Logic and That Apple keynote

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Logic and That Apple keynote

Post by fluffy »

They mentioned a new version of Logic almost as a footnote to the new Mac Pro. I'm wondering what's new in Logic, if it's going to be a paid upgrade (for the first time in what, 5 years?), and if it's going to be "turned up to 11" (because it'd be version 11 most likely).

I'm looking forward to a more focused announcement of new Logic stuff. I don't need a new Mac Pro but I"m definitely interested in whatever performance improvements they've made in it, and that fine-grained load meter alone should be really helpful when I'm getting "buffer underrun detected" errors.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Logic and That Apple keynote

Post by jb »

I'm on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro, so I am likewise interested in any performance optimizations they may have done in Logic. I hit the limits of this machine constantly. "System Cannot Process" and me are well acquainted.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah even on my late-2017 5K iMac I still run into processing issues from time to time. I assume it's mostly I/O rather than CPU but it'd be nice to actually be able to see the cause.

I also want to know what new instruments are going to be included. The little tidbit from the keynote showed a focus on symphonic stuff, and that's something that Logic's been historically mediocre at while Native Instruments has been way better, and I want to know if I should splurge on NI Symphony Series or Symphony Essentials while they're on sale or if Apple's going to make something better and cheaper.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

okay I just tracked down a place to watch the keynote and in the Logic bit they’re very clearly using Logic Pro X, and it’s just “a brand new release” meaning 10.5, which isn’t a surprise that it’s on the way. And most of the instruments that I could see the channel strip on are just Kontakt.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

I have nothing to say about Logic, but I thought the maximum specs of the Mac Pro were absolutely insane. I think they'll find a lot of rich people willing to throw away "just another $1k" on this computer.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah. The Mac Pro is intended for a level of pro that I don't think I've ever been, and if I had one I'd have no idea what to do with it. But there are clearly folks who do need that sort of power, like film editors and AI researchers and rich yuppies.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

I assume the mark-up on the wheels for it are almost 100% profit. And that screen, nobody needs that, but a hell of a lot of people are going to get it.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Major film producers need that and it's a bargain compared to what's out there already. Like, look at its closest competition.

Joe Schmoe who complains about it costing $6000 isn't the target audience.

(Okay that additional $1000 for the stand is fucking ridiculous, admittedly.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

That was the best reaction of the whole presentation, when they showed that the new display's stand was optional and cost $1000. Priceless. $5999, yeah, that's a whee bit out of my budget. I already felt really ridiculous buying the trash can Mac Pro that I got, which by the way has USB bus problems and guess what, 4 USB ports turned out to not be enough and I only use one of the 6 Thunderbolt ports. Shocker! And now they're like "Do you like PCI slots?!?!" Hilarious. Classic Apple shenanigans at their finest, and the fanfolx will just eat it all up and pay whatever it takes, as always.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah it's a shame Thunderbolt 2 never played out the way it intended, and Apple didn't ever update the trashcan with Thunderbolt 3 (which would have been infinitely more useful).
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

When I say "nobody" it's just hyperbole. I'm sure some people need it, but most people will just be spending money to spend money.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, prior to the trash can Mac Pro, the "pro" desktops low end price range went low enough that plenty of "prosumers" could justify springing for them. At $5999+ though, it sure seems like it's only going to be for real pros, and for vanity/status symbols for super duper rich folks. I guess I'll be replacing my trash can with an iMac some day. :/
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

That's what I ended up doing, switched from a 2013 Mac Pro to a 2017 iMac 5K. My annoyance at being forced to have a monolithic built-in display eventually gave way to appreciation for how nice the display is. But then my annoyance at being unable to upgrade anything other than the RAM is still present.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

My 2012 quadcore i7 Mac Mini is still doing just fine. It has a 2TB SATA SSD, 16G of RAM, and Logic runs great on it. Using some cable adapters and a powered Thunderbolt 3 dock allows me to run my TB3 audio interface from my TB1 only Mini. Sometimes backwards compatibility is a great thing. I'm starting to think my next Mac is going to be a Hackintosh though, because Apple prices have become completely outrageous, and thanks to the T2 chip you can't upgrade the built-in storage, so you're stuck with the holy-shit expensive SSDs that Apple jams down your throat.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken