Songfight Radio?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Songfight Radio?

Post by NeilThrun »

Ive got a suggestion. Get songfight radio up again. Or at least tell me it is working and my cpu is fucked up.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Re: Songfight Radio?

Post by Bjam »

That'd be cool. Gimme something to listen to. (One of my study hall teachers used to let me put on somesongs or SF radio in class. Very awesome.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I've got a suggestion for you, Neil. Stump up the cash if it means that much to you.

Blue gave us SF Radio out of his own pocket for a long time, and until such time he chooses to / can afford to do it again, surly adolescence is not particularly attractive.

j$
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

I wasn't aware of the circumstances. I apologize if I sounded rude or blunt in my previous post.
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Where can I send a check?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Tony Asbestos wrote:Where can I send a check?
Well...you can start by sending one here: leaf@gicable.com

Any amount will do.

Of course, I have nothing to do with SF radio... but don't let that stop you Tony.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'm willing to help make this happen ya'll. I've stressed interest in it before. The hard part is hosting the songs and uploading them. I believe I can 'borrow' the slight bandwidth and space to make it happen. The only catch being that I may not decide to work here forever and at some point the songs may not get updated or something.

Eitherway... I'd need education on the matter. I'm not sure what all it involves.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

I loved SongFight radio and would be very happy to see it return.

I have a suggestion that I want to make. I make it very humbly since 1) I have no idea if it's feasible, 2) if it is, it will likely involve lots of work and 3) I have no skills to contribute: Can the number of votes a song got in the Fight determine the likelihood that it is played on the Radio?
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

The idea of weighing the playlist according to votes is interesting, but here are a couple of drawbacks:

You would really have to think hard about the weighting because given a weighting system based on absolute numbers of votes or even on percentage of votes, songfight radio would instantly turn into the 24/7 MC Hawking's "What We Need More of Is Science" channel. And it's a pretty good song but not nearly the best song on songfight and not nearly worth listening to all day and night. It just simply had 270 votes for it (which I believe is the largest number I've ever seen).

It sort of goes against the libertarian sense of the community, too, to do something like that, so I'm not convinced it's a good idea even if it was technically easy. But it's definitely an interesting thought.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Worse yet, who would want 750 Diamond Flat Toothpicks in heavy rotation?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

But we can all agree that Lightning Ear Fart's entries could perhaps be mysteriously absent from the playlist? ;)
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Leaf, do you take PayPal?
I wrote and recorded a theme song for songfight radio (Which will be on my CD, out soon) but it folded before I could submit it. We need to weight this thing. Not so that some songs are never played, but just that the better ones are played more often.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Re: Songfight Radio?

Post by drë »

NeilThrun wrote:Ive got a suggestion. Get songfight radio up again. Or at least tell me it is working and my cpu is fucked up.
<a href="http://adserver.blaststream.com:1102" target="_new">Songfight.org Temp Radio - A short term solution to a NOT so big problem</a>

<a href="http://adserver.blaststream.com:1102/listen.pls"> listen now </a>