Massive X

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Massive X

Post by grumpymike »

Apparently, Massive X is finally released.

So, that’s exciting. I think. I use Massive but don’t play with the knobs much. When I have time to play with Massive X I’ll post back here.

What are your thoughts and feelings on this sequel VST to the VST that changed the world of music?
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Massive X

Post by ujnhunter »

I tried to Google "How Massive changed the world of music" and came up empty... care to share any information? I've never used it... even though I've probably owned it for quite a few years now.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

I've never used Massive all that much either, but I tried out Massive X and it has some pretty nice sounds in it. I found the UI confusing at first but it quickly started making sense as soon as I started messing with it, which is a good sign. Some of the presets seem very CPU-heavy but I guess that's par for the course with modern synths. Looking forward to trying it out a bit more next time I'm actually working on something.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

ujnhunter wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:02 am
I tried to Google "How Massive changed the world of music" and came up empty... care to share any information? I've never used it... even though I've probably owned it for quite a few years now.
I don't know much other than what I glean from the internet and the fact I only know about it due to "how does I make dubstep sounds?". Apparently, it deserves a lot of the credit for the explosion of dubstep and EDM.

A lot of the reviews for Massive X reference it. Eg:
review
]NI’s original Massive synth was released in 2007 and, for better or worse, came to define much of the sound of EDM and commercial dubstep (just search “massive dubstep bass tutorial” on YouTube for proof of its influence).
There are other allusions elsewhere, though there's not definitive Wikipedia citation. Some other quotes:
emusician
As a softsynth, Massive dominated the early evolution of genres such as progressive/EDM and dubstep. Even to this day, Massive is a core component of many big-room styles, more so than some of NI’s more complex offerings like Absynth and Reaktor.
the verge
Any particularly geeky conversation regarding the tweaking bass sounds (shouldn’t every conversation regarding the tweaking of bass sounds be assumed to be geeky?) will deride Native Instruments’ popular Massive wavetable software synth: not because it doesn’t sound good (it sounds great), but because the presets make it all too easy for anyone to cop anyone else’s bass sound. Homogenization through mechanization, software plugin-style.
the guardian
These abject-yet-inorganic basslines largely stemmed from a single music-making program, Massive. Made by Native Instruments, it's a synthesizer plug-in that sits in a producer's laptop or digital audio workstation and allows him or her to slather different synth-textures together to make the sickest, slimiest bassline.

The Massive sound basically made dubstep massive in the US.

Note: I still haven't gotten to play with it. Not enough time in the day!
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I like Massive for, well, massive and unreservedly synthy sounds. I haven't tried X yet and I'm fairly sure I won't until the next version of Komplete is released. Don't really feel like getting every single major upgrade separately when getting 2-3 major upgrades at once costs the same.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I've owned Massive for years but haven't ever gotten around to trying it out. So I just launched it and now I know I have to mess with it:
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.35.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.35.42 PM.png (50.01 KiB) Viewed 975 times