Do robot babies dream of electric pacifiers?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Ugly, ugly signature.

EDIT: Curses, that 'joke' is killed by the page-roll.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

but they're from a video game!! he's nerdy!!
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

True, but if he was truly nerdcore, it would be SNES. dot dot dot
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Bubble Bobble is more nerdcore than SNES.
MC wreckshin
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by MC wreckshin »

he is right. bust-a-move was pretty cool as well, and i will destroy anyone who wishes to challenge me in that game.
LSares
A New Player

Post by LSares »

notable mentions:

slicks: i like the simplicity and it's a good song. it's just a little chaotic.
chuck the bear: YES! freaking awesome! love the twist on the lyrics and its just an awesome song.
Jordan Seavers: Man this dude just plain rocks; if i had to pay to listen to his music i would.
Melvin: cool and mellow with a good second guitar part. flawless switch to electric.
MC Wreckshin with Oddioblender: just like the light feel of the song.
Cranial Biffida: epic techno. good female vocals
Luke Henly: could be soooo much better with better harmony between the two singers... or if they sang in the same key. but the song rocks.
so<kpupp3t: the high vocals rock but the guys voice in there just brought it down a level. very catchy

it's between: Chuck the Bear, Jordan Seavers, and so<kpupp3t.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I haven't gotten a "harmonies in different keys" comment in like a year. Sweet!
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I did these reviews with this girl I sometimes hang out with or whatever. Ed on the boards (I think she's made like 3 posts) and Wren to me, she will go as W while I will go as L:

Wages : L - This starts off teasing to be pretty bizarre Mr. Bungle type shit, and then it's like "this is goofy." Too much vocal oomph for not much of a backing "band" to support it.

Friedrich Honighosen Project: L - Weird for weird's sake. And not done well.
W - It's kind of boring, but it also kind of reminds me of Eraserhead.
L - Which was also boring.

Cranial Biffida: L - Goth 80s shit. You're not giving your voice enough air support, so your notes are kind of flat.
W - It reminds me of the Lennon formula, but more industrial.
L - Who the fuck is Lennon?
W - This band, I've played it for you.

Paco Del Stinko: L - Yay, this sounds like a Dead Milkmen homage, and it's a damn good one. I love Dead Milkmen. That punky clean-tone guitar is really awesome.
W - It reminds me of TMBG, but it doesn't sound like them at all. Like TMBG but in a different genre.
L - That's some slick pickin' too. I might have to vote for this.

Luke Henley (me): L - Needs a full band behind it.
W - I like it, but I'm not gonna say anymore on the forums.

Muffcake: L - This is fun, but I think the music is a little more interesting than the melody/lyrics.
W - It feels like I've heard this before.
L - Nice arpeggiator, man.

And Then... Tentacles!: L - No more of this kind of shit.
W - It's interesting.

Boo Chin Balls: L - Your name is pretty much my response to your song.
W - I feel like it'd be better with a different melody, I like the "aaaaaah" part and I like the construction of it. But something's off, and I can't figure out what.
L - The lyrics are pretty bad. "When I kiss you I can't help but be surprised" stands out.

MC Wreckshin and Oddioblender: L - Synth church music? Haha, and then whiney nerd rapping.
W - This sounds like really bad club music that's not loud or fast enough.
L - I like it for the sheer goofiness of it, but I dislike that it's still pretty much a nerdboy rap track. I'd rather just listen to this without the vocals though.

The Slicks: L - The voice is too unhinged, like that flat grrrl voice. The whole thing is kind of unhinged and flat.

shex: L - Good, rich sound. Not that grabbing. Until it gets a little more chaotic and punchier. But then it dies down again. When the vocals come back in about the "real son" I perk up and realize this is pretty fucking cool.

Jordan Seavers: L - SF's pop goldenboy at it again. Doing what you do as always and doing it well, if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

Division of Suns: L - This is pretty boring. Robot voice doing synth System of a Down, wee.
W - Back! This doesn't gel really. The... drums? The synth whatever was good and the other part was good but they didn't go together.
L - You are specific and eloquent.

Friendly Martians, Julie: W - Ooh pretty!
L - Space folk with goofy voices!
W - What happened?
L - This gets a stfu.
W - I dunno, I kinda like it in a cute way.
L - It's like Holy Modal Rounders but too stoned.
W - That's what I was thinking!

Chuck the Bear: W - Shut up.
L - Is this screamo stuff with MIDI everything but guitar/vox? This is hooky. Hooky me on meth.

So<kpupp3t: L - I kind of like the, like, nice sensitive piano that suddenly goes "just kidding, goofy synthy stuff. Is this voice modified? The voice takes me out of it, and yet drags me in. I'm going to go ahead and say that- hold on. Now the fucking Eiffel 65 Cher vocals came in and I'm going "NO."
W - I don't understand. I think this is above me.

Cynthia Size and the Eclecticsp00ns: L - I have a personal bias against computer vocals unless it's x-tokyo-river-god. But this is kind of cool.
W - Oh I like it! Heyyyy, surprise me!
L - Just when it needed something new (pitch-shifted MIDI glock) you delivered. Well-played.
W - It literally took him 3 tries to type that.
L - Fuck.

Framed!: L - I absolutely do not condone music like this. It's always been on songfight and I've always opposed it.
W - Why do all the male voices sound the same?

wwe are smort: L - I absolutely do not condone music like this. It's always been on songfight and I've always opposed it.
W - At least it has snazzy drums.
L - Yeah, keyboard demoes do sound pretty sweet.

Melvin: L - Reminds me of Pedro the Lion. Wren's upset because someone "stole" her livejournal icon, so she's sitting this one out and pouting. This has a lot more soul than other Melvin entries. Oh man, major Pedro-ing after the acoustic part. Probably a little too much, but I won't be a stickler. Oh Wren says she likes it.

Nemphusi: W - I'm sad.
L - About livejournal?
W - No, this.

Adnoisium: L - If I were the king of music I would ban all MIDI. And those who had Fruity Loops would be executed. But I'm not, so I get to listen to you.
W - I feel like he pulled off the monotone vocals the best.
L - Thank God.

Jimmy Jet and His TV Set: L - That drum's not really going along with the music.
W - (did some impression of how she thinks you look when you sing)
L - Hahaha. Yeah.

B. Ellison: L - Glockenspiel always makes things better. These instruments sound... real? Fantastic!
W - I can't tell if the glock is fake or not and I actually own/play one.
L - I like the song a lot, your voice doesn't grab me that much, but it works for the sort of dreamy popness. Ooh this gets better and denser, and the voice goes right up with it. All is well here, forget what I said before. This is really good.
W - Yeah, I really like it.

Bear Squadron: L - Literally the best songfight entry I have ever heard. Until the voice starts actually saying "robot baby" and singing about it.
W - (glazed over eyes) Johnny... Socko... [this is a good thing]

Ninja Bachelors: L - Not what I was expecting for this name. Shame on me.
W - I like the voice, it's nice.
L - Is this Dan? It sounds a little like him.
W - I'm also glad it's not crappy techno.
L - Yeah, this is some nicely done folk shit.
W - Agreed.
L - Yay, little kinda-crappy-in-a-good-way solo.

Space Dust: L - No.
W - Why?
(we literally stopped this 2 second into it)

Glennny: L - Whoah wild. I like it, but I don't love it.
W - It's alright, not really my thing though.
L - It rides the line of novelty and dead-serious, which is a fun line.

ZeaLouS1: W - you got me dancin.
L - Bleh.
W - It kind of dies.
L - Rapping with vocal filters on kind of screams "Does not actually rap." I would suggest letting your rhymes tell your story rather than your effects.

Pained Memories: L - I don't really need to say anything else about this one.

Baker: L - That is one deadpan newscast. Less talk, more Castlevania-core.
W - Why did everyone read this title and go "MIDI!"
L - Your song didn't warrant the sudden style switch.

Rone Rivendale: L - I have to say one of your better beats. But it's still bugging the hell out of me.
W - For once everyone else's song in this fight sounded like a bad copy of you, Rone.
L - The original gangsta. This is a better Rone than ever before, but you still have a lot of work to do. Because this is still just kind of another Rone joint, which is a mixed bag at best.
boochinballs
A New Player

Post by boochinballs »

Congrats to Jordan Seavers for another well deserved win. Surprised that Chuck didn't get more votes but that's songfight I guess ;)

Thanks for all the votes people, I'm not entering the wedding week, but I'll be trying to enter next time.

I'll be starting my reviews of this weeks later today.

Cheers

K
Part of the problem.
<br>For more musical nonsence, <a href="http://www.myspace.com/boochinballs">ww ... inballs</a>
For less nonsense and actual songs,<a href="http://www.myspace.com/sixthline">www.m ... xthline</a>
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Congratulations to Jordan Seavers! Also, thanks to those who voted for me, and for all the reviews. Hooray for us all!
painedXmemoriesX
A New Player

Post by painedXmemoriesX »

that is some Horse shit we did not even get One vote wtf are song rocked harder than anyones. at least we didnt flood the votes w/ our freinds like jordan severes
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

painedXmemoriesX wrote:that is some Horse shit we did not even get One vote wtf are song rocked harder than anyones. at least we didnt flood the votes w/ our freinds like jordan severes
<3
THIS IS NO JOKE
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

painedXmemoriesX wrote:that is some Horse shit we did not even get One vote wtf are song rocked harder than anyones. at least we didnt flood the votes w/ our freinds like jordan severes
Okay, you guys have GOT to be a joke.

If not, you sure seem like one.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

fluffy wrote:
Okay, you guys have GOT to be a joke.

If not, you sure seem like one.
Totally. It's a great joke too. Please keep it up guys, this list needs incoherent aggressive confrontation for the sake of confrontation.

It's beautiful really. I wonder if it's automated, a Perl script or something.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats Jordan Seavers! A well deserved win!
I thought there were really 2 winners : Jordan and Paco, I ended up voting for Paco, but they were both the top to me. Sorry I never reviewed, I did listen to the whole fight many times, but never seemed to have time to write. I suppose for such atrocities I deserve my 1st gooseegg. Yikes. The jury has spoken "Glennny shouldn't sing".
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

KEY:
Cat = Spud or JB (I personally see this cat as being more of a JB. It's got a certain rascal-like quality.)
TV = SongFight Wonderland
"i'll fix it" = "I'll change your vote count!"
Songfighter since back in the day.
painedXmemoriesX
A New Player

what the fcuk? what is a damn Pearl script, were not one of those. of course we're real were real group of guys and we luv music and even though we're only in the 10th and 11th grades we desrve some RESPECT.
an by respect i mean not postin pics of damnn CATS to make fun of us. well be back next week with a better song
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Blah blah blah waaaaaah piss piss moan moan piss moan... sorry, we'll do better next time.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

painedXmemoriesX wrote:we desrve some RESPECT.
You Get NOTHING!

Aw... but in all seriousness, your grammatically-challenged rantings at least made me check your song out.

I will say that your song wasn’t as bad as I expected!

[edit: and yes, Jordan, your song is great!]
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

painedXmemoriesX wrote:what the fcuk? what is a damn Pearl script, were not one of those. of course we're real were real group of guys and we luv music and even though we're only in the 10th and 11th grades we desrve some RESPECT.
an by respect i mean not postin pics of damnn CATS to make fun of us. well be back next week with a better song
Stop it! You are killing me! There is no way you can be this great. And you are right, it would be really difficult to create automated responses this artful using Perl. Perhaps Python?

By the way, whatever evil genius is behind this, mistyping "fuck" was done to great effect, but I have a son in the 11th grade, and he would mistype every word BUT "fuck".

And truthfully, I liked the Pained Memories entry.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

That was no typo, "fcuk" is some sort of clothes company. Urban fashions, or some such.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
painedXmemoriesX
A New Player

SHUT YOUR MOUTHS