Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Announcements of changes to the forums
User avatar
jb
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby jb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello everyone,

There have been a few attempts to create Song Fight wikis, none of which really seem to have caught on and generated lots of participation from the community. You may or may not be aware, but there is a WIKI installed on songfight.net, which I've added a few articles to in order to get us started.

To encourage us all to mix wiki with forums, I've added a BBCODE that makes it easy to link to articles on the SongFight.net WIKI (songfight.net/wiki/). To link to the wiki:

    1. Type the title of the Wiki article (NOTE: this is CaSe SeNsiTive!)
    2. Select the title.
    3. Click the "wiki" button in above the text box.
Like this:

Code: Select all

Check out the [wiki]Article Template[/wiki]s on the SF Wiki to learn how to add articles!

Which results in this:
Check out the s on the SF Wiki to learn how to add articles!

NOTE:When you post on the message board don't be afraid to link to articles that might not exist. Then, if you can, follow your own link and if the article isn't there, write it! We can all follow along behind you and correct/move/merge/clean up things as necessary. That's how wikis work!

You can also request that someone write an article by linking to one that doesn't exist. We can follow your link and, hopefully, provide what you need.

Enjoy,

JB
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Generic » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I kind of expected Manhattan to jump down your throat about this sooner, but there's a wiki with a lot more relevant content at http://sfbase.net/ right now.

I've always been of the opinion that if the Songfight community had a demonstrable need for a wiki, it wouldn't be so difficult to keep one maintained, but that's a whole other issue. It's DEFINITELY not going to make it easier if there's two competing wikis.

Someone (I think it was MG) wrote scripts to import data from the Archive into the one on sfbase.net, data which I believe are mostly absent from the one on songfight.net. Could the content from the two wikis be merged, perhaps? Also, the one on songfight.net would be MUCH more useful if it had a better set of "Getting started" links. Right now, the only links from that front page to the rest of the content are the "End to end recording guide" (mostly unpopulated) and the "Random page" link.
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Generic » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but the wiki hosted on songfight.net is still subject to a fairly significant amount of spam. Example: http://songfight.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... F%E6%9C%9F
User avatar
jb
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby jb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 am

Everybody talks about the weather, Jon.
User avatar
fluffy
Ganon
Posts: 9406
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby fluffy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Eh, the sfbase.net wiki is neglected and spam-ful now too.
Lunkhead
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5331
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Lunkhead » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Am I crazy or prejudiced to think that any widely used PHP wiki (or bulletin board for that matter) is going to be a pretty big target for spammers...? Maybe a different solution than MediaWiki might be less likely to get spam, something that has a smaller userbase and therefore is less valuable as a spam target?
User avatar
Billy's Little Trip
Sunshine & Flowers
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics
Location: Cali fucking ornia

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Billy's Little Trip » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:21 am

Lunkhead wrote:Am I crazy or prejudiced to think that any widely used PHP wiki (or bulletin board for that matter) is going to be a pretty big target for spammers...? Maybe a different solution than MediaWiki might be less likely to get spam, something that has a smaller userbase and therefore is less valuable as a spam target?

Sure, until it gets popular. You can run Lunk, but eventually you have to stand up and fight. This isn't Song Run! :)

Song Fight is awesome on it's own. This place is revenue worthy. It has internet value. That's why there is so much spam. Spin is no dummy, this place is a goldmine. Sammy Kablam hooked in for the same reason. Those are just a couple that I can think of. I've been suggesting it for years, but why does this place resist sponsors? It's not a sell out. It can be silly bumper stickers or t-shirts. It can be ways for bands to exceed with engineering and production. I can't count how many times this place has had members ask to send their tracks to get mixed by an inspiring engineer. MG does this and he's damn good (but you didn't hear that from me). The mighty Song Fight is a goldmine and can teach and help MANY. Anyway, I love this place as is. But....the times, they are a changin'.
Long Live The Mighty Song Fight!
User avatar
Billy's Little Trip
Sunshine & Flowers
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics
Location: Cali fucking ornia

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Billy's Little Trip » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:32 am

I'll just leave this to the mods...at this point.

....by the way. I shall not post in here ever a-gain.
Lunkhead
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5331
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Lunkhead » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 am

Billy's Little Trip wrote:I'll just leave this to the mods...at this point.

....by the way. I shall not post in here ever a-gain.


I cleaned up your quintuple post mess, in case you were wondering.
User avatar
jb
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby jb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 am

Billy's Little Trip wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:Am I crazy or prejudiced to think that any widely used PHP wiki (or bulletin board for that matter) is going to be a pretty big target for spammers...? Maybe a different solution than MediaWiki might be less likely to get spam, something that has a smaller userbase and therefore is less valuable as a spam target?

Sure, until it gets popular. You can run Lunk, but eventually you have to stand up and fight. This isn't Song Run! :)

Song Fight is awesome on it's own. This place is revenue worthy. It has internet value. That's why there is so much spam. Spin is no dummy, this place is a goldmine. Sammy Kablam hooked in for the same reason. Those are just a couple that I can think of. I've been suggesting it for years, but why does this place resist sponsors? It's not a sell out. It can be silly bumper stickers or t-shirts. It can be ways for bands to exceed with engineering and production. I can't count how many times this place has had members ask to send their tracks to get mixed by an inspiring engineer. MG does this and he's damn good (but you didn't hear that from me). The mighty Song Fight is a goldmine and can teach and help MANY. Anyway, I love this place as is. But....the times, they are a changin'.
Long Live The Mighty Song Fight!


Why do we need sponsors? What would the community get out of it?
User avatar
Spud
Notable Hylian
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:25 am
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Spud » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm

^^^ We have a sponsor ^^^
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
User avatar
Billy's Little Trip
Sunshine & Flowers
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics
Location: Cali fucking ornia

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Billy's Little Trip » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:14 pm

jb wrote:
Billy's Little Trip wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:Am I crazy or prejudiced to think that any widely used PHP wiki (or bulletin board for that matter) is going to be a pretty big target for spammers...? Maybe a different solution than MediaWiki might be less likely to get spam, something that has a smaller userbase and therefore is less valuable as a spam target?

Sure, until it gets popular. You can run Lunk, but eventually you have to stand up and fight. This isn't Song Run! :)

Song Fight is awesome on it's own. This place is revenue worthy. It has internet value. That's why there is so much spam. Spin is no dummy, this place is a goldmine. Sammy Kablam hooked in for the same reason. Those are just a couple that I can think of. I've been suggesting it for years, but why does this place resist sponsors? It's not a sell out. It can be silly bumper stickers or t-shirts. It can be ways for bands to exceed with engineering and production. I can't count how many times this place has had members ask to send their tracks to get mixed by an inspiring engineer. MG does this and he's damn good (but you didn't hear that from me). The mighty Song Fight is a goldmine and can teach and help MANY. Anyway, I love this place as is. But....the times, they are a changin'.
Long Live The Mighty Song Fight!


Why do we need sponsors? What would the community get out of it?

Sell some ad space and it goes to you the owner. Then you can decide how it would benefit the community. Free smart phone apps? Some kind of compensation for the admin/mods? Song Fight Live trips? Charity? Just spit balling here.
User avatar
Billy's Little Trip
Sunshine & Flowers
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics
Location: Cali fucking ornia

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Billy's Little Trip » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Lunkhead wrote:
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I'll just leave this to the mods...at this point.

....by the way. I shall not post in here ever a-gain.


I cleaned up your quintuple post mess, in case you were wondering.

Oh yeah, thanks Lunk. :)
User avatar
Spud
Notable Hylian
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:25 am
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Spud » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 am

and I cleaned up your non-BBCode-enabled quotes. SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
User avatar
jast
Zora
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:03 pm
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: REAPER, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Location: near Aachen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby jast » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:08 am

Might wanna allow BBCode for regular users in this forum so that no further clean-ups like that are necessary. Similarly, allow folks to delete posts (which only means that they can delete their own post if it's the newest post in the thread) and no manual intervention won't be necessary for that, either. While you're at it, feel free to enable smilies, too. Not that it matters.
User avatar
Billy's Little Trip
Sunshine & Flowers
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics
Location: Cali fucking ornia

Re: Easily Link to Song Fight Wiki Articles

Postby Billy's Little Trip » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:28 am

@ Spud. Thank you, fine sir.

@ jast. It might be easier just to ban me from this thread. I seem to be the only tard exposing the weaknesses of this poorly written code. And who needs smileys? Here's a spider. /X\(..)/X\

Return to “Forums”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest