New guitar time

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

New guitar time

Post by Caravan Ray »

So, my old Martin got a bit smashed up coming back from Portland last year, and insurance finally gave me some money for it. It stills plays OK on open chords, but goes slightly out of tune if I use a capo.

So, trying to decide on new axe. Not many guitar shops in Toowoomba, but would like to buy one here instead of having to drive down to Brisbane.

Currently tossing up between:

Martin DCPA5K for $1499
http://bandland.net.au/products/453/Martin%20DCPA5K

Takamine EF360SC for $1999
http://bandland.net.au/products/420/Takamine%20EF360SC

Takamine EF340SC for $1599
http://bandland.net.au/products/420/Takamine%20EF340SC

Any suggestions? Never played a Takamine - but they seem OK in the shop.

This is about the full extent of the range available locally here in TWBA:
http://bandland.net.au/products/31

Its either this, of drive to Brisbane and maybe check out some Matons or (cheaper) Taylors.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Re: New guitar time

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

They're all nice, tough choice. Gotta go with the one that feels best in person, though. Try a few on. And please share when you do!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I'm a Gibson man myself. I think Takamines are very nice guitars. I totally agree with Paco, you have to get your hands on it. When I bought my Gibson CL10 many years ago, the guy at the store said, "You don't choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you." He was right. I could have bought a more expensive model, but this was the one. Kind of like pulling a sword out of a stone.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Counter point: Just get the Martin.

:P
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I don't know what Takamine is. Last time I went pricey acoustic shopping, I picked Taylor (as a gift) over Martin.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:I'm a Gibson man myself. I think Takamines are very nice guitars. I totally agree with Paco, you have to get your hands on it. When I bought my Gibson CL10 many years ago, the guy at the store said, "You don't choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you." He was right. I could have bought a more expensive model, but this was the one. Kind of like pulling a sword out of a stone.
Yes - the guitar chooses you. Definitely got that when I bought my original Martin and my Strat a few years ago. That is why I won't consider buying one online.

I had assumed I would just get a new Martin, cos I love my old one - but must admit - the Takamines did feel a bit nicer than the Martin in the shop, especially the $1999 one - it is all solid with gloss finish which is nice compared to the satin finish Martin with the laminated back and sides.. And it has an inbuilt tuner. With the saving on lost tuners it may end up paying for itself in the long run.

There is a local shop that makes their own, called "Outback". Solid timber top, back and sides for about $1500. Cant find any info online about them - but they are worth another look.

Gotta go out bush for a week, then maybe go for a bit of a look in Brisbane. will probably make a decision in a few weeks