BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

SpinTunes 16 Round 1 ‘What a Concept’ Preview

Post by BoffoYux »

SpinTunes 16 Round 1 Challenge

Welcome to the 16th full edition of SpinTunes! We're going to kick this one off with a deceptively simple challenge:
What a Concept!: Write a song based on a scene from a book or movie.

Examples include: "Thunder Child" by Jeff Wayne (from "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds") and "Cask of Amontillado" by Alan Parsons Project (from "Tales of Mystery and Imagination").
REQUIRED: When submitting, please indicate the name of the movie, or name and author of the book in your email. New competitors, please read the section on submitting entries, below.
Good luck to all! I can't wait to hear your work!

Please send a picture or logo of your band with your submission (please read the guidelines below). I'll use it as track art on your Bandcamp tracks, so 1600x1600 pixels or larger is best. I'll crop and re-size it as best I can. Otherwise the album art will be displayed.

Also, please remember that the fantastic folks at SongFight have opened a SpinTunes subforum on their message boards. So go there, sign up, and take a look around. SongFight happens year 'round. Music is universal... the more the better

Submitting Entries:
Your entry must be received by Sunday, February 2nd, 2020 @ 11:59 PM EDT. Otherwise it'll be posted as a shadow. Received means that it has to appear in my e-mail inbox (spintunescontest@gmail.com) by the given deadline. I will be going by the time stamp on the e-mail. One minute late is too late.

You are allowed and encouraged to submit a draft of your song early just in case something horrible happens and you miss the deadline. Then you can add polish to your song and send in a better version closer to the deadline. The last version received prior to the deadline is your official entry.

Lyrics are mandatory. No instrumentals. Having no lyrics will get you disqualified.

Name your file the your band name + the song's title, but without spaces & punctuation.

Title of the e-mail should be the title of the Challenge & your band's name. (e.g. "What a Concept - Dr Lindyke") (The title of your song is whatever you want it to be)

Include information on anyone that should be credited for collaboration. Remember, collaborations are OK, even among competitors. You must write your song, but if you want to use another vocalist or musicians, do so. Use the Facebook and SongFight forums!

If you have a BandCamp account, you can just send me a link to your song on BandCamp if you include all the info I mentioned above. Make sure you have it set as a free download. THIS IS THE BEST FILE SHARING OPTION!

Other file sharing options if you need them: Sound Cloud (set to download a format BandCamp is ok with) & Drop Box. Please send an e-mail as I already stated, but with the download link if you need one of these services.

If you're using something other than Bandcamp, It's best if you send your file in a format that Bandcamp accepts (.aiff, .wav or .flac, at least 16-bit/44.1kHz) You can find the specific requirements for Bandcamp files HERE.

If you send me an MP3, I will attempt to convert it for you. But be warned... I will be strapped for time, and I will post whatever Audacity spits out of the conversion. So if you picked the wrong sample rate, your dulcet tones may wind up sounding like termites or chipmunks or random static. And that is what will be judged. So please... save and submit your files in the right format.

Side Notes:
You are allowed to send in a little background about your song. We encourage and appreciate "song bios". You don't have to do it, but if you want to write a couple sentences about your song I'll post it on the BandCamp page for people to see. I'll even link to longer blog posts if you want to explain your song on your blog. Some judges will read this extra info, but they aren't required to.

You can send in an entry to SpinTunes 16 without competing. Just tell me it's a "Shadow Song". It will be played at the listening party, but won't be ranked and you might not receive feedback from the judges. Check the FAQ if you don't know what that means. You can even complete past challenges from previous contests. It's a nice way of playing along if you can't commit to the schedule or you just want to get your feet wet.

The only other way to get your music played at the LP is to cover "Today's The Day" by Inverse T. Clown.
Last edited by BoffoYux on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: SpinTunes 16 Round 1 ‘What a Concept’

Post by Caravan Ray »

OK I did this. I have only ever read one book. Its called "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". Its a powerful good book. My song is obviously about that.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Listening Party is here on Monday 2/3/20 9:00pm EST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJVx7j6xvk
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Songs due at midnight Sunday. Don't forget to add a bio and a graphic, so I have something for title cards for the Listening party for your entry!

You can also post lyrics and song bio info here at Ye Olde Lyric Marte
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11683
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 am
OK I did this. I have only ever read one book. Its called "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". Its a powerful good book. My song is obviously about that.
I based my song on Huckleberry Finn, too! I thought about changing it after you posted this, but I had already written the music, and it seemed to be evocative of lazy nights on the Mississippi, so I decided to stick with it. I'm interested to hear yours.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

lichenthroat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:36 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 am
I based my song on Huckleberry Finn, too! I thought about changing it after you posted this, but I had already written the music, and it seemed to be evocative of lazy nights on the Mississippi, so I decided to stick with it. I'm interested to hear yours.
Mine’s about Huck going to hell. So they will probably be different
Jocko Homomorphism
A New Player
Submitting as: Jocko Homomorphism
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Jocko Homomorphism »

Mine is inspired by The Big Lebowski

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I sent something in that didn't quite reach the vision I started with. Based on TV scene in the movie "Poltergeist"

Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

So far 30 songs in for tonight - 27 official and 3 shadows. I'm expecting close to 2 hours of original music.
ST16R1.jpg
ST16R1.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
leighdf
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Keyboard, Guitar (acoustic, electric, bass), Harmonica, various other stuff.
Recording Method: Reaper (native Linux client on Ubuntu)
Submitting as: Dr. Lindyke

SpinTunes 16 - Meet the Bands / Listening party

Post by leighdf »

(pasted from the SpinTunes blog. You can visit there for links)
https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com

The first round deadline has passed, and I can reveal that of the bands that signed up, 27 made the deadline and are now considered "SpinTuners". Doing the math, I see that seven of these bands will be cut in first round judging, 7 in the second round, 8 in the third round, leaving 4 for our final challenge.

The Listening Party will be hosted by Tom Giarrosso ("Tommy G") on YouTube at 9 p.m. Eastern:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJVx7j6xvk

In alphabetical order, and in their own words (such as they are), our contestants are listed below. On the Bandcamp album you'll find their track art and or faces gracing their entries when you click through for details. Good luck to them all!

--==//oOo\\==--

“BucketHat” Bobby Matheson
Veteran of Spintunes and Masters of Song-fu, “BucketHat” Bobby just doesn't know when to quit.
With an obvious preference towards acoustic instruments, he has received the moniker of "The Analog Bard" from at least one member of his D&D group. Despite his self-deprecating humor, he believes himself to be lot funnier than he actually is.

Boffo Yux Dudes
We're in yet again! We feel the need to extend the 0-15 streak! Expect the unexpected! (And a list twist of lemon).

Caravan Ray
Caravan Ray

Faster Jackelope
Thank Glennny for the Frisbee meets the Cavedwellers with tones of Megalodon.

Glen Raphael
Glen Raphael is a SAG actor and occasional nerd-folk musician.

Good Guy Sôjàbé
UK-based rock three piece, formed in 2014 by fast-food connoisseurs SOrin, JAmes and BEn. Pronounced “Soh-Jah-Bey” - good luck getting Alexa to recognise that. Permanently on a mission to redefine the solution to 1+1+1.

Governing Dynamics
Back again.

Jeb & Iwa
Solo project stretching from ethereal ambient soundscape, to prog rock, to acoustic.

Jerkatorium
Jerkatorium is a side project of the band Matchy Matchy.

Jocko Homomorphism
JH still isn't sure if this is the contest for them, but wants to give it another go.

Jordan Carroll
Hi it's Jordan I'm back

Lichen Throat
Composing music on the banks of the Rio Grande

Mandibles
Described as “The Carpenters vs. Iron Maiden on Broadway,” Mandibles are frequent contestants in Nur Ein and SongFight, and made it to the final round of SpinTunes in 2018. Basically a couple friends who love to write songs about anything and everything.

Menage a Tune
3-2-1 MaT is back with 3 voices, 2 harps and a piano. JoAnn Abbott, (the usual instigator) has enlisted the help of David and Loralee Crookston, her harp teacher and his wife, a piano teacher to see what Menage a Tune can come up with this time around.!

Mike Lamb
Songfighter of yore, trying new things.

Nick Work
Guitar player/songwriter from OKC.

Ominous Ride
English professor on the Monterey peninsula who is mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

OutLyer
Producer from Leominster, Massachusetts
Lover of EDM, Dubstep, Trap, and Alternative Rock he is a well rounded guy in the stomach and in his music taste

Pigfarmer Jr
Why shouldn't you have sex with a pig? Because it'll squeeeeeeeal on you.

Rob from Amersfoort
post-retro indie-pop

Ross Durand
I have written songs for a long time, mostly I teach science and hang with my family.

Steve Stearns
Hi, I'm a musician, producer and songwriter in Seattle, WA.
I composed the incidental music for the hit independent film Sonicsgate, which won a Webby Award for Best Internet Sports Film. It was shown on CNBC in 2012 and on ESPN Classic in 2014. My film credits include Cardboard, Every Day Is A Journey, and Bienvenidos a White Center. Commercial composer credits include Microsoft Bing, Genco, The Seattle Mariners and United Way of King County. Member ASCAP. I was a finalist in SpinTunes #12, looking forward to another round!

Temnere
one man power metal project, specializing in all the good stuff

The Brewhouse Sessions
Two guys jamming on guitars on the back porch creating tunes when we can. We play mostly to entertain ourselves but occasionally someone will happen by that isn't offended. We can never get them to sing for us, so we have to do it ourselves.

The Quantifiers
Joey follows Angela around singing everything she says

Timothy Patrick Hinkle
Lofi DIY psychedelic folk singer. Guitars strummed. Kazoos hummed. General thrumming.

Vowl Sounds
Transatlantic dream-pop from Tom (Vom Vorton) and Owl (Gentle Brontosaurus).
--
I was born too young. And when I die, I'll still be too young.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Re: SpinTunes 16 Round 1 ‘What a Concept’ Preview

Post by Cybronica »

So I’m new to Bandcamp, and I’ve run into an issue where it won’t let me stream the album anymore without purchasing it... I’m using the bandcamp app cause my phone stops the stream after each song on the blog. Am I missing something here? Anyone else have that issue?
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Cybronica wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 am
So I’m new to Bandcamp, and I’ve run into an issue where it won’t let me stream the album anymore without purchasing it... I’m using the bandcamp app cause my phone stops the stream after each song on the blog. Am I missing something here? Anyone else have that issue?
I believe it will let you stream them 3 times, but you can download the files for free. I think if you clear your cache (Or don't log in), it will reset the counter.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

BoffoYux wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 am
Cybronica wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 am
I believe it will let you stream them 3 times, but you can download the files for free. I think if you clear your cache (Or don't log in), it will reset the counter.
This is something that can be turned off at the very bottom of the artist profile page in Bandcamp (or the number of streams before purchase can be increased)
Edit: turned off by the artist, not the listener
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

owl wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:36 am
This is something that can be turned off at the very bottom of the artist profile page in Bandcamp (or the number of streams before purchase can be increased)
I hadn't noticed that as being able to modify. I thought it was locked because we're using the free version (Other than paying for the free download count as needed)

Thanks for letting me know - I clicked it and changed to 100 plays, so you should be set.

Edit : I"m also impressed you've streamed the songs 3 times already. I've only gotten to listen to them 4 so far, and 2 of those were at the LP live. I'm trying to write some reviews so people have feedback before the judging on Saturday.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

BoffoYux wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:35 am
owl wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:36 am
I hadn't noticed that as being able to modify. I thought it was locked because we're using the free version (Other than paying for the free download count as needed)

Thanks for letting me know - I clicked it and changed to 100 plays, so you should be set.

Edit : I"m also impressed you've streamed the songs 3 times already. I've only gotten to listen to them 4 so far, and 2 of those were at the LP live. I'm trying to write some reviews so people have feedback before the judging on Saturday.
Many thanks! That should be almost enough listens to write good reviews... jk. But yeah, I’ve been playing it on a loop while I work/commute so that I too can write some reviews (they’re my favorite part of this whole shebang, and if I’m not willing to write them, have I the right to read them? ;) )
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro