I'm crushing your head (A Problem of Perspective Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: I'm crushing your head (A Problem of Perspective Reviews)

Post by jackfrost »

City of Dis wrote:I insulted some performances so that the performers can see where they're weak. I complimented strengths, where applicable. I just don't feel like participating in the mutual masturbation society that seems to crop up here sometimes. If everyone always says "great job" when something clearly is not a great job, then no-one ever learns and grows. It seems like most of the "reviews" I've read on here (for a while, mind you) are simply a circle of people giving each other gold-star stickers... It really seems at times that the general level of creativity and musical comprehension is shockingly immature. If someone is hurt, but realizes that there was some truth in the barbs, then maybe their next song will sound better.
these are big words from someone who has not submitted a song to a fight.
a lot of fighters here are producing multiple songs per month.
therefore, a lot of the other fighters and reviewers get to know the different fighter's styles and abilities and are able to recognize a fighter stepping out of his/her genre or a leap in songwriting or recording ability.
someone who comes out of nowhere and offers short, mostly insulting reviews, is generally not going to be thanked for the (minimal) effort.
if your musical comprehension and abilities are so much better than everyone else here, why are you wasting your time listening to the fights?
people like you crop up a few times a year. the last guy though, at least had the balls to submit a song. (see the "Thank God for Memphis" review thread).
at least now i have a use for the "foe" feature on the new message board.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, I'm one of the least harsh reviewers, but not because I expect a mutual handjob: I'm an old cornball and am like that in 'the real world'. I enjoy the nasty reviews if appropriate and not just written to be a prick. Everyone's got a different style is all. Pointing out a song's fault is completely appropriate, and agreeably often the best way to motivate someone to improve. But so is the old fashioned constructive criticism approach. It's up to the recipient to listen and, in a parental type term, apply themselves.

I've gotten good reviews, bad reviews, and free passes as well, and although my level of talent doesn't equal many of the others here, I've learned a lot. Even applied much of it as well, best I can. I look forward to a song from the City of Dis. Not to slam it out of spite, but to give it a fair shot. Corny? Tough shit. :)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

...city of Dis, from Dante's levels of hell. The city of Dis is the level of hell to which all non-believers, who have not otherwise sinned greatly, will go. The city is surrounded by a field containing countless numbers of burning coffins, in which the heretics lie, screaming. Limbs from non-believers are scattered around the plains, and the city itself is surrounded by thick iron walls.
to dis (third-person singular simple present disses, present participle dissing, simple past and past participle dissed)

1. (informal) to diss; to show disrespect
I don't know why anyone should expect anything either positive or useful from this guy.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

I find myself of a mind to reply, despite the light of Spud's wisdom. But maybe this guy's not a troll; who knows? Anyway...

It's songFIGHT, not songLOVE, but yeah dude-- put up or fucking shut up. Or are you scared now? Your "harsh" reviews, which I can't believe people are getting pissy over considering some of the things that are said every week, undoubtedly will cause even those who would be constitutionally disposed to spoonsful of sugar to come down pretty hard on anything you submit.

In light of this perhaps your critiques, which were as self-centered as any too-cool-for-school Pitchfork "review", were a subtle, subconscious way of poisoning the well and softening, to your own mind, the criticism you know you'll get when you finally work up the nerve to enter a fight. Because you suck.

Yeah, see, I'm saying you suck, and I haven't heard a thing you've done. That's because most people suck most of the time. The burden of proof is upon YOU, dillweed.

And the rest of you, pipe down, geez. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Nobody owes you a review, let alone a nice one. Don't let the nicey-nicey pussies go to your head.

JB, who is obviously the author of the sf autoreply
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote: Don't let the nicey-nicey pussies go to your head.
:idea: Caravan Ray and the Nicey-Nicey Pussies!
erin.
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: kazoo, ukelele, accordion, shakers, tambo, vox.
Recording Method: Cubase, Garageband
Submitting as: Moss Palace,BSS, Merisan,Tiny Robots,Loyalty Day,Bourbon Drops, ...ect

Post by erin. »

"City of Dis" said:
Merisan: Starts out kinda Jewel-y with the intro, gets all Dixie Chicks harmony there, kinda has a Carrie Underwood vibe overall. I don't like those girls' music.

Wow, I guess if I owned any of this music I would understand your "dis" a little more. From what I do understand, they are all successful millionaires with amazing record deals. Thanks!!!! :wink:
Eeep-opp-orp-opp-opp...that means I love you!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I love the heat of the kitchen, just to be clear. Crank it up. I also laugh when I hear the term dillweed.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

erin. wrote:"City of Dis" said:
Merisan: Starts out kinda Jewel-y with the intro, gets all Dixie Chicks harmony there, kinda has a Carrie Underwood vibe overall. I don't like those girls' music.

Wow, I guess if I owned any of this music I would understand your "dis" a little more. From what I do understand, they are all successful millionaires with amazing record deals. Thanks!!!! :wink:
personally, i thought the song would have sounded right at home on tanya donelly's lovesongs for underdogs cd (which is incredible). i don't remember any of your other songs really reminding me of anyone. either way. stellar song.
erin.
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Moss Palace,BSS, Merisan,Tiny Robots,Loyalty Day,Bourbon Drops, ...ect

Post by erin. »

Well, thank you so much TWS! I have only heard a little bit of Tanya Donnelly, but have really enjoyed what I have heard. It's always so interesting when SF'ers compare me/Merisan to other artists. Some other artists I have been compared to:Juliana Hatfield (Thanks Glen!!!!), The Cranberries, Mazzy Star,The Softies, Suzanna Hoff (from the Bangles), Jenny Lewis...ect. So, I am a bit more familiar with these artists than the ones mentioned by "Mr. dis". I suspect that he mentioned those particular artists because he actually doesn't listen to much music featuring female singers, and these are the few he actually knows. Or.... maybe he has a Brittney Spears poster next to his bed? I have no idea what this dude would like, because he has yet to submit any music. (ahem- hint, hint)
At any rate, I enjoyed your song this week. I think it could use some more layers (bass, piano, ect). I hesitate to use the term "flesh-out" because I don't think it needs to get much more complicated, but I would like to hear you try some harmonies if you have the time. Oh, and LOUDER vox...don't be shy! I especially like the "snake in the grass" pre-chorus part.
erin.
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by erin. »

Caravan Ray wrote:
jb wrote: Don't let the nicey-nicey pussies go to your head.
:idea: Caravan Ray and the Nicey-Nicey Pussies!

How about "Dillweed and the nicey-nicey Pussies."?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

jb wrote:But maybe this guy's not a troll; who knows? Anyway...
I am not saying he is a troll. I am saying that he has clearly indicated where he is coming from, which is always good. That allows us to view his reviews in the appropriate light (or lack thereof).

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I don't see anything wrong with those reviews. A bit too much of the old "look at me and how I clever I can be describing why I dislike these songs", but hardly indicative of someone who's just trying to get under people's skin.
No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

Stu Jordan: the fuzzy bap-bap-bap guitar near the end is a little weak, I would've rocked it out more. The acoustic guitar is better... overall, the guitar/bass interchange is decent. Personally, I don't like the "baybay / girl / conversay-SHUN" kinda thing, but your voice is sweet enough. The vocals-only thing at the end is a good idea, but I think you should have used an alternate melody or something. In general I find this nice, though a bit boring.

Dying Light: man, those are some clackity-clack drums. Not really a bad thing. Ohhh, I liked the beginning a lot more than the verse.. it had me expecting a sort of pop-punk approximately 10 years this song's senior...? Maybe? Is that right? The weak vocals are fine by me. I don't think you shoulda doubled them on that chorus, tho. The ringing guitar bits here and there are nice and pretty. I don't like the breakdown. A lot of this is a matter of taste, so fuck it, good job man.

The Capitalist Youth: Some nice subtle bass/guitar variation I didn't notice at first. Your voice is damn good on this. But yeah, I don't like it, big surprise. The ending was timely - I'm glad you didn't bring it back down, noodle around a bit and let it fizzle out. Not my thing, sure, but well done.. and I think I like it more by the end than I expected at the beginning. Or something.

Iqballers: hey, more weak-ass vocals for me to like. This reminds me of early Shins/Flake, in parts. Damn, I find the whole bad production raw goofy thing so endearing. This was a lot of fun. The changes are sweet. Cool cool.

The Weakest Suit: a little *too* warm, maybe. I don't think you "fucked up" the 3rd chord; it sounds nice to me, it's just got a softer attack or whatever you call it. Actually, a lot of what I've liked about your stuff is the, uh, "real" quality of the guitar playing. There are some real pretty melodies in there - particularly "smiling on everyone"/"far away on the telephone". I think you could've come up with something better than "snake in the grass", but oh well, no biggie. Reminds me of one of those cute little lullaby songs on old Smashing Pumpkins albums. I like those songs. This, I like, but not as much.

The Hand Formula: yeah, that is some killer fridge-buzzing or whatever in the background. This song is what it is, and it's short. I'm not sure, but that buzz might actually be good for the song. Kinda makes it.. creepy. I think maybe you should have played around with the instruments more, maybe turn the repetitive jingles into some kinda super-pretty jingle solo at the end. I dunno, there's just not much to it. It's nice enough, but it sounds like you didn't put much work in.

Reality, Respond: whoa, this is interesting out of the gate. I'm totally digging the goofballishness, and then YEOWCH that is some saccharine singing. Is a 10-year old boy trying to seduce me?! Nah, it's cool, just kidding. Actually, I think the vocal angle is a good idea, it just needs to be pulled off better. Like, smoother. Better mic usage / recording consistency. Maybe I'm wrong, tho. It could be intentional, and the song definitely works as it is. Well, except near the end, where this synthy solo thing comes in and it's totally too loud. And then the end itself, yeah, hmm. Let's just say, fix that ending. Otherwise, I'm not sure but it sounds pretty good.

Accessory Twelve: quite a contrast of super-light and rather-heavy you got there. I think you may have pulled it off! Oh, I almost hoped for a minute there for some crazy Mr. Bungle shit... it's not gonna happen, OK, let's judge the song on it's own merits. I wish I could understand the vocals better.. (usually something I don't give a shit about, but this sounds interesting). Hey, you posted the lyrics, awesome! ...OK, makes sense, pretty good. Music is regrettably lacking the "weird part", true, but totally fun and successful at what it does. Thank you! Good song.

Anja Claire feat. Evil-E: something's wrong with the bass/drums vs. the vocals/guitars... there's a big divide between the fuzzy muffled rhythm section and the tinny/up-front other stuff. I don't like the false ending either. Nothing particularly wrong with it, it just doesn't seem to fit to me. Not sure why exactly, sorry. The lyrics are ambitious and well-written, fo' shizzle. Everything sounds well-played, but I swear there's this big empty space hanging around between the different instrument parts... was this a collaboration-by-internet kinda thing? Cuz that might explain it. Or maybe I'm just trippin'. Pretty nice song regardless.

Thanks For The Frisbee
: OK, I can't stomach this. I'm not 100% sure I got the plot/story right, but if I did, it's full of emo-sexism. She wants to let you in, but you're too far out, which apparently means you're more hung up on her ex-boyfriend than she is. I think that's what you're saying in the first part? Then, a little later, I guess she's DEAD? "As we lay you in the ground". Big red flag, right there, EMO DEAD GIRL. And really dude, she wrote you a letter, said she was well, so take her word for it. It was never about her at all, was it man? If I'm hearing the lyrics correctly, this is way more offensive than that Kid Cruiser chap making a freakin' joke. ...and, the music and stuff. I find it boring, but I'm sure others will find it tear-jerkingly beautiful. (sigh).... I guess you're good at what you do.

Merisan: pretty voice, does nothing for me. Too lush. A little too loud. The voice, that is. Music: use the shaker less. Otherwise, polished and classy and not something I'm very qualified to criticize. Cuz I don't like it. But of course it's pretty good.

King Arthur: I've been listening to that Ween song "Your Party" a lot lately, and I know that's prolly not a very apt comparison, but it works for me cuz I'm not really familiar with, what is this, yacht-rock? Yeah, I dunno, but what I mean to say is I like this more than I would have, like, a month ago. I think the drums are too hissy and a little too loud. That *is* a good guitar solo! Thanks. I like your voice. I like this song. I'm not sure if I misplaced the, uh, genre or not.. but this song does make me wanna do cocaine at sea with a bunch of washed-up, plastic-surgery'd, but ultimately fascinating people. Nice!

Ralph Baumgardner: sorry, sounds like the, uh.. Shitty Femmes. And the "stupid cunt of a bitch" shit isn't really funny unless it's, you know, some kinda joke. Too much sloppy multitracking on the vocals. "Fall through"? That's what you want to happen to the stupid cunt of a bitch? Pretty weak.

Melvin: OK, I still don't like Melvin's music, and Melvin is still obviously a badass and it doesn't matter what I think. Great job Melvin, you rap better than the "nerdcore" guys. Write something weird and discordant someday, just for me? Your music is always spot-on, I'm sure you could do it. Come on, it'd be fun!

Lord of Oats: at first, I'm hearing Atom and His Package. If your voice was a little more polished, I'd say better than Atom and His Package. The extra synth riffs at the end of the 1st verse are super cool. After that 2nd verse, tho... it gets kinda boring. That bass thing coming back in was OK... but in the last third of the song, the lyrics get worse, the music doesn't do anything new... it kinda fizzles out. Sorry to be a jerk, but from what I've heard a lot of your stuff kinda fizzles out, with maybe a too-long guitar solo(not this time, thanks!) or a super-minimal slow synth section.. this one is no exception. You gotta work on your endings, man!

Kid Cruiser: well-applied title, good music, not too long, shockingly funny. What's this about friend-flooding? I don't know who the hell you are, but I voted for you. "Spread your butt wide open" - oh jeez I can't believe you went there... yeah, I'm a sucker for this kinda shit. I loved it. I guess that makes me a bad person. Whatever.

Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders: I like the goofy pop / hick aesthetic. I really don't like the chorus. That verse is cool, and it grows on me... I really wish the chorus was better. Even the singing gets worse on the chorus... this is really a case of something with some great potential, botched up by a bad chorus. Seriously, bummer.

...and to those of you who are so revolted by City of Dis (full disclosure: he's my friend), just take it at face value. 1 - he hasn't contributed any songs yet. 2 - he wrote reviews. 3 - he didn't like most of the songs. Them's the facts. Uh, big fucking deal, much? Maybe I'm wrong, and we need controls on this here site so that can't happen.. so no one gets hurt! Only Songfight veterans get an opinion! bleahhh.....

-lotsa love, brothers and sisters! (I'm not kidding!)
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
Englisheddiemusic
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Reaper, Toneport UX2
Submitting as: I go by many names....

Post by Englisheddiemusic »

Dying Light: man, those are some clackity-clack drums. Not really a bad thing. Ohhh, I liked the beginning a lot more than the verse.. it had me expecting a sort of pop-punk approximately 10 years this song's senior...? Maybe? Is that right? The weak vocals are fine by me. I don't think you shoulda doubled them on that chorus, tho. The ringing guitar bits here and there are nice and pretty. I don't like the breakdown. A lot of this is a matter of taste, so fuck it, good job man.
Lol thanx. When im older I can have a more punky voice but for now Im afraid thats all I can get. I know its lame but I think its marginally better than an instrumental song. The only reason I doubled them is 'cause they makes them sound stronger... Eventually I won't need to do it.

Thanx for the review/constructive crit. Yeah its just that that style of breakdown worked so well on another [non songfight] song I just had to try it. On reflection, I agree, it was unneccicary.
Dyinglight-the energy is great! The music is really cool in my opinion, but you need to do something about the vocal recording. The vocals might be good but the sound quality sucks bad. Otherwise it’s a fun song …it sounds like 1000 punk songs that already exist. Although punk is kinda like blues, its basically the same few songs recycled over and over, but its still entertaining to listen to.
Thanx man. Again with the vocals, lol I am letting myself down. Yh pop-punk songs sound similar sometimes but they are fun nontheless. Not deliberately copied from anywhere obviously.
Dying Light - From my perspective, the vocal recording quality is powerfully different (read: Karaoke) from the guitar going "ba-na ba-na ba-na ba-na" and the drum sucking. btw, that intro solo was terrible. (sigh) this song is TOO LONG
Fair enough. I understand your points, and appreciate the honest crit, but the sarcasm is quite lame and un-needed. If you want to say my vocals are shit just say it!And "ba-na ba-na ba-na ba-na", could you explain that more clearly, that could describe loads of songs i know. But seriously, I think too many people are giving you complaints about the way you crit. I judge music by my standards and there is nothing wrong with you judging by yours, however high they may be. If you did submit a song fight I would give it a fair chance like all the others, and if it was the best it would still get my vote. I think it is just the scarcasm and back handed comments that make people a little bit offended, maybe if you toned that down a bit people would appreciate what you are trying to do.
City of Dis
A New Player
Instruments: guitar, piano, vox, programming
Submitting as: City of Dis

Post by City of Dis »

I managed somehow to miss Accessory Twelve. Damn. Well, here goes:

Accessory Twelve - I like how the keyboard changes after the second strum, rather than with it. I like the chord progression and the weight of the guitar. Good drums. Vocals remind me of Optiganally Yours. I like the cadence. Tone's a bit muddy, tho (particularly in the beginning). That may be an element of style, I suppose. This is a good song, and one of the best songs this fight (in my opinion).

that is all.
Job 1:7, 30:29
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

Hi everyone, apologies for lack of reviews so far. Not that it's an excuse, but I got fired this week and I've been scrambling to get back on my feet. (Incidentally, I know there's probably another thread for this, but if anybody has any connections to production jobs in the Rhode Island/Mass area, I would be much obliged. You can PM me to avoid thread disintegration.)

I'll get to reviews and responses within the next hour or two... apologies in advance for two-in-a-row posting - is that what it's called when I post two (different) things in a row?
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

So here’s the deal: I listen to each song twice, in the order it was presented to me by the randomization algorithm on the main page. I take notes while I type, occasionally pausing the song if I need to focus on a sentence or something. Then I turn my notes into sentences, largely by adding “I” to notes like “like the vocals.” The length of my reviews largely depend on how long it took me to listen to the songs twice, plus how much I (dis)/liked them. And the reviews will probably get either shorter or more rambly as they go on – keep in mind I’m starting at 2am here. Oy.

Reality Respond –
I like the intro, it reminds me of R. Kelly’s Ignition (Remix), nice layering of keyboard and guitar patterns
Vocals a little weak, but appropriate to the song – echo & vocal processing not quite there but I get what you’re going for
Mixing a little off, I’d put keyboards lower and voice higher
Clacking at end a little irritating – at first thought it was clapping, but I can’t get over how irritating it is.
Many elements of the song, from vocals to keyboard, are pretty irritating but it wasn’t until the clacking at the end (and the way-too-high-mixed keyboard near the end) that I really began to FEEL irritated. So good job walking that line.

Verdict: All in all, a goofy charm, catchy beat, and good melody/use of the title.

Iqballers –
That’s me. Depending on the speaker setup, the hard-panned bass and guitar either will or will not work. Btw, I played bass, James played guitar, and we recorded them live. Vocals and the guitar at the end were added in later.
I think my vocals probably should have been mixed higher, I sort of wanted it to sound like I was singing it live a little distant from the microphone, but… yeah.
I think I’m gonna do a little more production on this – backup vocals on chorus.
I see what people don’t like about the vocals, but I like what I was going for here. Sort of a Violent Femmes style.
The 2nd guitar at end should have been mixed higher.

In the end, I like it, but I think I can do more with it.

The Weakest Suit –
Melody isn’t super interesting, but it gets the job done I suppose. It doesn’t grab me/
Hm. The ass/grass rhyme a little irritating – also, just a pet peeve, but ass/grass rhymes perfectly and then when wall/bar doesn’t rhyme, it feels out of place – decide if you’re gonna use perfect/imperfect rhymes?
Chords need a little more variety – like the melody, they’re functional, but not that interesting.
I like the chorus “hi how’ve you been, it’s been too long.” Catchy and endearing.
I found myself checking to see how much longer it was half-way through – not a good sign. So it drags a little…
For what it’s worth, I kind of like the slight echo in left channel.

Verdict: It is endearing, I’m not gonna lie.
You said it was a live take, and that’s good. It feels like a live take. I wasn’t gonna guess it was “pretty improvised”, so good job on not making it feel improvised. That said, if you could do something with as much heart as this when you’re half-assing it (just based on your own comments), I’d like to hear you put more time/energy into it. But don’t lose that endearing quality… I expect you won’t.

Jeff Robinson –
Nice intro – I was secretly hoping you were gonna do the whole thing Renaissance Faire-style. But I suppose it’s good you didn’t...
Techno-country sound is a little grating, lyrics are a little wince-inducing, but functional. I do like the line about “chasing after money, wine, women”
Different song sections nice, gets a little epic – especially the post-chorus guitar solo
I can hear the work you’ve put into the production – it sounds good.
Your voice is not my favorite. “Got say I love you anyway” would definitely benefit from stronger vocals.
Pet peeve: let the song sustain out at the end – it sounds weird & unnatural when it cuts before the sustain is over. Listen to the end of King Arthur’s for an example of doing this right.

This very much is typical of what I remember about Songfight. Catchy, faintly irritating voice, but pleasant enough to listen to. And I want to listen to it again. So, good job!

King Arthur –
Production sounds good. Damn, it sounds good.
Voice is a little weird – I like how weathered and “old” it sounds.
Good use of the title in chorus.
This is very pleasant, I could listen to this in a Brazilian Restaurant. It makes me groove.
I like the bassline. I definitely appreciate a good bassline.
Bridge gets the job done.
Solo is not spectacular, but it also gets the job done.
I like the harmony vocal at the end of the chorus.

Pet peeve: lyrics work, but some are a little silly: “the way I see you is colored by all the things we’ve been through” – oh really? You mean you don’t forget who the other person is every time you interact with them and start completely fresh? Ok, that was a little douche-y, but that was just my initial response. I guess there’s nothing wrong with talking about natural phenomena in relationships, but your lyrics are a tad cliché.
Also, I’m beginning to see a theme with this fight: “Perspective” seems to bring out “I say/you say” back-and-forth lyrics. To be fair, my song does the same thing, so maybe I don’t have a right to complain about that.

Verdict: You are a craftsman, and it shows.

Lord of Oats –
I love your name
Nice build. I almost don’t want the vocals to being because I’m afraid they’ll ruin the nice vibe you’ve built up.
Surprisingly, they don’t!
I was gonna take points off for starting the song with the song title, but then I realized that you’re taking the title a lot more literally than most, so it’s pretty much ok.
“I’ll go veg when the lion does, ok?” – I like.
This gets better the more I think of this as you just bitching over a techno beat.
I started to get bored right before the synthy melodic break, but that melodic break was nice variety, and it’s nice how it previews the vocal melody.
I laughed out loud at the latex line.
I think my amusement at this song might have something to do with how late it is. But nothing wrong with that.

Verdict: You bitching over a techno beat = comic gold.

Kid Cruiser –
Nice Aphex Twin bass. And “ooh” vocals. Damn, another nice intro. Please don’t ruin it by singing!
Ok, you ruined it in a completely unexpected way.
Damn it, I don’t want to think about the subject matter of this song.
I see what you did there. R. Kelly. I like it in spite of myself.
Nice stylistic experiment… but come on. 12?

Verdict: Blissfully short. No pun intended.

Accessory Twelve –
Your name sounds like a line of handbags
A little boring, vocals don’t grab me.
I kind of like the droning vocals and instrumentals.
There’s enough to like about this, like the weird cowbelly thing over “love that’s lost”, but it just doesn’t grab me. Sorry.
And it’s way too long.

Verdict: meh. There really is stuff I like about this, but it just doesn’t jump out at me

Stu Jordan –
I don’t appreciate starting the song with the title, but you make up for it with interesting melody and chords.
You do the “I got/you got” thing I mentioned in King Arthur’s, but I suppose it works here too.
Damn, this is actually pretty good. You got a little Ryan Adam, a little John Mayer.
Quibble: if it’s on your inside, it’s probably not a jealous rage. I dunno, I suppose it technically works, just doesn’t quite ring true to me.
That hook is pretty killer – “what can I do to get through to you?” And the harmonies are pretty nice. You have a good voice – not great, but works for you, and a lot less irritating than most people in this fight.
Bridge works, but points out how much better production this song needs. On the plus side, your guitar solo reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age.
You seem to have a good handle on real human emotions. Wonderful little details: “seeing the Manors” makes it real personal.

Verdict: This would probably benefit the most from better production. The recording sounds amateurish, but the songwriting is totally solid. Awesome.

Melvin –
I like the chord progression off the bat.
YES! RAP!
Political Nerd-Rap!
Damn, this is pretty fuckin catchy. I am very impressed with this fight. Very good quality on a number of songs.
Rockin’ solo. Maybe the best of the fight.

Verdict: Someone totally needs to make this into a flash video of Jefferson and Madison arguing. Or Marx and Adam Smith.

Merisan –
Was this the one people were comparing to Jewel/Dixie Chix? Nothing wrong with them, but I’m hearing Tori Amos.
This is very pretty.
And well-produced.
I like the pedal guitar volume swells.
Definitely pleasant enough. Not quite holding my attention, especially during the guitar solo.

Verdict: Very pretty. Honestly, not holding my attention, but it is almost 4am and my attention is starting to wane.

Dying Light –
Damn, Mighty Mighty Bosstones much? I like where this is going!
Your vocals need to do better than that to compete with the muscle of the rest of this song. I feel like I’d like this a lot more if you were singing the exact same thing, just a lot louder. Is there any chance you could hook your microphone up to a PA or amp and mic that amp, so you can really feel more like you’re performing live?
Or, better yet, just get a bassist and drummer who also like pop-punk and start a band. And record said band.
Because I really like everything else you’re doing here.
Nice instrumental bridge – arpeggios, etc.

Verdict: Keep on doing what you’re doing. Practice singing loudly.

Anja Claire feat. Evil-E –
Or are you the one people said sounded like Jewel? Your voice reminds me a little of Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs – in her more mellow mode. Or that Moldy Peaches chick.
I like that chorus. Are you referencing Plato?
That reverb at the end is a little out of hand.
After a fight full of extended intros, I enjoy the cold start. Also the false end.
This song has a driving, circular feel/rhythm. It would sound great live.

Verdict: good stuff. Catchy and idiosyncratic. I like your style.

Ralph Baumgardiner –
The noodly guitar line is a little irritating already.
I like sarcasm, but whoa! Much anger there is in him.
Something about your delivery reminds me of the Garbage song #1 Crush. “I would die for you… etc.”

Verdict: thoroughly inconsequential. Maybe if I was less tired I’d give this more energy, but the tone and impotent rage is really turning me off.

The Capitalist Youth –
Nice beginning and great tone throughout.
Your voice is actually quite good. You have a nice wistfulness that places it above the average guy-with-guitar.
I also like the guitar work and that kick drum.
I really like how it builds to the end. Your voice starts a little nasally then builds to a richer and fuller voice. One suggestion might be to start with the stronger voice… you probably will do this in other songs.

Verdict: This sounds like the one acoustic song on an album of punk songs. But maybe that’s just because your name is The Capitalist Youth. Anyway, a really nice and modest song.

Hand Formula –
Tape hum, ukulele, toy piano, whispered vocals. Makes me want to listen harder… the melody is not bad either. But would it kill you to make the vocals slightly louder so I wouldn’t have to strain? I think I like the words, but I can’t fuckin’ hear them. I like “__ isn’t dead, it’s just waiting for someone to explain it”
It does have a very nice intimate feel.
Not quite sure if there’s a chorus or if it’s just a refrain at the end of each verse.

Verdict: I like lo-fi, but geez!

Thanks for the Frisbee –
This sounds like the last song on the album! And it’s the last song on my list! Crazy!
This is another song that starts off the bat. Again, I appreciate it.
I like these double-tracked vocals and guitar figure. The first time the second vocals come in, it’s great.
Your lyrics and melody are really nice, and kind of affecting. Damn, you’re almost making me tear up!
The guitar solo is a little silly, but I think it’s appropriate. It kind of ruins the emotion you built up with that last verse. Maybe a violin would be better.
The sparse instrumentation starts to get a little tired/run out of steam, but the addition of a third (?) voice/harmony helps with build.

Verdict: Perfect last song.

Overall: Damn, there were a lot of great songs! Much better signal-to-noise ratio than I remember from the “past.” I’ll probably post a follow-up sometime tomorrow to address peoples’ specific feedback on my song. Damn (again), I’m exhausted. But happy I got to listen to so many great songs! And so few shitty ones!
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Lunkhead wrote:Kid Cruiser
I nominate you most likely to friend flood...
But I bet those 9 votes were actually from real people who seriously thought you had the best song.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I've posted a much better mix of our song here in case anybody is interested:

http://people.geneticmail.com/sam/meris ... ective.mp3
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

where's the kid cruiser remix??
there are probably nine people dying for it.
Englisheddiemusic
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Reaper, Toneport UX2
Submitting as: I go by many names....

Post by Englisheddiemusic »

Dying Light –
Damn, Mighty Mighty Bosstones much? I like where this is going!
Your vocals need to do better than that to compete with the muscle of the rest of this song. I feel like I’d like this a lot more if you were singing the exact same thing, just a lot louder. Is there any chance you could hook your microphone up to a PA or amp and mic that amp, so you can really feel more like you’re performing live?
Or, better yet, just get a bassist and drummer who also like pop-punk and start a band. And record said band.
Because I really like everything else you’re doing here.
Nice instrumental bridge – arpeggios, etc.

Verdict: Keep on doing what you’re doing. Practice singing loudly.
Cool thoughts. I do have a band but we do heavier stuff, and I have no way of recording drums. I only have one mike so I couldn't hook the mike up to a P.A and sing through that, but its a nice idea... I guess I have got to put a lot more power into my vocals. But i do try lol.