My song rocks! (I like to pretend reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

boltoph wrote:
Smalltown Mike wrote:
blue wrote:it's the lyrics, man. the first mention of a tongue on peach fuzz and it's off the list.
That was mine, not Boltoph's—and if I'd known that is all it would take, I would have plugged that line into the first SF song I wrote a year ago.
Hmm I didn't hear any line like that and I heard the song about 40-60 times
You didn't hear it 'cause it's not in this song. I think blue's just being coy.
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

Monorail - I really dig!
BUTTZ?
Andy-O
A New Player

gert=good

Post by Andy-O »

No time for a full review at the moment, but Gert.... wow. Good freakin stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/andystunes
Your Money Wasted
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Your Money Wasted »

thanks for all your reviews and replies, everyone.

i suppose next time i'll make it shorter, practice more, use my amp to record rather than my effects box (i thought the latter sounded better, but i guess that's not the general opinion), and generally just give it more time and attention.
jim fallope
A New Player

Post by jim fallope »

boltoph wrote:
a bebop a rebop wrote:I've only listened to one Bob Dylan album in my life (Blood on the Tracks), and that only a few times. I suppose this could be seen as an insult to the man, but I don't see how you could have inferred that from the song.

Also, to "coin" a phrase generally means to create it. I figured out what you meant, though. Which phrases were you referring to?
To coin a phrase is to use some widely know, cliche phrase, like "Love is simple". Or "when it rains, it pours". At least in my book. The phrases I feel you coined are "Please ya not to tease ya" and "going down the sink". I guess the more proper coinage would be "washing down the drain". just the general vibe, "shared a lie".
to coin a phrase:

To invent a phrase, which if it is apt or imaginative may gain currency, and become popular generally. Today this phrase is mostly used ironically to accompany a banal remark or cliché. 'Who, to coin a phrase, would have thought of meeting you?' Ngaio Marsh: Hand in Glove, ch iv (1962)" From "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition).

you're both right
hopelessly amateur, yet naive
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

that's pretty funny re: Mike's lyric. It was from his "April Morning,' but I guess it stuck with me in the wrong way.

i really, really, really, really, really, really despise radio guitar rock. as soon as i hear it, the skip button happens. you guys' songs consitently hit exactly all the wrong notes with me - it is music with which i have no common ground at all. i listen to every song, but that doesn't mean i give songs a bunch of extra chances. if i don't like it, it comes off the list. if you ever do a song i like, i'll review it. it's that easy.

it's in exactly the same class of tune as Wreckdom - i know that one in maybe 15 songs will be worth listening to, so i listen to the first couple minutes and then just don't bother any more. you guys have yet to do a song that in any way interests me. it's not personal disprespect, especially not for you, Boltoph. and i know that if i give it a negative review, i'll get shit about it. what's the point of that?

my favorite song from this fight was "apply liberally." production rarely impresses me - i'm looking for the art behind the music. those guys couldn't get a drum sound to save their lives, but god-DAMN that song had some talent behind it.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

Boltoph is just more ironic than I, I suppose.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

a bebop a rebop: I guess you decided to review everyone but me. I wonder why?

And Pedro I appreciate your comments. Any small step towards a good song in the eyes of the masses is good. Personally I like this song way better than my Bitter Orange which was SUPPOSED to be the hardcore song that this song actually was. My song for Don't You promises to kick ass at least in the music part (not sure about the lyrics).
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

Dear Mr. Blue...I could care less that you "really, really, really, really, really, really despise radio guitar rock".
Most of us could care less that you "listen to every song"
All of us (If I may speak for the group) could care less that you think their songs "consitently hit exactly all the wrong notes with me".
You say you wont include a song in your reviews because you don't like it...that's a piece of shit.
Howzabout this...I don't like band names that start with the letter R...sorry Ross Durand - you're outta fucking luck...

Dear Gert...keep on rockin.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
one_dumb_mick
A New Player

Post by one_dumb_mick »

i was almost sure ass purse would have had a song for this title.....what the shit fools
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Clats wrote:Dear Mr. Blue...I could care less that you "really, really, really, really, really, really despise radio guitar rock".
All of us (If I may speak for the group) could care less that you think their songs "consitently hit exactly all the wrong notes with me".
You say you wont include a song in your reviews because you don't like it...that's a piece of shit.
Howzabout this...I don't like band names that start with the letter R...sorry Ross Durand - you're outta fucking luck...

Ummm, dude, if he were to give a review, I guarantee it would be like this: "I really, really, really, really, really despise radio guitar rock. Songs like this consistently hit all the wrong notes with me." Except possibly ruder.

You've made it crystal clear that you don't care about his opinion. It makes absolutely no sense for you to want him to give his opinion if you truly don't care about it.

Not giving a review? That's shit, according to you. Giving a review that honestly tells you that he doesn't like the style of music at all? That's shit too, apparently. Gee, it looks like there was a reason why he didn't want to give his opinion, because either way he's screwed.

You don't want to review all the songs? That's fine, dude. Seriously, it's okay to not review every song. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, or even in the wee scheme of things. It's not "a piece of shit" to do so. Here's the thing, though: If one has made up one's mind to not review all the songs, how does one decide what songs to review?

Choosing which songs to review based on the first letter of the band name is arbitrary. Choosing which songs to review based on whether you like the song or not is not.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

erikb wrote:Choosing which songs to review based on the first letter of the band name is arbitrary. Choosing which songs to review based on whether you like the song or not is not.
Well isn't <i>that</i> an arbitrary distinction!

/kidding

This week, I've chosen to not reviews songs whose titles lack the word "Lungfish".
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

No, it's really not.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... a cliche statement for sure, but still a true one in my books. Anyway, blue DID review our song in the end, Boltoph implied that he would have appreciated reviews from those he respects after being left off the list, and Blue responded, with "review like" comments sprinkled in there.

Some of it I understand such as not liking "radio guitar rock" (as he defines it, whatever that may be), or having a bias towards a lyricist from a member of the Gert organization; while some of the implications I derive from his post (like the idea that there is no art or talent behind our songs) I don't agree with.

I don't, nor does anyone have to argue about this! Noone is gonna change my mind about the talent, the quality of writing and production and playing that I personally have been fortunate enough to experience with these guys. If someone misses what's actually going on, so be it.
And I get the implication that as far as musical performance and production, he seems to have no complaints.

But for what ever reason, Gert doesn't resonate with him. Specualting on why is ridiculous!! Anyone who knows any musicians (hello, all of us) knows that their are complicated reasons for every single opinion we have!! Some are surface and obivious, some are deeply rooted in our histories and experiences and egos.

But it doesn't matter, I didn't drum on that for Blue, I did it for Boltoph, Smalltown Mike, The Hip Cola, Tonetripper, Deshead and ME. I know that everyone on this tune did it for the total buzz we get throwing together a tune with six guys online. Nothing new for some, but something new for us. Gert functions like a real band as opposed to a "collab". It's a trip.

If you want to share your opinion about what we did, great, be it negative or positive. If you don't, great. It doesn't matter. Frankly, I've checked out some of the stuff Blue suggested the other day in the digging thread, and none of it struck me as being meaniful. Does this make Blue's tastes "wrong"? No, it makes them different. Big deal.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

it's all about branding dude. if you didn't have such a dorky looking icon, people might like you better. ;)
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

hahaha! Yeah. "branding". heh.

Just for that, we're switching it to a swedish supermodel.

Wait. Gert Johnny IS a swedish supermodel. Oh well...
gert
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by gert »

Gert loves Blue. Gert is also a big fan of Jack.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

HEY!! Who said you could speak?? You're screwing up our fan base you bastard!!

...I have no idea who that was.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Clats wrote:Dear Mr. Blue...I could care less that you "really, really, really, really, really, really despise radio guitar rock".

Boltoph, specifically, does care that people don't like Gert. You are not Boltoph, nor are you someone anyone gives a shit about. Right now, you're just a rude wee noob who should learn to shut his fucking mouth until he learns to read and comprehend.

Leaf, I'd never say Gert wasn't overflowing with talent and skill. It's just that it's all directed at covering Alice in Chains songs. :D

It really isn't disrespect, it really is a no-win situation, and I really will review the first original song you guys post. But I don't think there's any question that Gert is a highly-derivative-on-purpose band, and I've got no interest in that. Or, at least, I've got no interest in that particular style of derivation. If you were ripping off Kerosene 454 or Drive Like Jehu, I'd worship you.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

blue wrote:If you were ripping off Kerosene 454 or Drive Like Jehu, I'd worship you.
Carpetburn rip off Drive Like Jehu all the time and you didn't give a shit :cry:

shit, I mean...we take it to the next level errrrr :oops:
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Furrypedro wrote:
blue wrote:If you were ripping off Kerosene 454 or Drive Like Jehu, I'd worship you.
Carpetburn rip off Drive Like Jehu all the time and you didn't give a shit :cry:

shit, I mean...we take it to the next level errrrr :oops:
last time i checked JLJ weren't gay overblown emo. :D i hear plenty of Braid and Cursive in there, tho.

I don't think I reviewed any of the fights you were in.. This is decent stuff, tho.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

blue wrote:Boltoph, specifically, does care that people don't like Gert... skill...
It's not "like" that I meant, I'd like to try and respect stuff i don't necessarily like, i sometimes scoff at other stuff, everyone has likes and dislikes.
I'm good, and nothing's to be liked by all. Nothing ever will be. As far as respect goes, you've said it, I appreciate it. Honestly, Gert's not trying to be radio-friendly, these are all just ideas out of are heads, the way the come. Personally, I'm just psyched for people to keep rockin, feeling grooves, sliding in and out, etc.
:)