SF in SF: 2010

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

SF in SF: 2010

Post by fluffy »

So, at SFL in Spokane, there was some talk about making #10 happen back where it all began in San Francisco.

My understanding is that the original venue (The Accordion, née Hot Lunch) has closed down, but being San Francisco there are plenty of venues around. At one point I was in contact with the Queen's Nails Gallery, which has hosted such things as Thing-A-Day In The Bay (which our own Jonathan Mann participated in), and they were interested in the concept. For one of the SF Tours we did a show at the Space Gallery, which was also rather excellent (and they have a full bar) although they might be a bit small for us. I've also been thinking about maybe even going all-out and contacting the famous DNA Lounge, although that might be a bit big and hard for us to fill sufficiently, unless we manage to sucker MC Frontalot into coming (seeing as how he's the one who started the whole SFL thing).

I know we don't normally start thinking about this until April or so but I think that #10 is enough of a landmark that we should plan earlier, so it can be extra-special.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SF in SF: 2010

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote: I know we don't normally start thinking about this until April or so
Weren't we talking about the one in Spokane for like a year and a half before it happened?

Anyway, waiting until April to even start discussing it probably wouldn't have been feasible anyway, since I (and, I assume, others) would need at least 90 days advance notice to request the time off from work and buy my plane tickets. If it winds up being held in June, for instance, I would need to know the exact dates no later than March.

So yes, let's discuss. :)

Who's the organizer for this one? Someone told me it would be Ken, but I wasn't sure if Ken knew that yet, so let's clarify.

For the record. I've got three weeks paid time off per year at my current job, where I've just been hired as a permanent employee, and I also just got a promotion and raise. Therefore, I hereby commit to attending SFLX, regardless of the date selected or locale.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I will do my best to attend this. But don't let that stop anyone else.

BLT: If I'm there, so are you. Ahem.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Generic wrote:Who's the organizer for this one? Someone told me it would be Ken, but I wasn't sure if Ken knew that yet, so let's clarify.
I think there's enough 'fighters around here that for once it doesn't have to fall to a single person.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: BLT: If I'm there, so are you. Ahem.
Well, if Paco and BLT are there, then.....

well, maybe it's a bit ambitious to plan another US trip so soon, but - it is on the right side of the continent (ie. the left side) and SFO is a direct flight, and I do have a lot of Frequent Flier points again....I may just need to keep track of my Good Husband Points balance
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Yes.

We will be forming a planning committee soon.

I suspect we will shoot for a little earlier than usual next year.

I hope everyone will be able to attend.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

won't miss it.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

July 17 - August 8 are out for me.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Epiphone Electric Guitar, Ibanez Acoustic/Electric, Casio/Yamaha Electric piano, Yamaha DD-65 Drums
Recording Method: Garage Band, Blue Snowball, Griffin Line In Cable, hopes and dreams
Submitting as: LML

Post by LML »

I might be able to do this. If I figured out what crap I needed to bring I could perform a couple songs. If anyone wanted to see me anyway.
LML: As heard on Guantanamo Bay Radio.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

There are lots of locals, so I don't think you'll need to worry about a shortage of instruments to play.

Also, you'll probably be able to recruit others to be your backing band, if you don't want to be a solo act.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

6/9 - 6/16 may be OUT for me. Just FYI.

Hey Ken, the sooner we figure out a date the better, IMO.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jb wrote: Hey Ken, the sooner we figure out a date the better, IMO.

JB
Ditto.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

Is it worth starting a thread for people to throw out good/bad dates? I know that not everyone will be good with all available dates, but it might be good to know if any one week is overwhelmingly good or bad for a large number of people.

For what it's worth, pretty much everything is good for me EXCEPT June 19-26.
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
==========================================
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

For me, June 25-27 and a few days on one end or the other (I don't know which end yet) is bad.

Oh, and the week containing June 11/12 would be GOOD because my dad will be in town but BAD because I'd be unavailable for practicing/logistical support/etc. on the 10th.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey fluffy, check this out!

maybe you can check this place out since it seems to be in your hood. or follow up with the guy.

here's another possibility on Valencia.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Both sound interesting and viable. Club 6ix is actually in SoMA across from the Tenderloin, and Intersection for the Arts is in the Mission, and conveniently right by one BART stop away from me (both are actually very close to BART). I'll send them both an email asking for more information and availability.

There's also a few clubs in my neighborhood that I've been meaning to look into. I'd previously communicated with the curator of the queen's nails gallery who was interested in Song Fight, and then there's The Knockout and Argus Lounge which are both more traditional bars/clubs although their schedules are much more booked. My literal next-door neighbor SoCha Cafe would also be good if we decide to have an "acoustic afternoon" like we did back in Boston.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

So here's an idea that I brought up for the Santa Cruz shows, but we never did anything with (mostly due to time and practice constraints)......

If the Live show is spread out over 2 days again, i'll assume that will be a weekend. Let's say shows are scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights, or if there is only one evening show I assume it would be targeted for Saturday night. Every Saturday morning/afternoon, there is a huge mass of people that come down to the Ferry Building for the Saturday farmer's market. If there are any plans for an "acoustic" type part of the weekend, I'd say people should try to organize a "group busk" somewhere close to the Ferry Building, either right on Market St. or maybe in the Embarcadero plaza somewhere. It would be free to do, and it could generate some local buzz (maybe even make the news) and bring people to the show (if that's what is desired).

just an idea. it would cost nothing except the artists time, and they could even open a guitar case and make some drinkin money for later!
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

also, i would gladly go see a Giants game with anyone wanting to go if they are playing that weekend.
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jack wrote: If the Live show is spread out over 2 days again, i'll assume that will be a weekend. Let's say shows are scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights, or if there is only one evening show I assume it would be targeted for Saturday night. Every Saturday morning/afternoon, there is a huge mass of people that come down to the Ferry Building for the Saturday farmer's market. If there are any plans for an "acoustic" type part of the weekend, I'd say people should try to organize a "group busk" somewhere close to the Ferry Building, either right on Market St. or maybe in the Embarcadero plaza somewhere. It would be free to do, and it could generate some local buzz (maybe even make the news) and bring people to the show (if that's what is desired).
That's a terrific idea! Count me in!

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I love the group busking idea. That's something I've wanted to do on a smaller scale, but never had the wherewithal to organize. Is it really a free-for-all at Fisherman's Wharf? At BART you're supposed to get a permit first (although I suspect most people don't).
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

actually, there is an area at the end of the Hyde street cable car line at the turnaround, where street performers hang out which could be a possibility. it's also got tons of tourists and a nice view. no permit needed for street performers.

there's a really nice little grassy park between the embarcadero center and the ferry building (justin herman park) which I would recommend. here's a pic of part of it.

the drawback to the wharf idea is it's on the other side of the city from the mission. justin herman park is down the street from the mission. also, the wharf's crowd is almost all tourists. the ferry building/embarcadero will be almost all locals.

also, if there is a ball game that day, the walking esplanade that goes around the waterfront to the ballpark is another nice option. would get lots of baseball fan traffic, as well as the regular jog/bike/walk crowd.

all of these are actually pretty good options.

another would be golden gate park. maybe the bandshell?

this would have been the best choice if it was still in the panhandle. I think Ken and friends played there once.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hell yeah I'd love to play at Golden Gate Park. What has to happen to make that happen though?