Sept. 8, the day after Sept. 7. 2008

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Sept. 8, the day after Sept. 7. 2008

Post by rone rivendale »

DRC: So I just got done reading all the reports about the WWE PPV last night, Unforgiven. I really wish I had ordered it as it sounded like an awesome show. Raw is going to be a must watch tonight.

QotD: For those of you who watch/have watched wrestling (WWE or otherwise), who is your all time favorite wrestler?

For me, it's the Disco Inferno. He was a 2 time T.V. champion, 1 time Cruiserweight champion, and 2 time Tag champion in WCW back in the mid 90's. He was a pretty decent brawler plus he had a really entertaining gimmick. He wasn't the biggest guy and he never won a world title in WCW or any major federation. And for me, he never needed to. He was the highlight of every show he was in because he made me laugh. He had a short run in TNA in 2003 where he even got a World title shot against Jeff Jarrett. He lost. It's okie. I got over it. :|
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Re: Sept. 8, the day after Sept. 7. 2008

Post by king_arthur »

Hmm, I think the last time I watched wrestling was back when Kenji Shebouya (sp?) was beating up on Pepper Gomez on a weekly basis. That would be, umm, '73 or so... Saturday night, channel 36 from San Jose had the wrestling and the bullfights from Tijuana (which were actually pretty cool to watch, tho' I know not everyone approves).

However, I may be in the market for a new sport to watch pretty soon... the Formula 1 Grand Prix from Belgium yesterday was one of the best races in years, with actual passing for the lead on the last laps... until the stewards announced after the race that they were penalizing the winner (Lewis Hamilton, my guy) 25 seconds, which put him down into third place. The sport seems very, umm, slanted toward a certain Italian team and it's just getting wearisome having the FIA adjust things in their favor again and again. So maybe I'll check out wrestling, see if things are a bit less... manipulated in that sport :-)

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Aardwolves
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aardwolves

Post by Aardwolves »

Rone Rivendale wrote:QotD: For those of you who watch/have watched wrestling (WWE or otherwise), who is your all time favorite wrestler?
Mick Foley in all his many incarnations was my (later) childhood hero. Not only could he take a beating, but he was pretty hilarious, too!
I have a lot of favourites, though... makes me wish modern wrestling wasn't all talk and no action most of the time.
binary solo!
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

QotD: This man.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Rone Rivendale wrote:For me, it's the Disco Inferno. He was a 2 time T.V. champion, 1 time Cruiserweight champion, and 2 time Tag champion in WCW back in the mid 90's. He was a pretty decent brawler plus he had a really entertaining gimmick. He wasn't the biggest guy and he never won a world title in WCW or any major federation. And for me, he never needed to. He was the highlight of every show he was in because he made me laugh. He had a short run in TNA in 2003 where he even got a World title shot against Jeff Jarrett. He lost. It's okie. I got over it. :|
Disqo? Seriously. Your favorite wrestler of all time is Glen Gilberti? Wow. I didn't know there were people who had Disco as a favorite. I figured in the world of favorite wrestlers, Disqo wasn't even an option. Wow.

QotD: "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Roll Call: As mentioned many times, I'm a Saints* fan living in New Hampshire. Things are pretty bleak up here in Patriot Nation, with the loss of Tom Brady for the season. As for me, New Orleans won their first game and looked better than last year, so I'm pretty upbeat. But nobody here wants to discuss it much.

QotD: Andre the Giant, mostly for his work in The Princess Bride. Didn't watch much wrestling. Oh, wait. Fred Blassie was cool too.

*American football
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Niveous wrote:
Rone Rivendale wrote:For me, it's the Disco Inferno. He was a 2 time T.V. champion, 1 time Cruiserweight champion, and 2 time Tag champion in WCW back in the mid 90's. He was a pretty decent brawler plus he had a really entertaining gimmick. He wasn't the biggest guy and he never won a world title in WCW or any major federation. And for me, he never needed to. He was the highlight of every show he was in because he made me laugh. He had a short run in TNA in 2003 where he even got a World title shot against Jeff Jarrett. He lost. It's okie. I got over it. :|
Disqo? Seriously. Your favorite wrestler of all time is Glen Gilberti? Wow. I didn't know there were people who had Disco as a favorite. I figured in the world of favorite wrestlers, Disqo wasn't even an option. Wow.

QotD: "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage.
Acutally Christian is my 2nd favorite. He reeks of awesomeness. I heard WWE wants to resign him and have a major fued with Edge when Edge is healthy again.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, I'm not bummed about Tom "Goldenboy" Brady. I like the Patriots by default, but have no passion for them. A bit more care for the Red Sox, who begin a big series with Tampa tonight. Could be a swapping of first place teams coming up, late in the season. Hoo-wee!

QOTD - I've only peeked at wrestling over the years, maybe for a minute or two every couple of months. But I do occasionally enjoy the over the top personalities. Faves I've remembered include: Chief Jay Strongbow, Bruno Samartino, King Kong Bundy, Jimmy "Superfly" Snooka. I, too, liked Andre the Giant. Something sad about him, but childlike or something.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I'm bummed about Tom Brady because he was my QB in the office Fantasy Football league. Now I get to have the whirlwind season with my new head QB- Brett Favre.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

qotd: My favorite wrestler of all time is Plato.

drc: gah
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

What JimT said:
jimtyrrell wrote: QotD: Andre the Giant, mostly for his work in The Princess Bride. Didn't watch muchany wrestling.
Not sad about Brady, except that I hate to see players get injured. It will be interesting to see what they can do without him. I'm pretty sick of that particular team winning all the time. Of course, I am cheering for another team in their division, the Bills, who kicked ass yesterday. Go special teams!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

jimtyrrell wrote:Roll Call: As mentioned many times, I'm a Saints* fan living in New Hampshire. Things are pretty bleak up here in Patriot Nation, with the loss of Tom Brady for the season. As for me, New Orleans won their first game and looked better than last year, so I'm pretty upbeat. But nobody here wants to discuss it much.

QotD: Andre the Giant, mostly for his work in The Princess Bride. Didn't watch much wrestling. Oh, wait. Fred Blassie was cool too.

*American football
I grew up in New Orleans, so don't take this the wrong way, but..

What in the hell compelled you to be a fan of the Saints?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Wallaby Bob MacMasters.
He went on to be the greatest of ALL the wrestling referees, and then retired and opened the Wallaby Hotel at Mudgeeraba, Queensland. I have been drunk there.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Generic: It was 1996, and I started paying attention to football again because the home team (New England) was in the Superbowl, which happened to be held in the Superdome. The more I learned about the Saints, the more I fell in love with the colorful stories in the team's history. Talk about the ultimate underdog! And when they announced that Ditka was coming in as head coach, I decided to run up the flag. And I guess what started as equal parts rebellion, absurdity, and entertainment eventually became real fandom.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Disco Inferno was one of my favourites too. He wasn't a great wrestler but he was entertaining and that was good enough for me.

1. Mr. Pefect
2. Chris Benoit
3. Keiji Muto
4. Ric Flair
5. Scott Steiner
6. Bam Bam Bigelow
7. Randy Savage
8. Stone Cold Steve Austin
9. William Regal
10. Arn Anderson

I did see Unforgiven but I didn't think it was a good show. Then tonight I saw the most recent NOAH show featuring a great fucking match between Kensuke Sasaki and Takeshi Morishima which made up for it.

The main event of Unforgiven was embarrassing. Early in the match Batista had JBL in the figure four and JBL had nothing to lose by submitting because Punk was the champion at that point, but he put up with it for a couple of minutes then got to the ropes, but the ref didn't break the hold because theres no rope breaks. Then Batista just let go of the hold. Later in the match someone tried to pin JBL, whose arm was under the rope but the ref still wasn't allowing rope breaks so he counted the pin, then JBL put his foot on the rope and that was a rope break. Kane pinned JBL to become champion, and while he was champion he still tried to pin Batista, the ref still counted, and Batista still kicked out. No one knew what they were doing.

At the end of the Smackdown match, Jeff Hardy was the champion and Triple H went for a pin on MVP. Jeff turned around and saw this but instead of breaking up the pin he tried his own pin on Shelton Benjamin, even though he was already the champion. Triple H got the pin on MVP and won the match. This new concept did not work.

Then they had Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels, where Shawn Michaels came out of retirement because he wanted to beat the shit out of Jericho but he would go to jail unless it was in a sanctioned wrestling match. Then they have an unsanctioned fight at the pay per view. Don't know how that works.

The Undertaker attempted to murder Vickie Guerrero during the show. When Big Show protected her Jim Ross was appalled. Apparently preventing a murder is unacceptable in WWE.

Kensuke vs. Morishima was amazing.

Here it is on youtube:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXU5LN7jHd4 part 1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKfM2G1aVs part 2
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VsTefWhW7u8 part 3
Last edited by Denyer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

QotD: Cactus Jack will get you high tonight...

::dances around like Tatanka::
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jimtyrrell wrote:QotD: Andre the Giant, mostly for his work in The Princess Bride.
Recently saw a bio program on Andre the Giant. Amazing man overcoming and living with enormous issues on a daily, constant basis. A heart in proportion with his body.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face