Is this a good deal on a good stage piano?

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Is this a good deal on a good stage piano?

Post by Lunkhead »

A friend asked me about this listing. I don't know much about stage pianos. Anybody got any thoughts? This Roland RD-300GX seems well reviewed from what I could find. The price seems good when you factor in the flight case, although, I don't think that my friend needs that and I tried to explain it would likely be quite a large bulky item to store.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/ ... 29642.html

I'm inferring from the price of the listing that their budget is ~$800 possibly plus or minus $100, maybe $200.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Is this a good deal on a good stage piano?

Post by ujnhunter »

-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, I saw that, thanks. And I read reviews on various sites, which all seemed positive. I'm just not a stage/digital piano expert at all. I don't need to have 88 keys or weighted keys etc. because I'm just doing MIDI programming, I'm not a trained piano player or anything. I know some folks here are more like that though and have broader personal experience with this type of instrument and might have some first hand experience to supplement the Googling I did.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

It gets good reviews on Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gx/reviews

My concern would be that this unit is 10-15 years old. It may make more sense to get something more current. Does your friend need 88 keys?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I didn't get much in the way of specs that they're looking for, so, I'm just inferring from the listing that they want something like this, yeah. I think they're really looking for an actual piano but don't have space and so are looking for a digital/stage piano that's got a feel and sound that's realistic, including having a full set of keys.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

Ah... I admit to just skimming your post... I was under the impression you were looking for confirmation that $800 may indeed be a good price. I've got a Casio PX-100 Privia 88-Key Digital Piano and it is indeed quite the monster setup in my basement. It would take up most of the space under your bed just to store it. That being said... the weighted keys are really great... and if you're looking for a "piano" experience in a keyboard... you pretty much need weighted keys. I don't have any experience with that Roland though and don't know how it would compare to the Casio or Yamaha keyboards of the same type. It really depends on what your friend is looking to do with it.
-Ujn Hunter
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

For a stage piano I'd also recommend something in the Casio Privia line, which has (IMO) a better key action and also costs a bit less, new. I had a PX-300 for well over a decade and was very happy with it, and only got rid of it recently when I upgraded to the Komplete Kontrol S88. When I upgraded, I sold it to a music student who is very happy with it.

For example, the PX-160 is a quite capable stage piano which punches way above its price point.

(For anyone who ever played Spud's digital piano at an SF Live event, this is the most recent version of that.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, thank you! I'll check out those Privias and pass along some links to them.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

No idea if it's good, but I thought of this thread when I saw it today. Casio CDP-S100CS Digital Piano with Wooden Stand Black is the Stupid Deal of the Day at Musician's Friend today. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid $349.99
-Ujn Hunter
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Ooh, I’ve never tried that one but it wouldn’t surprise me if that were a Privia action. Seems like it might be a pretty good choice yeah!

The reviews I’ve found on YouTube are promising. And yeah it seems like it’s a Privia with less user interface.