Review Faster (Run Faster Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Review Faster (Run Faster Reviews)

Post by Spud »

alternate thread titles will be considered.
Last edited by Spud on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Re: Review Faster (Run Faster Reviews)

Post by Kapitano »

Spud wrote:alternate thread titles will be considered.
"Fan Roster"

Brilliant new titles, BTW.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

thread?

Post by historyman68 »

Run Your Tapes at a Faster Speed In Order To Get Through All Twenty-One Of These Entries in Less Than A Day!

okay, that's a really long thread title, as well as dumb, but... what do you expect?
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Review Faster (Run Faster Reviews)

Post by erik »

Spud wrote:alternate thread titles will be considered.
Get stuck in the chimney dressed as a bunny
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"I finally got a Pentium!"
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Niveous wrote:"I finally got a Pentium!"
That's off topic :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

In addition to the version submitted here, I did <a href="http://fluffy.songhole.org/run_faster/">three other mixes</a> while on the airplane from NYC to Albuquerque. Just for those who are interested.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

As long as Fluffy is posting other mixes so will I. Well, not really an other mix: When I encoded Children of God's submission (I live on the west coast) I said to myself "Puce, you always submit at higher than 128 bitrate. It's time you started being nice to the Fightmasters. I'm sure 128 sounds fine". I may have done something wrong, or maybe I'm just not used to 128 bitrate, but the submitted version is tortuous to listen too. Here is a 192 VBR encoding of the same song.

Reviews will come soon.
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

WARNING! HUNGOVER REVIEWS! APOLOGIES IF I'M INCOHERENT!

David Over: I really like the audacity of this song and the concept. The arrangement is a little thick and off-tempo at times. I wish some of the tracks were more clear (in other words, better able to be heard) and there was more of a melody to glue it together.

J$: I like the instrumental arrangement of this songs but I don't care for the way you "slide around" with your voice. The melody is hard to follow because I can't tell what pitch you are singing.

C Layne: Ghetto synths, eh? Awesome intro. I love your voice and I appreciate your musical instincts. You have a great sense of melody and the overall arch of a song. I didn't like the instrument choices at first, but I got into them by the end of the song. I especially like the instrumental break at around 2:50, that did me in. Awesome job.

Carol Cleveland Sings: How do you get your songs mixed so loud? What's your secret!?!? I like the feel to your songs -- kind of ironically-hyper. I also always appreciate your instrumentation. This song doesn't stand out compared to your other songs, but still very good job.

Jim Varney All Stars: The Alvin and Chipmunks effect was cool but gets on my nerves. Don't like the repititiveness. Really like the guitar solo at the end. If I thought CCS was hyper, you definitely take the hyper cake.

Deshead: I like that you have a good lyrical hook to your awesome songs. It's what separates the men from the boys, so to speak. You have awesome musical instincts.

Boltoph: Like the instruments, but it's a little reverb heavy. As is the voice when it comes in. Bass line is amazing. Don't usually listen to lyrics, but some phrases stand out in your song as pretty cool. I kind of feel a real drum would be more appropriate in this song, but I understand that you might not have access.

Jack Shite: Favorite Jack Shite song!!!!! Awesome fiddle (you playing?) and love the "boing" and the duck-like noises. Great feel to this. Also love the break-down towards the end. Extremely impressed.

Poor June: I love your improvement as an artist. You've really come a long way. I love the backward effect, it's done in a really classy and subtle way. Now, I would like a more clear and pitch-friendly melody. In other words, much like the J$ I can't really tell what pitch you are trying to sing because you are all over the place. But really great job.

Roymond: Now that I'm a NYC resident, I totally know what you are talking about. My favorite is BxM10, the express bus that takes me into Manhattan from the Bronx. Love the chorus in this song. And that's pretty good rapping! Love the arrangement here, especially the "Ahhhh" swooping sound. My only criticism is it seems very thick, especially at the end with the crowd sounds.

To Be Continued....
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

DDDog: Opening reels you in. I like that you bring back the rolling drums. "Is God afraid of us?" is a great line. The atmospheric vibe you set up is good but it's too droning to go back and re-listen to get the joke. The probelm with overly-atmospheric songs is the only people who like listening to it over and over again are the composers.

Abecedarian: I like the harmonies at the beginning a lot, but the pitches seem off or jarring at specific moments. I felt the song needed a break out moment but instead it stays atmospheric. See above.

Edgar Delos Angeles: Cool chord progression right off the bat! Excellent production here. I'm not one to eat up a song just because of its "rock" genre (like a lot of people on here), but this is so well done that it has mass appeal. Solo in the middle is amazing. Great job!

Kapitano: I like the elctronic arrangement, but the voice doesn't fit the genre. The melody is repititive and uninteresting. I'd like to hear this as a (G-d forbid!) instrumental. Some of the instrument choices are cliche and overused but that's a minor complaint.

Children of God: I would have known this was Puce even if I didn't see the previous post. The key to the success of your songs is the amazingly skillful fusion of heavy metal and electronica. The voice is (purposefully) more jarring than some of your other songs, and for that reason I'm not going to keep it on my playlist, but I think you did an amazing job.

Honest Abe: Voice fits really well with the feel of this song. The percussion that comes in is really good. I wish there were more of a chord progression in the chorus. As it stands, everything in this song is pretty static (I'm guilty of this is in my song). Awesome solo as well.

Fluffy: Favorite fluffy porcupine song!!! The melody is really good, but I don't like the instrumentation that much. A little thick for my taste. But the percussion is really good. I especially like how you sing "I'm running faster." Great job.

Andre: Too low-fi for me to get into it. What pitches are you singing?!? What chords are these!?!?

Wreckdom: I like your tribute to 2005. I like experimental, but much like atonality before you it's unlistenable to everyone but the composer.

Location, Location, Location: I think you have a really clever name. OK, to the song -- opening is great. Great production and mix. Doubling of the voice is done well. I would speed up this song just a tad as it seems to drag right now. Also, there's a "loose" feel to this song that gets on my nerves. In other words, the voices and various instruments don't seem to sync up tempo-wise. I think this could also be solved by speeding up the song.

Finally...

Me: I know it's overdone but I just had to get my feet wet with autotune. I also put much more effort into lyrics than usual. "I'm not one to use words and I don't like to sing," both fits in with the plot of the song and is also an allusion to my instrumentals on songfight. Thanks for everyone's future reviews!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

abecedarian
i like the vox alot, and i like how you've played around with panning them. i wish they had a bit more presence in the mix. the minor seventh sort of feel to it works well with the arrangement. the mix just needs some oomph, some mastering maybe. kind of depressing tune.

dee dee dog
hey, i lived not too far from the susquehanna once. the drumrolls seem kind of pointless, no matter how well done. otherwise, it's sort of endearing.

roybombinominand
solid production but i don't really like the way you sort of growl/enunciate on the vocals. some harmony vox could really add to this. the MC Redmon part is pretty good. i wish you'd low passed the hell out that, like he was coming out of a beatbox or something. it's great production but the tune itself isn't sticking with me.

boltoph
nice. infectious groove. good vocals, although they tend to blend too much into the mix. great drums, bass, guitar. this is pretty solid all around. nice job.

lonbobby vs. autotune
the fact that you so cleanly come clean about it makes it fun. and really well done.

johnny cashpoint
pretty good but it's begging for that clash like reggae wah riff. i like the country feel to it too. it's like country-white-boy-UK-ska-reggae. just like i'd expect from a name like johnny cashpoint :)

deshead
for a guy and guitar song, this is pretty well done. it's a bit formulaic and could maybe use some harmonies. the keyboard is really underutilized. great singing and guitar though. really solid.

andre was here at midnight
well, i admire your perseverence. it's a bit too luuded out for me.

kapitano
there's some cool parts to the mix but it starts to drag as it goes on. it needs some serious beat to get my booty shakin and wake me up. for a gothy sort of thing, it's fairly well done but you look at the cure and how they make gothy goodness and it's because it's got the hook, and i think thats what your missing here. production is good. just hookless.

honest abe and the emancipators
killer intro. i like the idea. the doubled vox works really well against the bass and drums groove, which is really tight. nice little breakdown too. this sounds like a redcar sort of thing...i dig it boo coo. has a soundgarden vibe going for it.

location times three
well, i recognize ken and erin i think. it's pleasant enough. and nicely produced and played. you guys remind me of poi dog pondering.

edge of LA
not bad. the drum turnarounds get a bit sloppy and the mix is sort of muddy. i don't hate it. i'd like it more if it was tightened up a bit.

c layne
this is really good. great singing. hypnotic mix.

jim varney all stars
when i lived in virginia many moons ago, jim varney used to sell cars before hollywood found him. i met him once. you sir are no jim varney.

poor june
the singing sounds significantly better production wise. even good when you double it. piano sounds good too, and i like the backwards stuff too. nice job man. the equipment upgrade definitely shows!

david over
well, points for being ambitious but it seems too busy for my taste.

carol cleveland sings
as always, stellar production, manic execution. and i won't use the C word to describe it.... :) (it's really good)

fluffy porcupine
at first i thought i was going to hate this but when the singing came in, it grew on me. especially the good reverb on the vox. all the destructive stuff in the mix actually works good against the clean acoustic and spare vox. this is pretty good. i like it.

historyman
has some nice moments but seems to in-jokey with the vox and lyrics.

children of god
nice. the industrial buildup to the vocal screams of jute gyte. is this a collab? this has a puce gyte collab written all over it. pretty tight. this has puce's mix prints all over it. really good.

wreckdom
decent production but still dumb as hell.

jack shite
me. the fiddles are made up from 6 different 8 bar loops i got from efiddler.com (thanks chris) that i kludged together. the drums i did in reason. the other stuff i added include but not limited to acoustic guitar, bass, autowah electric guitar, mandolin, 2 kazoos, 5 handclap tracks, cowbell, and the juice harp i sampled from brody's "what we need more of is science". it was tough as the bridge is in a different tempo so i had to create seperate drumkits for the 2 sections.
Hi!
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Lonbobby wrote: Children of God: I would have known this was Puce even if I didn't see the previous post. The key to the success of your songs is the amazingly skillful fusion of heavy metal and electronica. The voice is (purposefully) more jarring than some of your other songs, and for that reason I'm not going to keep it on my playlist, but I think you did an amazing job.
the vocals and lyrics are me. everything else is the wonderful mr. puce. so you should definitely blame me for the song's exclusion from your playlist, not him.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Lonbobby wrote:Poor June: I love your improvement as an artist. You've really come a long way. I love the backward effect, it's done in a really classy and subtle way. Now, I would like a more clear and pitch-friendly melody. In other words, much like the J$ I can't really tell what pitch you are trying to sing because you are all over the place. But really great job.
yea my voice hasn't been very friendly probably ever... i try... i'll continue workin' on it... still sort of searchin' for how i wanna sing ya know?... it's all semi-similar just small changes here and there... hopefully in time i can get better...

jack shite wrote:poor june
the singing sounds significantly better production wise. even good when you double it. piano sounds good too, and i like the backwards stuff too. nice job man. the equipment upgrade definitely shows!
thank you very much :-)
i kept feeling somethin' was really missing from the song
and i don't know if anyone else felt that either
but for the life of me i couldn't really figure out what it was...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Lonbobby wrote:Kapitano: I like the elctronic arrangement, but the voice doesn't fit the genre.
I've sometimes thought the same thing. But what genre does fit with my voice? Was Kapitano designed to sing soul, reggae, opera, glam rock?!

Or backing vocals for The Supremes :( .
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

First round of reviews. I'm very generous tonight. Just really enjoying hearing this fight. There are three 9s and three 8s in this first installation! But I don't think that's being overly excited or anything, these are resonating with me. And I use that word three times, and others twice. Weird.

Abecedarian
This has a wonderful sense of sweet creepy-core. Love the close harmonies. Very very beautifully Robert Wyatt. I love as the vocals become more intense (up to "I can run faster than you), which then releases. The feeling throughout (vocals, chromatic guitar harmonies, etc) all seems so convincing. 9

Carol Cleveland Sings
Manic, charming, Kaleidoscopic. Sometimes I don't know where to start with you guys. Let's just make this a 9 and call it a day.

J$
Lovely guitar tone. Man, this is sweet. Very Willy Nelson, when he's drunk. The middle section loses momentum but then recovers nicely. I love the production, juxtaposition of vocal parts and the guitar segments all work nicely. Have to say this is my favorite of yours. 8

Edge of LA
There's very little I like here, but it's put together nicely I guess. It tries to be slick but comes off just greasy. Over compressed, cheesy-wah lyrics and cliche changes, although this is all relative, right? 4

Dee Dee Dog
Someone else commented about the snare rolls, and I agree that they don't add anything. The droney arpeggios are fun and moody. 5

Boltoph
Coolest groove I've heard in a while. Beautiful production on the instruments - there's a nice inner resonance in my headphones. The vocals are muddy though, to the point that its really hard to even understand the lyrics, although the level's fine. Shame. 8

Poor June
Wow, you have a voice in there! If I recall correctly, you have new mics. Best money you never spent. Backwards stuff is very nice, and subtle (best to keep that stuff subtle). Everything's evoking 70s male heartbreak this week, you're hitting the Peter Hammill nerve. Which is good. Keep doing this! Oh yeah, not just you, but don't clip the ending! let it ring, then fade to silence for at least a second. 6

Historyman
I feel like I'm in a revolutionary war re-creation scene. So sue me, this is very charming for some elusive reason. I love the assertively spastic drums in the middle section. Very 'staged' sound. Oh, those multi-tracked harmonies near the end are pretty assaulting. 6

Location Location Location
I like the cyclical guitar parts and evolving drum arrangement which defines the structure with the bass. Also like the cascading vocal harmonies. Total end-of-film-fade-to-credits groove. I wish the spacey break was more open, delicate, even. Nice descending progression coming out of that. 7

Fluffy Porcupine
Nice resonate bass tone intro and awesome full assault riff. This isn't the old fluffy. We like this. Swimming in maelstrom gooeyness. Nice drum programming/playing/whatever. Love that. Love the clipping. Love the build. Damn. Don't like the clipped ending though. 9

Lonbobby
You don't have to apologize for playing with a new toy or effect. This works and only gets over done in a couple places. Very effective chromatic lines and your usual brilliant production. The autotuning clipping is hard to avoid and you only hit that twice i think. Cher may like it, but she could straddle a missile and get votes. 8

Kapitano
The vocals are much too low in the mix. Nice electronica mix and timbres. I don't go for this style but you pull it off well. I like the leading bass line used this way, but there are a couple chords that are so ambiguous and they don't seem constructive. I have to listen to this later and figure that out. 6

Children of God
I could hear the Go Gos singing this. Cool dynamic mix, kids. Tight and driven. I love it as much as it annoys me. It could use even more embellishment from weird oscillators and such. Like the open high hat at the end. 7
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Wow. I've listened to only a few of the songs in this fight but I gotta say, they were really good. Lonbobby, you are some kind of awexome. Great take on the title, great chromatic lines, and I great effects on the vox, I would call that experiment a success! (EDIT: I almost forgot, least gratuitous treatment of "fuck" I've heard in a long time)
c.layne, another good track, and it sounds like nobody as much as c.layne. A distinct sound is worth its weight in gold (yes, I know that doesn't make sense, sound not weighing anything, but never you mind - it's worth a lot). Any news on the album with Fourstones?
Let cake eat them.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Collagen implants in your dog might make him cuter.

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

The positive words only...

My vote goes to Carol Cleveland Sings again, truly an amazing artist!

Props to J$ for an original and well executed idea.

Roymond, you... well... you freak me out and that's a GOOD thing.

There are a lot of good tracks here, just most are marred by off-key off-beat vocals. Except - Wreckdom - actually delivered an awesome vocal take this time.
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Man, I wish we could've entered this one. I had a song ready, but there was no time to record. By that I mean, I was too lazy. Oh well. Looks like there were plenty entrants. I say I'd like to review them, but I probably won't. Dial up, woooo!
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

reviewzzz!! POW!

abecedarian
i love the dark feeling going on here. it probably needn't be said, but it makes me think almost instantly of pink floyd. the only thing that saddens me is this has the potentially to be this awesome epic song, and break out with all sort of crazy shit like strings and horns and percussion all over the place. i realize that most people don't have those things at their disposal (i sure don't) but that sure would be fucking awesome. great mood here, though. i dig.

andrewashereatmidnight
your voice has a lot of character, but the pitchyness is really getting to me. the sparse arrangement is pretty pleasant, and builds ever-so-slighty getting towards the end. i dare say i could like your voice, if you were at least consistently pitchy in the same place.. if that makes sense.

boltoph
it took me a minute to pull this all into place, but this is what i imagine 311 and dismemberment plan would sound like if you put them in a blender. i love the bass. the guitar effects get to be a little much as the song progresses. i think i'd like them in the chorus, or during transitional parts, but all the way through the song it starts getting distracting.

hmm... well, my connection just shit out on me. i'll have to finish these later. sorry :(
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

my reviews

Post by johnsonic »

Abecedarian
Good harmonies. Like how it gets lighter with "is I can run faster than you". Good melancholy song... Production wise I would have like to hear more guitar.

roymond
Cool chords! I'm liking this alot. I dig the production quality, though the vocals are a touch loud, would have liked to hear a few more variations in the percussion.

David
Acapella! Eww, I can hear your spit! :- P This is pretty cool, would like to hear it devloped more with instrument. Production wise, I thought it was good.

Lonbobby Experiments with Autotune
Cool! Very cool. I like this one alot, this will be accompanying me on the train in the morning. I Really thought the production was stellar.

wreckdom
Sounds like fun.

Historyman
I'm having a hard time getting past the vocals searching for notes. Other than that It's an ok song. Production wise I don't like the drum tone, and the mix is very dry.

fluffy procupine
This sounds big! That white noise almost sounded like a mistake. This could be really awesome with more work on getting the vocals to hit the note instead of hitting around it. Production wise - I like it. Really bright / good mix. There was some white noise and distortion and stuff I assume you were using for effect... not a big fan of it used that extensively, but hey - that's just me. I liked it.

Location Location Location
Awesome harmonies. Nice and melancholy, not sure if it's laying in the sun on a crisp autumn day in the park watching kids fly kites melancholy, or watching rain drip rivers down a windowpane melancholy. Production wise - awesome. I like this alot... It will be keeping me company on the subway. 1/2 hour later - Shit. It's been stuck in my head.

Andre was here at midnight
Needs work on the vocals (pitch tracking and phrasing), but otherwise an ok song. Production wise - I'm probably wrong, but it sounded like the electric was out-of-tune, or maybe just bad intonation. I couldn't really hear the hand drums.

Honest Abe and the Emancipators
This is mine, so I just say what's bugging me about it now that I've had a day or two away from it. I need to have more variation in the opening percussion, and have vocals lower in the 1st verse. I need to sing it when I'm not sick. Not sure I like having everything panned right-up-the-middle. I like how my new bass sounds.

The Johnny Cashpoint Chocolate Cabaret
Reminds me of a 1960's 4-track. This song is very straightforward, doesn't have a lot to excite me. Production-wise - To my ear I think there's a touch too much verb on the vocals, also some apparent punch-ins.

Kapitano
Intro reminds me of Mouse on Mars. I like the ambient synths. Production wise - I can't really hear the vocals, and it sounds like they're ok for this type of song.

Carol Cleveland Sings
Holy crap this mix is loud! How'd you do that? This song is tight, short, and reminds me of christmas music for some reason. Not Bad! Production-wise - more bass!

Edgar Delos Angeles
This is really live sounding... cool. Straight ahead ROK. Production-wise - I'd like to hear more drums, a bit more "crack" in the snare, a bit less presence on the electric.

Children of God
Holy synth. Vocals are too loud IMO, they should be almost textural, since you can't understand the words anyway (I find them covering up all the cool stuff going on underneath). I really dig the structure of this song, all the cool noises, bleeps, and organic instruments. Production is tight. If the vocs were lower this may have been with me on the train.

Jim Varney All Stars
Hey! I can pitch shift! This one didn't didn't do much for me. I can't understand what you're saying. I guess the gimmick here is that you made the tape run faster?

Location, Location, Location gets my vote.

ROK
BUTTZ?
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Children of God: There is some very nice attention to little details on the electronic side with respect to placement and volume. The one suggestion I would have is that instead of adding to the complexity and character of the piece these careful modulations are sometimes lost in the overly homogenous feel of the thing. In particular I think that the singing only reveals one tone that doesn’t ever vary through the song. Confucius say “In absence of light, the concept of darkness has no meaning.” Confucius also say “Man with musical advice must listen to self speak.”
Dee Dee Dog: Points for unusual body of water name. Lay off the glue, dude.
Honest Abe and the Emancipators: I instantly like the complexity of the beat. I have this gut feeling that the bass line could have been better somehow because it’s really the backbone of this song and sometimes it doesn’t quite hold its own. I also think the guitar could be much more pronounced in the chorus. I like the chorus and the transition into it a lot.
Jim Varney All Stars: I really hate the chipmunk thing, but that’s my hang-up. The 2x guitar solo was pretty entertaining though.
Johnny Cashpoint: I like 0:40 – 1:00, and I like the drunken feel of the chorus. If you would have recorded yourself or a group of friends cheering or clinking glasses or laughing at strategic points, this song would have much more of a live feel that would play really well! As it is it just sounds way to heavy on reverb and not very refined. But as a live song (even if feigned) it would feel more natural and fun.
C. Layne: This has a really hip feel to it. The drum set isn’t quite full enough, almost as if the samples are just too short. Usually that’s not necessarily bad, but in this case I think you could perhaps have used samples of slightly longer length and slightly higher depth and quality. Even given this I really dig this song though. If I was hanging out with friends at a bar I would consider this a good choice by the DJ.
Boltoph: I get the same ‘sideway’s feeling with this that I get listening to sonofsupercar. It’s almost like things never really resolve themselves, but this is more like Sting to their Electrolux. I think this sideways feeling in your case is mostly because the drumming is idiosyncratic invariant and I guess I want a breakdown into something else. This reminds me of several occasions where my lack of proficiency with drum machines leads me to be unable to create a complete song in time, compelling me to submit only half of a song. I like the tone of this a lot.
Abecedarian: I rushed this and I’m not too thrilled with some of the vocal performances or even necessarily my arrangement, but when Gus performs this live I expect great things…
fluffy porcupine: Wow, crunchberries. This is different from anything I’ve heard from you before. The lyrics are still a little straightforward for my taste (leave/believe, etc.), but I like the heaviness. I guess a significant chunk of me wants you to start yelling by the end, though. Let it out fluff. Emo is a cage to escape from.
Andre Was Here at Midnight: For the good of human kind what the hell note is that you hit at 0:04? I’ve asked you to tune your instruments before so I must assume that you are experimenting with dissonance. Stop it.
Lonbobby Experiments with Autotune: I always like the atmospheric quality of your songs and in your case I’m always intrigued by the scales you use for the singing on top of a slightly different scale underneath it with the piano. When I think of the ‘lonbobby’ style in general I get a visual image: a belly dancer in a Moravian tent who is grinning evilly underneath her veiled face as she watches sweaty men drink drinks that she has poisoned, and she dances the dance of seven veils as she waits for them to keel over dead on the sixth veil. I consider the ability to generate such a complex visual scene a good thing in a musician.
David 'Over: A capella. Very bold. Sounds like what I imagine Trent Reznor is like when he writes music before he actually records it. This is a good idea that could be good when implemented correctly. The underlying humming does get a little repetitive. Break it down once or twice.
Edge of LA: Here’s some rocking. Sweet. Okay now it’s way too sweet. Saccharine. This almost has a grateful dead feel to it.
Location Location Location: Wow gorgeous intro! Right guitar slightly out of tune, though. Loses the tightness a little after the intro. There is something redemptive and absolving about this song. This sounds actually like a song that Ken would write. Actually is that Ken singing? Crap there’s Erin, this must be SF based, but I don’t recognize the third? The third singer has a really nice tone with a lot of emotion behind it without really trying for it 2:10-2:20 is gorgeous! I like Erin’s release at 3:20 that was nice. This must have been a really complex song to rehearse. Wow. Good job.
Humbert: You touch my tra la la, my ding ding dong. Eh. Sorry I’ve got nothing to offer you. I do like the harmonies in parts though.
WreckdoM: Several cannabis plants were harmed in the production of this song. Happy New Year to you too!
Deshead: Your voice has a really nice tone. This has a Christian rock feel. I’m usually not a prick but I’m going to be one to you today. I have to say that I detest the lyrics to this song. A hundred thousand people died in a tsunami last week and you’re singing about why no one is crying for you? Sorry, but I’m just a little fed with our society’s complete lack of humility and you are just the poster boy of the day.
Historyman: Sorry historyman I’m in a foul mood now and I’m not really getting into this. I’m not going to be useful to you.
Poor June: Nice piano. This song had a purity that you lost at 1:05. In your case loose the harmonies I say.
Jack Shite: Wow what a fiddle! Holy cow, pass your partner around! I like the mouth harp too. Nice touch. That was a lot of fun! Thanks.
Kapitano: The vocals are pretty soft on this. I like that samples of voices inserted occasionally.
Carol Cleveland Sings: Whoa way fast. Red bull gives you wings. This is awesome. I totally want to see this live. There is nothing about this that I don’t like. It was completely out of the blue given the rest of the fight. “Exercising might improve..” that line and the accompanying build up and release. Wonderful. Brilliant. That’s my favorite song of yours to date. I couldn’t listen to a whole album of that, but as a one-shot-go it’s fantastic!
Roymond feat. Abom: I like the speed the penguin can swim. And it’s got French too, so you know I’m down with that tip. Funny premise. I like your eye. And great guitar work.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

abecedarian wrote:I’m usually not a prick but I’m going to be one to you today. I have to say that I detest the lyrics to this song. A hundred thousand people died in a tsunami last week and you’re singing about why no one is crying for you?
Here are some exercises designed to help you think less literally. They'll give you a richer appreciation for all sorts of lyrical verse, and may even improve your own song writing.