Which Headphones?

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Which Headphones?

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Gonna buy some headphones.
Y'know, for mixing.

What'n do y'recommend?

Please hold all "buy some nearfields instead" until the end.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

For this purpose, I suggest a pair of expensive open-backed Sennheisers.

j
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Agreed. Is it the 650s? Also, those standard Sony's work really well.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

If you also need to use the headphones while tracking, the Sennheiser HD280's are a great compromise. (Though JB's right: If they're just for mixing, go with the open-back.)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Another vote for the 7506s, although they do seem to have a bit more low end and high end than a lot of other brands... i.e., you need to be careful not to let too much midrange into the mix. They are really sturdy (the way I mistreat mine, I probably ought to be on my second or third pair by now), and they're also the "standard" in the sense that just about any serious studio will have at least one pair, so once you're used to the sound of the 7506s, it makes it a little easier to move around from place to place.

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

As in the past, I also defend the Sony 7506s. Great for around the town, too. I never leave home without them. One of the problems of summer is not having a jacket pocket to fold them up into.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I love my 7506's, but I never mix with them. I've tried, and the mix comes out pretty unbalanced and muffly through normal speakers. YMMV.

Plus for listening hours at a time, Sennheiser has such a nice soft padding-- it's almost like terry cloth, but softer. My 7506's make my ears sweat, and they're closed-back so there's a seal which adds to the effect.

Frank has a nice pair of Sennheiser open-backs, and they are just so comfy and the sound is so nice and clear. That's why I suggest the Sennheisers. Go for something in the $200-and-up range, if you're serious about it.

J
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

deshead wrote:If you also need to use the headphones while tracking, the Sennheiser HD280's are a great compromise. (Though JB's right: If they're just for mixing, go with the open-back.)
this is all i've ever used for mixing. i friggin LOVE these headphones. they are the most comfortable headphones i've ever used. they never, ever hurt my ears after listening, mixing, and wearing for 6 or 7 hours at a time.

two thumbs way way up here.
Hi!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Just to add to the discussion, if you want a pair of headphones for tracking, you must have Extreme Isolation Headphones.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

ken wrote:Just to add to the discussion, if you want a pair of headphones for tracking, you must have Extreme Isolation Headphones.

Ken
This (isolation) is one area the 7506s are tops over Sennheiser and other open backs like Grado. I have all three. Plus, I always found the opens to create a boomy mix as they have little bottom end. I still haven't found the right mix but the Sonys have helped.

I think what it comes down to is this: buy or borrow a couple pair. All quality phones have stengths and weaknesses and you can't find them by reading reviews from people who have different ears, technigues and equipment than you do.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I think the key is just knowing what companies to look for:

Sennheiser
Grado

There are some others, but those two are at the peak I believe.

The only Sony model ever mentioned is 7506-- take that into account.

Open-back vs closed ("sealed").

These are the key vendors and terms to be aware of when you're trying to buy a quality pair of headphones.

If you're in a hurry, consider that the 7506 are inexpensive ($100) and that a bunch of us have them and like them.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i have enjoyed my AKG 240's, but I don't have experience with any other brands.

-craig
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

I have read good things about the Grado sr60 and 80, but have not used them yet. Anyone have these and could give an opinion?
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Freddielove wrote:I have read good things about the Grado sr60 and 80, but have not used them yet. Anyone have these and could give an opinion?
I have the Grado 80s and love them for truly transparent clarity. But there's NO low end, so be careful about that in the mix. It is clear I should be employing them more in the process, though...haven't used them in a long time.
Koushirou
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Koushirou »

what exactly should one look for, spec-wise, when shopping for headphones? obviously, nothing beats actually putting them on and trying them, but i'm still curious as to what i can tell from a quick look at a spec sheet.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Which Headphones?

Post by Lunkhead »

I really enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones for tracking and mixing. You can get a pair, with a straight cable, for $75 here:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx ... 200&ref=cj

You have to add them to your cart then apply the promo code emkswizz to see the discount from $99 to $75.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50s too
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:I really enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones for tracking and mixing. You can get a pair, with a straight cable, for $75 here:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx ... 200&ref=cj

You have to add them to your cart then apply the promo code emkswizz to see the discount from $99 to $75.
chocolatechips wrote:I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50s too
Came here specifically to post in favor of the ATH-M50. I love 'em.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

I was going to recommend the Sennheiser HD424: light and comfortable with an open, clear sound. The bass is understated compared to most other headphones, but I wouldn't call it weak; more like normal, or not pumped up for effect. (And I'm a bass player.)

But these headphones are not just discontinued; they're now supercool "vintage" items. Which makes me a hipster -- not an old fart who bought them with his first turntable! I feel so much better knowing this.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Post by josh »

I use those AT-M50's too. I like them. Haven't used enough headphones to say anything more poignant than that :-)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

josh wrote:I use those AT-M50's too. I like them. Haven't used enough headphones to say anything more poignant than that :-)
I use AT-M40fs - which seem to be a cheaper version of the M50 - but seem OK to me.

I notice people mentioning "open back" headphones for mixing. What is the advantage of these??
Am I right in guessing that these would leak sound - meaning you couldn't use them for recording?

And on a similar note - I recently bought some studio monitors. Just a small pair of Alesis Elevate 3. Am finding that after mixing only on headphones for so long - I find it slightly awkward not having headphones on to mix. So at the moment - I have on my desk the Alesis monitors, and a small set of stereo speakers I use to watch TV on my computer - and find it useful just to use these to hear two 'versions' of my final mix to try to check that nothing sounds too horrible.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

ATH-M50 were amongst those I tested. They sounded okay but I liked some others better.
Caravan Ray wrote:I notice people mentioning "open back" headphones for mixing. What is the advantage of these??
Am I right in guessing that these would leak sound - meaning you couldn't use them for recording?
Yes, they leak sound. The advantage is that the sound tends to be a bit more "open"... yes, really. Basically, by not enclosing the sound space, it's much easier for the phones to not sound boxy. In my experience it's generally easier to get decent open-back headphones at lower prices than similarly decent closed-back ones.
I recently bought some studio monitors. [...] Am finding that after mixing only on headphones for so long - I find it slightly awkward not having headphones on to mix.
You didn't ask a question, but I'm going to pretend you did. Who knows, maybe someone finds this helpful.
Yeah, mixing on monitors is quite different from mixing on phones. It's much more expensive to get decent monitors, and now you have to think about the room's acoustic properties, too. For instance, the room I'm set up in now resonates quite noticeably on E flats. Not nice!
The big "advantage" of monitors, though, is that you listen to both channels with both ears, much like most consumers do, and so you get a much more realistic impression of what that's like. With two speakers you have a danger of phase cancellations, i.e. parts in the left and right channel that eliminate each other, so that your mix ends up sounding extremely thin and weird to the listener. Now again, phase cancellation depends a lot on the room, too (the sound waves are reflected by walls, after all), but at least you get some idea of what the direct sound is going to do if someone listens on a similar speaker configuration (similar distance etc.). You just can't do that on headphones.
I guess the reason most professionals recommend mixing on monitors first and foremost is that this stuff is really important throughout the whole mixing process. Of course you can mix on headphones, but suppose your mix starts creating horrible phase cancellations everywhere right from the start... so, once you're close to getting done, you re-listen on monitors and it sounds crappy. Chances are you'd have to start over to fix it...