Awesome two-chord songs

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Awesome two-chord songs

Post by Lunkhead »

Personally I enjoy songs with novel chord progressions, major/minor switches, etc. But occasionally I hear a song that I love and then realize it's built on only two chords. I'm always impressed when somebody can pull that off, whether it's by virtue of the lyric, melody, singing, groove, instrumentation, or some combination of all those qualities. I thought about this because I was listening to the song "Dreamworld" by Rilo Kiley and just picked up my guitar to figure out it. It's only two chords! Eb and F. That's it. And yet I love this song for some reason. I get really caught up in the vibe of it, the rhythm of the instruments and the cadence of the vocals feel hypnotizing.

What are some two-chord songs you think are awesome?
Here, Atticus
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: *doot doot badum tsss*
Recording Method: PC:Cubase, Reaper
Submitting as: Brother Baker; Here, Atticus
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Awesome two-chord songs

Post by Here, Atticus »

Brand New: You Won't Know

If you disregard the 8 bar bridge in the middle (I know! Kind of cheating right off the bat, but this has been one of my favorite songs by these guys since they released it) this song only uses 2 chords. I didn't even notice for a long time and it's one of the reasons I love it. The backing guitars are always progressing instead of repeating a riff, so that probably plays a big part. Also, the song gets heavy and faster in the middle; that'll do it as well.

I see what you mean about the song you posted. It does have a great groove and you just kind of fall into it.

EDIT
To make up for my transgression of posting a song that has an extra chord or two, I present this.

Your story of how you came up with this reminded me that I've been through that same situation. Except this song only has one chord!
F#
There, now you can play "Enjoy the Show" by Lydia.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Jane Says!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
user
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: gaming
Recording Method: Microsoft Word
Pronouns: she/him

Post by user »

I've become fond of this in recent times. Quirky rhythm, clever lyrics, just two chords.