Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Here's something to check out:

Post by ken »

http://www.myvirtualband.com/participate.php

Participating in MyVirtualBand.com is easy! Just follow these 6 simple steps:
  • Get an instrument, recording software, and a high-speed internet connection.
    Read the Terms of Use. If you agree to the terms, register on the Forums.
    Now that you're a member on the Forums, look around and see if there is a project that interests you. Alternatively, post a new project idea.
    Existing project audio files can be downloaded via FTP. Members will be given information regarding FTP access. New audio files can also be uploaded using the FTP site.
    Be sure to check out MVB Radio.
    For more information, see the Help, MVB News and About pages. Also, feel free to Contact us.
That's all it takes! You're now on your way to crankin' out the hits!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

And I though UBB was bad. Yeesh.
🤠
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Re: Here's something to check out:

Post by tonetripper »

We've been doing this with Redcar since it's inception to Songfight and the world at large. Cool that finally someone hooked into it. Checked it, but there seemed to be some issues with signing in. Try again after Xmas.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Am I wrong to be somewhat concerned about their Terms of Use? Things like "We may take your songs and sell them on CDs for our own profit" and "we'll try to credit you but don't count on it" seem, well, a little sketchy. It's nice that they invoke Creative Commons licensing all over the place but somewhat less nice that the "Original Author" of whatever you contribute is not you, but them.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

bzl wrote:Am I wrong to be somewhat concerned about their Terms of Use? Things like "We may take your songs and sell them on CDs for our own profit" and "we'll try to credit you but don't count on it" seem, well, a little sketchy. It's nice that they invoke Creative Commons licensing all over the place but somewhat less nice that the "Original Author" of whatever you contribute is not you, but them.
Well, sadly and unfortunately, I can't imagine their terms of use being any less broad. IANAL, but it seems like you're opening up a can of worms if you try and assign any sort of ownership to the songs at all. Who exactly should be credited with writing the song? And who should be credited as a musician on a song? It all becomes very blurry, especially when like, two different basslines are recorded for the same song. Or two different melodies. Or the melody of the song is not written by the person who comes up with the original chord progression. Stuff like that.

My understanding of the Terms of Use seemed to be along lines with yours, that once you upload something you can't really expect to be credited anymore. I wouldn't upload anything that I really really cared about (but that's just me).

I signed up a couple days ago, and contributed some tracks to one of the songs. It was fun, and would be more so if there were more songs (especially ones that aren't "two-chord jams") for people to add to.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

It seems like you just have to give yourself over to the powers that be at that point, which is totally cool. The idea is for people who don't necessarily know each other to write and record some songs together. If you have other expectations then its not the place to party. I would think that some nice collaborations might take place and lead to off-network collaboration, at which point you treat your work mmore seriously. Or something.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
MyVirtualBand
A New Player

Post by MyVirtualBand »

Dear SongFight Forum Members,

Thank you for your interest and comments regarding MyVirtualBand.com. Part of the purpose of the current beta testing phase is to get members' feedback regarding licensing issues, as well as general issues such as uploading files, etc. We would like to take the time to address some of the concerns discussed in this thread:

the sober irishman: We are both new to running a website with forums. We are currently using Phorum, which we find suits our needs rather nicely. What exactly don't you like about our Phorum or our forum page in general? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can email us directly at contact (at) myvirtualband (dot) com.

tonetripper: Thanks for your support by registering on our site. What issues have you had signing in? Is your login and password not working? A few days ago we did experience a hiccup with our forum login page and it seems to be working now. Please try again soon. If you have any more problems, please let us know. You can email us directly at contact (at) myvirtualband (dot) com.

bzl: In the spirit of "open source" and as allowable by the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 license, we (MyVirtualBand.com) can distribute CDs, etc. for a profit, but so can any of the other registered members or non-registered users of MyVirtualBand.com. (Think of Red Had, for instance. Red Hat packages and sells Linux, an open source operating system, for a profit. But they are not the only ones, just the biggest and most popular. Anybody and everybody is allowed to package and distribute Linux for a profit under the Gnu General Public License.) Therefore, we don't have any more rights in this regard than anyone else; however, because we are the administrators of the website, we felt that it was necessary to state this in the Terms of Use. We do mention that others can do this as well, but perhaps we should make this a little more clear.

As far as MyVirtualBand.com being the Original Author, it is not our intention to pretend that we are the authors of the music. In fact, whenever possible, we will give all musicians credit who contributed to a particular song. The "MyVirtualBand.com as Original Author" clause came about because we were concerned that it may not be possible to give everyone individual credit due to the nature of the song creation process on MVB. In particular, we were concerned that forum threads would not provide a rigorous account of those who collaborate on a given song. Furthermore, we don't have members' real names, only their usernames. At a minimum, the "MyVirtualBand.com as Original Author" clause ensures that a song will always remain associated with MyVirtualBand.com in the sense that listeners will know how the song was created.

From the beta testing thus far, however, it appears that it may be easier than we initially thought to give everyone credit. In the future, as we refine our site, we hope to guarantee individual credit. In the meantime, we will consider re-wording this portion of the Terms of Use to make our intentions more clear. In general, if an artist makes it easy for us to give them credit, they will receive credit.

15-16 puzzle: Thanks for your support by registering on our site. You hit the nail right on the head! When one really--and we mean really--thinks about it, there are a TON of issues relating to copyright ownership, music licensing, and author attribution that are unique to MVB because we are promoting the writing and recording of original songs on an individual track basis. The licensing of the music on MVB was the most difficult thing for us to "hash out" in creating our website because of the issues that you've raised here. We delayed the launch of MVB for nearly two months while we deliberated our music licensing agreement. At one point, we considered writing our own music license--as some musicians and organizations have done--but ultimately decided we liked the idea of supporting Creative Commons.

Currently all music on MyVirtualBand.com is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License, as it is the most flexible. As our community grows, we hope to offer additional licensing options. We even hope to get Creative Commons directly involved. Until, then we like having the MyVirtualband.com Community credited as the Original Author, at the very least.

Also, regarding your comment about "two-chord jams," please feel free to start new MVB Projects yourself! We along with some friends of ours "seeded" the site with a few songs to get things rolling, but ALL members are encouraged to start new projects, not just contribute to existing ones. (In fact, that is the whole point!) We're glad you thought it was fun to contribute and hope you continue to participate in the future. Hopefully there will be many more new projects after the holidays.

roymond: It sounds like you're interested in our site. We hope that you sign up so that we can collaborate with you!

Seasons greetings to all!

Regards,
MVB Administrators
http://www.MyVirtualBand.com
Last edited by MyVirtualBand on Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

15-16 puzzle wrote:IANAL
Could you please "FILL ME IN" on what that one means? :mrgreen:
🤠
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

I for one couldn't give a rat's about my paternity rights, so someday soon I'll have to start a song over there.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

the sober irishman wrote:Could you please "FILL ME IN" on what that one means?
IANAL, but YANAC.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Sober: Try Google. You'll find out what it means, and you'll also discover the <a href="http://edyanacfanclub.tripod.com/">Ed Yanac Fan Club</a>.

Edit: Also, "IANAL" is just begging for dirty jokes. Where are all those SFers younger than me?

Edit2: ...was it 'comedian', Erik?
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

JMYAW*

*john m, you are wise
MyVirtualBand
A New Player

Post by MyVirtualBand »

Change to Music Licensing on MVB

Dear SongFight Forum Members,

Based on the progress of MVB Projects to date as well as feedback from our online community, MyVirtualBand.com has decided to simplify the licensing of music uploaded and downloaded from the MVB servers. In particular, it has become evident that it is possible for MVB as well as its users to give individual credit to each registered member who participates on a given project. As a result, it is no longer required to give MyVirtualBand.com credit for any of the works. The MVB Open Music Agreement has been changed so that the Licensor and Original Author are both now the MVB registered member who uploads the work.

If you have any questions or would like to provide us with feedback, please contact us at contact (at) myvirtualband (dot) com or post on our Comments and Suggestions forum. Thank you.

Regards,
MVB Administrators
http://www.MyVirtualBand.com