...Step Back From That Ledge, My Friend (WYW Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

...Step Back From That Ledge, My Friend (WYW Reviews)

Post by Niveous »

If you got that reference, congratulations- the 90's did horrible things to you.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
LibraryDogs
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, vocals, mandolin, bass
Recording Method: Reaper, hacked mBox, mics, various midi implements
Submitting as: Nobody, et al.; Somebody by Himself; Somebody Named Seth; The Library Dogs
Pronouns: He

Re: ...Step Back From That Ledge, My Friend (WYW Reviews)

Post by LibraryDogs »

I love that song... :mrgreen:
“We may be in the Universe as dogs and cats are in our libraries, seeing the books and hearing the conversation, but having no inkling of the meaning of it all.”
― William James
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Thankee, Spud. :)
Last edited by blue on Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

All right. I couldn't remember how to put them in as late entries, so Johnny Cashpoint and sonofsupercar have been added to the fight.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Wood things with P-90's
Recording Method: Lang-O-Tron 3.2.4
Submitting as: sonofsupercar

Post by Mr. Car »

Thank you Mr. Spud.
As a penalty I shall not vote for us this week.
sonofsupercar, Kindly Swears, Bang Operator, Turtle Boy
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

I really wish you would all post your lyrics.

Thank you in advance.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Spud wrote:All right. I couldn't remember how to put them in as late entries, so Johnny Cashpoint and sonofsupercar have been added to the fight.

SPUD
Thank you, sir!
mrbeany
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: none
Recording Method: LMMS and Audacity
Submitting as: Mr. Beany's Bitty Band; "Mr. Beany, <something-somethings>"

Post by mrbeany »

MC Big C: Homophobia? No thanks. As far as I know both my kids are gay, so I take offense.

G.U.N.S.: That was good, but depressing.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Definitely an interesting sound. Sort of reminds me of The Residents. I like The Residents. Vote.

Styop Quoons: Short and strange. I didn't understand the words at all. After the first listening leaning strongly toward vote. After a second listen I'm no closer to understanding the words and I've confirmed they're not posted. Still, I like strange. Vote.

Berkeley Social Scene: I consistently enjoy your music. This one is a little depressing.

Paco del Stinko: I also consistently enjoy your music.

sonofsupercar: I got a minute in to it before I realized that wasn't just random rambling leading up to singing. It's not you, it's me. I've some hearing loss.

Elly Lane & the Janglin' Jims: The track seemed a little quiet as a whole, and the vocal track seemed too soft. I tried to normalize it thinking the whole thing was soft, only to find the whole track wasn't that quiet -- it's just the vocal mix.

Pigfarmer Jr.: A valiant effort. I expect you will beat me soundly.

Cornflake Brothers Band: Hey! I can clearly understand the words in this one! Lyrics that aren't depressing? Even better!

sausage: What's the word the young folks use? Hard rocking? Very metal? I could feel my hair growing longer as I listened to it.

Mr. Beany Bellows Balefully: Recorded live in front of my infant son. You don't hear him complaining in the background because he, at least, enjoyed it.

WreckdoM: You know if you managed to be both strange and authentic you would have definitely gotten a vote. I have a hard time thinking you'd honestly want anyone to do any of these things. And after reading the lyrics... Well, okay, I can honestly believe you'd want someone to do _some_ of these things, but very few.

Nobody, et al.: I like the sound. Definitely depressing, though.

Future Boy: Bad Pony? Is this some sort of Brony thing? I think my 10 month old might be a Brony. Vote. By the way, the only words I can reliably make out are "Bad Pony", "Wish You Would" and something about holes.

Tuners Union: It felt like the mix was a little off but I couldn't really place how. When I tried normalizing the track it was going to reduce the volume, since it seemed a little quiet already, this seemed to confirm the mix was off somewhere. It has an interesting sound. Overall I liked it.

noah mclaughlin: You play so many instruments so well. I also really liked the way it was mixed.

Johnny Cashpoint: Is that a harpsichord? It seemed a delightfully unusual choice.

After the first pass, there were a lot of really good songs. Since the move to multi-vote it feels like I've been handing out votes willy-nilly. Today, however, I felt like skewing the average toward the strange. I voted for: Brown Word and the Big Whine; Styop Quoons; Future Boy
Last edited by mrbeany on Wed May 23, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcbigc
A New Player
Submitting as: MC Big C

Post by mcbigc »

mrbeany wrote:MC Big C: Homophobia? No thanks. As far as I know both my kids are gay, so I take offense.
I'm not homophobic. Thank you.
EvelBist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: alienation disgust virtue
Recording Method: Reaper/Roland QuadCapture/AddictiveDrums
Submitting as: New Image, Sausage

Post by EvelBist »

mrbeany wrote:sausage: What's the word the young folks use? Hard rocking? Very metal? I could feel my hair growing longer as I listened to it.
Thanks - just gave me an idea for a new business. ;)
mrbeany
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mrbeany »

EvelBist wrote:
mrbeany wrote:sausage: What's the word the young folks use? Hard rocking? Very metal? I could feel my hair growing longer as I listened to it.
Thanks - just gave me an idea for a new business. ;)
I'm always happy to help. :)
MisterQuoons
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Armpit noises, loud yelps, mouse organ
Recording Method: kerosene-powered Edison phonograph
Submitting as: Elton John

Post by MisterQuoons »

Mr. Beany - saw your mention of unposted lyrics; they are posted now if it helps you. It's funny that you mentioned The Residents in your review of Brown Word's song, as I drew my inspiration for this particular song from The Residents' Commercial Album. I'm currently on vacation and haven't listened to anything yet. I'll probably give this fight a listen when I get back.
Crunchy frog. Tiny green beads. Sapphire bullets of pure poop. Available only from MUFFIN.
When in Rome, be sure to visit http://www.therealmuffin.net
mrbeany
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mrbeany »

MisterQuoons wrote:Mr. Beany - saw your mention of unposted lyrics; they are posted now if it helps you. It's funny that you mentioned The Residents in your review of Brown Word's song, as I drew my inspiration for this particular song from The Residents' Commercial Album. I'm currently on vacation and haven't listened to anything yet. I'll probably give this fight a listen when I get back.
Either because you mentioned it, or because of your lyrics, I totally see the likeness to the Commercial Album in your song now. I think had I seen the lyrics it would have been self-evident because the structure of the Commercial Album songs is rather uncommon.

In fact, it seems so obvious now. I think it may just be a sign of how long it has been since I listened to that album. I used to keep at least the 40 one minute songs in constant rotation in my MP3 player.

These days I don't listen to any music I can not freely share with my children and could not continue sharing with my children if I was only a part-time father and they primarily lived elsewhere. No one is going to buy a separate license because a child is only in a household on the weekends. The commercial music industry makes everyone thieves so I don't listen to any of their stuff anymore. It's my own personal RIAA boycott.

I expose my children to a lot of Song Fight music. My daughter (now 3) thinks there should be more songs about cats and dogs.
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums/Percussion/Guitar/Vox/Pedal Steel/synth
Recording Method: Reaper/ID44
Submitting as: Cody Walker Jr./Longfellow Street/Golden Echo
Pronouns: Private

Post by codywalkerjr »

Berkeley Social Scene Well written song, Well performed. Nice use of chords in the verses. Great way to bring in the guitar solos, Keeps it moving. Does seem to end abrubtly at the end of the solo. vote

Brown Word and the Big Whine Interesting use of (Keyboard)? The words seems to be well thought out. I was waiting for a climax that never came (No pun intended)

Cornflake Brothers Band Simple arrangement, performed with attitude. Lead guitarist hit a few sour notes, No big deal, Great place to put harmonies. Bass player has good feel, moving the tune along. Keyboard (On piano voice) is a bit cheesy. Id relly like to hear some dobro in this tune and a bit more percussion, like a shaker or something. Its funny because I was going to use the title the same way you did. i never got a chance to finish tracking my vocals though. vote

Elly Lane & the Janglin' Jims This is cool.The voices compliment themselves nicely. Keyboard part is really interesting. Good drum sound. Guitar sounds cool. i hear some faint buzzing in the track, is that a synth or a digeridoo? Well done song! nice build up to an appropriate ending. one of the best submissions this week in my opinion. vote

Future Boy This is interesting, but one thing I notice imeddiately is that there is 2 focal points, yur vocals are overshadowed by the synth in the beggining, short song great melody on vocals

G.U.N.S. Great submission by you guys. It seems that you guys have toned down some of the crazy instumental stuff, (not that it was bad, just took away from some other parts) this sounds more like a real song that any of your other submissions in my opinion. the guitarist is tasty, but i would like to hear it less. cool ending- i think ill give it a vote

Johnny Cashpoint interesting melody, time changes, seems to lose its flow at points, Well done but doesnt grab me.

MC Big C cool drum groove for the intro. This is comical sounding to me. Sounds thin . I couldnt listen to this on a normal day

Mr. Beany Bellows Balefully Yes, i think about these things often.

noah mclaughlin not enough distinction between the 2 vocal parts, since they are accenting eachother, maybe they should be panned a bit more? Not super crazy about thisone

Nobody, et al. I say this every week about your submissions, umm, Great production, sounds clear, Harmonies are spot on (Again) guitar playing is nice, melody makes me want to keep listening. great choice of lyrics. cool xylo part- vote

Paco del Stinko This is great. Ripping guitar solo, cool chord progressions. Vocals sound great. Actually, everything sounds great. good job. ote

Pigfarmer Jr cool chord progression, but it sounds naked. needs something, like a percussion instument. the lead guitar parts sound forced, not smooth

sausagethis is a lot different that your last weeks submission, which i really enjoyed. you have a unique voice, that i really like. does seem a bit muddy . gets a bit repetive.

sonofsupercar sounds very similar to last weeks submission. i liked last weeks better though, more ballsy. , Breakdown is interesting

styop quoons the drum samle you are using actually sounds like a real tom with a gate on it or something. weird song. Not that i dont apprecite it, but not the kind of stuff i particulary enjoy

Tuners Union this is well done. One of the best/the best this week, in my opinion. Sounds like a "Real' song. Your harmonies are spot on an well placed. has almost a reggae elctronic feel. Not my favorite styles but still, well done. Reminds me of 'Every little thing she does is magic' By the police -ote

WreckdoM Definaltely th most balls to the wall submission this week. vocals get lost a bit. had to turn it down very loud to get everything. defiantely a rocking tune

Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Future Boy – Although I feel the 8bit revival is played out it did not impede my enjoyment of this song. Neither the fact I can’t understand the lyrics, but if it’s important to you than you should know, I can’t make’em out mostly. A mellow, fun and tastefully brief listen. Vote

Son of Supercar – Not that every song has to be catchy or have a hook, but there’s just not a whole lot here to hang onto, it’s not memorable, and the final verdict when the song is over is “Is that it?” I like the individual parts more than the whole.

Cornflake Brothers Band – Downhomey. Nice lyric structure and use of the title. Good intuition on what should go where and when, especially the multi vocal touches. After two listens, I can’t see what I’d change or complain about. Vote

Tuners Union – Hmmm. Well, I don’t like it. I wouldn’t listen to this. It’s way too adult contemporary radio. Now, there isn’t really any cringe inducing aspects that make me hate its stinking guts, it’s well done, well constructed, I bet YOU like it, I’m sure others will. At its length it’s almost like the chorus of a longer song I still wouldn’t like for being too Muzaky. Actually if this were longer it’d likely have a soprano sax solo in it or something. So, thanks for not doing that.

Sausage – I like this immediately. But then, the vox. It’s not bad but you’re missing authenticity with the whole 80’s metal front man. You’re hitting a weird note, especially in the chorus. In the second half you’re revisiting this sour experience too many times, and overestimating the song’s staying power. This should’ve been smash and grab. You went from potentially cool to annoying.

Nobody, et al. – Excellent restraint on display here, a quiet emotional quality that never gets carried away with itself. You go folky, sensitive guytar with me and it’s an uphill battle but this won me over. It’s attention grabbing in it’s genuineness. Vote.

MC Big C – OK, just to get it out of the way, the line “sound like you love dick and anus” is totally mean, it’s not a matter of me or someone else interpreting it as homophobic, it just is. I understand if it wasn’t intentional, and it’s nice to know you don’t want to be thought of that way, just maybe think twice about what you’re saying even if it means surrendering a clever rhyme. There is nothing derogatory about a man loving dick and anus. Now in regards to the song. It’s alright. You do have some clever and well delivered rhymes. Back track not particularly inspired, and without any change ups it gets grating. Next time get as high when you structure your beats as you do when you write your lyrics.

styop quoons – Weird voice rule #1: It ceases to be a good idea when all intelligibility gets lost. All the same I like this a lot. Charming, bizarre, and fun. Vote

Mr. Beany Bellows Balefully – Someone get this man a ukulele.

Johnny Cashpoint – You ever see that Saturday Night Live skit where the singing duo hasn’t actually prepared any songs so they just try to wing it? That’s what this song reminds me of, cause it seems in several parts like the singing is going to trail off from the band or vice versa. Yeah, I just don’t like it. It’s like you’re lecturing instead of singing. It never gels.

Berkeley Social Scene – The burden and bourbon lyrical turn is great. I like the guitar solos a lot. The rest doesn’t get me for fundamental reasons. The pace and the feel of the song is just meh. Competently executed but uninteresting.

Pigfarmer Jr. – Sometimes a voice will sound good naked, but not here, you’d benefit from an effect, even a subtle one, or doubling. There are way, way too many verses here before a chorus, and then the chorus is way too similar to the verses. This song doesn’t approach grating, it full on dry humps it on the couch.

Noah McLaughlin – The commanding sound of someone who knows how to produce and master a song in a week. There isn’t one specific thing that stands out to me but it’s a good listen. Some great lyrical moments. I like the way the two voices interact throughout the song. Vote

Elly Lane & The Janglin’ Jims – Aw man, I’m getting to that point where I’m running out of stuff to say. Like I just want to go “it’s pretty. I like pretty” But I won’t. So here goes. Your song is catchy. I like catchy.No, ok. It’s an enjoyable listen. I love those affected vocals at the 2:10 mark and all the deliciousness that follows. Great vocal delivery throughout. Drags a little here and there, but overall good stuff. Vote

Brown Word and the Big Whine – Another song I like immediately. Great unsettling feel to it, creepy but also very groovy. Kinda the dark side of new wave, it isn’t goth but they’d still sway to it at the club. I really like the vocal delivery and the effects, up front at first then echoey rodioy, nice! I love the vibe. Well structured with some great lyrical moments. Vote

G.U.N.S – Musically it’s fun but also almost too cheesy. Really comes close. I like the unexpected, off-kilter echoed call and response. I’m not wild about the vocal delivery, the echoes save it. And now what’s happening? Noodling? You know what, you just got too cheesy. Oh yeah. Cheese and noodles, except not so tasty.

Paco Del Stinky – It’s so unsettling when you’re manic, nerdy voice talks about the sexy. Just trying to picture this guy getting’ busy hurts my brain. Clever lyrics, fast paced, head bobbing fun. Vote.

WreckdoM – Mmm, pickles.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
mcbigc
A New Player
Submitting as: MC Big C

Post by mcbigc »

WreckdoM:
Thank you for understanding that it wasnt intentional. The line was referring to me because I have often been asked if I'm gay. I realize in hindsight that being that explicit may make people uncomfortable and truthfully it felt weird writing and recording it but it made me giggle so i left it in. Didn't mean to hurt feelings so i'll start being more careful.
And i think once i graduate from just using garageband loops it'll take on a more interesting and less repetitious sound. Thank you for the complements on the rhymes!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Johnny Cashpoint – You ever see that Saturday Night Live skit where the singing duo hasn’t actually prepared any songs so they just try to wing it?
No, I haven't, but thanks for the reference point.

Fluxus, darling ...
mrbeany
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mrbeany »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: Mr. Beany Bellows Balefully – Someone get this man a ukulele.
Maybe that's what I need... a ukulele... They're portable. They're probably affordable considering some of the other options...

I suppose even if I only learned three chords it would still be better, right?

I do want to try a song consisting of loops of my picking things up and dropping them on the floor with my mouth. (Considering my existing entries I might even get more votes!) I think BLT recommended that as an option I could do even if I was in a tragic car accident and lost my arms and legs. Though considering my lack of existing foot dexterity I think I'd be resorting to that even if I still had my legs...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

WAIL. IAAC.

BSS – singing is a bit ropey – no actually that’s unfair, it’ a bit flat atmospherically rather than tonally, but it’s not bad, by any means. The harmonies are nice but maybe overpowering the main vocal a tad? The blend seems not to do favours to either. Lovely solo. Basically, it’s too slow for me personally. I think that’s my only real stumbling block. Not that it would necessarily be improved by playing it faster (though what wouldn’t, now I think of it?) Chorus sounds to me like “Share your burning with her” which is a very different song from “Bourbon”!

Brown Word Big Whine – I get that Residents comparison. Would fit right onto The Commercial Album (if it was half the length, obvi) – you make a fair point, lyrically, though it doesn’t really engage me longterm - I’ve agreed with you after the second line, and it doesn’t go anywhere from there? Sounds good though.

Cornflake Brothers Band – I had high hopes for this song based on your band name. But it’s all a bit “been there, done it” – that chord progression on the rhythm, the bluesy lead, the alt-country vocals. Very done at 2.00-ish. The words pass me by. It’s very well done, and of a style, but it doesn’t reach across the genre, for me.

Elly Lane et al. Vocals are mixed quietly. Love the keyboard and in fact all the music, where I can make out the distinction. This is a really good pop song. Can’t really make out the words, though. However I love the overall feel, so I’m giving this a VOTE even though it’s about 30 seconds. If the mix was clearer it would score more highly.

Future Boy – ooh weird electro-glitter-stomp start! I’m not sure that main riff is strong enough to be that loud in the mix, but this is beautiful and doesn’t outstay its welcome at all. Great false stop. VOTE.

GUNS – hmmm, I am not a fan of the summery jazz funk mood. The well-played lead is a little loud (or the bass is a little quiet), feels a little indulgent and is not really doing the (good) lyric any favours. I keep hoping it’s going to go off on a different tack but it doesn’t. Sorry, not much else to say for this one. Right at the end there some “shreddy” guitar that threatens to turn into “sonic cathedral of sound” time and I am excited, then it ends ... *bah!*

Johnny Cashpoint – that’ll be me. Inspired by a) the announced plot device in the latest Dark Knight movie where Batman has been “out of action” for 8 years, b) The “Significant Tempo Change” challenge from Nur Ein 7.4 c) Chocolate Chips’ “Three Harpsichords and a Drum Machine”and d)my recording lap-top blowing up and having to start my recording processes from scratch with new hardware / software and the dreadful Windows 7 o/s

McB – What is it with this title and the jazz mood? Anyway, I do like cocks and anuses and I don’t like this. I actually don’t take offense at the homophobia (which it is, regardless of your intention, as explained – and if you have to explain a song, you already failed, in my book) as much as I do “bitches” and - far more importantly - the enormous number of predictable, lazy rhymes, when the song claims they’re “fat”. Musically and “flow” wise it’s OK, but nothing special. It’s about the right length, mind.

Mr Beany – Um, yeah. Obviously it’s a list “song”, and not much of a song, at that, but I do find this charming. A nice loop-y Residents backing track might help this out. In fact, on first listen I was tempted to do just that, and post it as yr review  Seriously, a collab on SF is not out the question – there’s even a thread for it. There’s not much else I can say except that I could only get 25 seconds in on second listen.

NYJM – Oh that piano brings some not entirely welcome Springsteen rockband tinge into this (do I mean Springsteen – no, I am thinking of someone specific and it will come to me) – this is a good song, and the chorus, so simple, is very catchy. Whether or not I vote for it will depend on whether I can nail that comparision and come to terms with it. I will let you know  ps at the 2.18 stop/start, the song may be done ... just an observation. EDIT: Oh, it’s The Waterboys. Quite where I got Springsteen from ...

Nobody, et al. What a pretty song! Lovely harmonies too. I would definitely vote for this if it was a minute shorter or the xylophone/glock/whatever was louder or at least more prominent through the song. It really is very pleasant on the ear. Ah well, it appears I am not being very egenerous with my votes, so have one!

Paco – has to be Paco, without even looking. I don’t like the “dumb” voice on the breakdowns – I think only Mothersbaugh can get away with that sort of thing - or the cheeky, creepy chuckles. Everything else works for me just fine. The chorus could stand out more from the verses, too. Maybe vote-age. I’ll think on.

Pig Farmer Jr – the voice is a little strained. Otherwise it’s a bluesy rock song, the sort of thing that doesn’t really work for me. Played faster, and with drums, it could be a White Stripes song, which is a compliment that you may not want. It’s not bad at all, but now I’ve thought of that WS comparison, I can’t hear it without wishing it was played faster, with drums. My bad.

Sausage – Like last time, the electric is too far back in the mix. In fact the whole “band” needs to fill up the speakers a lot more. It’s not a bad song, and the vocal is fine - emotive and expressive - it just runs the risk of sounding a bit silly when it sits a-top the track like this. I like the harmony in the chorus as well, though perhaps it’s a little too close in volume to the main vocal – kind of blurs the edges between the two in a not entirely warming way. Also don’t sing “running out of time” with a minute to go.

SoS – “oh yeah” is my first thought when this kicks in! I thought “oh i’ve misheard the lyric” a couple of times but then discovered I hadn’t. “Saved the sticky parts and post script”? Really? Also I am going to have stop giving you VOTEs if you won’t write a proper f**king chorus some time soon. Is it really that difficult? It feels a little long without one. I suppose it adds to the “jam” feel, if that’s what you’re after.

Styop Quoons – The Residents (again!) verse works better for me than the instrumental break down (too inappropriately jolly)

Tuners Union – This gets better as it goes along - I think the harmonies are a bit rough early on, until around 0.50 – at which point it becomes MGMT-ish. Nah, I don’t like this as much as last week’s entry, sadly. Less Nu-Prog and more Nu-Disco please. I mean it works as it is, but it runs the risk of coming across a little ... smug.

Wreckdom – a list song. Sausage Boy (tm) vocals. Nice heavy guitars playing a pretty predictable riff over and over. Nothing changes much, does it? I find myself pining for Wreckdom’s more experimental electronic side. This feels pretty safe and the words are just, well, nothing. Filling the gaps. Ah there's the echo of electronica at the end. Loop the last 3-4 seconds round and put the vocal over that for the entire song, I might be interested. My own Wreckdom "truth" is you got lured down the wrong path somewhere around "Punk Bartender" when "the audience" responded to the punky, "funny" side and as a result everything that made you great got shunted into the background. "Doing it for the kids" or "selling out"? It's vainglorious, either way, and still occasionally glorious, but just not often enough.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

mcbigc wrote:Thank you for understanding
I can relate, I speak from experience, there are lines in the WreckdoM cannon I wish weren't there. Take my advice in advance and refrain from making fun of the developmentally disabled.
mrbeany wrote: I suppose even if I only learned three chords it would still be better, right?
I do want to try a song consisting of loops of my picking things up and dropping them on the floor with my mouth. (Considering my existing entries I might even get more votes!) I think BLT recommended that as an option I could do even if I was in a tragic car accident and lost my arms and legs. Though considering my lack of existing foot dexterity I think I'd be resorting to that even if I still had my legs...
Yes, three chords would be sufficient. Also consider wearing a helmet at all times.
j$ wrote: I find myself pining for Wreckdom’s more experimental electronic side. This feels pretty safe and the words are just, well, nothing.
This was more about shrugging off nur ein frustration, screaming and having fun. Getting through the lines without myself or my cohorts laughing. I certainly get what you're saying though, We're talking about being regulars again, and we will experiment for sure.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:
j$ wrote: I find myself pining for Wreckdom’s more experimental electronic side. This feels pretty safe and the words are just, well, nothing.
This was more about shrugging off nur ein frustration, screaming and having fun. Getting through the lines without myself or my cohorts laughing. I certainly get what you're saying though, We're talking about being regulars again, and we will experiment for sure.
Hooray at that! j$
mrbeany
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mrbeany »

j$ wrote: Mr Beany – Um, yeah. Obviously it’s a list “song”, and not much of a song, at that, but I do find this charming. A nice loop-y Residents backing track might help this out. In fact, on first listen I was tempted to do just that, and post it as yr review  Seriously, a collab on SF is not out the question – there’s even a thread for it. There’s not much else I can say except that I could only get 25 seconds in on second listen.
Thank you for the nice review.

The style of song is supposed to be that of children's music (think "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or "Hot Cross Buns") so the fact that you even briefly thought it could be more than that is saying something.

I have small children that like to be sung children's songs and lullabies at bedtime. I sang the initial draft of this song to my son at bedtime. I like to think that I'm raising super villains. I just hope they make robot armies instead of going in to banking.

The big thing keeping me from online collaboration is total inexperience with any collaboration. I've a work associate I've tried to get in to SongFight, but he has the opposite problem of me -- he isn't comfortable singing. I'm hoping once we're done with our big product push I'll be able to do a song with him. Even if it doesn't work out as a regular thing, getting some experience at it would make me more comfortable trying my hand at an online collab.