the best free drumer

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
hillbilly

the best free drumer

Post by hillbilly »

has anyone found a decent free drum thang or loops?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: the best free drumer

Post by JonPorobil »

"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

It's the Dracula topic! Every time you think it's dead, it rises again from the grave. Also, there are hundreds of spins on the same basic idea and more often than it not, it's awesome.

Anyway, I've decided to take some very good advice to improve my drum programming. (Thank you, RangerDenni). I like my software (leafDrums, FTW, until I can drop $150 on EZDrummer - maybe my birthday this year, who knows....), and I love my samples, but I always find my percussion parts are... ho-hum. Yay, I can program a backbeat, and fiddle with it to make it interesting here and there. But more often than not, I'm underwhelmed, or the fiddling just make things messy instead of dynamic, especially fills and tying phrases together.

So, to make a short story long, I started digging into various samples and cool beats. At first, I began noting cool riffs from various songs and tagged them "To study," and I also grabbed a whole bunch of neat loops from SampleSwap. Alas, I am nearly drum illiterate, and don't have the training to deconstruct a drum part by ear. Is that a floor tom or just a kick? A snare, or what? Hi-hats versus ride cymbals mystify my ears. Mind you, I intellectually know the difference, I just can't pick it out in fully-produced a track. Maybe not even in an isolated one. Moreover, deconstructing the exact rhythm of each part... oi.

So, after perusing the old "Drumming Without a Drummer" thread and some fresh Googling, I've come up with a new strategy: I've downloaded a mess of freeware programs who already have a ton of pre-programmed patterns; and their output looks a lot like the leafDrums interface. Ah-hah! So THAT's what a cool rock rhythm with a fill in the 8th bar looks like!

From here, I can get a better sense of what it feels like, too, and how to add those little touches to make each groove my own.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

nyjm wrote:I like my software (leafDrums, FTW, until I can drop $150 on EZDrummer - maybe my birthday this year, who knows....),
Toontrack is doing a promotion right now, so a lot of retailers are selling EZdrummer for $80.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... =sea&ion=1

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
nyjm
Ice Cream Man

Post by nyjm »

Oh, really? Hrm...

Okay, I'll bite, but a quick question:

Are this and this the same product? I have an account with Musician's Friend and good dealings with them in the past, but I don't want to drop $80 on the wrong software.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

nyjm wrote:Are this and this the same product? I have an account with Musician's Friend and good dealings with them in the past, but I don't want to drop $80 on the wrong software.

Probably.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

The specs are the same.

For what it's worth, I use SuperiorDrummer and I adore it.

signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Really, the best fake drummer is your own education in how to program drums, and good sample to use, regardless of software.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I still just use the drum sample banks that came with Logic and basically just click around on the piano roll to make shit that sounds suitable.

(suitably SHIT yes)
nyjm
Ice Cream Man

Post by nyjm »

Just a quick update. I totally jumped and got the program. LOVE IT. I still need to get more used to the finer points, but the samples are great and it's quite intuitive.
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings

Post by the idiot king »

Generic wrote: For what it's worth, I use SuperiorDrummer and I adore it.
agreed. it's just fantastic. if you're nerdy and enjoy programming, the only difference between this and miking up a kit yourself is

a.) it sounds better, and
b.) the "drummer" doesn't bring its girlfriend to practice
fluffy wrote:I still just use the drum sample banks that came with Logic and basically just click around on the piano roll to make shit that sounds suitable.

(suitably SHIT yes)
indie live kit still sounds good to me. route that stuff out to separate channels for processing, and you can get some solid, non-logic-indie-live-kit sounds. some of the other kits are still pretty killer to me. i may never tire of ghost town.
"You know the change will do you good."
-Gang of Four
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah I mostly use indie kit and electroclash remix, depending on the sort of thing I'm doing. electroclash is usually coupled iwth some ridiculous effects chain too.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I know I've said this elsewhere, but the one I use is called GURU. It seems to have been replaced by a new program, but I don't have drum machine budget right now.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas