New Music Friday - 3/8/19

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

New Music Friday - 3/8/19

Post by ken »

Hi All,

First and foremost, let's be sure to all listen to Songfight veteran MC FRONTALOT's new album NET SPLIT today. He needs literally thousands of digital plays to equal the sale of one physical CD.

Other albums I plan to check out today:
Wyclef Jean - Wyclef Goes Back To School Volume 1
David Gray - Gold In A Brass Age

What are you checking out today?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: New Music Friday - 3/8/19

Post by Lunkhead »

ken wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:30 am
First and foremost, let's be sure to all listen to Songfight veteran MC FRONTALOT's new album NET SPLIT today. He needs literally thousands of digital plays to equal the sale of one physical CD.
YEAH!!! Song Fight represent! W00t w00t!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I might check out "This Is How You Smile" by Helado Negro. I saw him open for Beirut and he was OK. Seemed like somebody who might be better recorded rather than live.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I checked out the new M83 album, which is the soundtrack to a European horror film. M83 doing horror soundtrack music sounded like a good recipe to me, but most of it is pretty forgettable.

Kinda curious about the Meat Puppets releasing their first new album in 20+ years, although I've only ever been a casual fan.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Checked out Indoor Pets - Be Content. It was a fairly enjoyable pop/rock album. Catchy if not memorable.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The Black Keys "Lo/Hi" - Pretty groovy, I like it. Nothing very innovative but fun.

Townes Van Zandt "Sky Blue" - More info here: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/28/69671802 ... t-sky-blue Lots of nice solo vocal and fingerpicked acoustic guitar songs, classic folk, including a great rendition of "Pancho and Lefty"

Holly Conlan "Dust" - This is an EP by the sister of a former coworker of mine. The music is nice and she can sing but she does that same thing that all indie/pop women singers have been doing for 15-20yrs that I can't stand. Hilarious breakdown of the vocal tropes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-0K77ccAOU and more in depth analysis here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtonlvglu8

Foals "Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost" - Arcade Fire esque, 80s synth influence, maybe a little Talking Heads vibe laying into some decent grooves, don't love the singer though, overall kinda meh

Sigrid "Sucker Punch" - Not my cup of tea, electronic stuff with yet another woman "hip singing"

Stella Donnelly "Beware of the Dogs" - More of a live/band/acoustic style thing, which I like. The singing's good, less "hip singing" style, and she's Australian so she gets a pass for some of that. Sounds a little twee sometimes, in a good way.

Helado Negro "This Is How You Smile" - Very mellow, kinda reminds me of low key Yo La Tengo stuff, might go back to this in the right setting

Dido "Still On My Mind" - Seems pretty true to form, I wasn't super into her before, still think this is just OK

Amanda Palmer "There Will Be No Intermission" - Kinda snoozy :/

Man, there are so many albums. I have no idea what 90+% of them are. It's a little mind melting to just try one after another after another and not give them much of a chance. Music overload!

The Coathangers "Devil You Know" - Punk, touch poppy and maybe slightly twee, not bad

Kari Faux "Cry 4 Help" - Huh, I actually liked this, more than I thought, hip-hop, kinda early 90s retro but mixed with modern, still with the soft vowel mushed mouth-y thing from "hip singing" though ugh, also some 70s rnb/funk retro a la Childish Gambino's "Awaken My Love"

Ten Fé "Future Perfect, Present Tense" - Bad to some pretty straight alt rock, also just ok, I appreciate the very straightforward drum and bass and guitar lineup.

Indoor Pets "Be Content" - Good indie rock, amped up fast paced poppy, singer kinda reminds me of the Vampire Weekend singer, maybe a little too much 100% loud all the time, could just be the mastering though

Meat Puppets "Dusty Notes" - liked it

Hannah Georges "Imprints" - Fuck, if any more women sing like Dolores O'Riordan I'm going to puke (no disrespect, just, aargh) ... pass ... oh man, it's covers too anyway, ugh

Patty Griffin "Patty Griffin" - I guess I'm just an old fogey, this is the first thing that's sounded like "real music" to me for most of the night...

MC Frontalot "Net Split etc." - Still doing his thing, going strong

Nick Waterhouse "Nick Waterhouse" - Totally retro but to a time and vibe that works for me