Gah! She kicked me in the (Tri-State Area reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle
Pronouns: he/him

Gah! She kicked me in the (Tri-State Area reviews)

Post by TVsKyle »

--and never retracted her foot.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

I know! I suck!

I'll try next week!
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

reviews

brice henry - should have waited at least a bar for that wah solo man... barely gives you time to associate yourself with the song. voice is pretty ugly, i like the chorus momentum - would like to hear a choir or something helping it along. not a vote, but decent effort.

cow exchange - this is awesome. i really dont like the absurd twinkie references, they get stale. you sound like you have a good career of scoring the next chuck e cheese ad. maybe go-gurt. well made and everything yada yada

idiot K's - songfight is pretty great when you see this song right after cow exchange's. simple late stone temple pilot fuzzery. no one can hear what you are saying (mine is worse, i know). eh, its alright. the krautrock meets alt-rock blandness runs way dry.

liechty - i made this entire song while laying down on my bed, i am so sick now. sucks so hard. basically so sick.

the midiots - SIDs rule. usually they are more fun than this dull-fest. way boring. look more into the HVSC for inspiration.

poor june - wonder why this title evoked so much droning? atmospheric effect done nicely (but just a little too patchy). way too boring for its length

southwest statistic - been listening to Phoenix lately? that soft vocoded effect could stand to be less prominent. good epic pop... just stretch your voice higher (and layer) and clean that piano up so that its not so software-y. possible vote despite the cheesyness and genre bias - just the most interesting so far.

sven M - hahah when i heard that pick slide i laughed out loud. hahah there it is again. this is quite possibly the most uninspired song ive ever heard. hahahaha that slide is hilarious - i hope this is a joke.

television's K - i REALLY want to hear you and cow exchange team up on a cover of the Rugrats theme song. then whoever listens to that song with instantly turn into a toddler. man. i cant get into this.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Liechty wrote:reviews

sven M - hahah when i heard that pick slide i laughed out loud. hahah there it is again. this is quite possibly the most uninspired song ive ever heard. hahahaha that slide is hilarious - i hope this is a joke.
Do you think a guy who calls himself Sven Mullet on songfight would submit 'serious' songs?

haha now that that's out of the way haha considering how much COCK your 'song' sucked, you've got a lot of balls dissing everyone else's music. haha
* this is not a disclaimer
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

i agree my song sucked.

dont get mad dude, just an internet review.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

The Cow Exchange- I could do without the sped-up voices, but other than that, Kyle likey... but then, this sounds like something almost specifically made for me to like it. The accordion sounds really Drew Carey intro-music ish. You a Logan Whitehurst fan? Let's us get together and do a cover of the Rugrats theme!

The Idiot Kings- Turn up the drums a little. Turn up the vox a lot. Sorry, but this is boring me to tears. Needs some sort of hook.

Sven Mullet- Eh. The percussion is too tinny and quiet to be effective. Good guitar playing, but I need something to latch onto.

Brice Henry- The lo-fi of the intro is fun. This isn't terrible, but it's a bit repetative. Writing in your range or bringing in a guest-singer would've been preferable to singing it yourself off-key. Having said all that, I'm interested in hearing more from you in the future. I wanna see where this is going.

Liechty- Don't make songs when you're ill.

Midiots- Reminds me a little of that "Warm Letherette" song from way-back-when. Also a little of Barnes & Barnes' "Salvation is Linoleum". This sounds more like album bridging material than a full song. Kinda fun, though. You're another one I'll keep an eye on.

Southwest Statistic- A little too "programmed" for me. Singing's good. A little tinny. The song itself ain't so bad.

Poor June- I... don't know how to review this.

My vote goes to Cow Exchange, which will probably surprise no one.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Liechty wrote:i agree my song sucked.

Just an internet review. Just a CBS news report. Just a mis-hit that cost a million dollars at the local bank. Just a couple of uncounted Chads (I'm not sure of this statement - as I think the American people may not either). Think of Iraq man!!!! :twisted:
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

tonetripper wrote:

Just an internet review. Just a CBS news report. Just a mis-hit that cost a million dollars at the local bank. Just a couple of uncounted Chads (I'm not sure of this statement - as I think the American people may not either). Think of Iraq man!!!! :twisted:
OH MY GOD. ::speechless::

hahah think of Iraq, no relevance whatsoever - JUST THINK ABOUT IT.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

If you give bad reviews, the terrorists win.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

tonetripper wrote:

ToneTripper, you're neat!
Last edited by Adam! on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

ahh must've been a canadian thing. i didn't understand any of that.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Oh sweet I forgot to send my song in.
amatulic
A New Player

Post by amatulic »

Man this was a hard one to vote on. For me it was a 3-way tie between Sven Mullet, TVsKyle, and Idiot King. Ended up voting for Kyle because his song sounded like he was having the most fun with it. Musically, I liked Idiot King -- I liked the somewhat U2 sound of it. Can't put my finger on exactly what it was about Sven's that I liked but it kept my attention.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Just my opinions and first-listen reactions...

BRICE HENRY: ouch; I don't think I like any of the individual
instrument sounds on this... the I-II-IV-V chord pattern gets
very repetitive very quickly. I can _hear_ the vocals but the
music is interfering with me actually listening to them.

THE COW EXCHANGE: cute approach; the music is goofy, but that's
what's called for. Definitely something I'll enjoy listening to
again: keeperville.

THE IDIOT KINGS: the vocals are just fading out to nothing for
me... I like the instrumental track, but it seems like it needs
the melody (vocal) to be stronger to make it something more than
just a I-IV jam. I like this one more than many of your other
songs, but for me, it's lacking that central something that gets
my attention and pulls me through the song...

LIECHTY: no, this just doesn't appeal to me at all...

THE MIDIOTS: nor does this, though I can sort of imagine that
this would have an appeal for some...

POOR JUNE: transition between first and second verses felt kinda
jerky to me... whole thing is too repetitive and... I dunno, the
term that comes to mind is that it's too "sunken into itself" for me.

SOUTHWEST STATISTIC: mix seems a lot trebly. I like the song,
but it seemed like the lyric was a little predictable or
something... "you accepted my proposition" seemed like it was
there 'cause it rhymed, but you could've come up with something
more clever there. I don't care for the overautotuned distorted
vocals, but I guess that's where music is at these days. Keeper,
on the basis of it being a fairly well written song, but work on
making the mix a bit less brittle for future songs, okay???

SVEN MULLET: everybody else in this fight, give a listen to how
Sven puts the vocal out there in front, even though there's plenty
of instruments going on as well. "hiding those who got in the way"
phrasing is a little uncomfortable, maybe if you sang it "hiding
those... who got in the way" with "got" falling on the 1 beat so
that "way" falls on the 3 beat... 'specially since that line is
repeated so much in the middle of the song. Keeper.

TV'S KYLE: another goofy arrangement that works 'cause it fits
the lyric. I liked this more and more as it went on. Keeper.
This could also make a very fun video.

Voting for Kyle; Cow Exchange was funny, but Kyle's was "heartwarming"
funnier; Southwest Statistic, the overall mix cost you a few points
in the sudden death overtime, as did that offbeat phrase in the middle
of Sven's...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

I do not understand why everyone has not fallen to their knees worshiping that which is the Cow Exchange. That was like, the best song ever. I nearly pooped myself with glee. I made my girlfriend listen to it. I made my cat listen to it. I wrote my brother about it. I wanted to share the glory with the masses.
-- reve mosquito.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Idiot Kings....I totally love your tune this week, very jesus and mary chain. fuck all these people that think it's boring, this is great, very subtle builds and drops dynamically, and great wall of sound. but man, this is way overcompressed. i really wish the tracks had more breathing room on this but i love the tune. any chance of opening up the mix a little?
Hi!
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

It's probably not kosher to ask, but I'm not Jewish so I will. (No offense intended to those of Hebrew heritage BTW, just trying to be humorous and most likley failing) My entry was late, but I would like to try and get some feedback anyway. Anyone interested in providing any can download it @ http://www.loco-mojo.com/mp3/danofromfi ... tearea.mp3 I'll be posting my reviews in a bit.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

If you do listen to the song BTW try ignore the last 20 seconds or so of silence. It's a wonder I've made the leap from analog to digital at all.
JB
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

If you leave a review for us, I could be convinced to return the favor.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

One line Reviews.

Post by tonetripper »

Liechty - Sounds kind of like a badly recorded Portishead coverband with a guy for a lead singer instead of a woman.

Midiots - Dark, redundant, not as good Art of Noise (A band I quite liked).

Poor June - Reverb mic feedback sets a mood with the lazy stoned voice nicely, although kinda long.

Southwest Statistic - I'm a sucker for this kind of straight ahead well done pop rock music with a hook for the title. 8)

Sven Mullet - Don't dig the drum sounds and the passion seems non-existent although the guitar stuff in the middle with the reprise makes it worth it.

TV's Kyle - I can imagine the seas of children swaying back and forth playing vaious handed out instruments, pulling Suzie's hair with you in your Cartoon suit on singing this song. 8)

Brice Henry - Like a not as good Lou Reed but more funny. :lol:

The Cow Exchange - Awesome twinkie jazzy children's education music!! 8)

The Idiot Kings - Valley Girl anniversary music reminds me big time of Bad by U2 with Filter and Jesus and Mary Chain.

Cow Exchange hands down.
The Anonymous Reviewer
A New Player

Post by The Anonymous Reviewer »

The Cow Exchange
Kind of Phish meets They Might Be Giants. Sort of silly song but excellent production. I like all the various instrumentation. Very Original.

Joseph Liechty
I'm not sure why I like this but I do. It's sort of hypnotic and trancelike. I could see this playing somewhere in a David Lynch movie.

The Midiots
I think I like your name better than I like your song.

Southwest Statistic
Very nice! When everything comes in, the mix is kind of wacky, pan-wise. I'm not big on the doubled vocals being hard panned during the chorus. I really like the vocals though. The arrangement is a bit tired and cliche but you work it pretty well. This could be the next big breakthrough emorock hit.

Sven Mullet
This is also pretty well produced. I really like your singing. The guitars seem to overpower everything, but they are well played. The bridge seems a little disjointed but otherwise, interesting and well played. The buildup out of the bridge seems pretty long. I think i'd like this better if you dropped the third verse and ended with the long outro out of the bridge. But that's just me. I enjoyed this song. Nice job.

TV's Kyle
I think I like your idea better than the way you pulled it off. It was ambitious, and I think you did well, but I also think it's busy, hard to follow, annoying in parts. I certainly respect the work and effort that went into this. I just think the Cow Exchange did it a little better this week.

Poor June
See the above review. Sorry, doesn't do much for me.

Brice Henry
The intro seemed sort of wanky and self indulgent, and a bit too long. The hard panning on the rest of the mix isn't impressing me much. It's obvious you have some musical talent. Needs better panning management. Song is pretty repetitive and droning, especially with the heavy gained barre chord slides and monotone vocals. Ok, the wanky lead outro seals it. Yes, at least you had the sensibility to pull on that tremelo one last time.

The Idiot Kings
I really love this. Has a Cure sort of feel to it. Really nicely produced and played. Has a full band sound. Excellent

I'd have to say that Cow Exchange was my favorite. Followed by The Idiot Kings and Sven Mullet.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Brice Henry: This reminds me of the stuff I used to come up with when I had my first 4 track. In a lot of ways I miss that thing, because it forced me to maximize my tracks and be creative much like this. This also reminds me of when I first learned how to play slide, and when I first started singing. I would vamp like you did on the end of this song. I guess I should remind you that it does get better from here. Keep after it, better days are ahead.

Cow Exchange: Your stuff is always in the keeper group for me. I’m almost glad my entry was late because I cringed when I saw you were in this fight. I envy guys that write like you do, very clever, intelligent, funny, and musically talented. Is music just easier to write if you know how to play piano or what? Anyway, this song is a clever take on the title, well written, well played, and as usual, well produced.

Idiot Kings: My main gripe about this is the vocals being too far back in the mix. I know it’s already been said, but it’s accurate. It’s a shame because the vocalist is talented. The guitar sound isn’t my favorite but it’s good for this song. Like the guitar, everything just sounds like it’s been modeled or isn’t a real instrument. Don’t get me wrong, I do that too I just try to make a conscious effort to make everything sound as real as possible. Enough mix talk, I like this song. I just wish it had a better hook to make me love it.

Leichty: Hmm. My mother always told me if I didn’t have anything nice to say, I shouldn’t say anything at all. The guitar sounding riff is kind of cool in a James Bond kind of way. Uh…….I hope you’re feeling better.

Midiots: My Father used to make sure we listened to my mother’s previous suggestions about saying only nice things by employing a more threatening approach. So with somewhat trembling hands I’ll say, this is different from what I normally would listen to. I’m also happy for you that you know how to use your gear and that you could get this in on time. Hey I also just thought of another name for your band. You could call yourselves the Casiots.

Poor June: This contains a lot more angst then I took from the title, but that’s what makes this competition so cool, everyone’s individual interpretation on the title. I really hate to focus on the mix but I can’t help but feel like that’s what’s keeping me from enjoying this more. There’s a good premise here, I just don’t think it gets to where to it could have gone with a little more work, and some better equipment.

Southwest Statistic: This is well written and produced song. It’s catchy and the musicianship is pretty good.

However, upon further review. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Is this a Josh Woodward entry under a different name? This voice and production sounds very familiar to me. If it is, I would recommend the same things I did the last time I reviewed a song of his. Stick with the coffee shop stuff kid, because your electric guitar tone sucks. Maybe it’s not. Naw, screw that, I think it’s Josh. Enjoy your life as it is now kid, because when reality sets in and you have to get a job and that new wife of yours wants kids you’ll be lucky to get 40 songs done the rest of your life, let alone in 2004. If it’s not Josh, I’m sorry I broke my mom’s rule regarding saying nice things.

Sven Mullet: Wow, this is a darker take on the song than I would have ever guessed. I will say if you’re drawing from any personal experiences AT ALL to write this, see you Doctor immediately. I don’t really like all the compression on the guitars but if it’s the tone you were going for, congratulations you found it. I just read what I’ve written so far and even though it may sound like I don’t like this song, there are some parts that I do like. The singing is pretty good. The playing and writing is competent and structured, but the story is a little to dark for me. I’m not naïve, I know you could have pulled this straight off of the Nightly News, but that doesn’t mean I give up the right to change the channel if I don’t like the content.

TV’s Kyle: If you look at what I wrote about Cow Exchange's song, you could almost cut and paste it here. You would need to delete the parts about this being a clever take on the title, well written, well played, and well produced. And then you would need to remove any hint of envy I had, and the part that your stuff is always a keeper for me. You could however keep the part about my cringing when I saw you were in this fight. Hey, you know my favorite thing on TV? Comedy, and I’m just kidding here. This is a pretty good and funny little song.
JB