How do I test my home internet speed?

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

How do I test my home internet speed?

Post by ken »

Hi all,

This week my internet at home is noticeably slow. How do I test it to see what the speed is? What other things should I check out? I swear it was fine last week. Nothing should be different this week. Thanks!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Re: How do I test my home internet speed?

Post by Chumpy »

Go to speedtest.net, they have a little flash widget on their site that will test both your upload and downloads speed. If you want to test the speed on a mobile device, you can download the speedtest.net application from your mobile app-store, if not, just hit the speedtest.net site on a browser.

Warning: The site is going to spam with with ads try to sell you software to 'clean' your PC. That software is bullshit, use the free service and get out of dodge.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Keep in mind that Speedtest.net is provided by cable companies and provides the absolute fastest detected results in order to make said cable companies look good. It is not a good indicator of actual transfer speeds, but it is handy and HTML5 so it works on mobile devices as Chumpy said.

When I feel the home speeds sagging I do a complete shutdown of all the related internet boxes (cable, network breakout box, router, switch, etc.) wait a minute (to drain capacitors) then switch them all on again. Often this will fix whatever was choking bandwidth.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

It might be your computer. In Windows 7, you can check Network I/O using the Resource Monitor.

Right-click the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager. On the Performance page, click Resource Monitor.

I thought I just posted this information, but I don't see it, so I'll try again.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Fair to assume you've checked with your provider about outages in your area? The worst thing ever is doing three hours of troubleshooting only to learn that there's an outage.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Ping - 63ms
download - 4.93
upload - 1.49

I'm pretty sure I'm paying for 25Mbps, so this ain't right. I'm going to try Roymond and AJOwens suggestions next.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm not sure if it's still this way, but, it used to be that you'd be paying for "25Mbps 'peak'" speed, meaning that you are paying for the possibility of peak download speeds of 25Mbps, but your normal average downloads speeds will generally be much lower. Also it used to be that you'd be paying for 25Mbps downstream but much less upstream.

http://www.livescience.com/6076-adverti ... ality.html
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Neither of those things mean you're not having a problem, but they're something to keep in mind. Speedtest.net is unlikely to ever show you "download - 25mbps".
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

You're probably having a problem of some kind though as I just got 20/5 on my DSL and your cable internet should be faster than that. :/ One more thing to check is to try speedtest.net again but do it from a computer plugged in to your router or cable model, to try to eliminate your Wifi network as a source of the slowdown.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

roymond wrote:Keep in mind that Speedtest.net is provided by cable companies and provides the absolute fastest detected results in order to make said cable companies look good. It is not a good indicator of actual transfer speeds, but it is handy and HTML5 so it works on mobile devices as Chumpy said.
I'm afraid this isn't entirely accurate. Speedtest.net is owned and operated by a company called Ookla. Ookla partners with various ISPs, including cable companies, who provide endpoints for the bandwidth test. The speedtest widget will pick a random endpoint near you, which may indeed be hosted by your ISP, but isn't always. The widget that performs the test on the speedtest.net page is implemented using Flash, and not HTML5, so it won't work on mobile browsers that do not support Flash, which is why I suggested downloading the app on mobile. There are a number of reasons why results on speedtest.net may differ from real world performance, but in the context of this discussion they are largely irrelevant.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Thanks for all your help.

This morning, when connected directly to my wireless router via ethernet cable I get:
Ping - 14ms
Download - 33.89
Upload - 6.09

Connected via wifi:
ping - 19ms
download - 5.15
upload - 1.51

I've shut everything down and let it rest before turning it back on. I checked the resource manager, but I'm unclear what I'm looking for there.

Thoughts for a next step?

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Maybe try changing your wifi channel, if you can? It could be there are too many networks crowding your wifi.
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Chumpy wrote:I'm afraid this isn't entirely accurate. Speedtest.net is owned and operated by a company called Ookla. Ookla partners with various ISPs, including cable companies, who provide endpoints for the bandwidth test.
Oh yeah, speedof.me is the html5 test. I stand corrected. My concern with these tests, though, are that they use averages that often don't reflect real world usage. Of course they have to do this as they can't predict what we're looking for, be it light web browsing or heavy downloads/uploads and speedtest has modified its methods over the years to better assess things. I'm often moving very large files and clients running a simple speedtest have difficulty comparing results with even a 2GB download. Main point being: take it for what it is. Secondary point being: don't listen to me again.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:Maybe try changing your wifi channel, if you can? It could be there are too many networks crowding your wifi.
Also compare 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz settings.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Eat more kale, I think. And maybe like, a bran muffin in the morning. That always helps my internet speed.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Thanks for all your help. The kale thing seems to really be working. Unfortunately, it seems that my wireless router is not. The modem is fine, and if I connect my computer via ethernet, everything is fine. However, no matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in, it won't show up as a network. The lights are on, but it seems like no one is home. Any suggestions on a replacement? I don't know much about these things and a friend set this whole thing up years ago.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think I have an extra router I could loan you. I bought one but then I upgraded my DSL and AT&T installed a combo modem/router, so I haven't been using the one I bought.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

According to a story on Slashdot, Netflix has set up a site for measuring your internet speed.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/1 ... -really-is
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

In case anyone is interested, I just replaced my old modem and wireless router with a combo deal: NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) on Amazon for $99. It was easy to install, and despite having to register it with my Cable company (Comcast), it has been a simple process and seems to be so much faster.

the Fast.com site says I'm getting 74mbs.

Speedtest.net says 41mbs download, 6mbs upload.

Problem solved for now. Next up, renaming and changing the password!