SF App?

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

SF App?

Post by Reist »

I know we have some tech-savvy guys here at SF, so I've got a little concept for your consideration.

Would it be possible to develop a simple, free for download app (for the apple app store) where the user can download the week's songs directly onto the iPod, see the week's next title and browse the archives in a mobile friendly fashion? I realize that SF can be accessed through safari, but that doesn't show up in the app store or increase the likelihood of finding more users/possible competitors.

I think it would be good for music promotion, as there are probably loads of people searching for half decent music apps on the app store, and one that promises free downloadable music each week would seem pretty promising in comparison to some of the garbage free music apps out there. It would probably give people more incentive to enter in the contest too, as the SF audience is likely to expand through a free app over time.

What do you think? Is it worth the effort? Or even ... is it a legitimate possibility? I don't know how difficult app development is, but I think it's a pretty simple concept that could be beneficial to the community.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: SF App?

Post by ujnhunter »

If I ever get a Mac (which is needed to develop iPhone apps) I'd be happy to make some sort of SF! app (with permission of course). But downloading the songs to the iPhone is not possible. Apple controls how you can get music onto your iPhone, and that control is iTunes.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

ujnhunter wrote:But downloading the songs to the iPhone is not possible. Apple controls how you can get music onto your iPhone, and that control is iTunes.
Hmmm. That kind of sucks balls.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Reïst wrote:That kind of sucks balls.
This is Apple we're talking about, what did you expect?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

iPhone or other mobiles, here's my knee-jerk reaction: I doubt there's broad appeal to download thrown-together Song Fight songs, outside of the participants. People like professionally produced songs, and even in the indie/home recording vain they want fully produced music (composition, lyric, production, etc.). I would totally be into that. Something like a Somesongs app would be much more appealing, especially with the "top rated" lists. I used to burn a "top rated of the month" CD periodically and it typically had 80% really good stuff on it. That would hold peoples attention far better than Song Fight.
Last edited by roymond on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jast wrote:
Reïst wrote:That kind of sucks balls.
This is Apple we're talking about, what did you expect?
As opposed to those dozens of platforms that do support free wireless downloads...

iPhones do support direct downloads of podcasts, btw.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

roymond wrote:Something like a Somesongs app would be much more appealing, especially with the "top rated" lists. I used to burn a "top rated of the month" CD periodically and it typically had 80% really good stuff on it. That would hold peoples attention far better than Song Fight.
I hadn't really considered that, but I think you're right. A monthly top rated list would be great. How would podcasts work into that? (I don't know much about podcasts)

ps - I think something like this could help with the overdue revitalization of somesongs. Some of the songs on the frontpage are months old.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Reïst wrote:
roymond wrote:Something like a Somesongs app would be much more appealing, especially with the "top rated" lists. I used to burn a "top rated of the month" CD periodically and it typically had 80% really good stuff on it. That would hold peoples attention far better than Song Fight.
I hadn't really considered that, but I think you're right. A monthly top rated list would be great. How would podcasts work into that? (I don't know much about podcasts)
ps - I think something like this could help with the overdue revitalization of somesongs. Some of the songs on the frontpage are months old.
Well, someone is working on revitalizing somesongs, and it looks great. Not sure what the timeline is. From there it's trivial to create feeds for top-rated lists, genres, even custom feeds per user, such as favorite artists, friends, etc.. And attracting more talent and attention would be an awesome thing.