Them Dukes, them Dukes... (Moon Shine Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

<b>Henrietta and the Hoodlums are:</b> Henrietta & the Hostage performing a song written by both Henrietta and Jim of Seattle. After much pleading, I convinced Hostage to sing duet with me, and I think it all worked fairly well. Huge props to Jim for the decent chord progression & well crafted melodic transitions. :D

<b>Review Time</b>
<b>Astrolamb:</b> I'd like to see this performed live with a great drummer and louder vocals. The vibrato in the vocals are excellently expressive matched w/ these lyrics. Man, great mood. It could use a different section to switch things up a bit.

<b>Baker:</b> I know almost nothing about making electronic music. It sounds pretty good. I like the harp. It feels like the song is just verse/chorus and then fades out before it's supposed to. It seems unfinished. The melody is pretty good. Mix-wise, the vocals feel somewhat disconnected from the rest.

<b>Caravan Ray-</b> Another really short song. Wait, I guess it wasn't all that short, I just didn't want it to be over yet. I like this tune. I really want to lend you a new mic, though, so I can hear your voice better. :) The rhythm guitar could be mixed louder....putting a hair of delay on the guitars might give it a fuller sound. The guitar could be a lot richer too, it sounds tinny. Good song & performance; very deserving of better production.

<b>Dave Stiles-</b> Good good good. Good production & performance. The only suggestion is: the melody & music feel like they are gonna bring the rock, but the lyrics are all "I sleep sleep sleep". You might change the subject of the song, so the vocalist could let go and use more grit.

<b>Hoblit-</b> It's gonna be really hard for me to not vote for this. The Jim Croce intro is awesome. I can't hear what you're saying, though...

<b>Joshua Fenn-</b>Duet between Frodo and Golum... I really don't know what you're going for here.

<b>The Likely Lads-</b>Nice! You have a lot of talent. The chorus hook is good, but could evolve into something even bigger, bolder, or more musically resolved. I can't decide if opening with the chorus is really the best structure.... having the verse come in first and letting the song build would work nicely too. Overall, good song & great performance!

<b>Max the Cat-</b>A little busy. I think a simple alt-countrified or bluesy bit for the background would have worked better. The creepy monks/choir/synths/percussion seem to be out of place with the moonshine run through the south.... It's almost like the music is too Frank Zappa-ish for the vocal delivery of the story. You may have been going for psychodelia, but it didn't quite mesh. I like your other songs a lot, though, so you've set the bar pretty high for yourself. :)

<b>Midiots-</b> I know almost nothing about making electronic music. Your production sounds plenty good, it just doesn't grab my attention.

<b>Pookah-</b> This song sounds nice with the sparse production. I love mello music like this. The guitars can be plenty louder though. A nice song idea, it seems to end too early so maybe could use another section.

<b>Poor June-</b> Great piano + melody. I think it's time to invest in some decent recording equipment!

<b>Southwest S</b> Great production & catchy & all. I'm really really glad to hear you say this grain of pop is not your normal style. Looking forward to hearing your 'real' stuff!

<b>WhiteHat-</b> Nice vocals & great guitar. As you might imagine, I'm a sucker for acoustic, and this being well played at that. The verse is awesome, which makes the "I'm not here" melody feel a little weak in comparison. ( It also reminds me a lot of Kate Bush's "Watching You Without Me" when she keeps repeating "But I'm not here". )

<b>Wilson Heights Gang-</b> When I 'stream all' the entire fight, this track crashes my MP3 player every single time. But, when I download the mp3 directly from the individual song link it works!! Yay! The mix seems a little off. The rhythm guitar is too loud- esp. when the electric guitar kicks in, it should really be backed off. This is a pretty cool song. I love how it starts mello, and then switch gears and brings the rock. My only suggestion is to bring the rock a little sooner, and maybe make the transition into it very clear & abrupt. As it is, it hints that the rock is coming, and that ruins the suprize a bit.

Man, such good songs.

My personal top fav's in no particular order are Hoblit, Caravan Ray, White Hat
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by SaxManRunning! »

Henriette, live music is all about the sex apeal. I went to see some of my friends play this week, and you know what, there was no sex apeal at all, people were leaving right and left. They all looked full and tired, I was to, but sure as hell wasn't going to show it.

So, I figure, if you just play your guitar naked like the guy from steve harveys big time you can hardly go wrong.

Knock 'em Dead!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

1: henrietta, astrolamb, dave stiles, hoblit, poor june, midiots, southwest
2: baker, caravanray, pookah, wilson heights

maxthecat - weird and interesting music. words aren't as interesting. but i did like the "water" joke.
baker - improving!
poor june - i like how you're using piano lately. nice delay on the vox.
southwest - i could swear i've heard the vocal lines sung this way in some other song.

my favorite song here is dave stiles.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas