Get 'em while they're hot (Fresh Dog reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yes, that'll teach me to reply with a hang-over. I think my point still stands, even if the supporting evidence is erroneous. I think I'd still get some marks in an exam ;)
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Future Boy »

Is it just me or did the Visitations entry sound familiar? Maybe it's just cuz I listened to the fight a couple days ago.

I can't decide whether to vote for it or not because of this uncertainty.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Looks like the Fightmasters made the decision for you :)
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

beatlebrent wrote:how to reveal yourself as a total jackass in 10 posts or less.
impressive.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

deshead wrote:Looks like the Fightmasters made the decision for you
It does look that way, doesn't it.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

So what's the deal with the Visitation song?
Songfighter since back in the day.
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

11 and counting, blue.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

stueym wrote: This (shock horror) means I am British as well as Scottish but that people from Northern Ireland are NOT British. In reality people get offended no matter what you call them.
I am Australian - though my Head of State, the dear Queen of Australia is British - but that doesn't help me get into the express lane at Heathrow airport - I have to line up with all the foreigners. And I distinctly remember seeing her freeloading, pisshead son - the 2nd in line to the Australian throne - barracking for England against the Wallabies during the last Rugby World Cup

My parents were British until 1949 - when everybody suddenly became Australian (err.. everyone in Australia that is - it wasn't a worldwide phenomena). Which is weird because their grandparents were acually Irish.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Bjizzle: The big breath at the very opening is cute, but god-damn this is sedate. The chorus get really mumbly. More takes! Don't turn into Marcus Kellis.

Jordan Siivizzle: Harmonies are forced and off a bit. That'd be OK if they weren't such an obvious hook attempt. This would blend right into the background of every other middle of the road indie pop band on somafm. Dunno if that's good or bad.

KURTizzle: So why do I hate Gert but love this tune? That vocal delivery is suh-weet. I think a lot of my Gert distaste, on the last song anyways, was the high-school dick-joke lyrics. This one has some attitude and sizzle to it - I don't feel like I'm watching Caddyshack. Not any sort of all-time favorite tune for me, but a good song. Great singing in the 1:40 bit as well.

Luke Henizzle: Yessir, you are definately tapping right into that Modest Mouse vein with a vengeance. Great song.

Frontabizzle: It is a song about the tiny codependant dog! Possibly it is a tiny codependant rap song. Lyrcis are cute - "IRC" sounds like "Aisle C."

Papercut Bragizzle: Well there's a beatles song in there somewhere. Waiting for something good to say about your tune aaaaaaaand....

Rosscizzle: This one didn't grab me, sorry.

Rosemary Lee Izzle: Man you just can't win. Wow, big POP on Poodle. Funny song.

sonofsupercizzle: You might find it funny to hear the first draft of this song: http://www.sonofsupercar.org/music/song ... ed-dog.mp3 Watch your volume, the right side guitar cheeses out pretty badly. Put your own lyrics on it and turn it in next week!

Steve Gambizzle: More middle of the road acoustical wooha. Your song might have rated higher if this fight didn't have so many other tunes of the same ilk. Cute "Alice's Restaurant" extension job on the verses - but not really.

StueyMizzle: Still got a buncha junk down in your bass area, mister. cut cut cut. My Irish friends enjoyed this tune. The vocals don't seem to flow with the music - not sure if that's intentional.

Visitizzles: Loved the gained-out solo guitar bit. It's like twee with ass.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

89 votes! awesome. seems pretty crazy, but awesomeness 'cause that means a lot people are tuning into songfight. its really cool to have a load of people listen to your song you wrote.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

j$ wrote:This fight is a given. Those who don't know it will when results time comes around.
MCF is our very own internet superstar. Going up against him is like trying to wrench a chewy stick from the jaws of a small but ferocious terrier. You're not going to win but the trying is a hell of a lot of fun.

Although, MCF, only 89 this time round? Where's the 614 who turned up to vote for 'Romantic Cheapskate' - is your influence waning? Mc Frontalot in 'going down the dumper' shocker? :)
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

jseavers05 wrote:89 votes! its really cool to have a load of people listen to your song you wrote.
In this particular fight, I wouldn't count on that many people having listened to the songs. Sometimes second is the best you can place. Congrats, Jordan.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

j$ wrote:
beatlebrent wrote:This might be fair since the maps will all controversially group it as Great Britain, which some kids might not know.
There is nothing controversial about this. You may not approve of the fact that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of Great Britain, but that's the way it is. Until those countries become fully independent, then the maps are correct.
Actually, j$ I think there is somthing a little contraversial about this.

Wales IS NOT and never has been a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Wales never signed the act of union.. Scotland did and so did Ireland and thus they are represented on the flag the 'Union Jack' However the Welsh national flag is not represented on the the GB flag...Why?

Because Wales is not part of GB and is infact an occupied country. Raped throughout the centuries etc.etc.

Just to point out that the GB maps calling it all GB may be contraversial to some
mc_frontalot
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by mc_frontalot »

That romantic cheapskate turnout was from a week when Penny Arcade linked to song fight. This week was just plain old me. The horde at my command is actually not that massive... though I have enough votes in my pocket that Jordan should think of himself in the alternate win position.

I did try to lose honorably that one time as Rapper Name Redacted but that didn't work either, so I just try to aim folks at Song Fight. Surely some of them will stick around.
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

I think that's great, turning the world on to Songfight. I checked out your website too, MC. Very cool stuff. I think if you ever sell your original prescription glasses, that would rock. Congrats on winning.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

beatlebrent wrote:I think that's great, turning the world on to Songfight....Congrats on winning.
Um, yeah...
...too bad "the world" doesn't continue to visit songfight.org, and vote in fights that don't include Frontalot. Congrats though, it was such a tough win. That explains why "Pica" is listed as the winner. Initial avoidance of the obligatory groan, until one actually looks at the fight.
Look at the Red Door fight...59 votes...gee, somehow, "the world" didn't even check out the other fight, after placing that vote for "Pica".

My winners for a song appropriately titled "Fresh Dog" are Visitations, Paper Cut Brigade, and Stuey M. Actually, I voted for Stuey. I'll be listening to your tune everytime I'm digging for a smile.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

boltoph wrote:
My winners for a song appropriately titled "Fresh Dog" are Visitations, Paper Cut Brigade, and Stuey M. Actually, I voted for Stuey. I'll be listening to your tune everytime I'm digging for a smile.
Thanks! :D

I love you Big B, seasons greetings and remember to save some room for Hogmanay....then 4 weeks later Burns night (Jan-25)!!! Us Scots know how to stretch the party season :lol:
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."