Getting your music on vinyl

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Getting your music on vinyl

Post by fluffy »

Last night I found out about a new startup, Qrates, which is a crowdfunding platform that has partnerships with various record pressing plants to get your stuff onto vinyl pretty cheaply, and it seems like a pretty good deal. You can get basic pressing cheaper when you go direct to the presses but that doesn't include things like the cut taken by Kickstarter or the various hassles/expenses of shipping and so on, although I haven't done the detailed math to see which is really the better option.

Who has gone through the rigamarole of a vinyl pressing, and what experiences can they share? I know Glenn Case did that for Throw Money. Any insights?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Getting your music on vinyl

Post by fluffy »

So, after a lot of deliberation I decided to go ahead and put Refactor on Qrates. It required a little bit of finessing (even after trimming all the silence I could my A side was exactly 2 seconds too long for their process so I had to speed up Silica to 121BPM which made it just barely fit) and one of the unfortunate things is that right now they're doing all their shipping from France, so shipping is... pretty expensive. And I probably made a mistake in pricing the album at $25 (I should have probably gone for $22?) but anyway. If people want to preorder it and hopefully make it a thing, please do so!