these reviews are 'not exactly normal'

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

nah, it was pretty good for an instrumental, CFP. give me wank-filled noise any day over bad, boring wannabe jazz, enya, or techno bullshit.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Middlemarch wrote:
Do you listen to a lot of Jayhawks, Wilco, Son Volt, etc?
I've tried to break away from it (I feel a bit obsessed), but that's what I like and the type of music I keep coming back to.
I like much of their stuff (especially Wilco). I absolutely love The Drive-By Truckers. Also good songs by: Cramps, Gin Blossoms (more pop oriented, but on the fringe), Golden Smog, Hayseed Dixie, and Uncle Tupelo. I prefer not to write that style of music because I don't like to listen it to it <i>that</i> much, just as part of the flavor of my playlist. I also have a select group of country tunes I listen to "on occassion" (mostly oldies).
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
jim fallope
A New Player

Post by jim fallope »

Wages wrote:This is that strange song on the album that comes between tracks 9 and 10, just to make the listener say, "Oh, that's way different". I like it.
or "oh, that's not exactly normal." and you don't have to like my song just because i liked your's. i don't even like my song. :wink:
hopelessly amateur, yet naive
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

kill_me_sarah wrote:
Wages wrote: Enya would be proud
Ouch! Oh well, I guess I could handle the royalties she's probably still getting from Orinoco Flow (does it just make it worse that I know a song title of hers off the top of my head?).
I think so! :twisted:
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

thanks everyone for the reviews and advise
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

blue wrote:look, frisbee, just don't rip of modest mouse, aight. it's not cool. it's lame, and sad. let them be who they are and go find someone else's talent and years of effort to abuse.
i take it as a compliment being compared to good bands, its the first time in my life ive had honest feedback about my music. most of it has been
really helpfull. you are just a jerk but i guess thats how you get by.
for the record that's the first time ive ever full on screamed in a song and i dont even listen to modest mouse that much.
take it easy blue....really
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

i just want to thank everyone who has invested so much thought into these reviews and feedback. its like songwriting college or something.
this was my first fight and i must say its been an awesome experience.
im sorry i cant give the same level of feedback right now due to
my internet situation but that will change soon and i will be able to
add my full length reviews.
heres a short list.

Deshead-flawless, it sounds like you can do anything you want with
a song. you are a brilliant musician.
:P

wages-i think the verdict was to cut the lead so i wont beat you up
about that. and i totally agree that your voice can carry the song.
you have kindof an unstable quality and thats what makes it
interesting. and just the overall sound of it is great.
i'll be looking for your nexy entry.

Kill me sarah-yah it was slow, like maybe the 7th track on your
ablum, the one nobody knows but when they hear it
it reminds them of things they thought they forgot, but are glad you
reminded them...i dont know if that makes sense but
its a nice addition to your growing catalogue

jim fallope-dont be so hard on yourself, the first 30-45 seconds
really got my attention, it was unique and upbeat and kinda
funny because your lyrics were not typical for a song like that.
you did lose me in the middle, but overall i think it was
success.

kweep-the music got me interested, but the lyrics, although
funny, broke the mojo of what i was ready for when you
started the song. i did like the lines about being
able to rhyme normal with formal or immoral or whatever...
i actually did think that was clever :lol:

everyone else im sorry i cant have reviews for you right now
but i should be getting better net soon, though you may have to look in the archives later to get them...if thats possible...i dont know...im new.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:
blue wrote:look, frisbee, just don't rip of modest mouse, aight. it's not cool. it's lame, and sad. let them be who they are and go find someone else's talent and years of effort to abuse.
i take it as a compliment being compared to good bands, its the first time in my life ive had honest feedback about my music. most of it has been
for the record that's the first time ive ever full on screamed in a song and i dont even listen to modest mouse that much.
take it easy blue....really
what you mean is, "Fuck you, jerk, I'll sing what the fuck I want."

that's the answer we're looking for here.
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

Leaf wrote: SLAYER!!!!!
Slayer blows...Megadeth rules! (Or if you like Teutonic Thrash...Kreator is a good option)
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
Devil Tongue
A New Player

Post by Devil Tongue »

Clats wrote:
Leaf wrote: SLAYER!!!!!
Slayer blows...Megadeth rules!
The most untrue thing ever said. Have you ever heard Slayer? Megadeth? You speak falsehoods.
The rock will be brought.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:i take it as a compliment being compared to good bands, its the first time in my life ive had honest feedback about my music. most of it has been
Being a jerk doesn't preclude someone from being helpful. Telling you "Hey, there's another band that sounds like you, you should be aware that people will think you're ripping them off" is about the most helpful thing you can tell someone. What you choose to do with that information is up to you, but it's not like he's throwing schoolyard insults at you.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:Kill me sarah-yah it was slow, like maybe the 7th track on your
ablum, the one nobody knows but when they hear it
it reminds them of things they thought they forgot, but are glad you
reminded them...i dont know if that makes sense but
its a nice addition to your growing catalogue
I just looked up Enya on Amazon and Orinoco Flow was track 7! :lol:

Actually, the song I'm recording next week would probably be my track 7, and this one would be toward the end of the album. Think OK Computer, track 7 is Just and this is more like track 12, The Tourist except, you know, less awesome.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words :)
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

erik wrote:
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:i take it as a compliment being compared to good bands, its the first time in my life ive had honest feedback about my music. most of it has been
Being a jerk doesn't preclude someone from being helpful. Telling you "Hey, there's another band that sounds like you, you should be aware that people will think you're ripping them off" is about the most helpful thing you can tell someone. What you choose to do with that information is up to you, but it's not like he's throwing schoolyard insults at you.
Yeah, but getting slammed in your first post always gets the hackles up. I reacted the same way for my first song when someone called me un-creative. He'll get used to the poo-slinging :)
jim fallope
A New Player

Post by jim fallope »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote: jim fallope-dont be so hard on yourself
but i enjoy being hard on myself. self-deprecation is an art. modesty is a virtue. revel in your weakness and you'll never be surprised by the criticism you receive.

here's a question for everyone. how much do you allow humor to influence your vote? a poorly executed song with a funny lyric may garner more votes than a well executed bore. perhaps it would be instructive to review songs like figure skating (or at least by the old figure skating scoring guidelines). 10 points for lyric, 10 points for technique/production, 10 points for song structure, and then average the three scores. this would allow a person who slips and falls on his ass in regards to production to make up points in the other two categories. it would also prevent an otherwise shitty song with a funny lyric from getting more than its due from laugh factor alone. just a suggestion. i'd like the hear what everyone has to say. there was quite a debate about all this in the 'i like to pretend' fight.
hopelessly amateur, yet naive
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

jim fallope wrote: here's a question for everyone. how much do you allow humor to influence your vote? a poorly executed song with a funny lyric may garner more votes than a well executed bore. perhaps it would be instructive to review songs like figure skating (or at least by the old figure skating scoring guidelines). 10 points for lyric, 10 points for technique/production, 10 points for song structure, and then average the three scores. this would allow a person who slips and falls on his ass in regards to production to make up points in the other two categories. it would also prevent an otherwise shitty song with a funny lyric from getting more than its due from laugh factor alone. just a suggestion. i'd like the hear what everyone has to say. there was quite a debate about all this in the 'i like to pretend' fight.
It's an interesting concept. The downside to it is that it sort of eliminatesa certain human factor, that is, the song that I rate the highest may not be (and judging by my tastes, most likely will not be) the song that I like the best. For example, in this fight, using your system, I would probably rank Kweep's song the highest. He would rank very high in technique/production and structures, and mid to moderately high (5-7) in the lyrics, meaning he'd probably score perhaps mid-twenties total. Frisbee's song wouldn't rank nearly as high as far as production goes but might rank equally high in song structure, and a little higher in lyric. Overall it's possible that his score would tie or be lower than Kweep's, but i like Frisbee's song better.That said, what might be interesting is to rank it as you say and then have a Tilt category (gamespot ranks video games using this system) which measures how much you personally like the song. That would balance it out more and might actually make the decision process easier. I think I might just try the four category scoring system for next week. What do you guys think?
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Reviews

Post by glennny »

Dust Pipe- This is my band. I'm the one responsible for the lyrics, guitar playing and mix down and edits. We are an improv band for better or worse. Luckily the song titles were posted and we were able to riff off of them. I'm pleased with the result, though there's room for a world of improvement. It was super fun to record. I was happy that last Saturday morning, I had a little time to mix down the session and find the bits where we used SongFight lyrics. Anyway, all criticisms I've read here are valid and true, and much appriciated.

Kill Me Sarah- This reminds me of Low. That's a good thing. Love the voice, love the mood. This track really has to be enjoyed with a little space from the rest of the entries because it's so slow, and the juxtaposition is jarring. However, on it's own it's very cool.

Eddie Lance- I love this recording! It's in my top 3 in this fight. I love the background sound effects and sparse piano. It reminds me of a deep track on Lou Reed's best album "Berlin". Very good entry!!!

Chocolate Flavored Penguin- Ah yes a noise sculpture. Not sure how much of a "song" this is. Which makes me feel like my Dust Pipe entry was indeed songlike enough. Made or broken by the quality of the noises therein I find this track to be a success, I like the noises, and enjoy listening to it repeatedly. It makes me want to hear Bob Plant screech over it.

Andrew Feist- Metal Rules! This reminds me of my Ozzy and Priest days. This is a cool track.

Deshead- This is the track I'd expect to win. The production is fantastic! Guitar sounds great, the solos are wonderful! Thank you for letting them develop and peak! Great singing! Great songwriting! I'd expect to hear you at Highland Grounds in Hollywood, or in many a TV or movie soundtrack.

Thanks For the Frisbee- This is my favorite of the bunch! This is the song I keep singing the melody of when I walk away from them all. Great melody , great hook. Lyrics are cool enough. The shouting is wonderful, I'm really impressed you left it in! I'd love to hear Deshead produce this track under contractual obligation to make sure the shouting remains on the track.

Wreckdom- What a great track! This reminds me of the weirder Ween tracks. I'd buy this album. The best part for me is all the background subtle noodling.

Ill Cricket Crew- This is a cute track. This kind of track I enjoy most on first listen then have less and less interest for any repeated listens. The music doesn't funk enough for me to really enoy this genre. However, it's a nice recodring!

Fourth Grade Gladiators- I love the playing, love the singing and voice. This reminds me of Flaming Lips. I wish the production was a little better, becasue this is an awesome song!

Hosenbergler- Strong Bad, this is no Trogdor but still very good. OK seriously I really like this track. It reminds me of the better Dr. Demento songs I used to stay up and listen to. The comedy of the Strong Bad vocals is made all the more hilarious by the straight and really well done background vocals.

Wages- This is a good song. You have a great voice! I thought the lead guitar was the culptrit for my distraction from the well written song, but I heard the leadless version and was still thrown by the rhythm guitar timing. The songwriting is really strong, I just want to hear more solid guitar.

Kweep- The music is great, the singing is really good. Drums and guitar sound wonderful! However, the "meta-lyircs" violation is so offensive I end up hating this track. Obviously you guys are really good musicians, with good songwriting skills and a dialed in studio. I'd buy the album, but skip this track.

Middle March- I find this to be the most emotional song of the lot. No complaints. Absolutely love the singing, and wish I could sing like that. If it was shtick, I'm surprised, because I was sold on it. Good stuff.

Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes- This is very silly, very good too. Too short and really weird, I enjoy the beginning especially before it descends into total art.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

jim fallope wrote:here's a question for everyone. how much do you allow humor to influence your vote? a poorly executed song with a funny lyric may garner more votes than a well executed bore. perhaps it would be instructive to review songs like figure skating (or at least by the old figure skating scoring guidelines). 10 points for lyric, 10 points for technique/production, 10 points for song structure, and then average the three scores. this would allow a person who slips and falls on his ass in regards to production to make up points in the other two categories. it would also prevent an otherwise shitty song with a funny lyric from getting more than its due from laugh factor alone. just a suggestion. i'd like the hear what everyone has to say. there was quite a debate about all this in the 'i like to pretend' fight.
Don't try and suggest some sort of unifying method of reviewing. Some people value a bad song with a funny line over a boring song by people who can record well. C'est la vie.

Do what you want to do. If it makes sense to you, then go for it. I don't think it's a good idea personally, because when you deconstruct a song like that, you miss out on the fact that all the parts are supposed to be appreciated at the same time. I think your plan provides a crutch to people who write average songs. Someone who writes a bunch of hohum songs and records them well will probably do better than someone who does one thing better than the others. John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland" would totally pwn Devo's "Jocko Homo".* That's just sick and wrong.

You can't determine whether you like a song by going down a 3 point checklist. What about 10 points for "How likely I am to sing this song in my car"? Or for "How likely I am to play this song while cooking dinner on a fourth date"? There are many, many criterion people use to decide what makes a good song, most of which they probably can't even vocalize, some of which they prrobably don't even understand.

In "The Tipping Point" (or maybe in Blink) (or maybe in something else he wrote) there's this interesting anecdote about having to explain your likes and dislikes to someone else. There was a psych study (so take all this with a grain of salt) that let students have a free poster. The poster was either a Van Gogh print, or an office-spirational "Hang in There!" kitty-cat type poster. One group was allowed to just take whichever one they wanted. In that group, the majority of people chose the art print. In the second group, people were still allowed to take whichever one they wanted, but they had to fill out a questionnaire first, that had this question: "Why did you choose the poster that you did?" In this group, when people felt they had to explain their choice, the majority picked the kitty poster, and gave reasons like "I like kittens" or "It might cheer me up when I'm feeling low" or some other complete bullcrap. Several months later, in a followup, most of the people in the second group had given away their cat posters. Most of the people in the first group still had theirs. When people feel pressure to explain themselves, they make up bullcrap, and end up choosing things that they really wouldn't normally like.

It's okay to like a song and not be able to break it down into neat little categories containing reasons why you like the song.

*It's also okay to like "Your Body is a Wonderland" more than "Jocko Homo", but hell, I wouldn't tell anyone if I were you.
Last edited by erik on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

erik wrote:
okay okay so i get it....i cant be a wet nosed cry baby and enjoy this whole thing. kill me sarah was right, i think being my first fight
made me uber sensitive so i reacted like a 4 yr old...if that :)
i'll keep my gloves up next time.
thanks erik
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

erik wrote: John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland" would totally pwn Devo's "Jocko Homo".* That's just sick and wrong.
Are we not men?
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Clats wrote:
erik wrote: John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland" would totally pwn Devo's "Jocko Homo".* That's just sick and wrong.
Are we not men?
:mrgreen:
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

I'm totally with KMS on the voting... you gotta go with what you like and if that's humor for you... then funny songs get more of your personal points. It's like choosing which hooker to pay for the evening... you just know when you know... ya know?
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

An idea (since we're talking about it): What if we could place 3 votes? I personally would like to vote for the top 3, in my prefered order so each song will have a weighted vote (say vote #1 = 5 points, #2 = 3, #1 = 1, no vote = 0). I think there are a lot of really good songs that happen to go up against other good songs and therefore don't get the proper vote-age.

Another idea would be a 2 vote system towards 2 different winners. One vote is as it is now, "the best song". Another winner could be "most unique or creatively challenging". Or better yet, make the 2nd vote count towards a different topic each week. For instance, this week it could be "most unique", next week could be "most improved", "biggest turkey", "strangest entry", "worth a record deal", etc.