You sing to-ma-to, I sing your praises.

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

You sing to-ma-to, I sing your praises.

Post by Spud »

Or not. You decide.
Last edited by Spud on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
halen99
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Hammond, Guitar, String Cheese
Recording Method: DIGI 001 / Protools Fostex 8 Track
Submitting as: Eddie Lance

Post by halen99 »

Ross Durand for the win.
"I just wish all instrumentals had vocals."
InMyEars
A New Player

Post by InMyEars »

Man, that signboy song is downright funky!
tuuur
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: bass, guitar, keys, drums
Recording Method: Mac, Garageband, Behringer 2ch line mixer
Submitting as: tuuur

Making this up as I listen

Post by tuuur »

Ross Durand
Excellent guitar work. Nice lyrics too, very listenable.

Carpetburn / Pete
Nice poppy song. Vocals are a bit weaker sounding... but the instrumental part is very crafty done.

Signboy
Funky indeed, and lots of over the top rapping. Not my thing, but well done. Maybe a bit flat sounding.

Luke / Baker and LSares
That intro is weird... like it's from another song. Vocasl drift apart a bit too much. Chorus is catchy, in its simplicity.

The Weakest Suit
Hm. It's a compilation of a few songs to my ears. The "catch up" (or Ketchup) part sticks, but the rest of the song hardly does.

Caravan Ray
Slick and tight instrumental track. Nice song.

Boltoph
Whoa. This is no simple song. Intricate, well done... but not very catchy.

Blues Manufacturing Facility
This sound very much like a Flvxxvm Florvm product. Big fat fuzzy sounds, I like it.

Minty Handy
Cute! Ukelele based songs and little children's voices always work well.

Precarious Loaf
Hm, I don't think I like those harmonies, or the song for that matter. Technically this is all well done though.

Lord of Oats
I wholeheartedly agree with this intro. I cannot stand raw tomatoes, but in cooked or fried state I like it a lot. Don't know why that is, but something about raw tomatoes makes me instantly sick. Not this song though, which I find nice.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Sometimes maybe you gotta wonder if we really like reading reviews about our songs, and if the reviews are more like songwriter's crack cocaine. No, more like Acid. Definitely. It's not always a good trip... :-P

Baker and LSares
Haha I like the way it leads up to "Tomato" even though the tomato seems kind of random. I also like the distorted vocals in the beginning. And the first few lines of the verse. A couple other choice lines in there that I really like. Timmy's in the well: I'm hoping this means he's saucing hard! Almost can't stand up. My friend John once drank a few extra and ended up sandwiched in between glass doors and concrete steps. The "tomato" reminds me of that moment, just a sort of chaos that comes out of nowhere. At first the guitar solo is boiler plate blues bends, but then there's a note or two closer to end of the solo, something very egyptian-like, that caught my attention. Kind of random, and rough. Could've maybe shortened the song and the guitar solo and gone right back to the vocals, skipped the key changes and ended with a more enthusiastic Tomato, tomato. And when I say enthusiastic, I mean like drooling and freaking out on the floor. In the best way.

Blues Manufacturing Facility
Oh man this is Spirit in the Sky. Who cannot say that it is? You can say that it's a common chord progression that is used again and again in music and it probably is, but the execution, the melody, the rhythm, even the guitar tone and solo is right from Spirit in the Sky. This song just makes me wanna scream that song!!!!! fuck. That said, I like the rawness of the lead vocal and obviously you guys intended to cop some of that era music, with the American Woman line. Personally I could do without the first guitar solo, feels like it's either "avant garde" or he's just reaching for the notes and not sure of any scale, not really seasoned in playing by ear. It is definitely blues, and definitely sounds manufactured, so I gotta give you that. It's just that i might expect a "facility" to have all the chops, all the breaks and therefore some raging guitar work like what I was looking for.

Boltoph
Ah shit, it's my song. The alternate title was "got a new computer and a hell of a lot of softsynths," It's about two different people, I could do tell but I'm gonna just let you imagine. If you saw a picture of one of the guys, you'd laugh too hard and I don't wanna be liable...I mean, how you feel when someone calls you a tomato? It can't be a compliment...but in this case, it is!

Caravan Ray
Actually the truth is I'm doing pushups while listening to your song. I gotta get in shape and this is my ticket. I love when the acoustic kit sometimes blends with the electronic percussion and how it comes in strong at times, like a third of the way through the song, thats a nice little addition. And how the vocals string along with "rain runs down..red...etc". And a few tricky things on the bass, little drops. Very nice. Too short. WTF. Had to repeat it a couple times. Like jumping jacks. You know I wanted to hear a huge metal SMASH after the long "red" and the stop.

Carpetburn
Lots of vocal melodies really turning nicely. Thought it could have stuck with shorter, less wordy lines, like the "I look out for the little guy". These are some nice lines, that whole verse with "i just wasted my time". I dig that. Thought it lost the catchiness a bit in the chorus. I liked the two word smoother lines. Very R.E.M. ish. Wasn't as into the prechorus part with "i live on tomatoes". Some of those lines in the verses are great though. Better than just bearable, that's a great line too. Like how it gets into a story a little bit.

Lord of Oats
Put them in a sauce or something. Hahahaha this cracks me up. How "sensitive" the chorus music gets along with the galant vocal. Waltz?! Funny shit. I don't see the point in a guitar solo but the vocal is great and over the top, and the old fashioned style of backing instrumentation is also really garagey sounding and interesting.

Minty Handy
Very handy, less minty. Very catchy, you've gotta market this shit at grocery stores and places where moms and kids go. This is really good children's music stuff, and I'm absolutely sincere in that. You should get in there and write different albums, one about, say, Vegetables (featuring the hit track, "Tomato"), Animals, Plants, Bugs, etc. could be a whole chain of good selling music and stuff, and I think you might be tapping a market that isn't as internet savvy, all the illegal downloading and such.

Precarious Loaf
Nice entry of the band, I thought it should started right with the "makes you want to cry". It starts off as a nice parody, but gets a little tired around the middle where you say do you want to die? The toms are a weird distraction somewhere there after the middle of the song, it's a good sort of show tune or Queen-ish catch on the melody line. Hard to tell if your really serious or just playing fun.

Ross Durand
I like the chord change by "columbus discovered you". The sun-dried and roasted oh how i love you is a great fuckin little melody too! Damn, it's nice. It's really a honest song about tomato. I was waiting for this to build and kick in with the whole band, all super super new-country'd out, that would've cracked me up. Full on mandolin, four acoustic guiars, ibanez bass, and big reverb drum kit, hahaaha. Where was it. Ok you forgot the harmonica solo too ;-) Great lyrics and it is really about the joys of tomato. Nice work. This or Caravan Ray gets it so far in my book.

Signboy
Round and juicy and very full of seed? WTF? That is a killer line. Holy shit, I love it. I was gonna say that this never built up into a real song until it got to that part. Ripe and squishy? These are all the right words man. Fan-fuckin-tastic. It could've had more in the instrument court, too much compression or limiting or something on the drum kit, losing the kick drum. Good to have the vocal loudest in the mix but this could be a bit much. I need to hear the bass kickin with the kick drum. But what a great chorus line. Now it's between this, Ross, and Ray. So far.

Tuur
It's a nice guitar, reminds of John Denver in one part. Keep on playing, pretending I didn't see, and the oohs after that are so smooth, love em. Nice turn again on 'inside I cry'. I thought the theme could've been better served if "Tomato" was a person, someone loved but lost or something like that. Could even be like a suicide note with that ending. Hmmm...haunting, seems like it'll stick with me for a bit. I really like those background vocals.

The Weakest Suit
The ketchup was a fun vocal part and a really nice feel on the guitar chords. The beat is weird, just one of those times I think I'd rather not even hear a beat there. It's like it should just be turned up or left out all together. The vocal line repeating for the last third of the song gets a little monotonous. I thought the whole song should focus more on that ketchup chorus, but I like it on the rolling, moving forward.

It's gotta be Caravan Ray, Ross Durand, or Signboy.
LSares
A New Player

Post by LSares »

Well, I gave a go with my friend baker and wrote and recorded our song in about an hour. We'll probably try and post semi-regularly and spend a lot more time than we did on this one.

The few that stood out:

minty handy
I really like this one because you have a pretty good voice and knack for the simple/catchy tune. Plus the child in the song is priceless.

boltoph
holyfreakingwow. This song is one of the only classy uses of synth/midi in all of songfight... my songs being in the un-classy category. But this song gives me hope and inspiration to start using midi instrumentation more effectively. It's just good stuff

blues manufacturing facility
cool sound but sounds too much like "Icky Thump" to be considered original. And the vocals either need to be better or more synthesized.

singboy
I like the way your samples came out and the style of your singing, but not the way it's executed. Needs more structure in the vocals.

Can't decide between minty and boltoph
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

man, songfight needs more signboy.
Hi!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Very catchy, you've gotta market this shit at grocery stores and places where moms and kids go. This is really good children's music stuff, and I'm absolutely sincere in that.
Thank you! After reading that, I realized that people on SongFight (except for Glennny, heya buddy) don't know that most of what I write is children's music, but I haven't recorded a CD yet. As it happens, this is my first SongFight song intentionally written as a children's song (Pig Sticker was more of an accidental kids' song) so I'm glad you like it.

So thanks for the kind words, and for what it's worth I'm a couple songs into the arrangements for my first crack at recording a children's CD -- your comment was well-timed to help me feel like it's a step worth taking.

Quick question, though: do you prefer the lower key I sung Tomato in, or the higher key I've done other songs in? Tomato was an anomaly in that I wrote and recorded it without adjusting the key up, and I thought it was too low...feedback appreciated. :)
No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

hey, these "tomato" entries were pretty good!
I especially liked:

precarious loaf

and

signboy

and

lord of oats

also, to a slightly lesser degree: boltoph and tuuur

-and the rest of it was sweet enough.

good job, y'all.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
TheCapitalistYouth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Firepod/Cubase LE, 80's era TASCAM 4-track

Post by TheCapitalistYouth »

Minty: I'm not familiar with your other songs, but I thought the one you did for Tomato was great. The key seemed to be very appropriate.
WEBSITES >> WOO | WOO | WOO
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Also to Minty: I thought the song worked well and didn't feel strained or forced, vocally. Good job with the kids singing (mostly) on cue, too.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

MintyHandy wrote:Quick question, though: do you prefer the lower key I sung Tomato in, or the higher key I've done other songs in? Tomato was an anomaly in that I wrote and recorded it without adjusting the key up, and I thought it was too low...feedback appreciated. :)
I think it works well and sounds natural, actually. And I think it would serve the "album" best to have a mix of different keys. Use both the high and the low, in appropriate places. With kids music you can even use the different keys and pitches to signify things like "slow", "fast" (as you can imagine, would equate to "low", "high", or using the pitch to illustrate like a happy or sad, mean or nice.) Best not to just randomly decide to go high or low, but for there to be a thematic reason for the pitch. Need to have the whole gauntlet of variety...at least that's what i think...

man it's a dead town around here, huh?
herojima
A New Player

Post by herojima »

i voted for my friend, and didn't even listen to any other songs. I hope that is allowed around here.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" - FZ
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

herojima wrote:i voted for my friend, and didn't even listen to any other songs. I hope that is allowed around here.
Well, it' not EXACTLY kosher, but as long as you keep your mouth shut... Oh. wait. Too late. One vote removed. Sorry, Boltoph. Get some smarter friends.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Spud wrote:
herojima wrote:i voted for my friend, and didn't even listen to any other songs. I hope that is allowed around here.
Well, it' not EXACTLY kosher, but as long as you keep your mouth shut... Oh. wait. Too late.
Hahaha! Hey wait they didn't say they voted for me...I don't need to see the vote in the SF final vote count to know that it counted, it's good enough for me just to know i was voted for, even if I didn't win the big prize that it was all riding on ;-) Thanks anyway herojima, you know it!

but you should listen to those songs in the fight. it is a good fight...there're a few goodies like I was writing earlier...round, juicy, full of seed...hahahahaha

soss
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

JK, anyway, Boltoph. I let the vote stand. Mostly cuz, you know, I am not gonna start a practice I'm not prepared to defend.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Spud wrote:JK, anyway, Boltoph. I let the vote stand. Mostly cuz, you know, I am not gonna start a practice I'm not prepared to defend.
I was just happy to be in the fight, to rock the tomato...votes or no votes...

I better not win this one. This is Signboy, all the way. My vote goes to Signboy.
LSares
A New Player

Post by LSares »

I say Minty 1st, boltoph 2nd
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I voted for Carpetburn (the only correct prononciation of 'tomato' was only part of the reason)

will try to do reviews soon...
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

I got asked for an autograph in the mall today. :lol:
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

HIGH DISTINCTION
CARPETBURN: Great song. Guitar sounds great. Is you production sounding a little more polished than usual? Whatever - Great work. Vote!

MINTY HANDY: The only thing I hate more than songs about food is songs involving children. You have done both - but it works! Well done

DISTINCTION
SIGNBOY: Good stuff. Not my favourite here, but a very well deserved winner all the same. Great vocals

THEWEAKESTSUIT: Great guytar. Good rythym and melody. Lyrically, the "ketchup" bit sounds silly, but it is a great hook. Just change it to "catch up" and you have a pretty cool song. Vocals a tad dodgy here and there - but who cares.

CREDIT
BMF: Cool music. Sounds like Flvxxm Flvrm. Maybe a tad too long

TUUR: Really nice sound - but I have no idea what you are going on about

PASS
BOLTOPH: Very polished - but not really doing much for me

PRECARIOUS LOAF: Not bad - very Bowie-esque

BAKER &LSARES: Not bad. Vocals a bit sloppy - but not excessively so. Love the stylophone(?) solo

ROSS DURAND: I now understand the wisdom quoted in your signature - "I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge

FAIL
LORD OF OATS: Silly
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

hey thanks for the comments Ray, glad you liked the song. I don't know why it's sounding more polished than usual; it was in my FAWM album so I certainly spent less time on it than usual for SF entries. Maybe I have a habit of buggering about too much with things if I have too much time...

Also sorry for not reviewing this week. Too lazy :(