Bowling for Soup - A Hangover you Don't Deserve

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Bowling for Soup - A Hangover you Don't Deserve

Post by JonPorobil »

My brother bought it, gave me a copy. Musicians tend to take potshots at BfS a lot, but I like them. They really evoke a younger Too Much Joy, and I'd love to hear them develop over the next couple of albums into a voice similar to TMJ.

Yes, I dug the CD. Butch Walker produced "Trucker Hat," which is a sweet little number that's fun as hell to listen to. "Ohio (Come back to Texas)" somehow manages to be snide and sincere at the same time. "Shut Up and Smile" is my favorite, because it seems irony-free at first, and it was a little disappointing when, towards the end, the singer says "All we need is someone here," and the guitarist chimed in "Like Ben & Jerry." But then "Two Seater," the second-to-last track, really did turn out sincere, and reminded me the most stronly of TMJ's later work, like Mutiny.

I'd give it an A-, but I don't suspect this'll be a popular topic. So broader question: what do individuals of the Songfight community at large think of Bowling for Soup? I've heard various people who ought to know what they're talking about badmouth the band, but we seem to have a good mix in this community. What do you think? If you hate them, why?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Really? An A-? I'll have to give them another try, as I was flipping through the video channels and I heard this turd-boy whining about "When did Motley Crue become classic rock?" and I just go so damn mad. Then I found out it was them and I decided to hate them, because that song....just REALLY pissed me off. I don't know why either.
Perhaps they just happened to catch me at a bad time.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Maybe they caught you at a bad time. Their singles aren't generally like their album tracks, though I happen to enjoy both. Oh well.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i've heard that song about half a dozen times on the radio (i rarely listen to the radio, otherwise i'm sure i would have heard it many more times) and once on vh1 (ditto), and it annoys the hell out of me. these people are all pining for the way things were in 1985, but to hear them sing, it sounds like they weren't even BORN in '85.

i'm not sure if i've heard anything else of theirs -- the name sounded familiar to me like i'd heard of them before this, but i'm not sure.