iPad Recording

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

iPad Recording

Post by jb »

In the review thread for "The Rat Brain", this question was asked:
Rudedawg Raymond wrote: Hey, let me ask you, your mic, is it worth getting if you record to an iPad and use an interface? That's how I'm currently set up (cheap focusrite with one xlr and one 1/4 jack). I want a better, affordable condenser (mine's busted) and was intrigued by your comments. If you have any suggestions on a nice mic, that'd be great. The guitar sound at the beginning of your tune is what really caught my attention.
An iPad can be a good recording interface, and the Apogee MiC can certainly be part of it. The sacrifice would be that your setup now doesn't make you switch interfaces when you want to plug in a bass or electric guitar. Apogee makes a good 1/4 interface that is similar in style to the MiC: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004Z8VQ2O

I have one and it works well. But still you will have to swap out the MiC for the Jam if you want to record different instruments.

You can opt for a Line6 SonicPort VX instead, which combines a bunch of functions including a stereo mic pair, a single mic, and 1/4 input and output. I have one of these and it works ok, but the microphone isn't nearly as nice as the MiC (you get what you pay for): http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MI2YF6I

The main reason I got a SonicPort VX is for the dual Left and Right 1/4" output- I don't like the idea of running 1/8" stereo cable out of an iphone or ipad into a performance setup. It feels flimsy and makes me nervous.

But if you're going to use an iPad for your recording setup and you're not going to export out to a desktop/laptop DAW, I highly recommend spending the money ($50 I think) to get Cubasis instead of using GarageBand. Cubasis is made by Steinberg, the same company that makes Cubase, and is more like a full-on DAW for the iPad, with EQ and compression, reverb and delay, etc. And you can pipe synths on the iPad into Cubasis more easily (IMO) than GarageBand. There are a many many four-track apps for iPad, but those don't approach the capability of Cubasis at ALL. There are a couple other DAWs for iPad as well but I haven't seriously tried them. Cubasis is familiar enough to what I've used on larger platforms, so I stick with it. http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mo ... start.html

HTH,

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Rudedawg Raymond
A New Player
Instruments: What instruments am I proficient at? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that.
Recording Method: GarageBand iOS, Korg D1600, Tascam 424 MKiii
Submitting as: Jim Fallope & His Fallopian Dudes

Re: iPad Recording

Post by Rudedawg Raymond »

Thank you, sir. Awesome advice.
amateur, yet naïve.