"Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
darricklucas
Brony
Submitting as: darricklucas

Re: "Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Post by darricklucas »

Caravan Ray wrote:
darricklucas wrote: When you upload onto a site like YouTube it comes with a time stamp which takes legal precedent of someone does steal your work.
I have always assumed that exactly the same thing happens when you email it to the Fightmaster and he/she uploads it to a site like Songfight!
Very true indeed. Along with that comes a string of witnesses and an even stronger case that the work is yours.

However you can't really sue anyone unless they make money off of it. So someone can go out there and steal your song and play it and call it theirs, unless they make cash the court doesn't give a damn, carry a bat and be prepared to offer street justice
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

darricklucas wrote:
Sick and Wrong wrote:I'm no expert, but here's my advice: proceed with caution.

Hey man I took your advice and decided to read up on copyright law concerning copyrighting songs.

It seems that any new piece of music written out on staff paper is automatically copyrighted, recordings work this way as well.

What someone can try to do is replicate your work, and then beat you too the punch and try to register it before you.

When you upload onto a site like YouTube it comes with a time stamp which takes legal precedent of someone does steal your work.
This is technically true, but be careful before taking legal advice from Darrick here. There's a lot of precedent in U.S. courts for "poor man's copyright" to not hold up against paid later registration at the Copyright Office. You might win with this in small claims court, but if Coldplay steals your melody, no amount of uploading to Youtube or Song Fight, or sealed envelopes mailed to yourself, will convince a judge that your work's innate copyright claim entitles you to a stake in the royalties of a work that someone actually paid to get "Officially" copyrighted. Starving artists have been practically laughed out of the court for claims like that.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

Generic wrote:
darricklucas wrote:
Sick and Wrong wrote:I'm no expert, but here's my advice: proceed with caution.

Hey man I took your advice and decided to read up on copyright law concerning copyrighting songs.

It seems that any new piece of music written out on staff paper is automatically copyrighted, recordings work this way as well.

What someone can try to do is replicate your work, and then beat you too the punch and try to register it before you.

When you upload onto a site like YouTube it comes with a time stamp which takes legal precedent of someone does steal your work.
This is technically true, but be careful before taking legal advice from Darrick here. There's a lot of precedent in U.S. courts for "poor man's copyright" to not hold up against paid later registration at the Copyright Office. You might win with this in small claims court, but if Coldplay steals your melody, no amount of uploading to Youtube or Song Fight, or sealed envelopes mailed to yourself, will convince a judge that your work's innate copyright claim entitles you to a stake in the royalties of a work that someone actually paid to get "Officially" copyrighted. Starving artists have been practically laughed out of the court for claims like that.

The US courts favor the wealthy. If anyone wealthy wants to steal and profit they can just take and they will win in court every time.

What we have going for us in this day and age is transparency. Consumers are making decisions of how they spend their money based on a myriad of things and want a holistic view of who they buy from. They ain't just buying your tunes - they are buying into who you are as a person.

Coldplay would have more to lose in terms of reputation/saving face with their fans then what they might potentially gain from ripping off a few tunes from a small timer like me.

But I agree - definitely register ASAP to seal the deal. Costs $35/tune to do online and about 8months for it to get reviewed and mad official.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Generic wrote:Recent precedent suggests that you name the file pacodelstinko_suitcase.mp3.
Yeah, I'd been following that. I usually look at the specific, but it's not here for some...reason...
It's on the left sidebar on the songfight.org front page, right where you'd expect it to be if you're Spud.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:
Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Generic wrote:Recent precedent suggests that you name the file pacodelstinko_suitcase.mp3.
Yeah, I'd been following that. I usually look at the specific, but it's not here for some...reason...
It's on the left sidebar on the songfight.org front page, right where you'd expect it to be if you're Spud.
Hey, that field auto-updates with the fight title or acronym now! How long has it been doing that?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Thanks, Fluffy! Now please don't tell Spud. Or...tell him it came in handy. :)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

fluffy wrote:
Paco Del Stinko wrote:
It's not the most obvious place you could choose to announce the required filename for the NEW TITLE, but being thankful for small mercies, I wasn't going to say anything.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

i've procrastinated to the final 24 hours. still, planning on getting something done. maybe.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

I wrote some lyrics, but haven't had a chance to do anything with them. I dropped them into the Lyric Marte in case anyone wants them and doesn't have any plans in the next 20 hours or so...
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
==========================================
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

all goes well tonight, and there will be a new TGFTF submission :)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

Waiting for friends set to end so can send print
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Submitted.

chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

just submitted one - wrote/recorded over the last 2 days (mostly today) - rock n .. roll.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Yep. Got my confirmation mail. Eight hours before I sent it in. :shock: And not one after. :?:
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

darricklucas wrote:
The US courts favor the wealthy. If anyone wealthy wants to steal and profit they can just take and they will win in court every time.

What we have going for us in this day and age is transparency. Consumers are making decisions of how they spend their money based on a myriad of things and want a holistic view of who they buy from. They ain't just buying your tunes - they are buying into who you are as a person.

Coldplay would have more to lose in terms of reputation/saving face with their fans then what they might potentially gain from ripping off a few tunes from a small timer like me.

But I agree - definitely register ASAP to seal the deal. Costs $35/tune to do online and about 8months for it to get reviewed and mad official.
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this whole thing is what the legal profession likes to call a "hypothetical question." Nobody is going to steal your song unless it has a pretty fine hook, so think about that before you spend money on a copyright.

Also, you'd have to prove that the artist who allegedly stole your work was actually aware of it. Did you know that Gerry Rafferty stole the "Baker Street" hook from me? That's right! I'd used the same cool progression (Bb G... Bb G... Bb F... Bb C...) in a song of my own some years earlier, called "Good Day." Trouble is, I never finished the song or recorded it, or played the fragment for anybody but a couple of university roommates. So I can't sue the bastard.

Also, he added a sax part that really sold the progression.
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Presonus FP10, Cubase
Submitting as: SoFa Productions Inc., Double Me Double U, heine

Post by Heine »

Back again! I'm in. Together with my 14 year old son who did the backing track. So... WE are in. As Son and Father Productions Inc.
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
Kevin Mellows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Reaper and lots of plug-ins
Submitting as: Kevin Mellows

Post by Kevin Mellows »

Just got in under the wire! See y'all in the ring.

-Kevin
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

AJOwens wrote: Nobody is going to steal your song unless it has a pretty fine hook, so think about that before you spend money on a copyright.

ALL MY SONGS ARE AWESOME FUCK YOU AJ
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

AJOwens wrote: Did you know that Gerry Rafferty stole the "Baker Street" hook from me?
[...]
Ay, there's the rub.

[EDIT: misquote fixed]
Last edited by JonPorobil on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

jb wrote:
AJOwens wrote: Nobody is going to steal your song unless it has a pretty fine hook, so think about that before you spend money on a copyright.

ALL MY SONGS ARE AWESOME FUCK YOU AJ
I thought someone might say that.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

Generic wrote:
AJOwens wrote:
darricklucas wrote: Did you know that Gerry Rafferty stole the "Baker Street" hook from me?
[...]
Ay, there's the rub.
misquote.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

AJOwens wrote:
darricklucas wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this whole thing is what the legal profession likes to call a "hypothetical question." Nobody is going to steal your song unless it has a pretty fine hook, so think about that before you spend money on a copyright.

Also, you'd have to prove that the artist who allegedly stole your work was actually aware of it. Did you know that Gerry Rafferty stole the "Baker Street" hook from me? That's right! I'd used the same cool progression (Bb G... Bb G... Bb F... Bb C...) in a song of my own some years earlier, called "Good Day." Trouble is, I never finished the song or recorded it, or played the fragment for anybody but a couple of university roommates. So I can't sue the bastard.

why isn't your work worth $35 to you?

also going I-vi I-vi I-V I -V/V is a progression that is so common it is most certainly in public domain.

When we talk about standards such as 'Oleo' or 'Good Bait' do we ALWAYS give credit to Gershwin for preceding it with 'I got rhythm'? - only when we are talking about rhythm changes as its own subject