Music Archive

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Music Archive

Post by ken »

The BeWells show 15 entries, but list only 1 for the Bewells. Something isn't right.

http://songfight.org/artistpage.php?key=bewells

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Oops, this is my fault I'm sure for not being consistent...

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints
Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints

Please standardize on one... I'd prefer the & but either is fine. Thanks!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Niveous wrote:
BBABM wrote: however, both links go to "Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs" and so only half my songs are on there.
There are a couple of bands with that same problem like BLT & Paco; The Booty Chesterfield Trio; and Chonny (there's a whole bunch). Something about merging the two names doesn't merge the two lists of songs.
I can see how people might expect the code to consolidate band names with different capitalization. But how is it supposed to know that "Booty Chesterfield Trio" is the same as "The Booty Chesterfield Trio"? OK, maybe I'll give you that one too, but "Billy's Little Trip feat. Paco", "Billy's Little Trip featuring Paco Del Stinko", and "Billy's Little Trip with guest star Paco" are different names. That's all there is to it.

I grab the band name out of the emails. I do not check for consistency with the last time you submitted. If you insist on typing it different every time, I only going to go in and fix it every six months or so, which is what I have been doing. Today, I fixed all the instances mentioned in this thread.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

So I worked my way through the symbols, numbers, and the letters A and B today and fixed:

2dogs vs. 2 Dogs
@eclectic spOOns vs. @eclecticspOOns
The Anarchaeologists vs. The Anarcheologists
Authors Of vs. authors of
Big Matt Hyatt and His Rusty Red Ryders vs. Big Matt Hyatt and his Rusty Red Ryders
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Spud wrote:OK, maybe I'll give you that one too, but "Billy's Little Trip feat. Paco", "Billy's Little Trip featuring Paco Del Stinko", and "Billy's Little Trip with guest star Paco" are different names. That's all there is to it.
This may be too much work/change at this point, but those sorts of things could be addressed by having not just one artist name for a song but also a "sub-artist" name. It would be kind of like how some mailing address forms have "Street Address 1:" and "Street Address 2:" in case you need to enter both "123 Main St." and "Suite 300" and want them on separate lines. Going back and changing all the current entries to conform to whatever new data format there would be for that would be painful, but it might be a nice thing for the future that could help keep the archive tidy. It's probably not worth adding that to the existing system, though. Save that for the total rewrite. ;)
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That's what the "see also" section is for, I thought.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

It looks like "See Also" applies at an artist level, to link artists together. I was thinking more about at the song level, of having songs that are primarily by one artist but also have a guest/featured artist. For example, right now a song entered as "BLT Feat. Paco" would be listed under that artist name, separated from BLT's other songs. It might be nicer if it were also under BLT, with the "Feat. Paco" bit as just a separate additional piece of metadata about the song. A mechanism like that would consolidate a bunch of the entries.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Baby steps. Normalize, THEN extend.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

pulease!!! It's the 21st Century!!! Why do I even need to write a band name when we have iris scans and voice recognition?!?!?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Spud wrote:So I worked my way through the symbols, numbers, and the letters A and B today and fixed:

2dogs vs. 2 Dogs
@eclectic spOOns vs. @eclecticspOOns
The Anarchaeologists vs. The Anarcheologists
Authors Of vs. authors of
Big Matt Hyatt and His Rusty Red Ryders vs. Big Matt Hyatt and his Rusty Red Ryders
I'm not sure about all the others, but it looks like things still aren't 100% right for "2dogs" and "2 Dogs".

The archive page listing artists looks good.

http://www.songfight.org/archive.php?so ... pand=false
One artist listed with two songs, as "2 Dogs (2)"

http://www.songfight.org/archive.php?so ... xpand=true
One artist listed with two songs, as "2 Dogs", entries are "Framed" and "World's Greatest Dad":

But the individual artist pages don't seem to have changed:

2 Dogs, 1 entry, for "Framed":
http://www.songfight.org/artistpage.php?key=2_dogs

2dogs, 1 entry, for "World's Greatest Dad":
http://www.songfight.org/artistpage.php?key=2dogs

EDIT: It looks like the next two are in the same boat. It also looks like something similar is going on with the last two, although in those cases, there you can still only get to the individual artist page for just one of the variants.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Thanks, Lunk. I forgot that the artist pages are cached, and I have to refresh after a consolidation.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:It looks like "See Also" applies at an artist level, to link artists together. I was thinking more about at the song level, of having songs that are primarily by one artist but also have a guest/featured artist. For example, right now a song entered as "BLT Feat. Paco" would be listed under that artist name, separated from BLT's other songs. It might be nicer if it were also under BLT, with the "Feat. Paco" bit as just a separate additional piece of metadata about the song. A mechanism like that would consolidate a bunch of the entries.
Where would this information come from? Half the submitters don't get it right now. You would be surprised how many leave off their band name entirely, get the song title wrong, or make some other error. In addition to those errors, just this week, the band "lalabrookie" has submitted their "Make the World Go", and Na Style Jaa has submitted and later retracted their entry. I think you might be asking a bit much from the contestants here.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think the whole current process already asks too much of people, so I wasn't suggesting adding anything to the current process. That's why I prefaced the whole original post with "This may be too much change/work at this point..." It was more of a note for a hypothetical future implementation, like one that would use an upload form and various other Web based features to make it easier for submitters to get things right.

Anyway, when you have a chance Spud, would you please consolidate these two artists?

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints (keep)
Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints (remove)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Entity normalization is such a pain. Do we want to really keep it using the entity-based form, or do we want to keep it using the canonical name and then convert it to entities at output time? Personally I think the latter is better, as it keeps the data more portable (and also keeps the band name/filename mapping simpler).

(Oh man, you must REALLY hate me for submitting those songs as <3)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Either way is fine with me, but I think we are stuck having the names be HTML because of "X<sub>0</sub>". I don't know how else we'd let some people have HTML tags in their band names and keep things consistent than to switch all the unescaped &s and <s to &s and &lts;. I brought that up back when "X<sub>0</sub>" happened.

Anyway, I'm not asking to deal with all of those issues, just this one, as I got over-eager and consolidated them and doing so broke my archive imports. ;)

EDIT: I'd be happy to replace all the &s and >s in the archive to make things consistent if I had access to do so and if folks thought that would be helpful.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, yeah, I forgot we had this discussion already and the "store it as HTML natively" case was stronger then too. (Although I think for X<sub>0</sub> it'd have been better to do it as X₀, but then that requires also fixing all of the data to be UTF8 instead of ISO-8859-1 like it is currently, and blah blah blah okay whatever)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

that & in our bandname has caused other problems such that i have taken to entering it as "and" instead in a lot of places.
e.g. on the fawm website, upon entering it would recode as & but then it would display it as & instead of as &.
so i just changed them to be and.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

I am going to implement a pull down list for band names. In the future all entries will be consolidated under the band names "Band A", "Band B", "Band C", etc. First come, first served.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Great idea!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Sounds interesting though I'm not quite sure I get it. Where will that menu go on the site?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

In the brand-new submission form that also changes all your id3 tags to match.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Ah, I thought Spud was serious, and that "Band A" etc. were just placeholder examples. Rereading his post, I realize I missed the joke. My bad.