreamymo
4.davestiles
3.starfinger
2.madi
1.sonsofsupercar
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Poor June wrote:madi: that's too cute
man you can find a flaw in anything
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Poor June wrote: starfinger: the vox could be turned up just a bit...
check out the remix I posted earlier in the thread (or put on somesongs), if you are interested.

-craig
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

I didn't have time to review this fight, but I had to congratulate Madi for her entry. Very catchy. I'm not sure if Jim or Madi was behind this part, but the longer-than-expected microwave section was comic brilliance.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Thanks, Josh. The microwave was about my only idea in the song. Madi really gets the credit for this song otherwise.

(Incomplete) list of undefeated Songfighters:
MC Frontalot
Madi

(Incomplete) list of winless Songfighters:
Jim of Seattle
I Dunno, Some Guy
Marcus Kellis
WreckdoM
Dan the Apathetic
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

(Incomplete) list of incredibly tactless Songfighters:
Jim of Seattle
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Thanks, Josh. The microwave was about my only idea in the song. Madi really gets the credit for this song otherwise.

(Incomplete) list of undefeated Songfighters:
MC Frontalot
Madi

(Incomplete) list of winless Songfighters:
Jim of Seattle
I Dunno, Some Guy
Marcus Kellis
WreckdoM
Dan the Apathetic
You can add "Nil" to the undefeateds.

You can add "King Arthur" to the winless.

(Which is a crying shame, btw)

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)