Ooch Ouch, Skip, Bump, Smack. Prefight Now. Blammo.

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: Ooch Ouch, Skip, Bump, Smack. Prefight Now. Blammo.

Post by nyjm »

I'm so very in, just need to give the mix a fresh listen in the morning. Trying out a new Master/Limiter. Love the bump in volume, just have to tweak the input so the final product sounds right...

Edit: With a new, new master compressor/limiter I am much happier. I'm 100% in - and actually quite proud of this one, FWIW.
Last edited by nyjm on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

i'm in yo...

"Ace" and "Scuby G" gonna be layin it down for me this week.

and in advance... i'm very... very... sorry.

i want to emphasize that the song is in good fun...
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
oddbod
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboards, Uke, Melodica, Harmonica
Recording Method: Sonar 5
Submitting as: Panna Cotta Army

Post by oddbod »

It's been a little while since I last submitted but I managed to scrape together some workaday lyrics - the tune I'm more pleased with but then that's not necessarily counted for very much previously. :wink:
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'm in, but totally unhappy. The good news is that I'm getting lots of overtime and making the cash.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

I'm in (song uploading now). Couldn't get a full band, but I did try to double the vocals. PLUS I recorded the guitar "live" (instead of plugged in). Still a demo, but maybe with more of a "live" feel. Hope someone digs it. Also tried playing guitar a bit cleaner for less fret buzz. I know I know... get a new guitar. Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs. Insert more excuses here please. :P
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Wages wrote:I'm in (song uploading now). Couldn't get a full band, but I did try to double the vocals. PLUS I recorded the guitar "live" (instead of plugged in). Still a demo, but maybe with more of a "live" feel. Hope someone digs it. Also tried playing guitar a bit cleaner for less fret buzz. I know I know... get a new guitar. Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs. Insert more excuses here please. :P
Usually I would record my guitar with direct input and then pipe it back out an amp if I wanted to "record live" that way you have both signals to mix together how you see fit... or maybe you're speaking of an acoustic? Either way I'd probably have recorded direct input and mic'd at the same time on an acoustic.

Anyways... uh... Chthonic Youth is in... or we should be... ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

Wages wrote:Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs. Insert more excuses here please. :P
hey, if you've got enough money to buy a house/condo you should have enough cash laying around to buy new gear pretty soon (since you're no longer saving for a down payment).... unless you budgeted as one would before the housing bubble broke.

congrats on the new digs!
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Lucky Spoon wrote:
Wages wrote:Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs. Insert more excuses here please. :P
hey, if you've got enough money to buy a house/condo you should have enough cash laying around to buy new gear pretty soon (since you're no longer saving for a down payment).... unless you budgeted as one would before the housing bubble broke.

congrats on the new digs!
Thanks! I will be re-building my savings after this purchase for a few months, then I have to focus on paying off a credit card before I can justify more gear. In the meantime, I've been saving literally every penny, nickel, dime, and quarter towards a zero-latency sound card. I've got about $160 in small change. Another $40 and sound card, here I come!

Of course, if the old acoustic were to fall prey to a "mishap", I could probably get that Taylor I've been wanting even if it isn't part of the budget....
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
canonicalman
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Groovebox505; Zoom R16, Reaper, Lots of cursing at technology
Submitting as: Canonical Man

Post by canonicalman »

Wages wrote:I know I know... get a new guitar. Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs.
Grats! That is a big step. My experiences indicate you always should have 2% of the house value on hand for problems, so maybe hold off on the Taylor for now. :-( A few houses I have lived in I have spent as much as 10% of the house value during the first year. (But hopefully you have newer houses out where you live) Be sure to keep receipts since repairs/renovations are deductible when you sell.

As for recording, I have recorded many a song on a friend's borrowed guitar. So check if you can borrow one for recording. Hell, get your friend to drop in and give you his/her opinion as well. A second set of ears is great to determine what is working or not. You don't have to take their advice, but they may have ideas that help. Plus it is fun to have friends over.

Good luck in all regards!
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

canonicalman wrote:
Wages wrote:I know I know... get a new guitar. Hard to do when all my cash is going towards appraisals and closing costs.
Grats! That is a big step. My experiences indicate you always should have 2% of the house value on hand for problems, so maybe hold off on the Taylor for now. :-( A few houses I have lived in I have spent as much as 10% of the house value during the first year. (But hopefully you have newer houses out where you live) Be sure to keep receipts since repairs/renovations are deductible when you sell.

As for recording, I have recorded many a song on a friend's borrowed guitar. So check if you can borrow one for recording. Hell, get your friend to drop in and give you his/her opinion as well. A second set of ears is great to determine what is working or not. You don't have to take their advice, but they may have ideas that help. Plus it is fun to have friends over.
Thanks! Yep, that's the very reason I can't get a new guitar. Damned responsibility!

I'd love to borrow a guitar, but unfortunately, fate has dealt a fickle hand.... I'm left handed and can't play a righty, and I don't know anyone who plays left 'round here. :(
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Wages wrote:Damned responsibility!
Cancel internet for a few months!
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
Wages wrote:Damned responsibility!
Cancel internet for a few months!
Sacrilege!