"Help and How To" Forum Guidelines -- Please Read

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

"Help and How To" Forum Guidelines -- Please Read

Post by jb »

Hey guys, just a few notes to try to help us all make the Help and How To forum as useful as possible.

1. Make all the new threads you want, but whenever possible use the <b>most specific subject that you can think of</b>. If you don't know what the subject should be, just indicate that in your first post and a moderator will come up with one after the discussion is under way.

2. Don't start discussions on unrelated subjects in a thread. If it's related, that's fine, but it will be better to put new topics into new threads.

3. If you can, include audio examples in both questions and suggestions. Link to a song you made using a technique, or a song that demonstrates your problem. Since we're all dealing with recording audio (for the most part), examples will make anything you say much more compelling to readers. If you don't have hosting space for a demo mp3, or your space may die at some point, let jb or spud know and we'll put it on sf.net.

<b>NOTE:</b> Posts that aren't actually helpful might be removed. I don't just mean flames or whatnot, but boring old regular replies too. Please don't be offended, it's simply an effort to keep the content of this forum with <b>as high a signal/noise ratio as possible</b>.

Your normal comments will probably remain long enough for whoever you're addressing to see them. Comments in the context of a conversation about a helpful topic will remain, of course. [edit] This doesn't mean I'm encouraging you to start flame wars because I'm just going to delete them. Please don't. Please be helpful, not asinine.

I don't want to feel required to keep my thumb on these threads; I'm sincerely hoping that you will all help make this forum a useful resource for songwriters and not just another in-joke-and-flame-ridden morass of useless banter.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I first wrote the above in 2004. Two years ago, can you believe it?

People have been mostly good. But I'm posting this to REMIND you of the guidelines so CAREFULLY described above. Not to MENTION the part about "please don't be offended if I delete things that don't have any helpful information."

Geez.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jb
Hot for Teacher

Re: "Help and How To" Forum Guidelines -- Please Read

Post by jb »

Wow, it's been over 3 years since I bumped this the last time.

An update has occurred-- post your for sale stuff in the "For Sale" subforum from now on. Any classified ad, whether it's personal or from somebody else on the Internet, or just a cool deal you found somewhere, should go in the For Sale/Wanted subforum.

Auto-pruning is set to 30 days for the For Sale subforum-- if nobody replies or views a post for 30 days, it will be automatically deleted. This will keep old ads and deals from accumulating and confusing.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy