Coheed & Cambria

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Coheed & Cambria

Post by Niveous »

If you've looked over at the Collaborations thread, you know I'm working on a concept album. And in doing so, I've been doing research. It's like I was told in college, you should read if you wanna be a writer. I wanna write a concept album so I should try out some. So I've been listening to stuff like The Who's Tommy, Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime I & II", Fear Factory's "Obsolete", MCR's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" and Coheed & Cambria.

I was wondering what members of the community thought of the band and more specifically, if they were Coheed fans, what they thought of the Bag On Line Adventures. The more I've been listening and researching, I'm beginning to think that either Claudio is a really bad writer or perhaps just a really crazy one or he's just making this stuff up as he goes along.

C'mon- It's supposed to the story of a couple named Coheed & Cambria. Coheed gets stung by a magical dragonfly and that activates the Mon-Star virus in his heart. Then there's all sorts of other twists and stories out of order and a talking 10 speed bike and robots called IRO-Bots... This has to be a joke, right?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

those guys are friends of mine. everytime claudio has talked to me about the plot of his music, he's been very drunk and i dont really listen.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

I always assumed C&C were a tongue not-so-in-cheek parody band. "Parody band" is the wrong phrase; "intentionally ridiculous" is what I mean, I suppose. Everybody I know who likes them takes them seriously, which blows... mah... mind.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I always thought they were too pretentious for their own good.

Niv, are you listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots? There's the concept album of our time. WOO.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

With my work on Septemberian (my concept album), I have been taking in lots of Trade Paperbacks and Concept Albums. And yes, Yoshimi is one of them. If this were a class- Yoshimi would be one of the textbooks.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Generic wrote:I always thought they were too pretentious for their own good.

Niv, are you listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots? There's the concept album of our time. WOO.
and the lips aren't? they DEFINE pretense.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Re: Coheed & Cambria

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Niveous Devilchild wrote:MCR's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"
Is that a concept album? I must have listened to that a thousand times, and I guess I thought of it more as "a bunch of songs about the same thing."

I really enjoy Coheed an' Cambria. Such a cool density, with a little herky jerk.

Maybe I don't know what a concept record is.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is a concept album. It's the story of a couple who dies when their town is overrun by vampires (that part of the story is in the previous story). The guy then makes a deal with the devil to get both his and his girl's souls back. All he has to do is bring the devil the soul of 100 evil men.

It starts with Helena which is the funeral and then the hunt is on. Then at the end he succeeds, which is the song "I never told you what I do for a living". Not every song on the album follows the plot, but most of it does.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
mr_lostman
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mr_lostman »

Sure the lips are a bit pretentious, but Yoshimi is still a great concept album.

My friend is a huge fan of Coheed and he'll tell me about the story and all but every time we get into it, we just end up laughing at how ridiculous it is. Granted some of their songs are pretty cathcy and live they are hard to beat, but i do agree that in order to be a true coheed fan you have to be pretentious enough to laugh at them and still enjoy the music, or dumb enough to believe what they are doing is genius. :roll:
"I can't hear a thing,
'cause I've stopped listening!"
-BNL
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

mr_lostman wrote:i do agree that in order to be a true coheed fan you have to be pretentious enough to laugh at them and still enjoy the music...
Exactly what is pretentious about this?

Not a Coheed & Cambria fan, by the way. I like concept albums though.

Oh, and Niv: For another (much cooler) "concept band", check out Bal-Sagoth.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

The Lips have never come off as pretentious to me. Wayne Coyne even once said, "All our good ideas were in our first EP, we've been running on fumes ever since." That doesn't really sound like pretention to me. That sounds like outrageous humility, considering that those "fumes" gave us Clouds Taste Metallic and The Soft Bulletin.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

I think the Flaming Lips are far too fun to be called pretentious. They've always come off as pretty genuine weirdos to me.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I dunno, dude comes out and smears fake blood on his head at EVERY SHOW, while surrounded by people in bunny/fox/etc costumes. Fake blood and bunnies= pretentious.

IMO
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

jb wrote:Fake blood and bunnies= pretentious.
Not always...
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I feel like the fake blood and bunnies are just too ridiculous to be rooted in pretention. Besides, I've heard from everyone who's seen them that they put on one of the greatest live shows ever, so if people are digging it...

Anyway, concept albums. I personally love the notion that Aeroplane Over the Sea is a concept album about Anne Frank being in love with Jesus. And Pedro the Lion has done two very cool concept albums, Winners Never Quit about a religiously zealous politician who steals an election and kills his wife when she finds out, and Control about a stressed-out number-crunching businessman who cheats on his wife and gets stabbed to death in the end by a jealous wife. Both excellent.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

jb wrote:I dunno, dude comes out and smears fake blood on his head at EVERY SHOW, while surrounded by people in bunny/fox/etc costumes. Fake blood and bunnies= pretentious.

IMO
I read an interview with Wayne Coyne recently in which he called that stuff entertainment. It's not supposed to be an artistic statement. He was even trying to set up vibrating panties to hand out to audience members before the show and trigger the vibrations from the stage.

Here is the interview.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I was listening to Dirty Projectors' The Getty Address and thinking "god damn is this album good," and then I remembered that it's just about the most complex/nuttiest concept album I've ever heard. Something about a man named Don Henley journeying through strange lands and leading birds and kangaroos in a revolt against technology and dying and having his blood poured into a bowl by kangaroos. Anyway, incredible incredible stuff conceptually and musically. There are even some awesome music videos to go along with some of it:

Really awe-inspiring stuff.