ripping wav from unfinalized audio CD on Windows 7

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

ripping wav from unfinalized audio CD on Windows 7

Post by king_arthur »

Just wondering if anybody has discovered the trick to doing this, or can at least report that they are able to do it.

I record songs on my standalone workstation, write them to a CD, and then (want to) rip the song from the unfinalized CD (so that I can go back and add more songs later) onto the computer. I used to be able to do this on XP; so far, though, W7 seems to refuse to recognize that there is anything on the CD in the drive. I suspect it may have to do with the fact that W7 is doing some sort of "direct CD" type process where it stores up files to write to a disk, and when I put an unfinalized CD in the drive, it assumes that it's a BLANK CD and goes into "prepare to write" mode, instead of checking to see if there are audio files on the CD.

When this was working on XP, I was using Roxio to burn CDs; I have not installed that on this machine yet (I've been able to do backups and even DAO audio CDs using the "Burn" item in the windows menu)... I am able to rip audio from a finalized CD, but I want to be able to pull it off an unfinalized one.

Even just knowing that somebody else is able to do this would be helpful (or knowing that other people are seeing the same problems).

Thanks,
Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs