SF in SF: 2010

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Epiphone Electric Guitar, Ibanez Acoustic/Electric, Casio/Yamaha Electric piano, Yamaha DD-65 Drums
Recording Method: Garage Band, Blue Snowball, Griffin Line In Cable, hopes and dreams
Submitting as: LML

Re: SF in SF: 2010

Post by LML »

Since I have relatives in San Fran, doing this might be feasible. Just depends on if I can gather up the funds and if I'll have time off.
LML: As heard on Guantanamo Bay Radio.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey, here's another possibility for the live show. not sure who's organizing this and stuff, but looks viable.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh, thanks for the reminder, I never got around to contacting any of the other venues. I suck.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

So.. hey. We're getting to the point where people need to make arrangements. Plane tickets, etc. Who's driving this thing? Can I help in any way?
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'm with the *bump* on this thread.

I've been caught up in two bands for the last 3 or 4 years and I'm finally getting back into Songfight! again.

I'm excited about a trip to San Fransisco on top of that. It's a city I've always wanted to visit and now I can do that and see my favorite Songfight! brethren.

Let me know if there is anything I can do?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Settling on a date would be fab.

I'm available all summer except for June 11-13. If it fell on that weekend, I would, with much sadness, have to send my regrets.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

hey, is anyone any closer to doing anything about any of this?

i know that's alot of anys......just curious. a date would be a good start to plan around.
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jack wrote:hey, is anyone any closer to doing anything about any of this?

i know that's alot of anys......just curious. a date would be a good start to plan around.
Yes please. If we don't get a date by the end of March, you're going to have to move me from "definitely" to "maybe."

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I keep meaning to ask around at various venues but I keep forgetting. I have the organizational skills of a cat, and I've never done this sort of thing before.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I finally got around to sending queries to Argus Lounge and The Knockout, and even going for the big time with DNA Lounge.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Cool. I'm talking with Brava Theater about having it there. It may all come down to whether or not we can afford it, but I'm waiting to hear what the cost might be.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

So far the only response I've gotten has been from DNA Lounge; unless we can get an audience of at least 200 each night it just won't be cost-effective. So that's probably out of the question.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Thanks for contacting those folks. I have yet to hear back about Brava yet, but I'm hopeful.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Huh, Black Box Theater looks perfect. Presumably we'd have to provide our own audio gear though, and knowing San Francisco there's probably permit requirements. But I'll send them an inquiry, sure.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I just emailed The Actors Center, explaining that we're probably more like performance art than a traditional concert (because, well, we are) and that it's really more like a private gathering.

CounterPULSE looks incredibly expensive. Their base quote looks like it'd be around $1450 for the weekend, and that's for only 3 hours of show time per night. I'd like to defer on that one.

Club 6ix doesn't have any rental rates posted on their site, but they also look like a fairly big venue.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for smaller venues that are likely to not be booked to heck and back. I've definitely preferred the Song Fight shows at the more atypical and intimate places - Church of the Friendly Ghost, that community center in Boston, and the Cayuga Vault, for example - and I know there's lots of places like that around here (hell, I've never been to Hot Lunch/Accordion/whateverthey'recallednow but I got the distinct impression they were like that as well). Space Gallery (one of the tour stops a couple years ago) was also a fun show but I have a feeling we'd be too big for them.

I'm a bit annoyed that neither Argus nor The Knockout ever got back to me. Both of those spaces look like they'd be perfect. Oh, but that reminds me, I should also try contacting El Rio (if I can make heads or tails of their booking requirements). They're another neighborhood joint which is all about this sort of stuff. Also, Nap's.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I have VERY GOOD NEWS.

The Actors Center (one of the places Jack found on Craigslist) schedule is wide-open, and they are fine with us doing a musical performance there, and also renting the space for practice purposes and so on. Their only restrictions are that we can't be too loud during business hours, since there's an office upstairs, but for the show itself, Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday are both perfectly fine. We would have to be mindful of noise ordinances, though, since it's a residential neighborhood (meaning anything particularly loud would probably have to happen before 10 PM).

Their booking schedule is right here, so if this is the way we want to go, we should decide what dates to go for so that we can book it as soon as possible.

The place is at Capp and 17th, which is very close to BART and there's generally a decent amount of parking available if you know where to look (as well as paid lots). There are also a lot of really good bars nearby, including the excellent Benders.

The only thing that really concerns me is that the venue is a bit small (I think it seats 40 or thereabouts - it's intended for rehearsals, not performances), and it's not a bar or restaurant so presumably alcohol would only be allowed if we got a banquet permit or the like. Also we'd have to do our own sound, door, etc.

Ken mentioned that he's looking into Brava, which is a much larger venue, but probably also much more expensive. Between the two I'd definitely prefer Brava, but we're basically guaranteed to get into The Actors Center and to be able to afford it.

Obviously before we make any decisions, those of us in the area should take some time to visit both venues (and any others that turn up in the meantime). Any weekend is good for me.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey guys, what's going on?

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I'd like to know too!

The Actors Center venue is good to go if we need it. Ken, what's the latest on Brava?

What dates work for everyone? So we know what to commit to?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

June is too early.
July works for me.
August doesn't.
September is difficult, and
October is really nice in NYC so screw that.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:I'd like to know too!

The Actors Center venue is good to go if we need it. Ken, what's the latest on Brava?

What dates work for everyone? So we know what to commit to?
June is too early for me, unless you wanna do the last weekend in June. July is probably okay. August and September are definitely okay. For me, Songfight is pretty high up on the priority list, so I'll be willing and able to plan the rest of my life around this trip, as long as a date is settled-upon relatively soon. If I don't get about 10 weeks' notice, I may be unable shuffle things about in a timely enough manner.

Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Late July is best for me. August is ok. June is right out. I'm going to be on a family (yes, with my mom and dad) vacation late May.

In related news, I want to get out of the 'drive' with them from NC to OH so I'm trying to find an excuse to fly from Ashville to Toledo on May 17th. To avoid driving through the rest of Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and just about all of Ohio, then up to Michigan after that. With my folks. And my chatty grandmother.