Might as well... JUMP! (Fell Out of the Sky Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Might as well... JUMP! (Fell Out of the Sky Reviews)

Post by erik »

go ahead
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Nice topic, heh. This is my first art submission, whee! Completely tied up musically learning how to play and sing at the same time for the SFLA show, so art'll be my, ahem, contribution to the site for the time being. Rock, y'all!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Some things that fell out of the sky:
Jordan
A New Player

Post by Jordan »

Dangit! Guess the deadline really is the deadline...submitted 15 minutes too late. Poop. :(

Guess I'll put it on Somesongs.
My website. Now with 10% more gumption. That's a whole slightly lot!
gimpel
A New Player

Post by gimpel »

first time posting reviews. I respect a lot of what I've been hearing and reading here, and as a sign of that I'll qualify my post. I'm not very musically talented, I listed to nearly all genres of music, and as a consumer I know what I like. I also personally know one of the entrants and thus all of my reviews could be biased. I thought I'd make a review from the perspective of someone who channel surfs the radio while driving.

a LOT of good entries this week, however I felt several of them were very akin to the "They might be giants" feel. (In voice and in lyrics).

Eddie - good opening, caught my attention, this channel stays on, the quality of this production jumped out at me.

15-16 I really wanted this song to take off, it attracted me, but the prod. quality seemed a little off to me, I didn't change the channel but afterward was hoping for more. I didn't understand the lyric "head over heels like a left handed swing." unless it referred to a boxing move, I found myself puzzling over this line and distracted me from the rest of the song.

bellgreen - sounded a lot like they might be giants (that's a good thing in my book) had a good sound to it. the lyrics didn't attract me much but the voices and the organ did (again tmbg -esque)

abecedarian - similar to they might be giants... i REALLY enjoyed the lyrics, felt they were edgey and original. The only thing was by the time I got to your song, I was tired of hearing "heaven...and sky". So that might have made me consider changing. Musically, I felt the drums were canned, I wanted a fuller, richer sound to accompany those nice lyrics.

hostess - drums need improvement I couldn't get past it.

bewells - a different style from your previous. I liked your voice when it was higher, but I like the variety. This song felt, full, rich I enjoyed that, I did feel some of the lyrics were, stretched. It seemed forced to get that last "inevitable" in. (-;

Deshead - wow.I love the female vocals. I loved the quality and feel of this song. I loved the lyrics. I pick this as a winner. If this were on an album I'd have picked it up already.

I can't think of anything constructive to say about the rest at the moment...so I've omitted them.

my top 3.
1- Deshead
2- Bewells
3- Eddiebangs

all 3 different styles....
nicegeoff
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aerosmith JR.

Post by nicegeoff »

Here’s are some ranked reviews (top 4 are keepers):

1. 15-16 Puzzle – This is a very, very well written song. The chords and transitions are so great. (The chord hits/accents on some choruses are especially nice!) My only complaint is that sometimes your voice sounds a little too nerdy, but it’s the best one here.

2. Ants Invisible – Well, no needing to explain why this one is so good…I just have a weakness for this kind of stuff.

3. Andre was here at Midnight: I like this. It sounds like drunken ramblings of a young homeless man. The doubletracked vocals really support the uneasy, schizophrenic feel. It’s even catchy…My only complaint is that it’s too long.

4. Max the Cat – Oh shit, these vocals are awesome! You sound like a wise woodland creature that would appear to me in a dream.

5. The Likely Lads: I love the spastic guitar hits, but I feel like the drumming doesn’t really live up to those standards…It kind of just chugs along. The song itself is okay…It just feels like it needs more things in it in order to attain my interest. I hated this song at the beginning, but by the end I didn’t.

6. Macher Lietchy – Alright. I hate the quality of your vocal recording…It sounds so dirty, like there are traces of digital artifacts or…I don’t know. I like when it sounds like it’s skipping and that lasts for a long time…

7. Lemonsongs – Kind of quiet. Everything is nice and drugged-out, though I can’t deal with the singing…It’s trying a little too hard.

8. State Shirt – I don’t know what to say about this. You obviously know what you’re doing, so…you know, keep it up!

9. Deshead: Pleasant, but pretty boring soft-rock.

10. Abecedarian: I like the instrumentation, and I kind of like how you cram in those lyrics at points…Though, the more I listen it sounds like a Jewel song or something.

11. Edge of L.A: I don’t know…Kind of cheesy, but catchy. The sound of the whole thing is pretty run-of-the-mill, though.

12. Scott Faris – The over long intro is just boring guitar noodling, with a nice crescendo….but then…WOAH! GUITAR GOD is here!!! TAKE MY LIFE! SERIOUSLY!!!

13. PigPen: You have a nice, lazy flow. The drum sounds kind of suck, though…And there aren’t enough changes in the beat or vocals to justify listening to this for more than two minutes.

14. Bewells – This is hilarious…Like, Bobby Goldsboro style.

15. Bellgreen – The most interesting thing about this is that cool keyboard sound…What is that? Like bells? I don’t know…It’s nice.

16. Hostess Mostess: I can’t get behind this. The drum rhythm is interesting, but the sounds are just so generic. I kind of get the bland modern rock feeling from the entire track, actually…though the little “breakdown” is the exception. That’s pretty nice.

17. EddieBangs – The harmonies on “she fell out of the sky” are really good, but I can’t stand listening to these type of “funky” chord progressions, though the falsetto is awesome.

18. MotorMonkeys – Hahaha. The guitar is pretty funny on this…I don’t know…This is too nu-metal rap-rock to be taken seriously.

5 out of 19 songs had fade-outs.
make love, not music
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

reviews you can use

15-16 puzznic
cool chord proggression - but seems like a one take throwaway. simple, whatever. no good.

abec
drums are dull and guitar work needs some umph. the jack johnson with a broke 808 thing isnt working.

andre @ 12pm
do you people ever get tired of JUST acoustic guitar? im not reviewing a single more acoustic song with someone just whining the title. worst.

ants (invisible)
i was a little confused at first - but then i listened to your other stuff. haha, i like. so maniac insane it has to be right. original.

bell green
definately well planned and laced together. voxs go off a little bit near the end, but im sure id be feeling this song if i was in the right mood.

bewells
haha the vocals sound like gandalf singing religious hymns. i guess thats cool if you rock it correctly. unfortunately this song does not rock at all. it does however paint a picture in your head of right before you are about to fall asleep from nyquil.

car cle sin
good old ccs. intro has things going good. take note other songfighters. this song has "ACTION". you might have heard of it. well done possible vote.

deshead
beautiful voice but i dont really get into this type of somber soothing relationship pondering songs. ive tried to get into them, but just cant.

eddiebangs
awesome harmonizing. anthony keidis and freddie mercury had a baby and here it is. reminds me of lucy in the sky but yeah... good song. wah solo is weak.

edge of LA
good but just not original.

hostess mostess
cool song, but way long. i guess that really doesnt matter, but for this type of format - i think it could have benefitted by skipping the second verse.

lemon songs
had to turn my volume way up and even then couldnt understand you or feel involved with song due to the song being made by someone who is probably really really tired and apathetic.

likely lads
too raw. guitars needs work in the mix and drums need variation.

macher liechty
after a long hiatus i came back with this. quick, to the point, snappy.

max the meow
you are siamese if you please. reminds me of this song by clouddead except without rhyming. interesting for one listen - thats all

motor monkeys
distortobass and drum production is cool. vocals would be good but you mike pattonning too much. stick to whats natural. british beastie boy doesnt work.

pigpen
vocals are way to loud in the mix. fix that. flow is kinda lame. need variation for chorus.

scott faris
cool instrumental lament-then-rockout. i really like that melody. duh duh duh duh duh duh daaah doooo. try to avoid a fade out.

state shirt
atmospheric intro works well with the high tempo drums. bass sounds a little loud - almost taking away from vocals (which are kinda off on some parts). too much U2 in this song to be original though. not digging the sustained "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" on the drum breakdown.

there it is.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Here's some reviews:

abecedarian: ooooh, I don't like metalyrics. I don't think it's possible to make a song about writing a song that I will like. This is not bad, it's got a very low-key "Stay Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry feel going on here. The opening lyrics aside, this is kind of nice as background music, but I wish it had more parts to it and I wish that it didn't just fade away.

Andre was here at midnight: jeeezus, this is really horrible. Seriously, what is the point to a two chord improv jam? I'm sure that 5 posts down someone will praise this song as holy awesomeness, but they are wrong. This is meandering badness.

Ants Invisible: Ummm, okay Jim. This might be something if you made it into a respectable song, but it's too blurby and feels incomplete. It's an intro and an outro, both of which are entertaining, but the song is missing from inbetween them. Wish you'd written it. This isn't bad, but I don't caer for it.

Bell Green: This is okay enough, but the melody is too droll for the singer's voice. If there was a more interesting melody that would better make up for the drollness of the singer's tone. Or, conversely, if there was a stronger singer, the melody would sound more interesting to listen to. But the combination like this just isn't working for me. I don't caer for this song.

Bewells: Oh dear, I really hate this singer and the lyrics too. It sounds like you're wearing a turtleneck and going to smoke a pipe after you're done recording songs while sitting on stools. And the lyrics are too "Cats in the Cradle" aw-shucks, awkward phrasing and good feelings. This song really rubs me the wrong way. You could shave a minute off of this song and it wouldn't be any worse for it.

Carol Cleveland Sings: Hmmmm, I like this overall. But the melody is a bit too rambly for my tastes for me; it makes it hard for me to get behind when I can't get a feeling for the directions that it's heading in. I like the feel of this and especially the parts where everything drops out except for voice and guitar. Oh, what does that part remind me of? Something, but I can't put my finger on it. That's a good sign, I think. This song is cute.

Deshead: This is nice, I suppose, but it's boring as all get out. If the vocals were sung with more conviction, and if the lyrics were of more import, that might help. They kind of fade into the background and make it easy to ignore. This isn't doing anything for me.

Eddie Bangs: Hmmm, this is okay. I'd like a different singer, maybe a female on the verse parts, the melody jumping around is cool, but I just don't like the way it sounds with this singer. Ahh, the acapella part is cool. This is very nicely recorded. This song is okay by me.

Edge of LA: Oh, what's the band with that song "100 Dollar Bills"... Dramarama! This song reminds me alot of that song, except that song had a catchy chorus. The verses here kind of drive along, and then you need to have a really killer chorus, but the chorus here sounds way too much like the verses, and it all blurs into each other until it's just one big indistinguishableness. This is okay, but not doing anything for me.

Hostess Mostess: Man, this is a cool little thing. I wish it had better drums or a real drummer, they pull me out of the groove, they sound so staid and metered it makes it feel less funky than it should. I'm a sucker for songs in weird times that manage to conceal that fact, so yay for you and this song.

Lemon Songs: Okay, this is one big long intro to a song that never happens. I'm not getting into this. It's too much of a two-chord jam, and the whispering vocals just annoy me. I do not like this song.

Likely Lads: Verses reminds me of the Lucksmiths, who I hate for their boringness. Gawd, these verses are so boring in their "play this part 4 times" playing-by-the-rules manner. Which is a shame, because the chorus is very rocking. Unfortunately, while an awesome chorus normally will salvage a below-average verse, this verse and chorus really don't sound like they belong in the same song. If you copied the verse into another song, I would probably like that song. I do not like this song.

Macher Leichty: Okay, hurry up and start. This is not bad, but the lofi-nature doesn't work well against the lame bass sample. It's kind of repetitive instead of funky, and the lyrics kind of muffle into the background where it's kind of easy to stop paying attention. This seems like it would be fun, the rhymes are kind of cool, but it's too hard to make them out throughout the song. And there's no real chorus, so it all kind of blurs together. This song is okay, but I wanted to like it more than I could.

Max the Cat: Oh dear, those keyboards are invoking a dangerous reaction in me, they are very reminiscent of some sort of retro-futuristic feel-good Romper-Room style show I used to watch as a child, with disembodied voiceovers that would give me the creeps. The singer is freaking me out, it's like Bjork imitating Macy Gray. This is just too weird for me. I cannot get behind this song.

Motor Monkeys: Okay, this is not bad. Until the voice starts in. He sounds not at all threatening or in any way disturbing and it pulls me out of the song; the longer he raps, the more he falls into a very Seussian rhythm that makes me want for hear something like "I meant what I said, I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%". The song is fine, the singing is not. I do not care for this song.

Pigpen: You sound bored, and it makes me not want to pay attention. The beat and the bassline are too repetitive and boring. I don't care for this song.

Scott Faris: This is cool as background music. Ooooh, cool switch in the feel of the song. I really like that. I think that really sells the song for me, either part along is kind of okay, but together they seem pretty cool. This song is okay by me.

State Shirt: This sounds like it could be a cover of a Killers song, or maybe even a Pet Shop Boys song. This is pretty cool. I like it.

There you have it TA-DA
13hugh
A New Player

Post by 13hugh »

Lemons by name...
Hey I'm happy not to be slated, too much. I cant describe how much I hate singing to record. My first real attempt at putting a song together on the 'puter. Trying too hard on the singing: every take just sounded bad, the one I used I did hiding under my desk to keep the volume down ;)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

ehhh last night got really sick and forgot to send my entry in... i'll put it up somewhere if anyone wants to check it out... i personally wasn't real happy with the vox... so i guess it wasn't too big a deal... i'll give reviews later... right now the room is spinning
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Jordan
A New Player

Post by Jordan »

Okay, I missed the deadline. This would have been my entry:
http://www.somesongs.com/song_info.php?select=3282

I'd love your feedback.

-Yaruss
My website. Now with 10% more gumption. That's a whole slightly lot!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

This is the inauguration of the homemade mandolin in my track, and the first time I've ever actually really played a mandolin, so I'm particularly interested in reviews on that bit this week.

leichty - broke 808? I didn't catch the ref. (it might help if I listened to jack johnson perhaps)

15-16 - yeah I agree with the whole aversion to 'meta' believe it or not. I'll probably rewrite the opening later.

reviews to come...
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

abecedarian wrote:leichty - broke 808? I didn't catch the ref.
well an 808 is a popular drum machine
your drum tracks seemed to be the same loop over and over.
broken!

jack johnson has the same wilting vox+guitar mesh.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

My reviews. Looking over them after writing as I listen, these seem a lot harsher than the fight deserves. I didn't really dislike many of them. I just didn't get a frot-on for many, either ....

Liechty - not bad. Did you slow down your vocal? Needs more of a 'chorus' to really work as a Fresh Prince parody. Still, production is good and overall I liked it.

The Likely Lads - Someone owns The Ordinary Boys album, yes? I'd rather my punk to be a bit more adventurous, oh and not have a lyric about how bad drugs are, unless you're actually on them regularly, which I kind of sense you're not. But not a bad pastiche.

EB - Can't get this to play. Will try later, Eddie.

15-16 Puzzle - I like your general wordiness and ear for a toon. however, for some reason, parts of the chord progession remind me of something, maybe it's a Matthew Sweet song or something, but it's bugging me. I'll come back to you on that one if I remember it.

Motor Monkies - absolutely loving it for the synth bass and crazy guitarness fills. The lyric is clearly nonsense. I hear a Pompeii influence or rather you are sharing a certain influence that I do not know. The chorus is a little weak, tho'.

HM - mibble? Nice backing voxs going on there. The lyric is a bit hmmmmm. 'You! Shot from a gun!' sounds a bit strange. Great production, song a little MORish to be moorish for me.

Scott Faris - Instrumental = bad. Marvel at my fretwank = bad. Extremly long and slow fade-out = bad. Everything else I like :) You can play, man. Perhaps the various layers could be seperated in the mix further so I could enjoy them individually rather than just 'as one'. Hmmm, well, enjoy might not be the right word .... :)

AntsInvisible - if you don't take it seriously, how can you expect me to take you seriously? Smug.

Edge of LA - I can't make the words out very easily until about 1.30. Nice tune. Not a big fan of the 'big live' production sound. Is that a drum machine? Sounds like one, or rather sounds out of place in the mix. But nicely done. Oh yes, it definitely is a drum machine. That 'shaker' sound gives it away. (apologies to yr dummer if I'm wrong).

CCS - Junior, stop playing with the volume control! *spank* No, that's pretty tremendous. Short song, short review.

AWHAM - I like the feel of this but the guitar is too loud in relation to the vocal and the point is made by 0:52 - but i do like the anger therein.

Bell Green - Oasis B-Side. Which is no insult in itself. I am just never convinced that any of yorus ongs (that I have heard) are in any way personal. Probably my hang-up ...

Lemonsongs - there's soemthing about this I like. Starts out like an E-Z listening version of 'California Uber Alles'. Like the bongos, and some of the background noise actually adds to the ambience.

State Shirt - Got a nice 80s feel to it. Very good. All your songs (that I've heard - maybe 1/2 dozen) seem to be very full production wise - lots going on and springing about - which isn't an entirely good thing. I'd like to hear State Shirt Unplugged just to be sure it's not all in the production. Just a nagging suspicion.

The BeWells - Ugh! Eldritch fronting Uriah Heep. If you don't take it seriously, how can you expect me to take you seriously? Smug.

Deshead - The Music has a feel of Dolly's 'Butterfly' but the vocal would be better suited to Joan Baez singing 'Puff the Magic Dragon'. I mean it's a really good voice, but it's just not suited to country, nu- or otherwise.

ABCDarian - I like your voice. But this is a little bit too self-aware / post modern / taking a lot of effort to sound effortless for my tastes.

PIGPEN - Here we go ... i still think you're trying hard to be [insert rapper you are inspired by here] rather than find your own voice. Not enough variety musically, which puts huge emphasis on the rap and to be honest, I don't think you're the wordsmith you obviously think you are. I would probably give this an [okay] on Somesongs, as it's not bad. It's just not that good either.

Max the Cat - Aak! Novelty! That's when I reach for my (figurative) revolver. Needs a load more variety musically to carry this out of the realms of larking about, and into the realms of truly eccentric, imo.

I shall be interested to see the battle between State Shirt and CCS as the 'course favourites' but my vote is probably leaning towards 15-16 Puzzle, or just to be contrary and because I liked the song, lemonsongs....

Bwa-ha. Ha. Ha.

j$
Eddiebangs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Vegas 8, Cubasex3, Delta 1010, Wavelab etc...
Submitting as: Eddiebangs, Big Seed DNA

Post by Eddiebangs »

On first listen, two favorites- State Shirt & Hostess Mostess. Some others were really good too, but I liked these two best. I will do full reviews later...
Be my friend
or you suck
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Nice fight... good listen as I restring the guitar... Stateshirt stood out for me... I liked that one! Granted, it reminds me of something you'd hear on a WB soundtrack, but still, nice work. Eddie bangs wouldn't play for some reason... and two others, (while streaming)... the other two played on a click on the main page but no eddie... ?? IT says "The input media form is invalid." Never had this happen before (windows media player...) anyway, hope I can hear it...
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

eddie bangs plays for me in quicktime.
Hi!
Eddiebangs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Vegas 8, Cubasex3, Delta 1010, Wavelab etc...
Submitting as: Eddiebangs, Big Seed DNA

Post by Eddiebangs »

My songs will play in Real Player, Quicktime, and Win Amp. I believe it is an id3 tag which causes the problem with windows media player, and I am not going to change my tags for their lame, outdated player. (snob that I am) :) I believe Glenn Case found some way around the problem, but I don't remeber what he did.
Be my friend
or you suck
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Nice topic, heh. This is my first art submission, whee! Completely tied up musically learning how to play and sing at the same time for the SFLA show, so art'll be my, ahem, contribution to the site for the time being. Rock, y'all!
I like it. I had a good idea for Fell Out Of the Sky cover art, but I wasn't able to get it done in time (i.e., set up the photo I needed).

Does this mean we'll be competing for Red covers from this day on? I wonder if/when we'll be going back to to three fights.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke.
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

I wrote a really good song (I think) for this fight, but I never got a chance to record it since I was on vacation (I know, boo hoo), but I might try at some point.

Maybe I'll review this week's songs to make up for my failiure to review last week's (for the same reason I mentioned before).
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Gemini6Ice wrote:I like it. I had a good idea for Fell Out Of the Sky cover art, but I wasn't able to get it done in time (i.e., set up the photo I needed).

Does this mean we'll be competing for Red covers from this day on? I wonder if/when we'll be going back to to three fights.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke.
Hey, thanks :lol: Looks like the informal ArtFights are on, yo. Game on!

Nice reference, heh.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

I didn't find time to do reviews last week, so this time I'm sitting down early to give them all a closer listen. Here are my comments after going through a couple of listens.

15-16 Puzzle - The transition from intro to verse is somewhat awkward. The song could use more instrumentation to fill out the sound. Otherwise, I like the chording and lyrics.

Abecedarian - This has a good sparce mellow feel to it. The rhythm is too repetitive. I like the mandolin sound...it has a loose feel that works nicely with that type of picking. I did find the panned left and right parts to be slightly distracting at times as they would flow together and then verge off into different parts. Overall, the song sounds nice, but everything could be tightened up a bit.

Andre Was Here at Midnight - I cannot really get all the way through this one. I would prefer a little more structure to the song, but that might be hard to do when going for the improvised, one-take thing. Otherwise, some extra instrumentation to fill out the sound could be good.

Ants (Invisible) - I've been enjoying these little snippets...it's nice to get a little more this time around. It's still short but I like the piano, rhythm and vocal style.

Bell Green - I generally like this song. A little percussion or something to add a bit more rhythm would be nice. I would also prefer a bit stronger vocal delivery, but the sad, downbeat style kind of works with the feeling on this song.

Carol Cleveland Sings - This is well done. Nice variation on the instrumentation, rhythms, and volume. This is another interesting tune...I've been a fan of this style since hearing my first CCS song a little over a month ago. Sounds great.

Deshead - This is a beautiful song. The female vocal is great and it's complimented wonderfully by your harmonies. The instrumentation sounds the way it should. Nothing stands out that I would like to hear differently. Great guitar sound through with a nice decending lead guitar line when that pops in...nice arrangement and instrumentation choices.

Eddiebangs - There's a nice groove on this song. The vocals sound good and the harmonies are nice and tight. The guitar sound on the solo parts does sound a little too thin, but otherwise the instrumentation sounds good to me.

Edge of LA - The electric guitar sounds a bit too muddy, a bit more edge to the sound would help it stand out more. The vocals harmonies could also be a little tighter. The general sound of the song seems alright and would come across a little better with things cleaned up some.

Hostess Mostess - Nice vocal work. That meter (7/8?) keeps things interesting even if the rhythm is overly simple...it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard be different. I like the way the instrumentation builds and then drops back to an emptier sound. Great song, I love this one.

Lemon Songs - The song is simply too quiet to hear things clearly. Sounds like a nice idea, but the exotic rhythm and accompaniment run on a bit long without much variation. It's a good start but the song needs to be developed a bit more.

The Likely Lads - Great feel with the guitar in the opening. The lead vocal feels slightly off but it grew on me as the song progressed. The harmony vocals, however, could stand to be tightened up. Otherwise, this one turned out alright.

Macher Liechty - The pitch shifted vocal is a little grating. I'm not into the rapping thing, so I cannot comment much on the delivery. There are some nice sounds in the background. The main accompaniment part that goes on through the song gets old and it could use some more variation to break things up partway through.

Max the Cat - I feel like I shouldn't like this, but everytime I listen I can't help but laugh. This is a fun song. I love that sound effect followed by the "wow"...so weird and understated with all the descriptions. This is lovely and twisted. I love it...great fun.

Motor Monkeys - This is quite the aural assault, but I find myself liking it. It's all so big and wild. The vocal deliveries could be cleaned up a bit, but I'm not sure you'd want it to be too clean and precise. It's not quite in a style that I'm into, but this is somewhat fun.

PiGPEN - While I like the flow of this one, it could use some variation in parts to keep it interesting.

Scott Faris - Nice guitar sounds with a rich texture. Since this is an instrumental, the first part could be played more precisely. The little timing issues detract slightly from the nice harmonies. Otherwise, it builds nicely before tailing off and leading into that all too abrupt and lengthy pause. I like the stronger sound in the second part. This sounds much cleaner and also has some good harmony parts. Overall, this is a lovely sound and the mood fits well with the song title, but it seems to lack enough development to be a full-blown song...great sound nonetheless.

State Shirt - The opening could use a bit more definition, it sounds a little too washed out. The balance of the backing seems a little too strong (cannot tell if it's supposed to sound a bit distorted) against the vocals. That said, I love the general sound and especially the vocal delivery. This has a great chorus. Something feels a bit off with the vocal/instrumental part (starting around 2:53)...like the reverb on the vocal doesn't match the earlier parts. This all starts to feel a little long, but the general sound of the song is great.

(Missed the fight but I grabbed the file...)
Jordan - The guitar is a bit repetitive. This has a nice upbeat, poppy tone, but the rhyming in the lyrics seems somewhat obvious or singsongy in the delivery. Otherwise, this has a catchy sound and I like the change to the piano part...nice melody there that plays well with the sounds of the words.

And I might as well finish this off by giving a little background behind my effort this week.
The BeWells - I wasn't going to do a song last week but decided on Sunday morning to go ahead and give it a try. My last song was rather mellow so I wanted to try something a little more upbeat. I decided to instrumentally try to hit something closer to a 60's sound, which brought to mind one of the extra songs, "Children of the Sun," on the "A Mighty Wind" DVD. I watched that clip again and that was basically the inspiration for the sound I went after, including the vocal delivery. I left myself less than a day to finish the lyrics and record the song, so there are many things I would have liked to clean up. I had a feeling the vocal style wouldn't quite fly here, but it was an idea I had to experiment with to get it out of my system...and it gave me good excuse to pull out the Rickenbacker. My apologies for throwing in that repeat of the chorus at the end...that was the first thing I would have chopped off if I had left myself time to do it cleanly. I've found that if you listen to the song on repeat about 25 times it starts to sound pretty good. I guess I'll hold off on pulling out the Jim Nabors albums as inspiration for the next song.

At this point I am trying to decide between Deshead and Hostess Mostess for my vote. There were some great songs this week...good fight.
Last edited by bwell on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.