My song rocks! (I like to pretend reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Fistula
A New Player

My song rocks! (I like to pretend reviews)

Post by Fistula »

And those drums ain't programmed, either.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Hey cool, the new songs are up. (I like to pretend, too.)
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

This is one huge fight ... I already did my review for s___rock ... if you want to hear an awesome one check out Melvin's ... that guy is a god I say ... by the way how do you like my sweet cover art for this fight?
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

Nice art, Andrew.

I'll do a full review tommorrow, but by immediate favorites are Jim Fallope and Your Money Wasted.
TruthAndRegret
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TruthAndRegret »

I could have chosen S___ Rock, but noooooo, I had to choose the fight with everyone and their dog on it...
_-=Truth_-_&_-_Regret=-_
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

welcome back MRRT! long time no see, dude.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

TruthAndRegret wrote:I could have chosen S___ Rock, but noooooo, I had to choose the fight with everyone and their dog on it...
I always end up on the song with a million different people. And I was pumped cuz I like my song this week. Oh well.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Killy: This is sloppy as hell. You need to jump on the whole 'multitracking' bandwagon, although I guess the whole perform it live thing is your thing. Who am I to argue? That said, this song is nice, but could be way better with a better performance.

Doscientos: Cute, poppy.. I dunno what this reminds me of, something from the early 60s. I like your voice.

State Shirt: This is a pretty nice song. A bit whiney almost at times, and really, it's pretty generic. A lot of gloss on a tired fomula does not make a great song. Still, it kept my attention and it's a pretty good song.

The Cutie Pies: This is defintiely very 'safe' music. Something you might hear on a teen-centric afterschool special. Do they still make those these days? I remember back in the 80s, there were a shitload of those things. God, TV sucked back then. Anyway, the song. It was okay.

Dankins Strikes Back: If you're too lazy to properly ID3 your song, why should I bother giving you a constructive review? I'll tell you why- because I'm fair and unbiased. This isn't very interesting at all. And there's no vocals. Normally, instrumentals don't bother me that much, but this is not good enough to carry without singing, sorry.

Monorail RT: This falls into the same catagory as State Shirt's song above. Well done, but I'm left feeling nothing. Those plinky things are getting annoying, and I don't like the repetitive chorus.

Jeff Robertson: I like the opening guitar tone. This sounds very 'home recording' to me. But I like that you're a guitar player who's not afraid to throw a solo in there ;). Overall, this ain't a bad song at all, needs real drums (or at least less repetitive samples) and a bit of polish. The vocals are pretty good, but also need some polish. Favorite so far.

Truth and Regret: The music sounds great, the vocals sound a bit uninspired. SCREAM, DAMMIT. Also, loopy, synthy techno/industrial is so 10 years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Eh, I'm just rambling. In the end, this is a tight performance (well, the vox, anyway, because everything else is synths, right?) and sounds pretty good.

Gert: 3/4 bluesy rock was a good choice. This sounds pretty generic, but really, really well produced/performed, so you get points for that. This wouldn't be out of place on FM rock radio. So, if that was what you were going for, awesome, you got it. Probably the strongest song so far in this fight.

Tom di Giovanni: Can't tell if that's a Brit or Aussie or Scot or Irish accent, and don't want to check your profile (if you have one) but this is a right spiffy little folk ditty. I don't like folk music, but that doesn't make the song any less good.

Your Money Wasted: Finally, some freakin' GARAGE RAWK. Gets my vote, probably. Total cheese, through and through, including the wanky guitar fills. [possible vote]

Tim Hinkle: It took about 5 seconds for me to realise I don't like this song. Okay, it gets better. Now I can't figure out what I didn't like about the start... I'm actually getting into this song quite well. Still, the lyrics bug me for some reason. I'm left feeling conflicted. Hate the lyrics. Like the overall vibe of the song.

Brass Gopher: Oh god. This is horrible. Oh, it's a joke. HAHA. Kind of funny, but mostly just fucking stupid.

Jack Calico: This is the 2nd worst rap I've ever heard. It's surprising that I can grade rap in terms of worst/2nd worst, etc., because I don't like rap to begin with, but man. This just plain sucks balls. Sweaty balls.

Jacob Lynn: Oh good, a quiet, intimate guy and guitar song. With a lot of hiss, and the chords to 'Simple Kind Of Man' by Lynard Skynard. And horrible vocals. Thank you for this song. It has inspired me to hit [>>]

Jeff Henderson: Hey, I like this a lot. Nice voice, dude. Can't really offer anything constructive here, except maybe don't gear shift through the parts so quickly- seems like the song is over before it gets going. [possible vote]

Jim Fallope et al: Great singing skillz, but I really don't like this kinda music. Still, can't deny the talent displayed here.

Ken Woodard: What, is the guy and guitar fight this week? Jeeze, though. Put some effort into your songs.

Kevin Alborough: This sounds like it has some effort put into it. I take it back, Ken Woodard, putting effort into a song does not a good song make. This makes me feel uncomfortable, but in a bad way, like I want to skip the song before I get sick. WTF is up with all the warpy pitchshifting? This would actually fucking rock if not for the sickness-inducing pitching. Ask yourself this: "Do I want to make people sick, or like my song?"

MMMC: White rap. (shudder) I mean, I guess you have flow and all, and this is pretty funny. Some sick noise effects. But, eh. A+ for production.

Rone Rivendale: Unlike MMMC above, you don't have any flow. "Well my name is Rone, and I'm here to say". The ending was retarded.

The Subatomic Particles: This is pretty great! Has the same sort of vibe as Tim Hinkle's song, but with really fantastic vox, and good lyrics. [possible vote]

Wren Edward: Why are you whispering? You know, this would be a great song (I love everything about it, the lyrics, the arrangement, the melody) but for a couple things: 1) You should never use background noise and hiss as the lead instrument, 2) Instead of singing like you're afraid someone in the other room is going to hear you (I mean, that's silly- by submitting your performance to songfight, you're exposing it to potentially *thousands* of people, who cares what the bozo in the other room thinks?) sing with some conviction. It's not like you don't have a good voice, either, girl. From what I could hear of it above the hiss (and was that a TV I heard?) you have a very sweet voice. Seriously, if this was performed better, it's the kind of song I'd hear and immediately fall in love with and seek out every other song by you. As it is now, it's basically unlistenable. Please post a better version of this, it's a good song.

And Your Money Wasted gets my vote!
* this is not a disclaimer
jim fallope
A New Player

Post by jim fallope »

hello all:

i'm new to the site and have never posted any reviews before. you see, i have this dilemma. if i post reviews i worry about being presumptous and arrogant, even more so if you consider how much my songs suck. then again i feel that reviews are the dues one must pay in order to be considered an accepted member of the forum. i've decided to throw caution to the wind and give my opinions, no matter how flawed they may be. please ignore all spelling and punctuation errors (not to mention errors in judgement). 8)

sincerely:

jim fallope

brass gopher:

very funny. you had me going for a second. i thought you might actually be creed.

cutie pies:

extremely cool. reminds me of the magnetic fields, especially the girl(or guy who sounds like a girl?). very 'claudia gonsonesque' voice. love it.

dankins strike back:

minimalist to the max. liked it, though. it sounds like some sort of latin dance rhythm, i'm not sure which because i'm not an expert on latin dances. of course, i'm probably way off base because i'm really not an expert on anything, especially music, as you'll be able to tell when you hear my song. i'm imagining an old cuban pianist laying down his stogey to work on his latest compostition in an otherwise empty havana dance studio. the song definately gets my imagination flowing.

doscientos:

also pretty minimalist. your voice reminds me of the girl from dressy bessy. very shirelles or lesley gore. cool tune.

gert:

great harmonies. great production. a bit too 'grungy' for me. the chorus has an 'alice in chains' feel to it. when i saw that the tune was 6:08, i thought that it might be too long, but it held my attention throughout.

jack calico:

funny. some of your ryhmes seem to be a bit out of rythym. trying to squeeze too many syllables in there (again, when you hear my song, you'll see i have no right to complain). now, when you say 'i pretend that i'm a shaker' do you mean that you are a 'shaker' in the sense that you are a mover and a shaker, or that you're one of those dudes who believes in total separation of men and women and make furniture, because that would be really funny.

jacob lynn:

you have been listening to a lot of iron and wine.

jeff robertson:

this seems a bit 'trebly.' maybe needs a bit more bottom. i really liked the guitar solo parts, and the chord progression.

Jeff Travis Henderson:

this is a really cool tune. the last guitar solo/rock out part is fairly transcendental, and there's lots of variety throughout. i wish the rock out part would have gone on for a couple more bars maybe, and then the distant piano. maybe they could have faded into one another.

Jim Fallope & His Fallopian Dudes:

it really sucks that my song came on after jeff travis henderson, because my song really sucks by comparison.

ken woodard:

this one is okay. i don't like the sparse percussion.

kevin alborough:

this is insane. i really like it. if you heard my 'wapiod' you would know i'm a fan of over the top vocal effects. i don't know how i feel about that part where the guitar/synth? is panning from left to right repeatedly. its kinda distracting. i really like all the little electronic sounds, though. your vocals reminded me of a casette tape you might find of yourself as a child twenty years ago, you know, from that 'playskool' tape recorder we all had. very cool.

marcus kellis:

i like this song. i just hope it isn't an accurate portrayal of your valentine's day and your romantic life in general. take it from someone who's married. st. valentine's day is just a big drain on the wallet. be glad you are free from the expense.

MMMC

what i can hear is really funny. the problem is that even with the headphones on i'm having trouble deciphering a lot of the lyric. it's mostly the parts that have all that echo plastered on. very cool beats and tune.

Monorail RT

didn't do much for me. a bit repetitive, but then again, i don't have much room to talk.

Rone Rivendale:

the song doesn't do much for me, but the rant at the end brings back memories of a time that i'm sure we've all experienced.

state shirt:

my god, it's nearly perfect!! song rocks; lyrics need some work. then again, as i see now that the song is five-minutes and four-seconds long, i'm tempted to think it might be a bit too long. nice synth-strings (i'm sure you didn't rent out the philadelphia philharmonic for songfight). i like how it fades out in the end.

the sub-atomic particles:

yes you are, yes you are, yes you are, yes you are!!! maybe i'm imagining things, but i think i might hear a mandolin or uke rocking away far in the background. i'm probably imagining things. definately the most authentic emotion thus far.

tim hinkle:

this is going to sound really weird, but i'm envisioning a fantastically cut martial-arts dude doing poses with num-chucks in rhthym with the song whilst standing in front of an out-of-control prairie-fire. not during the chorus, though. only during the verses. i hope this doesn't ruin your song. has anyone ever told you that you sound like dave gahan from depeche mode? you do. i really like this song, i'm digging it. the chorus part reminds of some sixties folk rock number.

tomdg:

i like the song. my one suggestion would be to end the song after the first 'i like to pretend because i'm me." but that's just me. i like really short songs.

truth and regret:

whoa. :shock: had to turn down the volume. i feel like i've been transported to some underground european dance club. all i need now are some underground european dance club drugs. i'm not really a fan of this type of music, but it sounds as if you've mastered the genre, so good job. my only qualm is the vocal seems a bit stiff. loosen that up and maybe you be sitting in the v.i.p. room of some underground european dance club.

Wren Edward:

i love this. cute and coy. i'm a bit disappointed, though. i could have sworn i heard a fraction of second of glockenspiel near the beginning, and that's just what this song needs, a quick glockenspiel/xylophone solo, in the middle or at the end, fading out.

you money wasted:

i bet you get them rocking at the bar. a bit too rocking for me, though. oh, wait, it's nice and sweet now. the drums seem a bit off in some places. okay, they're rocking again. those harmonies seem a bit off, too. only one question; why do you wish the sun, which shoots it's fire (just on itself) was something else?

take it sleazy:

jim fallope 8)
hopelessly amateur, yet naive
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

it's kind of an amalgam, but it's based in truth. alas.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
TruthAndRegret
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TruthAndRegret »

I'm gonna be completely honest here. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I hope that you will be as brutally honest with me. I'm not trying to be a bad guy, but any compliments you recieve will be well deserved. I haven't reached a vote conclusion yet, but here are the reviews:

great list (the contenders)

jeff travis henderson - Great poppy little song. Good instrumentation and mixing as well. I like it a lot!

truth and regret - I really like the synth line, and the synth guitar. I'm not totally sure on the vocals, they are out of tune in some spots. I would vote for this one, but it's me. I <3 me :)

the cutie pies - I like pretty much everything about this song. Whatever it is you did, you did it right. I especially like the bassline. It makes me want to dance. It's a little bit to happy for me, but I'm willing to overlook that.

your money wasted - Mmmmm! I likes it! Despite vocals that aren't quite on the money, I really like the energy that this song has.

MonorailRT - I like the atmosphere this song projects. It's a litte bit too repetitive, but overall pretty cool.

Tim Hinkle - Ok, this track creeped the H E double hockey stick out of me. It's about stalking and non-consensual sex, right? I don't really like the subject matter too much, but that's why I like this song so much. It gets it's desired effect. The goth-like vocals are the finishing touch.

State Shirt - Great song. If you want to win points with me, you gotta stray from the conventional, and this song doesn't really do that. It sounds like something (insert top 40 acoustic rock group here) would write. What really makes this song great is how well it builds, especially towards the end. What a great finish!

Gert - I like the angst. I love the vocals. The song while not all that complex, captivates my attention really well. I also love the drums. It has a great sound overall.

Doscientos - I love the minimal karaoke style of this one. I could really imagine this in a Quentin Tarantino movie. It just has a certain mood, and that's what makes it great.

good list (the song is good, but not winning material)

jim fallope - I guess all this is pretend? Crazy. Rather comical. I enjoyed it!

mmmc - Ok, why do all the good nerdcore groups have to drown everything in effects? I like this a lot, but the effects are TOO STRONG. How can you tell if the effects are too strong? I'll tell you: Can you hear the words? If not, the effects are too strong.

Jeff Robertson - The drums don't really go with the style. Keep the shuffle away. You need a more basic beat first. Like "boom, pah, boom-boom, pah" and then add some high-hat. Singing is somewhat boring too.

mediocre list (be more creative next time, or something)
wren edward - some of the notes are in a little weird of a range or something, and they aren't sung quite right. Overall, this song reminded me of Marzipan from Homestar Runner. Bored me to death.

Marcus Kellis - It's just a little too noobish for me. Singing needs work, but that takes a lot of time. Just keep practicing, you'll get better.

Ken Woodard - Very funny, and not bad. Just not my type of music.

Tom di Giovanni - If all you have is vocal and guitar, you better be prepared to offer me something out of the ordinary. This song isn't bad, but it's just not that great.

The Sub-Atomic Particles - I love the vocal effect. I really don't like the vocals, however. If you're gonna have vocals like that, you need some serious thrash metal behind it. And seriously, that's way too repetitive. Waaaaaay too repetitive. So take a chill pill.

Jacob Lynn - I could see this being played in a coffee shop somewhere. I don't really like the shuffled effect. It makes it sound really cheap and cut-rate. Not a terrible song, I'm sure there are people who like this kinda this, but I don't.

bad list (no offense, learn some basic music skills)
kevinalborough - Ouch. The vocals hurt my ears. I fail to see how this is music. I like the lyrics, but this really doesn't sound good at all.

jackcalico - I like rap that has some sort of dynamic to it. This is just is boring. Work on livening things up.

ron rivendale - Ok, you need to learn some basic musical concepts here. Listen to some rap songs and analyze what makes them good. You need to work on 1) composition and 2) rhythm. Good rhythm is what makes a good rap song. Remember that.

get a clue list (um... what the heck?)
dankinsstrikesback - Um... ok... it's a piano. I like the first riff. I was waiting for the strings and drums to come in. This could be a great rap backup track. If you want to win me over, you need lyrics. I can't stress this enough.
_-=Truth_-_&_-_Regret=-_
MonorailRT
A New Player

Post by MonorailRT »

Sup blue :) Thanks for the reviews guys.

Brass Gopher - Makes me want to listen to the beastie's Benny And The Jets

Dankin Strikes Back - I personally don't have any problem with instrumentals, though you're not going to win any fights with them, but I think this track is mostly a shame because there's potential in that little riff you return to throughout the piece. If you ran out of time, I'd have probably been tempted to save the piano line to use as part of an entry another week.

Cutie Pies - I like this, catchy and melodic. I think that you could improve it by backing off some of the synths a little, perhaps natural (or more natural sounding) drums, or nerfing that sweepy pad sound to some degree.

Doscientos - This is great, but I think it's also another missed opportunity, as I would have loved to hear some more instrumentation to fill the song out. It's good as it is, but I think it's really good tune, and could work really well with some more stuff on it. A conscientious songfighter would post the untreated vox and guitar for remixing fun :)

Gert - Nice production and harmonies, definite angsty teen drama soundtrack potential. The only bit that doesn't flow as well is the chorus (or the bit with the title anyway), which isn't particularly uncommon for songfights.

Jack Calico - I like the beat, but the vocals don't do much for me, and they really, really need a bass cut. It's not a million miles away from a Buck 65 sort of sound and pacing though, excluding the lyrical content of course. If you don't know him it might be worth a listen to see if that kind of feel could work with your style.

Jacob Lynn - I like the tape hiss on this, the rest isn't really my thing. The vocals start very quiet, but get stronger as you go through, so if you're pressed for time it might be worth recording two takes straight after each other, without stopping. Gives you another option at least.

Jeff Robertson - The solo has rock power. Decent song, though that kick drum is a bit to heavy, and the vox a bit too low at times. The chorus is really nice, but I think the verses would have been improved by changing the guitar style from those stroked chords to something a bit more chuggy and rhythmic.

Jeff Travis Henderson: - Elliott Smith-y rip offs of Roy Orbison, I do declare! Good track though, I really like the breathy quality to your voice, and the production is top notch.

Jim Fallope - The toyota corolla is the songfight car of choice, I'm sure I've heard at least a couple of other songs where it gets a name check. I like the style, and falsetto works well, but I think it could have used a big twangy bass sound propelling things forward to round it off, and to balance out your voice.

Ken Woodard - Just wack the track through a limiter before you release it. I actually like the tinkly bits of guitar near the end best of all, some real potential in that kind of sound.

Kevin Alborough - I wasn't really into this song, but when that breathy compressor kicking in and you do the "very sexy robot" bit it rocks. I'd have preferred if it continued in the more dance-y style, and went with a vocal line tied more closely to the beat, but it's not bad.

Marcus Kellis - It's been a while since I listened to a Marcus Kellis song, but this seems pretty good. It almost seems like you're making up for the lack of a Yook entry :)

MMMC - I like the busy production, but I'm not such a fan of the panning on the drums, and mixing the vox at that level/adding that level of processing almost makes them more like part of the beat rather than the focus of the song. This is almost text book nerdcore, but it's well enough done to be enjoyable. Good track.

MonorailRT - There's waaay too much bass on this (which I totally didn't notice on my other headphones), and not enough variation. This is what happens when you base your song on playing with fruity loops kids, be warned. Other than that I like it.

Rone Rivendale - "Inter freakin' net". Good ending.

State Shirt - How come you're not a proper internet celebrity too busy to bother with little songfights yet :)

Subatomic Particles - This has a punky, epic feel to it, good stuff. Love the ending section.

Tim Hinkle - Gives me the feel of a dark sixties-ish tune in the vein of some velvet morning. The mix could do with some work, and I wouldn't do whatever you are to the vocals (reverb, chorus?). Good song though, I like it.

Tom di Giovanni - When you stretch your voice a bit (the "I like to pretend" bits or "by the way that I perform them") there's a really nice tone to your voice, some real character to it. If you could bring a little bit more of that out and mix it a touch higher, I think it would really add some richness to the song, which it could do with. Not a bad song, but not great either.

Truth and Regret - I find one of the problems of doing something with a lot of synth/sequenced stuff is that it's pretty straightforward to get a nice sound out of it, which then seems really incongurous when contrasted with how amateur my vocals sound, and I think that problem is somewhat evident here. I love the style of the track, I feel like I'm in the middle of some japanese shoot-'em-up, and the lyrics seems pretty reasonable, but the vocals could use some work. I wouldn't worry about processing too much, but rather than the distortion you could maybe get a good effect by cutting lots of different takes together, or perhaps going for a really smooth Pitchshifter style.

Wren Edward - Could do with some more volume. The vocals seem to tail off at the end a bit. If you've got the capability, you may want to try recording the guitar and the vocal parts seperately, so you can have multiple goes. It also means you can focus your attention on one area. Of course, some people get a much better performance if their doing both, so it's whatever works for you.

Your Money Wasted - I like to pretend it's not ROCK! I think you could do with some closer miking on the drums, and maybe eq them to bump the low mids a bit. Nicely put together song though, good track.

This is a big ol' fight. I'm not sure who to vote for yet, but Subatomic Particles, Tim Hinkle, JTH and the line "it's fun to be a robot" are all in contention.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

jim fallope wrote:when i saw that the tune was 6:08, i thought that it might be too long, but it held my attention throughout.
The Gert tune is only 3:53, not 6:08.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
jim fallope
A New Player

Post by jim fallope »

smalltown mike wrote:
jim fallope wrote:when i saw that the tune was 6:08, i thought that it might be too long, but it held my attention throughout.
The Gert tune is only 3:53, not 6:08.
oops, sorry. i guess that's why it held my attention. i don't know why i thought it was 6:08. my brain mustn't have been working, which is often.

take it sleazy:

jim fallope 8)
hopelessly amateur, yet naive
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

jim fallope wrote:cutie pies:

extremely cool. reminds me of the magnetic fields, especially the girl(or guy who sounds like a girl?). very 'claudia gonsonesque' voice. love it.
Assuming you mean the second vocal then yes that is a girl....that be the Bjam :-)

Plus nice job to the other Cutie Pies collaborators. Great consistent job yet again. Proper reviews to follow
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

TruthAndRegret wrote:I'm gonna be completely honest here. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Then your name is well chosen. Truth, then regret.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Ed
A New Player

Post by Ed »

Brass Grapher
While I'm not a big fan of this type of thing, something about this had me charmed halfway through.

The Cutie Pies
This made me dance around. I lovelovelove everything about this.

The Dankins Strikes Back
I mourn that you have naught a real piano. I enjoy this but this would have been so much awesomer (that's right, awesomer) on the real thing. Can't really hold it against you though, can I?

Doscientos
I was waiting for the beginning of this song to end and it uh...never did. I really feel like it need to build somewhere, to get up and go.

Gert
Rock solid, meng. Rock. Solid.

Ken Woodard
I would have liked this a lot better if it had developed into something really upbeat and fast paced which is what I was kind of hoping for with an opening like that. But what you delivered is all right but it also didn't really keep my attention.

Kevin Alborough
This kinda creeped me out. But in a good way. I think.

Jack Calico
Point for Hoover reference. I really liked the lyrics you've got, I'm just not keen on the execution. S'not my cup of tea. Sorry.

Jacob Lynn
Who knew that's what you sound like what you sing! I dig the guitar but I think you could stand to do more with it.

Jeff Travis Henderson
This is catchy. Really catchy. Catchy to the point I'm wondering why this isn't already something with too much airplay on midwestern radio. I like it, mister.

Jeff Robertson
This would have been pretty awesome had your drums not been kamikaze planes bent on blowing up the battleship of your song.

Jim Fallope and His Fallopian Dudes
If station wagons in general are not counted, the 1984/85 Toyota Corolla is my favorite car. Plus, when you combine lyrics about my favorite car with music that is pretty nifty, you get something fantastic. Which you did.

Markus Kellis
For the first little bit, I was really opposed. I was like "NAY SIR, NAY!" but then right after I thought that, this really grabbed me and held me hostage and was like "I demand to be liked! Like meeeeee!" and I was like "okay."

MMMC
This made me dance around on my bed which is always good. It has the best impulse out of all of these.

MonorailRT
I adore the music under this. The music alone is enough to carry this, but the vocals are meh.

Rone Rivendale
Kill those psuedo melodic notes. They want to die so let them go. Euthenasia is legal in this case.

State Shirt
I really like this, though something seems 0.0000001 millimeters off about it and I'm not quite sure what it is. The general feeling about it I think is a touch too synthetic for this to really take off.

The Subatomic Particles
I didn't really care for this. I dont really have a reason why. Just not my type of donut.

Tim Hinkle
what did you do to your music?? Turn it up, man! This sounds like it really wants to rock out and you keep it caged it and it left me feeling so frustrated.

Tomdg
This felt a little too boring for me. I like how your voice fits with the guitar though. It's neat.

Truth and Regret
Fix the vocals to not clash so much with the electronic shizzle beneath this and this would probably be pretty cool. I like the music you got going on here and when your vocals are destorted a bit more than the rest, it really works for me.

Wren Edward
Me, urk. I can't take any credit for the guitar; that was Luke Henley's doing.

Your Money Wasted
I liked this, but it didn't really stand out very much as a whole. I'm down with the piano. Real low. I'm cool with the guitar solo too.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Here are some terse reviews:

Your Money Wasted: You pulled off the noisy guitars, not so much the vocals.

Wren Edward: Don't be fooled by "sensitive" boys who say they like your music, they are just trying to get in your pants.

Truth and Regret: You think this is edgy, but it is about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Tomdg: Terrible.

Tim Hinkle: Lo-fi in a bad way.

The Subatomic Particles: See previous review.

State Shirt: Hella boring.

Rone Rivendale: Yah, I like PLUCK, too, don't abuse it like that.

MonorailRT: Awesome, but invest in a good mic.

MMMC: Maybe your lyrics are clever, but I can't tell because they are incomprehensible.

Marcus Kellis: You are putting the emPHAsis on the wrong syllAble.

Kevin Alborough: If you think this is good you should stop writing music altogether.

Ken Woodard: Godawful.

Jim Fallope et al: So fucking cool, please play again.

Jeff Travis Henderson: A mediocre performance of a song I feel like I've heard before.

Jeff Robertson: Learning guitar chords does not qualify you to write a song.

Jacob Lynn: Crap!

Jack Calico: See Kevin Alborough's review.

Gert: You've got the genre down, no one can argue with that.

Doscientos: Surprisingly engaging.

The Dankins Strikes Back: Have you shown this to your composition teacher yet?

The Cutie Pies: Wish the vocals had been recorded a little bit better, wish I'd had more time to mix it.

Brass Gopher: It's just not funny. At all.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Your Money Wasted
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Your Money Wasted »

brass gopher:
sorry, i kind of chuckled at this one. it's just so bad, it's good.

cutie pies:
good tone on the guitars. the girl sounds like she's out of choir. sounds too fast. lyrics need originality. real catchy though.

doscientos:
this kind of reminds me of the 80s. needs original lyrics.

gert:
gooooood production. nice voice! recommend more dynamics - getting quieter on the quiet parts while preserving the loudness otherwise. harmonies! it's catchy. not what i'd listen to normally. ooh.. that part right before the vocals at the end was beautiful. good song.

jack calico:
sorry, i don't like it. wasn't even funny. sounds like very little effort was put into this.

jacob lynn:
i hear heavy coldplay and jack johnson influence in the vocals. that's something that kind of bothers me these days. it's one of the things in singing/songwriting that's immediately recognizable. i really wish people wouldn't do that. be yourself, duder. get your own sound.

jeff robertson:
that's the wrong beat for this kind of music. guitars sound off. vocalist needs to practice more. good solos.

jeff travis henderson:
i like it. nice chamber harmonies, really adds a good feel to the song. mildly funny. i can just picture some guy in a padded room singing this. rock bridge is good, nice ending too. pleasant voice, i suggest being a bit less reserved though. i like this one.

jim fallope and his fallopian dudes:
this is wonderful. i was giggling from start to finish. as much as i like a good funny song, though, i can't really take it seriously, and being able to do that is what really gets me into a song. extremely funny though.

ken woodard:
i like the chord progression and the message. that's about it, though.

kevin alborough:
weird, dark song. i kinda like it though. music doesn't fit with itself, lots of dissonance. it sounds intentional, though, which makes all the difference. good ending. nice song overall.

marcus kellis:
sounds really unprofessional. learn how to play your guitar, man. i'm talking about different chords, phantom string muting, pick technique, all of that. play to impress.

mmmc:
whoa. whoaaaaa. this is a weird weird song. nice references, i did that just last night, so i'm really digging this. yes. good song for the mental state i'm in right now. thank you.

monorailrt:
great lyrics and decent vocals. can't dig it, though. too repetitive and needs better samples.

rone rivendale:
this really freaked me out, man. but yeah, you need a.. ahahahaha great ending! get a good mic though, even one of those nady starpower mics will be better than what you're using, more than likely.

state shirt:
i love the sound of the bass. a good chill song. nice lyrics. good production. i'm really liking this song. do i hear a piano? beautiful. pretty close to tears thanks to that ending. best i've heard so far.

the dankins strikes back:
if this were a real piano, i'd be sold. sounds too inhuman. needs some pedal noise and slight imperfection. listen closely to the first verse of "politik" by coldplay and you'll know what i'm talking about.

the subatomic particles:
this paints a picture for me. i can see a music video to this song and it's kind of noir-esque - all black and white with the guys in suits and ties, and women in black dresses with veils. very different, very original. maybe quiet down the beginning of the song so the end seems more epic. good song.

tim hinkle:
needs an intro. vocals are really vampirish, i like 'em. music kind of sucks though. try ditching the whole lyrics rhyming thing. i'm starting to dig this. it sort of has a kitsch value to it.

tomdg:
nice voice. learn a few more chords on the guitar, like different ones that people don't use all the time.

truth and regret:
it grooves! nice beats and effects on the vocals, suggest a better kick sample. "i choose the blue pill"? c'monnnnn. diggin' the buildup. could have ended a bit better. overall pretty okay, bad ending though.

wren edward:
sad. paints a picture, though. try getting a better signal/noise ratio in the recordings - that means getting closer to the mic without overdriving the sound. that'll eliminate a lot of the hiss.

your money wasted:
me, HURK! production was kind of rushed, vocals are rather one-take. i'll do better next time, i promise. ;)

edit: i was thinking about the first verse from "politik", not the beginning of "the scientist".
Last edited by Your Money Wasted on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TruthAndRegret
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TruthAndRegret »

By the way... y'all need to learn to tag your mp3s before sending them in. It would make it so much easier on me.
_-=Truth_-_&_-_Regret=-_
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

This is catchy. Really catchy. Catchy to the point I'm wondering why this isn't already something with too much airplay on midwestern radio.
That's what I was thinking when I wrote this song. This is when it sucks to be a songwriter. I totally thought I had something cool going on in the chorus, but at the same time it sounded kind of familiar even to me. But since I couldn't identify where it was from, I assumed I had come up with it and it was just catchy.
Elliott Smith-y rip offs of Roy Orbison, I do declare!
The moment I read this, I realized he was right. Most of the chorus in my song is the same as the "Anything at all, you got it" part of "You Got It". I guess I apologize to the late Roy Orbison and to Jeff Lynne for ripping off their song.

Geez, and it would have peen pretty easy to fix too.
Well now I know how George Harrison felt with when he found out he ripped off "He's so Fine"; and how Franz Ferdinand felt when they realized they ripped off "Back off Boogaloo" (has anyone told them that yet?)
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

burstroc wrote: jacob lynn:
i hear heavy coldplay and jack johnson influence in the vocals. that's something that kind of bothers me these days. it's one of the things in singing/songwriting that's immediately recognizable. i really wish people wouldn't do that. be yourself, duder. get your own sound.
Finally saw something I had to comment on. Basically everything else I've seen here I agree with: boring, lo-fi, annoying vocals. But. I don't ever listen to Coldplay or Jack Johnson, and I certainly wasn't cultivating that idea. It was a vocal affectation, but that's how I heard these lyrics while I was thinking them up, and if anything, I was going for something more like the un-imitatable Devendra Banhart in his more psychotic moments. Which is still not getting my own sound, I guess.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll work on my stuff. I'm not good at guitar at all, nor do I have decent equipment, but I hope to rectify these sorts of things pretty soon.