John "Ozzy" Osbourne

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

John "Ozzy" Osbourne

Post by boltoph »

1. Is capable of writing songs in his head, without aid of an instrument other than his mind.
2. Has been rocking out since the late 60s, and still does today.
3. Favorite band: the Beatles. And you can hear it in his music, if you put aside all the crap that went on with bats and such (which is actually nothing compared to other things that go on), and if you really listen to his vocal melody lines on albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Blizzard of Oz.
4. Takes one helluva licking, but keeps on ticking.
5. Is my idol.
deshead
Panama

All Aboard!!!!!

Post by deshead »

boltoph wrote:Blizzard of Oz.
Now there's a flashback. I lost days, weeks even, to Guitar Player magazine and the Crazy Train and Dee tabs...
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

that first Randy album is the whole reason I play guitar

I mean Randy Rhodes
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"I Just Want You"=awesome
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

deshead wrote:Guitar Player magazine and the Crazy Train and Dee tabs...
I still have the whole tab/music book for Tribute :wink: Even just that 10-7--7-8--7, 005, and then the harmonics on the the seventh string for the intro of Dee, I think might show one how to use my pinky and play with open notes in a whole new way
Me$$iah wrote:that first Randy Rhodes album...
yeah man, that's blizzard of oz. The Ozzy songs Diary of a Madman, Mother Earth, Killer of Giants even brought out beautiful acoustic guitar... And then broke into epic solo sections.
Niveous wrote:"I Just Want You"=awesome
yeah man, Ozzy survived the 70s and 80s and even the 90s in his own sorta way, and that album in 02 even had good tunes, even though you can tell he's getting older. I just can't believe all the shit that he's done and that he's still touring and the whole nine plus doing that tv show, i mean who else could he be compared to besides the Stones or Clapton, except way crazier. so offstream, but swimming strong. timeless!

I might have to list my favorite songs of Mr. Osbourne, but it'll end up getting reordered and all sorts anyway but hell, here's a start:

Diary of a Madman
A National Acrobat - bs
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - bs
Mr. Crowley
Supernaut - bs
Killer of Giants - jake e. lee :o
Crazy Train
Miracle Man (first zakk tune)
Goodbye to Romance he he
Everything else off Blizzard
Little Dolls (great beatles style singing there)

and not even gonna start on more of the early-mid seventies sabbath stuff :!:
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

huge fan of the original sabbath. totally not that much into anything he or they have done since parting ways. my 1.125 cents.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i'm with tviyh.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Ozzy definitely has the best post-Sabbath catalogue, though, god damn Geezer's music to hell, god damn. One of the worst albums I've ever heard.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

tviyh wrote:huge fan of the original sabbath. totally not that much into anything he or they have done since parting ways.
I hear ya as to what may be more appealing to the masses, but for me it's not about musical taste more as it is about lifetime musical career, and the fact that he's still up on stage rocking out. And whether or not you like his music, he really does know how to move a vocal melody line.

As far as my personal taste is concerned, Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman are right up there with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master of Reality. Actually, personally, I think the melody is much more robust (and hey! they actually use major keys on metal songs without sounding that cheesy!) on those first two Ozzy albums than it generally is on the Sabbath stuff. I am with you WeaselSlayer. I mean just look at Ozzy today. Tell me he has not had one hell of a career. Look at this post straight in the type and try to tell me that he hasn't taken one helluva licking yet kept on ticking.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

boltoph wrote:I mean just look at Ozzy today. Tell me he has not had one hell of a career. Look at this post straight in the type and try to tell me that he hasn't taken one helluva licking yet kept on ticking.
ummm, that's my point too. just look at ozzy today. it's embarrassing. he should have hung up the spurs at least ten years ago. (oh wait, he did). ever since the "retirement sucks" tour, he's just been making himself look foolish any time he opens his mouth. last time i saw him was in 2001 and i vowed never again. when i went to ozzfest since then, i left before he came onstage. i'd rather remember him as the godfather of heavy metal than have that image ruined by witnessing the rapid decaying of a bumbling withered old empty shell of a man.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

tviyh wrote:I'd rather remember him as the godfather of heavy metal than have that image ruined by witnessing the rapid decaying of a bumbling withered old empty shell of a man.
"The Godfather of heavy metal" exactly. See, even you acknowledge Ozzy's great accomplishments. For someone who's whole life has been an acid trip, I think he's doing alright. Not only is he the godfather of metal but he has a family, has had a TV show, is'nt afraid to let the public see what has become of him. Balls man, balls. Although I'm not a huge fan of anything he did after 1988, my point is that Ozzy has survived for so long as a NICHE musician. And nowadays, he still is in a niche. Maybe if you're lucky, you'll live to be as old, and as bumbling as he has. But you still won't be the godfather of metal. Ozzy gets my lifetime achievement award. Just compare him to any other musician from his time still writing music today. NICHE man, NICHE. It's a miracle that he succeeded, and what you just wrote confirms that. That's why I started this thread as a tribute to the man.
I have to add, that i don't think anyone should ever "hang it up". As long as you are selling out shows and people want to see and hear you, AMEN. And make a point not to give a shit about a critics opinion cause that don't mean shit. The public is where it's at.