Them Dukes, them Dukes... (Moon Shine Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Astrolamb – I really liked the song for the content as far as what you where trying to say. However, the pace of the song seemed a little bit too down tempo for my tastes. It felt like the overall feel of the song might be stronger if you had made the song faster because there just wasn't enough musical content to satisfy the insatiable lust for change that 3 minutes and 48 seconds create.

Baker – Production is very good musically all in all, however it seems too short.... Just when I was starting to get into it, everything dropped out.

Caravan Ray – Beautiful, perfect laid-back acoustic guitar song very badly hurt by too much background noise. I would give you an A in production except for that though.

Dave Stiles – This is very NIN sounding to me. I love NIN, just so you know. For this kind of thing I would have totally dropped the effect on the vocals and sang it more not-understandable, totally going for that full Trent effect.

Henrietta + Hoodlums – She has a beautiful voice, let her sing. Enough said. Love the production on the Acoustic Guitar.

Hoblit – Very cool radio intro. I don't personally care for the Distorted vocals, but I will plead guilty to using them before too. Don't be afraid to show us your real voice. I can tell that it is a really nice one even through the distortion.

Joshua Fenn – This song is obviously a joke, and I don't get it.

Likely Lads – This reminds me of the “South Park – Montage song.” both musically and lyrically. Very cheesy 80's rock is so much fun to make. You are a really good guitarist.

Maxthecat – You sound like Primus. Oh my god this is freaking the crap out of me. (In a good way, not to worry). Very creative.

Midiots – Yep. It's you again. A+ on style consistency. Sounds like some of the Amiga audio demo's I've listened to.

Pookah – I love the lyrics to this song, and you have real talent behind the guitar. I think that in a more professional recording environment you could really shine.

Poor June – Very cool song, I like the lyrics and the general feel of the song. The last part of it totally makes me feel drunk every time I hear it. Very cool. But next time, don't try faking an accent.

Southwest Statistic – Justin Timberlake survived? I thought I shot him in the head twice, what the heck?

White Hat – You probably have the best singing voice here. This fact is amplified by your excellent vocal production. Actually the whole song is very very well produced. I could have done without the according because I find it somewhat distracting to the rest of the song, but very well done job.

Wilson Heights Gang – Wow. Basically everything the same that I just said for White Hat except for this one point where yo kjl;..... owwwwww. Bad overdrive man. Ouch. Dang! It was so perfect before it started clipping like that.

--[ Some Production Notes ]--

For anyone that's been wondering why I left the whole Emo rock thing to create this weird, (for me at least) commercialized-sounding Pop thing needs to hear a little story.

This whole song was designed around a challenge one of my friends gave me about a week and a half ago. She seems to think that Justin from N*Sync the Backstreet Boys and Usher represent this modern era's most talented musicians. When I told her that in only 1 weeks time I could create a totally believable radio-quality pop song of the same caliber as these R&B and Pop artists, she laughed.

For the extra challenge, I wrote the song in a 1/16th's-beat-to-1-syllable lyrical pace. Writing the lyrics took me about 2 hours, most of which was spent in my rhyming dictionary trying to find 2-6 rhyming words to stick into 1 sentence and try to make it work.

The music was easy enough to create. When you are working with Pop music nowadays you can take a lot of shortcuts. The drums sound totally fake, however, all Pop drums sound totally fake nowadays, so whatever. I had the most musical fun doing the whole Mr. Han thing with the snare and bass beat at 1:40, but other then that I just basically spent most of my time with my keyboard trying to work clever piano lines.

The hardest thing about recording this song though was the pace I choose to record at. Though the music was taken care of it 1 day, each sentence in the song was recorded separately over the course of several days, a couple of hours per day. Saying the same sentences over and over again for 20-30 minutes then picking the best vocal takes.

When your voice is the leading instrument, a lot of care and attention has to be payed to it, because quite frankly, the lyrics suck. No points are going to be scored there.

Anyway, yesterday I showed this friend of mine the song. She now worships me and claims that I am the most amazing musician she knows, and that Southwest Statistic is now her favorite band – because not only do I have that magical voice, but I also created all the music too “and that amazing piano line”.

Modern pop music cracks me up.
Thylacine 9
A New Player

Post by Thylacine 9 »

Well, SW -- can I call you SW? You've got a shitload of talent. Yours is probably technically "the best" song this week, even though I don't like it.

I'm guessing you'll win this week's fight, and It'd be a deserving win . But I'm disappointed that so many people seem to find Astrolamb boring -- in that way you get when you can see the genius of something that everybody else dislikes (... last time I felt this was when the movie "Wild Things" was in theaters and I was telling everyone that it was a classic film for the ages).

You got any other songs available for download?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Southwest_Statistic wrote: Hoblit –

1. Very cool radio intro.
2. I don't personally care for the Distorted vocals, but I will plead guilty to using them before too.
3. Don't be afraid to show us your real voice.
4 can tell that it is a really nice one even through the distortion.
1. Hey thanks!
2. Eh, me too but I too bust them out every once and a while
3. Oh, I'm not!
4. awe *SMILEY*

Thanks for the review...

That goes for all of ya'll..thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I can't get the Wilson Heights Gang mp3 to work (all the others are fine) - anyone else having problems?
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Richard WreckdoM wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Pookah: ...It’s plenty short so you got that making up for the less than memorable lyrics which lack a reference to Moonshine and the so-so guitar playing. TRICK
I must say that before you point the finger in the direction of this song, you should look at the many entries that ignored the fact that the title was "Moon Shine" not "Moonshine." [/b]
You mean like when I said "What I did make out lyrically was interesting, but not to be too picky, technically incorrect. Moonshine is a noun, “as the full moon shines” is used as a verb. " or "Interesting premise. Here’s another one. Lyrics." or "The story is not all that good and this is mainly an exercise in “looky what I can do on my computer mommy”. Interpretation of the title is one thing, I can pretty much ignore that. But it should at least be in the song, and I didn't notice a reference to it if it is there at all. But just to be on the safe side, I'll listen again.
Nope, five listens and counting and the word "moon shine", whatever the interpretation, is not in the song. But in going back through the thread, I saw where you said you recorded them so now I understand your completely relevant and unbiased post. As a side note I've also read that Deep Throat often picks titles that can be interpreted in different ways so as to lead to a variety of songs, but I'm sure you already knew that.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

my song won't work for you

Post by TheWilsonHeightsGang »

Caravan Ray wrote:I can't get the Wilson Heights Gang mp3 to work (all the others are fine) - anyone else having problems?
well, according to 90% of the SF population, my song's not quite worth listening to. but if you really want to hear it, i have it at the following link:

http://astro.temple.edu/~krad/moonshine.mp3

somewhat looking forward to hear what you think about it

Jon
the WHG
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

yo drama queen, if we could get 5% of the SF population to just write a review, i'd be a happy camper.
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well 5% of the people who are members of this message board would come out to 8.85 people. for convenience, let's round that to 9 whole people.

rocket rebel, the wilson heights gang, the white hat, dan-o from five-o, jack shite, jbf, and southwest statistic have done a full set of reviews for this fight; leaf and i have done reviews for the other fight. that looks like nine people to me! :wink:

</pedanticness>
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i didn't realize you had to register to be considered a part of this community. i thought all you had to do was listen.

/morepedantic
Hi!
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb
Pronouns: he/him

Whoa. Again.

Post by astrolamb »

rocket rebel wrote:I'm disappointed that so many people seem to find Astrolamb boring -- in that way you get when you can see the genius of something that everybody else dislikes
Thanks - again- but no worries about the critical commentary - that's why I participate here. You should have heard my stuff prior to songfight - yech. The nicest thing about this setup for me is that I get objective opinions from people who don't know me from Adam and that way I can actually progress. Of course my friends, family and girlfriend all say whatever I do is great - it's nice to be told why it's not actually great by the fine folks at songfight.

My reviews for this fight are coming, by the way, but I can't get to songfight from home (can get to every other site on the web, just not songfight - not even by IP address), and I probably shouldn't stream a bunch of mp3s from work . . .
- Robert
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Re: Whoa. Again.

Post by HeuristicsInc »

astrolamb wrote:Of course my friends, family and girlfriend all say whatever I do is great - it's nice to be told why it's not actually great by the fine folks at songfight.
Ha ha, my fiancee doesn't do that. She's definitely not afraid to give me honest reviews :) Refreshing!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

friendly honesty

When I play my stuff for friends, they always say it's really good...but when I play it for family, they are always very honest...sometimes to the point where I change the songs completely. My brother produces and engineers albums at Water Music and is the VP over at Infidel Records. He also is supposed to be the 2nd half of the Wilson Heights Gang, but is constantly pressed for time. He gives me the harshest criticisms. I trust him...he knows his stuff.
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb

You guys are lucky!

Post by astrolamb »

Ha - if I listened to those around me I'd be hunting for a record deal rather than trying to learn how this stuff actually works.

Their mouths are saying the words: "great stuff, good job, you rock," and their eyes say: "turn it off or I will hit you with a blunt instrument."
- Robert
gduncan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Sell Crazy

Post by gduncan »

Thanks a lot for all the (mostly) kind reviews of the The Likely Lads song. I was one half of the group and did the drum programming, some of the guitar playing and the vocals. My accomplice Mike played the bass and the rest of the guitar parts. Here are my reviews in return.

The ones I saved:

1=) Hoblit

This is my, tied (with Max The Cat), favourite of the group, with easily the best intro. The changes are interesting and the heavy guitar riffing sits well with the distorted vocals. The only negatives are that the verses are too repetitve to be so long and there's too many of them. Other than that, good job.

1=) Max The Cat

In my other tied favourite, I love all the industrial precussion and mad noises. The choir backing's great and lets you get away with the spoken vocal. I wasn't keen on the intro but you made up for it with the 'moon shine down on me' section. A cool song with the most interesting lyrics of the bunch.

3=) Dave Stiles

Very sleazy and in my book that's a good thing. The guitar effect, synth drums and bass kick ass. The hi-hat almost killed the song for me though, as the phasing effect make it feel like my ears are being turned inside out. Fix that I think this would be one of the top songs in this fight.

3=) Henrietta And The Hoodlums

I like the singing on this, although there's some sibilance on the woman's voice which is irritating. The guitar picking's also good and compliments the song well. I'm not keen on the echoing intro or the first time both vocals are singing together. The second time it occurs the timing of the words is better, and it works well. Nice song.

5) The White Hat

This song's got a nice melody and even though you haven't got the greatest singing tone, you manage to use that to your advantage as it makes your song stand out. The accordian (or whatever that instrument is) solo sold it for me but the playing sounds out of tune after the vocal comes back in. Well done.

The ones I didn't:

Southwest Statistic

I almost saved this one, as it's so well arranged and produced. You've definetly got talent and it is catchy. The things that put me off are; the auto tuned vocal which is irritating and the fact that the song feels too mechanical and lacking in emotion.

Astrolamb

This was another song that I almost saved. The guitar playing and other instrumental arrangements all work in it's favour. Unfortunately the vocal isn't great and the song is just too repetitve.

The Wilson Heights Gang

I think if you got everything in tune this song would work a lot better. A bit more variety would also help, the bits with the electric guitar would lift the song if everything wasn't so muddled together. Spend a bit more time
and I'm sure it'll come together.

Baker

Nice plinkly plonky sounds and drum loop but let down by the vocal and the bass. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll come up with the goods.

Caravan Ray

I nearly forgave the hiss because I think there is a good song behind it. If a bit more time had been spent on on the vocal and the song had a few more ideas in it I think I might have.

Joshua Fenn

You managed to ruin what could have been a good song singing like that. I really like the harmonica playing and the bit where you do sing properly sounds ok. Shame on you.

Midiots

The main instrumental melody isn't strong enough to carry a lyric-less song. The arrangement has some interesting sections and the drum programming is good but the song didn't move me. You do score marks for the plinkly plonky sounds though, so keep at it.

Pookah

The double tracked vocals don't work as they're not tight enough. The productions not great but with a bit more work though I think you could come up with some nice songs.

Poor June

When the piano came in I was really expecting to like this song. It's let down by the vocals though. The echoing effect doesn't work and you need to spend a bit more time on the melody. I think this could be a great song
with a bit more effort. Lose the outro though.

Cheers,

Gareth.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

gduncan wrote: Cheers,

Gareth.
I've never known any Gareth's in my entire life...but have now seen, not ONE but TWO Gareth's in the songfight community.

Also: Thanks for the good review and if you really want to keep a better version of my song... download the newer mix/master in this thread..you'll be better for it :-)

Thanks again
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hoblit Ministry!! You and Puce need to collab dude! Nice heavy groove and feel. I'm gonna have to read the vocals cause I got no clue what they are about, not that it matters to me, I like the tone. I wish your drums sounds didn't suck so much, but all over, rocks and I dig it. It's like Ministry meets Soundgarden meets misc. country artist...CONTENDER.
Max the CatCreepy... I have listened to this twice... and this is wicked. This is what I wish Wrekdom sounded like... some cool shit here man.. creepy, very halloween... another CONTENDER....
Joshua Fenn hmmm... Kermit has a cold, but I'd know that voice anywhere. Not much here to even judge, no vote.
Poor JuneCluttered. Kinda like your posts!! The recording quality is the best I've heard from you... the tune is pretty good, I don't care much for the "round" like vocals. The intro keys remind me of something... super familiar, and yet I can not place it... ah shit... home sweet home?? Dude you reworked home sweet home!! ...kidding.. but the resemblance is ... spooky...I really dig how your vocals are clear and present... good developments P.J. but no vote...
Caravan RayNice mix off the top...seems to be some kind of air or something in there... a hiss? I dunno, could be my work environment, not great for listening.. nice tune.. I like the bass line, very mellow but effective. Vocals seem lost in the mix when they come in... kindof hollow sounding. Pretty good Ray, I liked it. Carries some good emotion too. A CONTENDER...
The Likely LadsGood sound, good playing, pretty good. That's about all I get out of it... so it's good.
Dave StilesThe intro is a tad long for a songfight tune..ok, it's not but I just don't really dig the intro... good advice that many people will pass on: if the intro is long, it better be for a damn good reason, and it'd better work, cause people are listening to 20 songs sometimes, trying to "rate" and "review".... that being said, I remember a brilliantly long intro from the idiot kings that rocked, yet alot of reviewers panned it, so it's also a taste thing. I like the sound of your vocals, and the mix is interesting, has a zooropa kindof vibe going on. I don't like lame drum machine sounds personally, they lick. Vocals are great I think. The groove is decent, for keys and programmed percussion.. very spacious sounding too... ya know, if you just got rid of those shitty drums I'd really dig this.. that middle instrumental section is great... basically, good mood, and possible vote for you...CONTENDER
The white hatNice intro... right away, first thing I thought.Something about the consitency of the vocal track's dynamics kind of leaps out at me... but that's a production issue. That accordianish thing is a good idea, but the execution of it's "lead" break is kind of poor... I think this is a decently written song, and the little things I mention are most likely the result of only having a week to work the piece: however, as JB once said, the real trick to this whole process is to try and see if you can pull of the whole shebang in one week, so while you are close, you don't get a vote from me, but you do get kudos for writing a pleasant, good song.
Baker I like tangerine dreamish kindof sythn stuff, I like that your lame programmed drums at least have a snare sound with tone, your vocals are lacking, but I assume you know that... dude, you should redo your vocal tracks, cause these just don't have enough time into them... but I likeyour backing tracks, very pleasant and reminds me of being at teh science centre... ok.
Southwest uh... interesting. I can't tell if I like it or hate it. here's why:this sounds like insync,more justin timberlake actually, the like: very top 40 pop. It's well done, and it has a cool enough vibe that I could get into it and dig it, but it's the intentions that I guess about... is this you doing your thing cause this is what your hear? It's your art? Or are you a hit machine that's writing for an audience? Don't get me wrong, either motivation is cool, but I'm partial to having a cynical perspective at times: see Ashely Simpson.... also, the lyrics to me, they've been done a million times, and you add nothing to the genre. I like the cool kick drum break down in the middle. So, cynicism (sp) aside, and preferences aside, pretty good job. you are a CONTENDER.
Astrolamb This is ok, but it's not a vote getter. The mix is amatuerish, the song is ... well, it's ok. not much more o offer you. sorry, but I guess the review matches my impressions of the tune...
Henrietta and the Hoodlums your guitar playing and singing is excellent... really, as always. You are an entertainer, however, I see you performing for high brow dinner parties and college profs... actually, not a bad audience cause those kind of people pay real well, (the more they pay, the bigger their ego feels...so charge 'em!!) It's a pleasant, pretty song, well recorded and performed. You are a CONTENDER for content, production, performance and all that. This is not a style of music that I choose to listen too... I prefer heavier, rockier stuff. But when I hear stuff like this, I appreciate it... I esepcially appreciate everyone's emotive performances... very artistic and well done...
PookaInteresting that this was recorded at Wrekdom's studio... cause it has there sound!! Nice vocals. Guitar is buried, doesn't seem to support the song enough, just from a volume point of view...ok song. I won't vote for this, but it's decently done, and would probably benefit from more time so that the performance could really take shape... but pretty good.
Midiots Well, I'm not hooked in by the intro.. sounds like someone experimenting with their gear and ideas... not doing it for me, sorry. It's basically a meandering, experimental and unstructured piece... hope you had fun.

Wilson Heights Gang...your song wouldn't play on my computer... sorry. If I get time to figure out why, I will listen...

there is my reviews for you all.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

After reading southwests explication of his work...

I really like you man.

Now that I know your motivation, it's gonna be hard for anyone's song to capture my vote but you... cause as far as I'm concerned, this was done for all the right reasons!!

I'm torn between you and Hoblit... gonna have to mull....
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Leaf wrote:Hoblit Ministry!! You and Puce need to collab dude! Nice heavy groove and feel. I'm gonna have to read the vocals cause I got no clue what they are about, not that it matters to me, I like the tone. I wish your drums sounds didn't suck so much, but all over, rocks and I dig it. It's like Ministry meets Soundgarden meets misc. country artist...CONTENDER.
ha, you are the first to call me out on the ministry thing. THINK jesus built my hotrod.

in other news, my drum sounds suck? (ahh, no matter how hard I try)
:lol:
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Hoblit wrote:
Leaf wrote:Hoblit Ministry!! You and Puce need to collab dude! Nice heavy groove and feel. I'm gonna have to read the vocals cause I got no clue what they are about, not that it matters to me, I like the tone. I wish your drums sounds didn't suck so much, but all over, rocks and I dig it. It's like Ministry meets Soundgarden meets misc. country artist...CONTENDER.
ha, you are the first to call me out on the ministry thing. THINK jesus built my hotrod.

in other news, my drum sounds suck? (ahh, no matter how hard I try)
:lol:

yeah... snobby drummer critique!!

...in other news... mayhap one day I might drum on a track, hmmm?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray (me): What's all this crap about too much hiss?!? It's part of the song - I extended my microphone on huge telescopic arms and pointed it towards the far reaches of the galaxy. What you are hearing is the background radiation that is the echos of the Big Bang. You clowns just don't understand art. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Astrolamb: Don’t like this. Rhythm become tedious – vocals seem a bit off key. I’ve always been a bit of an Astrolamb fan – so this one is disappointing for me.

Baker: I can’t listen to this, sorry – the vocals are killing me. The backing music sounds quite nice. My tip would be to play to your strengths – put the nice melodies into your music and use your voice more like a backing instrument – concentrate on pitch and don’t try anything fancy. Listen to Kraftwerk – as long as its in tune, a robotic monotone is always better than something out of tune.

Dave Styles: Nice effort – I can hear a lot of good stuff in here, some nice guitar – ultimately though I don’t like it. Not a matter of quality – just my personal taste sorry.

Henrietta: That’s a great voice. Nice melodies. No doubt about it – this is pretty good

Hoblit: Here – have my vote dude. Great stuff

Joshua Fenn: Sack the muppet – find a singer

Likely Lads: Hang on – did I say I was voting for Hoblit? I may have changed my mind. Every thing is good about this – great song well played. Gonna have to rethink the vote thing…

Max the Cat: Strange. Not bad – not necessarily good either. Strange

Midiots: Dull

Pookah: Very nice – I think you got the sound I was trying to aim for. I like this. Good song. You won’t get my vote this week but I’d definitely like to hear more.

Poor June: Don’t like the echo thing. I think I would really like this if not for the muddy muddled vocals – sounds like a pretty good song ( I can relate to songs about having too much to drink).

Southwest Statistic:
Ha! I can see this on the Saturday morning Video Hits! Show complete with a gaggle of bling-encrusted pneumatically enhanced dancing girls. It would also be the song where I would say “Well, at least this isn’t quite a crap as all the others…”. In fact, its pretty good – clichéd sound obviously, but it’s a good song and catchy as hell. Well done. Bugger – another vote contender.

White Hat: Nice guitar, nice melody, good song. I wish my song had sounded more like this one. On second listen I like it even more. Vocals are great – you have a good, interesting voice. Another vote contender

Wilson Heights Gang: Sorry mate - no review. Tried your song on home and work computers - and it wouldn't go (somebody else mentioned a problem on here too). Disappointed - I always find your stuff interesting

And so:

Obviously my call of a vote for Hoblit after only listening to 5 songs was a bit premature. The Likely Lads, Southwest Statistic and White Hat are also in contention.

Re-listening…

Very difficult. Best song is the Likely Lads, best performance is White Hat, best production is Southwest Statistic – but I will stick with voting for Hoblit – because that song just cracked me up.
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

your review

haha. I love your explanation for your hiss....hah!

If you want to hear my song, try this:

http://astro.temple.edu/~krad/moonshine.mp3

Jon
the WHG
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

Hey everyone, I'm the other half of The Likely Lads, Mike. As Gareth said I did the bass and some of the guitar on our track, thanks for the kind comments that people have been throwing about our first entry. :)

Here's my thoughts on the fighters:

Astrolamb - I liked the intro and the guitar interplay here but your vocal is a little off key and distracting, and sometimes your phrasing sounds forced. "..comrades fall to the floor". Is that an Ebow? Anyways, I don't really think it goes anywhere choruswise so overall it lost my attention slightly.

Baker - I like the backing but your singing, particularly in the verse sections, leaves a lot to be desired. The melody seems a little meandering rather than decided. Maybe you should have taken longer to feel your way around the song and found a stronger line before recording it.

Caravan Ray - I like the acoustic sound and the singing melody. The hiss is a little distracting though, part with some readies and sort out your mic issues.

Dave Stiles - Nice use of the stereoscape. I like the tremelo guitar and the drums/programming. I think the harmony vocals would have been more effective if they were all the way through the track, perhaps just on the chorus and keyphrases? I like your far out psycheadelic leanings.

Henrietta and the Hoodlums - drop the echo off the start and I'd like it a lot more. It's not timed properly. The female vocal is great but the connection with the male voice is a little off kilter and confusing. I love the guitar work though, one of my favourites.

Hoblit - Love the intro, and I like the style, but as Gareth says it just goes on a little long without a melodic reprive. I'm a bit of a melody junkie so I was really hankering after a break to something pretty, but I guess that's not the style you were going for. The Rockabilly section plain rules. Cut it in half and you'd have my vote.

Joshua Fenn - Absolutely shocking vocal at the start. Made me want to stop listening right there. Why why why? You sound like a small troll.

Max The Cat - hahahah... style. I like your Monk-style backing vocals, and it made me laugh my ass off.

The Midiots - sounds a bit like Kid A. but like not as good, sorry.

Pookah - You don't have tight enough pitch control or timing on this to use double tracking, perhaps you should have just copied the initial track and panned it hard left and right?

Poor June - very Elton John intro, liked it. But unfortunatley the vocals let you down. The backing organ is nice though.

Southwest Statistic - I liked the intro and the arrangement with the drums, really hooky which is what I like. I actually quite dig the autotuning vocal, it reminds me of the Super Furry Animals, and Air. I really like this one, it's groovy. Clever stuff.

The White Hat - Great melody. A good song, and I think you cope with your vocals really well. Nice interplay between the vocal and the guitar. Nice accordian stylings too, it was a nice place you took this to.

TheWilsonHeightsGang - Nice acoustic tone, but I think it's a bit out of tune. Your strumming falters a little bit sometimes too. the electric needs to be lower in the mix, you can still convey that urgency without shock and awe haha... It's a good song, would sound great with the odd harmony here and there. ouch. Nasty digital clipping, that's not good, watch your levels.

All in all some good and some not as good. My vote either goes to Southwest Statistic or Henrietta and co or The White Hat[/b]