Favorite Album of 2017?

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Favorite Album of 2017?

Post by ken »

Hi All,
List your favorite album from 2017. Does anyone still listen to albums?
Happy 2018!
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Re: Favorite Album of 2017?

Post by vowlvom »

I still listen to albums! My favourite from 2017 was Romaplasm by Baths.

Hyper-emotional electronic pop with gorgeous production.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I still listen to mostly albums. My problem is, I have no idea what year they came out. I need some automated way to figure that out.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Ooh, I have one, I really liked Marsheaux - Athlon. That came out in 2017. Wikipedia says they're Greek synthpop with female vocals.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Albums are my favorite way of listening to music. I have an on going spreadsheet of "essential albums" for each year from 1959 until the present. I take in about ten hours of albums a day. Here are the seven albums that made my list during 2017. Over the next few years if I discover another gem I'll add it to the list. The order of these albums is the order I added them over the year. So when the Dirty Projectors album came out in February (on my birthday), it was the first to make my list. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Golden Calf by Small Leaks Sink Ships. There were a lot of good albums from old favorites in 2017. Anyway here's those 7:

Dirty Projectors- Dirty Projectors
Cornelius- Mellow Waves
Broken Social Scene-Hug of Thunder
Small Leaks Sink Ships- Golden Calf
Queens of the Stone Age- Villians
LCD Sound System- American Dream
Soulwax- From Deewee
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I still listen to albums! My favourite from 2017 was Romaplasm by Baths.
I like that album, but not as much as Cerulean, or Obsidian. (Both of which made my list for 2010 and 2013)

Great albums, though Ken tells me the live show wasn't very interesting.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I never really got into Cerulean or Obsidian - I liked the production, but they were a bit too dark for my liking, or something. That hyper-emotional synthpop sound he has shifted towards with Romaplasm is much more my kinda thing.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Albums are pretty much the only way I'll listen to music, unless I've already listened to the entire album, and then I'll "shuffle" my playlists which are usually by Artist or Genre. The Album from 2017 that stayed in my car stereo for the better part of the year since it released was Wolves In The Throne Room's "Thrice Woven" which came out in September. Also while researching the albums that I enjoyed from 2017, I did a search for "top albums of 2017" and besides LCD Soundsystem... on the top hits on Google, I didn't listen to any of the albums on the lists that came up. So either I've missed out on a ton of great music... or I don't give a shit about any of the artists or albums that everyone else seems to like. :| I had a hard time trying to find (or sort my collection) for albums from 2017 and there are also a few albums from 2017 that I want to listen to still that I haven't been able to yet... so I may revisit this with more in the future. Until then... Wolves In The Throne Room's "Thrice Woven" on repeat in the car stereo. ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.