Alphabet. P-U-P-P-I-E-S. Alphabet. (puppy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

tviyh wrote: or maybe they aren't nonsense lyrics -- probably there is some kind of meaning behind them, but it totally escapes me.
They are nonsense. No meaning whatsoever in a single word of them. Posted in lyric archive.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Jim of Seattle's song is brilliantly produced and performed, understated and elegant, sheer awesomeness. the title frankly sucked and he turned a lump of coal into a diamond.

and bell green, if you had nothing to say, why post and tell us you had nothing to say? do you think anyone really gives a shit what you have to say anyways?
Hi!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

tviyh wrote:
Poor June wrote:this is the closest i've ever gotten to voting wreckdom... and that's bad
why is that bad? wreckdom often come up with some pretty interesting stuff. i know i have voted for them at least once...
actually now that i think about it... i think i have voted for them before...

i was just bumming on the fight... there were some really good ones... but i think if i had to hear one more dog bark i was goin' go insane...
that didn't hurt jim at all in my decision...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

After careful examination of the tunes representin' this here fight, my vote goes to JoS for it's sheer inventiveness. It was real close with Les Diphthongs which was stuck in my head for the last couple of days, but in the end the brooding, imaginative energy of JoS's interpretation of the title seems to have moved me more. Great job Jim. One of my faves and going into the list of great Songfight! tunes according to TT.

- Pablo
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

although the flavor appears the same, we taste different

Post by vanilla ike »

for the record........not involved in the dragon submission........although i am curious as to who is
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Who are you? And why do you keep standing behind me?
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by vanilla ike »

fluffy wrote:Who are you? And why do you keep standing behind me?
thats what happens when your eleven feet north of brooklyn :roll:
ike=me and i sometimes play the role of WreckdoM's third leg, as it were.
Last week "i" submitted for the first time under Anonymous Musings.....and gained new appreciation for what thats all about.......it was lyric driven mainly, and had obscure depth to it, making it hard to get....not to mention having been tossed out in just a few minutes......but i broke through the "Hi! Men!" introducing myself solo(to you ladies too)...better work will follow....I have been a frequent player when revolving through WreckdoM's "$hits and runs"......which should certainly be an album title........I might be found a few inches from Sacramento.......as the gov'nuh.....or playing jews harp or guitar or trumpet or keyboard or djembe..(we do get some great bass from that).....some of my fav drummin on I am Tempted....but to answer your question more succinctly:
I'm just a dude....and that's what happens when you lead.
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

the Jazz wrote: Roymond (B)
Did you bring Frank Zappa back to life for the crazy middle section? It's scary how much that sounds like Zappa... the rest of it not so much though. Overall it's okay, but I especially enjoyed the middle section and the laughing woman in the background.
Hey thanks for the positives. I didn't have time to finish this off so yes, it has a big hole in the middle, etc. I had a concept of a girl's fantasy about a thanksgiving turkey hunt (with dogs) where the turkeys are waiting...and armed. Thus the laughter, but also I never really got this kind of children's play on word/letters, so I was basically creating a laugh track to a bad joke, I suppose. Then it occured to me that Zappa's Brown Shoes Don't Make It had that quote about a girl about 13...and placed the sample in amongst various other sounds. I admit it was still half-baked but in my mind it was a strong story. REALLY! Anyway I liked the guitars, never got to program any real drum track, and found the binaural recordings of dogs via a reference made in Adam Curry's DSC podcast last week.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Ah-HA! So that's why it sounds like him. It IS him.
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

...Hellooo...ooo...ooo

(crickets...)

Anybody there...ere...ere

Only 6 sets of reviews so far. Unless I get more people telling me I suck, I may have to enter robot-voiced techno-drivel every week.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

i will tell you so when I am prepared to, which should be later this evening.

NO SUCK BEFORE ITS TIME
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Yeah, it's been a long time since there's been a review. It's the holidays. People have things to do. I'm just happy anyone likes my stuff.

Here's a little rhyme I made up while making Madi's lunch this morning:

7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Let's blast off for lots of fun
But if somebody has a gun
We'll wave our arms and scream and run
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

cute
Last edited by erik on Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Do it for the children.
Let cake eat them.
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Computer speakers distort, so I will listen to them as songs and not concern myself with inability to decipher vocals. I’ll assume you’re all singing about something very close to your heart that happens to coincide with the title.

The Prickly Pears: With Raw talent like this, where did they go? I have to say, it’s better than Josh Woodward.

Jim of Seattle: I had to wonder how long this would be at about :45. Pretty non substantial. “Reduced severance package” and “calamine lotion.” I’m confused.

Roymond: This is a better spend of my time than the previous submissions. So far you’re number one.

The Nihilistic Carebear: Is there any other kind of Carebear, oh yeah, Fascist. Your song: I don’t know why it takes so long to get started, but damn That was awesome! I will keep it.

WreckdoM: What a fun song. I think that it perfectly embodies the mind of a six year old with Attention deficit disorder.

Vanilla Dragon: This reminds me of WreckdoM’s first submission with Blueberry Hassle. I figured out how the software worked slowly but surely thereafter. Way too long, predictable and crappy as hell, just like Blueberry Hassle.

Caravan Ray: I think you can do better than this. Why must you wait until the last minute.

Nil: I think this song is alright. Strong winner. I like that.

Giant Robot Counterattack: This sounds sort of dated.

Les Diphthongs: Nice mix. I’m really enjoying this. Very non-offensive. I think doing your song in pseudo-French is successful. This is really long, but it carries itself well. You’re in my top five.

The Jazz: Pay more attention to your levels. I do really enjoy that bass line. This is very quick, and needs more. There’s no “hook.”

Carol Cleveland Sings: I don’t know why you make me think of my mom. Maybe because she grew up near Cleveland, or maybe because her name is Carol, or maybe because she sings. It’s hard to say, but you don’t live up to the expectation. I wish I had something productive to say, but I just deleted about a paragraph of me being rude. I don’t think you deserve the brash side of Dick. I would just suggest that you put more into this. It seems like an uninspired week.

Bjam: Congratulations. I listened to this a couple of times. I’m not sure what you did with those vocals. I like the melody that it produces. It makes it appear as if the words mean something deep to you. I like that in a week(ten days). Is it totally fake or are you that naïve?

Joshua and Lorrie: Ouch@3^8&. You have hurt my ears. Killing puppies in a tone such as this is a poor joke. At least get in the role if you’re going to do this. See Danger bus by Wreckdom. I don’t want to sound Ego-fide, but It’s an extreme example. Live with it. Lemme know what you think.

There you have it. I'll have to decide whether one vote really makes a difference between now and Friday. Good luck My Fellow Americans and Fellow Worldites®.
[/size][/b]
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Had I only noticed the post by Jim of Seattle, My passive-defiant side would have stepped forward and stopped me from posting reviews to not reward negative behavior. Then again, who am I to talk about negative behavior. All of you can go to hell. Thank you and Goodnight.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Richard WreckdoM wrote:Jim of Seattle: I had to wonder how long this would be at about :45. Pretty non substantial. “Reduced severance package” and “calamine lotion.” I’m confused.
Wow, I confused WreckdoM. I should win some sort of special prize.

Oh, and my snooty post was edited. It was indeed snooty, and is no longer.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Yeah, it's been a long time since there's been a review. It's the holidays. People have things to do. I'm just happy anyone likes my stuff.

Here's a little rhyme I made up while making Madi's lunch this morning:

7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Oh yeah. That's MUCH better.

Give your kid nightmares, you bastard.

...kidding. I thought your snooty post was a joke, but then again, I tend to think everything is a joke. I hope to knock off reviews this afternoon... I'm sure you're all just waiting to hear me ramble about your tune as I listen... probably been waiting all week eh?

Ok, tell ya what. If you DON'T want me to review your song, let me know. Richard, you're exempt. I may not always dig a wrekdom (no pun intended, honest) but I always have to check 'em out... so stick that in your grumpy pipe Rich! ...can I call you Rich, Ricky? How's Ricky? Little Ricky? Little Ricky Wreckom? No?

I'm in a weirder mood than normal today. Reviews should be fun...
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Well, I didn't sing it out loud. But for the record it would crack her up.

My post was a joke, but I never know if people get my intention so I'm better off being conservative because I think I've got a reputation for coming across on line very different from how I am in real life.

Oh, and now my song has two verses:

7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

G, F, E, D, C, B, A
We'll come back on Saturday
And if he's put his gun away
We'll kick his ass and make him pay
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Richard WreckdoM wrote:The Jazz: Pay more attention to your levels.
I did, and set them carefully to get what I thought was a decent mix with no clipping... Can you be more specific?
Let cake eat them.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

BJAM: You both need to get off of the mic. The vox are phlegmy and pop on the male. Back up 2" or so and/or aim it away from your mouths a bit. The male vocal reminds me of "Ghost Riders in the Sky." Both vox and the whole mix could use a little compression - everything is a bit pokey. The song itself.. yeah I get the juxtaposition, one hates it one likes it.. Comes across as a songwriting exercise and not a song. Could use a solo that wasn't just the bass meandering about. Guitar mix in the male part is good, but bass-heavy in the female part. Extra points for 96kbs.

Caravanray: BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER SNAAAAAKE SNAAAAAAAKE. Nice B-grade 1993 VW car commercial tune, but not a very compelling listen.

CCS: Weird pillowy bass all over this one. Oh, it's bass drum reverb, and it's pissing all over everything else. Your typical layered add/subtract songmaking method with quiet vox. Eh. Hey wait, the lyrics are trying to be interesting, but they're hard hard hard to pick out. Back to blaming the pillow bass. More uke, less synth.

Giant: It's my man, Clyde Stubblefield!

Teh Jazz: we've come far down the internet music road that not even a great jazz bassline sample can save your piece of shit done-in-ten-minutes bleepfart wankfest from itself.

JOS: Cole Porter much? OK look, you had a _great_ tune going, and then.. why.. why do you sing about your fucking job? Does anyone need to hear the line "interesting severance package" twenty times? I know it's hard to hear the mood of your own music, but, man, what a flub. The vocal timbre on the first parts of the song are really nice - you sound much better singing in that low range, for sure.

J&L: Tune your guitar.

Les Dipthongs: Great vibe. The intruments could use some squashing - this'd be nicer with the vocals less airy and with some seperation from the music. .. Is this Sean? Here is my evidence that this is ABCDARIAN: Singing in french, pronouncing it "aye beh suh duh." Good tonality and translation on the guitar solo.. It's got a nice little bite, and it's coming through nicely.

Nih: A fuck you from the past.

nil: The original friendflooding crazyheads. Check out that one-mic drum sound. Not bad.

Pricklypairs: if i made a french movie, i'd put this in it.

Roymond: Well.. best use of surround in a dog sample. Not my favorite Roymond tune. Why the simplistics?

Vanilla: AW YEAH HERE ARE MY SAMPLES BOOM CHAP BOOM CHAP OK LAY ANOTHER ONE ON TOP BUBOOM CHAP BUBUBOOM CHAP BULLSHIT.

Wreckdom: why did you submit this?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

blue wrote:JOS: Cole Porter much? OK look, you had a _great_ tune going, and then.. why.. why do you sing about your fucking job? Does anyone need to hear the line "interesting severance package" twenty times? I know it's hard to hear the mood of your own music, but, man, what a flub. The vocal timbre on the first parts of the song are really nice - you sound much better singing in that low range, for sure.
It has nothing to do with my job, or anyone's job. It is only syllables. Trying to adhere any significance whatsoever to the lyrics is utter folly. But what I take from the review is that it sounds like I'm talking about myself, so that's definitely a problem. Hmmm, oh well.

Thanks for the comment about the low range. I've wanted to try that out and was hoping someone would yay or nay it.