Occupies the Place of a Review Thread (Occupy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, bass, keys, a bit of vox, string arrangements, anything really.
Recording Method: Logic/Mac Pro/Kontakt/Waves. Cheap mics rock.
Submitting as: Sportswriters

Re: Occupies the Place of a Review Thread (Occupy reviews)

Post by sportswriters »

Ha, that's probably the first time OFWGKTA and William Hung have ever been mentioned in the same post. Given a choice I'll go with WH.

Album sales is a shitty measure of quality. I make music for me, don't know about you.

edit: also, pigpen, this is totally for you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickenbon ... otostream/
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

>Album sales is a shitty measure of quality.
Wasn't measuring quality, we weren't talking about quality either, we were talking about people liking it...sales are a worthwhile indicator of that.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, bass, keys, a bit of vox, string arrangements, anything really.

Post by sportswriters »

If your argument rests on the idea that WH sold most of his records because people just plan goshdarn liked him as opposed to because he was a novelty act who was ridiculed on national TV and has become a byword for out-of-tune singing and was paraded around like a sideshow freak then we are just going to have to plain disagree. Other folk can make their own minds up. Over & out.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Wow. I can't believe someone actually took the argument that William Hung is a good singer. PiGPEN, have you ever heard the saying "They're not laughing with you?"
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Post by bdog5778 »

In related news, Mr. Hung's bank account was unavailable for comment as to whether it had been enriched by its owner's prodigious talent or lack thereof. /pi$$ing contest
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments after many listens. Nice varied fight with lots of colors from the palette. I'll be glad to elaborate on anything, just ask. Or scream.

The Al Gore Band - Likes: The free-form drift, lo-fi sonics, spoken outro and low voice accompaniment. Some lyrics. Dislikes: The rhythm track, out of tuneage (I read your methods, but still...) Suggestions: At least tune the guitar, you could tune it to whatever it's near to, not necessarily standard tuning.

Berkeley Social Scene - Likes: Mix, arrangement, melody and guitar playing, leads and where they are placed. Sounds good Lunk, tone-wise. Dislikes: Little sloppy for you guys, I think. Suggestions: Some simple backing vocals on either choruses, verses or both, not just at end.

Billy & The Psychotics - Likes: Moody, dissonant in spots, new directions from old favorites, guitar and piano buddying up at the bar. Dislikes: Little pitchy in spots, dissonant in spots that aren't good, no Paco! (He wouldn't fit well here, anyway. Teasing!) Suggestions:Some BLT voices playing off of Den's, kind of echoing her or something.

c.layne - Likes: Low bit crumble at start/end, intro, kind of dark vibe, groove, playing and tones are excellent, although they could be tricks. Even better! Dislikes: Nothing, really. Suggestions: Maybe something higher, vocally, just to break things up, but I'm diggin' here.

Dealin' Doug & The Rocky's Autos - Likes: Concepts, imitation horns (kinda), Weezer Lite, decent arrangement. Dislikes: Vocals are half assed and mumbly. Suggestions: Trim it down and put some oomph in your vocals.

Dirge & Sara - Likes: Good arrangement, instrumentation. Very good playing, singing is solid with nice melody. Dislikes: Instruments sound digital, not organic enough. I understand the Roland Demo remarks as a long time Roland guy. Suggestions: Lots of talent here, warm it up with acoustics, amps, 'real' instruments.

DJ Ranger Den - Likes: Dreamy, sounds like you're smiling all the time, distinctive sound, simple sells here. Dislikes: Sounds like you're smiling all the time. When you crash, it'll be hard! Cellos come and go, could stay a little longer. Suggestions: Mix it tighter and more well baanced.

dont reply - Likes: Very distant cousin of Electric Popcorn. Self contained digital unit. Mid-point synthy sound. Dislikes: Lack of vocals means it could have been composed a year ago. Doesn't mean it's not a song, but doesn't mean you wrote it for this fight. Suggestions: Try writing lyrics.

Elephant Finger Et Le Casio Ensemble Contemporain de Paris - Likes: Casio makes me think of 88 Lines About 44 Women, which I've always enjoyed. Playful, J$ voice is always enjoyable. Dislikes: Bit messy, the French makes it easy to miss your wit. Suggestions: More French, used sparingly.

Jon Eric - Likes: Piano, social commentary with strong opinion, intelligent lyrics. Backing voice. Dislikes: Much discussed mix. Suggestions: Not necessary but a couple of crunchy guitars, well placed, would punch some serious face.

King Arthur - Likes: Guitars, come back around the bend lyrics, story telling, not in your face churchy stuff but still express your beliefs. Dislikes: Skippy trippy beats. Suggestions: Lead is lost in the mix a bit, could use a little bite, too.

MC Charlie Oh - Likes: Name Charlie OH, a little. Attempts at melody. Dislikes: Lyrics are stereotypical and lame. Doesn't come off as parody as well as PiGPEN does. Descending piano riff is tiring. Suggestions: Stronger delivery, better supporting tracks.

Metaluna - Likes: Great guitarage, super lead work, very good arrangement. Vocal melody is in right direction. Dislikes: Vocals are too loose and don't feel in time, could be much tighter all around. Suggestions: Vocals. Get them spot on in pitch and timing, they will clobber the listener, as they should.

Monkey Touchers - Likes: Washboard sounds like an amusement park ride, at first. Dislikes: The self referencing is old after two songs. Suggestions: Stop fucking around and try somthing weird, but good.

noah mclaughlin - Likes: Acoustic and its 'verb, slide, chorus opens up nicely. Backing voices. Dislikes: Voices are very wobbley here, including the backing voices. Suggestions: Tighten up the vocals. The piano could almost be...a cowbell!

Paco del Stinko - Likes: Drum sound (Thanks, Judas Priest!) Outro which I almost snipped off, first/last lead tone. Dislikes: Lyrics, deliberately dumbed down. Middle lead section is silly. Suggestions: Try harder all around!

The Pannacotta Army - Likes: Sunny, easy-going, would work under a musical montage in a movie, great organic instrument tones. Dislikes: Diggin' deep and coming up empty handed. Suggestions: A Harrison-esque slide solo might fit in well here. Sweet with a hint of loopy.

Pigfarmer Jr - Likes: Acoustic tone, nice voice, straight forward lyrics. Cello part is good. Dislikes: Does the tempo lag and stagger after the voice comes in? Cello loses its grip on listener quickly. Suggestions: Works as is, backing vocals/band would fit though not required.

PiGPEN - Likes: Great energy and arrangement. Love the bacon line. Very well put together, I always thought/hoped it was more parody than glamorization. Dislikes: Yeah, not a fan of the bitches thing, but I get it. Suggestions: Take a hard left turn for your next fight. Wherever that'll take you, the surprise will be fun for you and us all.

Ross Durand - Likes: My favorite SF! guitar tone, nice progression, solid arrangement and story telling. Dislikes: As good as this is, it is on the typical side for you. Suggestions: Simple accompaniment, coming in on the second verse, might be nice. This would also work with full band.

Sep - Likes: Creepiness, different sections/layers, lite guitar midway. Dislikes: Messy playing and arrangement, vocals are a trainwreck. Suggetions: Less is more. Take a bit or two and work them out better, vocals especially.

sonofsupercar - Likes: Swirly vibe like sun and wine, guitar parts, drums, lyrics. Backwards stuff and 'secrets' in the mix. Dislikes: Forgivable lack of bass. Suggestions: If Glenn Case not available, please conseider me for bass duty.

Sportswriters - Likes: Nice pop arrangment, good backing vocals, lyrics work for this, guitar work is very good all around. First couple fo listens made me think of a very cleaned up Jesus and Mary Chain at the start. Dislikes: A bit too much...something, effects/processing-wise, on the lead vocal. Suggestions: Could use something to give it some air. Maybe an acoustic guitar or near hidden, higher register piano/strings.

State Shirt - Likes: Heady, bit on the dark side without getting too gloomy, vocodor isn't overdone, double time beat gives it some spark. Fits into its own time, disregading frames. Dislikes: Bit murky. Suggestions: Although I like the blending of instruments, maybe they could be better separated.

Tony And Juan And Adam - Likes: Good attempt at what inspired you, sounds like you're having fun with it. Well constructed, well played. Dislikes: Not a fan of rappy metal type stuff, but that's personal preference. Suggestions: Guitars could be bigger and more aggressive. Dive bomb leads!

The Yyarrell Brothers Band - Likes: The sunny progression, organic tones, pleasant voice. Nice melodies. Patient yet not lazy. Neat ending. Dislikes: Not much. Could be tighter, especially the slide lead. Suggestions: Re-do parts or all of it, tightenting it up but not to the point of stiffness.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by sportswriters »

Suggestions: Could use something to give it some air. Maybe an acoustic guitar or near hidden, higher register piano/strings.
That's a really good suggestion, Paco. Strings are gonna fight with the BVs but an airy acoustic, maybe in Nashville tuning, would give it a real breath at the top end. I'll try that.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Hey Sport----- Heard finger squeals on electric guitar,i like that. What was that, electric then miked on the strings. what up
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

getting ready to bar and eat some kick azz wings,and stare like a perv at the best looking (talking coyote ugly bartenders) Its a good life. Enjoyed the music this week.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by sportswriters »

hillbilly wrote:Hey Sport----- Heard finger squeals on electric guitar,i like that. What was that, electric then miked on the strings. what up
Just from lots of compression and a fair bit of gain, Billy. The squeals are on the chunkachunk guitar which is a Fender Jaguar going into Guitar Rig (basically a Fender Twin with a RAT pedal) which kind of compresses it a bit to start off with and then it gets compressed pretty hard on the channel to get that totally even percussive thing going, and I guess that really pumps up the finger squeals too.

I like to hear that stuff too.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Generic wrote:Wow. I can't believe someone actually took the argument that William Hung is a good singer. PiGPEN, have you ever heard the saying "They're not laughing with you?"
Well that's just like your opinion dude.
sportswriters wrote:If your argument rests on the idea that WH sold most of his records because people just plan goshdarn liked him as opposed to because he was a novelty act who was ridiculed on national TV and has become a byword for out-of-tune singing and was paraded around like a sideshow freak then we are just going to have to plain disagree. Other folk can make their own minds up. Over & out.
One man's sideshow freak is another man's once-in-a-thousand-years genius.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: Jon Eric - Likes: Piano, social commentary with strong opinion, intelligent lyrics. Backing voice. Dislikes: Much discussed mix. Suggestions: Not necessary but a couple of crunchy guitars, well placed, would punch some serious face.
That was actually part of my original plan, but it turns out that I suck at guitar. You volunteering? :P

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Generic wrote:I suck at guitar.
So do I... but that has never stopped me.
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8

Post by bdog5778 »

Reviews so far (more later):

Al Gore Band - The percussion sounds like the recording click that I always turn off (hey, I've got drum loops for that). It's rather distracting, to be honest. At one point, it seems like you mix it back a little -which is great until it comes back up again. The whole situation is rather unfortunate since I kind of enjoy the ramshackle quality to it. Enjoyed the bit of spoken word/whatever at the end. Glad I went back and listened to this a second time.

BSS - Not digging the cheese keyboard...and then the band comes in. Love those tones. I want to hear some doubling on the vocal - just a personal preference, but I think it would add a lot to this. Don't like the sped-up chorus. I'd prefer some slamming drumbeat with crashes. Speeding it up seems to make it smaller somehow. Then again, these are my tastes (obviously I always go for the big chorus). Hmmm, maybe some harmonies? It's great how you guys have a very clear separation on the two guitars. Wow, sped-up feel works really well on that solo section. To be honest, I wanted it to be double the length of the solo and have the aforementioned "big" feel going during the second half. Babbling here, but I just love the intro/verse feel so much.

Billy & the Psychotics - Everybody's talked about using a bandpass filter on the piano (well, in so many words) and they are correct to do so. Busy mix but it still works quite well. Shaker section not working so well for me - I want the chorus to be something slightly different (that ONE chord you threw in there for interest...kinda self-indulgent). Guitar tones -especially those chorused leads - really sweet. Also, BSS take note, the effects on Denise's vocals are exactly what I was referring to. As an aside, I imagine that her voice is rather easy to mix. Could be wrong. Billy?

C. Layne - The music was okay until the vocal came in...then I realized it was absolutely perfect. Re-started the track just to get it all in context. Love the techno-ish vibe, plus da funk, plus jazzy stuffage. What effects are you using on the vocals? Great Steve Miller vibe minus how much I hate that song ("Fly Like an Eagle", that is). The break at 1:30 is just magnificently complimentary and awesome. Cool background vocals add so much at the end. Hmm, could maybe cut out a few bars earlier. I know, you WANT to have that last little keyboard part stuffed in there. Still, wow. VOTE.

Dirge & Sara - Great voice and another great vibe-y song. Need a slightly better chorus. Could just need a more lively drum part -ride bell. In fact, I think that's really holding this back a little bit. Needs more "live" and/or "real" sounds and human sounding drum parts. Not sure what you're using, but I heartily recommend grooves from Groovemonkee. Excellent stuff. Kind of an abrupt end for my tastes, but whatever. I like the Leslie sound but the other guitars sound modeled -needs more 'verb. Still, I like the song itself. For me, this ALMOST there.

DJ Ranger Den - Volume/compression/limiting issues distract. Pretty piano sound, but it sounds like it's in a different room. Love the cadences on "just because they're true". The lyrics are great here, or maybe it's just your phrasing. Very playful and fun. Of course, I think you could just go sing the phone book and we'd all still love your voice. You really have that quality that draws people in.

Don't Reply - Right away, needs more bass. If you're gonna throw down that 8-bit sound, you need to be blasting the subs and melting my car's stereo system. Lots of great ideas here, though. Not digging the speed-up. It'd probably work at the club though...provided, again, you put some huge bassline in there. Okay, now that it's played through, I've got to say that I actually enjoyed how you played with the tempo there. Seriously, this is one of the entries that I'd download and jam to if it had the deep bass. Can you fix this and put the revised clip up?

Elephant Finger (etc.) - I might this like more if you changed up some of the sounds. Without other "real" instrumentation to back things up, the Casio sounds kind of lose their novelty. Actually, I might not. I don't know, the melody just doesn't work for me. Also, maybe half the lyrics in English - again, just as a change-up.

Jon Eric - Competently done, just doesn't move me. Don't know that I can add anything that hasn't already been said. Maybe some more doubling/chorus on the vocal. That background/harmony seems to have the right amount of space on it. Possibly pull the piano and vox back in the mix a little bit. This song is looking for a driving feel, so it needs the drums up front a bit more. Needs some lead guitar in there - not a smooth sound either. Not quite Revolution #9, necessarily, but something in that direction. This is a protest song and it needs a little bit of ugly in it.
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by bdog5778 »

King Arthur - Music and production are tight but you need to have a different singer on there. Somebody who has that natural soul feel to their voice: Seal comes to mind.* Melodies and lyrics A.O.K. Not my genre, but it's very well done. [*I'm sure you've got him on speed dial]

MC Charlie Oh - A few chuckles, but it seems not gangsta enough to be dangerous and not tight enough to be nerdcore. Piano is up too high and vocal needs to be doubled (again, tightly). Needs more instrumental variation. Harmonies need to be happening at 1:50. Maybe with some rapping happening over the top of that about halfway through. As it stands, without further variation, this shouldn't go on for three minutes.

Monkey Touchers - Stop that. Stop that right now. On a serious note - more than this deserves, frankly - if you're going to make a joke song you need better instrumentation. I'm assuming that's what this is anyway. At any rate, I laughed when the voice came in.

Noah McLaughlin - I love your voice: it's like some immaculately conceived lovechild of Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash. Not sure I like the keyboard here. Personally, I think this would work better as a straight-up country protest song. Don't get me wrong, I think that all of the elements work, I just think that with your voice that it would be better with a more country feel. Substitute some of the instrumentation with a harmonica and a slide guitar and/or pedal steel. Just my $0.02.
Last edited by bdog5778 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.metalunarocks.com
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by bdog5778 »

Dealin Doug (etc.) - Horns and fuzz bass preceded by a movie trailer? Epic. Sounds like you've got the rhythm guitar going straight up the middle - need to do a second take and then hard pan them. Add a little more 'verb to the guits and the horns. Drums kind of sound like "Lump" - which is way cool. Maybe alternate the little complaints at the end "someone take me home" in the left ear, "please" in the right ear, etc. Kind of reminds me of "is that a pledge pin on your uniform?!" This is almost there for me.

Paco del Stinko - Fun, funny, and one raunchy bass tone. "Sniff out my clues"? Thoroughly ridiculous. That lead at 0:40? Dead serious. Cool, man. Love how the bass starts pumping at 1:00. Another lead at 1:25? Okay, now you're just tired of writing wry lyrics. Bass phaser? Sorry, I keep asking these questions that answer themselves. "The gator that you gotta wrassle"! Too funny! Cool creepy breakdown at the end...and a trem tone introduced at the end. Wow, just the ending is worth the price of admission. VOTE.

Panna Cotta Army - Doesn't move me, maybe I'm just jaded. From a production standpoint, I wouldn't change a darn thing. Well, okay, maybe a few more harmonies. Perhaps some chorused slide guitar after the sung lines on the third verse, and then a little fill/solo at 2:20.

Pigfarmer, Jr. - Love the guitar tone, but both it and the voice could use a little more space/verb/modulation/somethin'. Not a lot, just a touch. Strings at 1:20 are really cool, but maybe they should come in around the start of the second verse. Cool little ditty.

PiGPEN- What's this? Check 'em! Dubs, beeyotches! Lovin' the production and the gratuitous nihilism. Perhaps I'm just feeling nihilistic lately, but bagging on smelly hippies is always A+ in my book. That little "ooh" at 1:30 and at the end is the only thing that seems out of place here. Eff polyester, nice. Fade out? No, no, no. This needs a big finish with a thousand voices shouting different things. Somethin'.

Ross Durand - I could see this being played out there amongst the crowds at one of these Occupy protests. You're doing something different here, production-wise. Sounds like a one-take affair while playing and singing. Doesn't sound quite as slick as usual, but I've got a feeling that that's what you were going for. Can't get behind the message, but I didn't feel overly-hectored, either.

Sep - Hmm, low bit-rate. There's a litany of production issues here that's distracting from the song. "One-on-one we had some fun..". Alright, now you're just de-volving into ridiculousness. Need to switch up the drumbeat between verses and choruses. I listened all the way through, but I gotta say that I wasn't overly inclined to do so.

son of supercar - Ramshackle a la Beck...in a very, very good way. Need the bass up a little bit more -it should be driving this tune. This bit of lo-fi needs to be slightly better produced. Still, all of the elements are here and they work. VOTE

Sportswriters - Cool riffage and great production slapped onto a magnificent slab of unalloyed Beta-tude. Seriously, vajayjays all across this great land of ours simultaneously dried up when you wrote this song. Ugh, why do I feel like I need to go knit a sweater now?

State Shirt - You da man. Sounds '80s without the cheese, then gets philosophical with the piano. Now sped-up '80s, again minus the gorgonzola. This is awesome. More 'verb and effects than you can shake a Sigur Ros at. Hmm, might go on a tad too long. Still, VOTE

Tony and Juan and Adam - Righteously rude and awesome geetars. You guys need PiGPEN or the guys from Torrentz to help tighten up your rhymes. Just feels slightly underdeveloped, that's all.

Yyarrell Brothers Band - Man, I just got through slamming Sportswriters for sappy crap, but this is actually okay and I can't imagine any of you wearing an apron and oven mitts while listening to it. I want to hate it, but it's really not too shabby.

www.metalunarocks.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco del Stinko
There's some great shredding here, but the lyrics are getting in the way - they're a little too self-consciously silly, and I can't figure out how that ties into the title. It might still get stuck in my head at some point, though.

The Pannacotta Army
I'm a sucker for this kind of sensitive acoustic stuff, so you don't have to go too far to impress here. The shuffle beat on the drums is worth a few points, too. I like the phrasing in the verses, but I was kind of hoping that there wouldn't be any of those long pauses in the chorus - the song ought to feel like it's gaining momentum. Your harmonies in the bridge are syrupy sweet perfection. Good job finding lyrics that sit comfortably in the cadence of your melodies, too. This is getting a vote. It might not be the best song in this fight, but it might be my favorite.

Pigfarmer Jr.
You play the guitar competently, but you're not really doing anything new or compelling with it. The vocals sound like it's your thirtieth take of them and you're sick of your own lyrics. I like that cello - it should come in sooner. Other than that, there are no overt errors here - it's just not that good.

PiGPEN
This week's controversy, right? I don't find this offensive, personally, but the humor wears out pretty quickly. I can hear the satire in the lyrics, but it treads a line; I don't blame people here for missing it. You deploy some clever rhymes that keep the song from getting too boring, but overly chauvanistic lyrics delivered in a Jay-Z impression aren't enough to keep this song fun for three solid minutes.

Ross Durand
This feels kind of off-the-cuff - I mean, more than usual for your guy-and-guitar songs. The mix sounds a bit more muffled than usual, but maybe it's just because I'm listening on subpar headphones. Your protest lyrics are way better than my protest lyrics. Nice use of a different perspective in the bridge lyrics - a bit of formalism that a lot of Songfighters don't take enough advantage of. A solid entry. Voted.

Sep
Just for reference, you can encode at higher than 64kbps if you want. I don't know if it would make this song sound significantly better, but it might make a marginal improvement. The lead vocal sounds kind of janky, but it tightens up when the second voice joins in for those unison harmonies. I recommend using two voices for the whole thing. Ugh, those chorus vocals are so bad it must have been intentional... but why? Jeeze, you're all over the map. It's killing my ears.

sonofsupercar
Welcome back, guys. Sounds like you never went away. These lyrics are terrific. You get a vote, and I strongly suspect you'll win. I don't really have anything else to say.

The Sportswriters
It takes a minute for my ear to adjust to the odd time sig, and maybe it's just because I'm not fully-invested yet, but it feels to me as though your vocals and lyrics kind of trip on it a bit, too. Your lyrics are so intricately-constructed that I feel as though the vocals need to sit more prominently in the mix. They sound kind of muffled, as though you either put a filter on them, or you recorded into a dynamic microphone. I think this material really calls for a bell-clear vocal recording. Everything else here is wonderful. The pacing, the instrumentation, the harmonies... even the solo. You get a vote.

State Shirt
Hey, another old-school Songfighter - awesome! The overdriven vocals create a nice mood, especially when the harmonies come in. I do wonder when the rest is going to kick in. Expectations subverted - I was expecting the song to kick into overdrive, but first we get a piano breakdown. Ah, then we get the loud section I've been waiting for. Except... it's not louder. Maybe you put a little too much compression on the master track? I feel like there ought to be a huge dynamic difference between those sections, but there isn't. When the vocoded voice sings "Occupy My Heart" in the bridge, it sounds more like "Occupy my lice." Or maybe you're singing something completely different, and I just can't make it out through all the digital manipulation. I think I can hear what you were shooting for on this one, but it's not a hit for me, sorry.

Tony and Juan and Adam
This sounds like an honest-to-goodness garage band. I mean, the drums sound kind of fake, but the mood is unmistakable... at least until the rap starts. I like the wordplay, but you lose me on the delivery. I'm not digging on this, but I don't think you're incapable of producing something I might like in the future.

The Yyarrell Brothers Band
More sensitive acoustic stuff, cool. Well, maybe not acoustic, but clean electric, anyway. But I digress. Your voice reminds me of someone, but I can't figure out who. The vocal is fine for the verses, but sounds a little thin in the chorus. Maybe a harmony or doubled lead is called for? It sounds to me as though you wrote rhymes-first, and had to do some reverse-engineering to get the lines to lead to those rhyming end-words. This results in some awkward cadences in the verse, which is kind of an audio turnoff for me. Check out how natural the Pannacotta Army's lyrics feel in their song, for instance - the rhymes feel almost accidental. This is a nice effort, but needs a little more revision.

So, at the end of the day, my votes go to:
Berkeley Social Scene
Billy & The Psychotics
C.Layne
King Arthur
The Pannacotta Army
Ross Durand
sonofsupercar
The Sportswriters

It's a pretty strong fight, and the high points are really high. Everyone should feel proud of themselves, except for the ones who shouldn't.

sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by sportswriters »

They [the vocals] sound kind of muffled, as though you either put a filter on them, or you recorded into a dynamic microphone
Ha! Yes, what actually happened was that for various I had to record them in one take, REALLY quietly. I have a nice mic but I had to be really close and the proximity effect kicked in.

After the deadline I went back and re-recorded them and kicked the ending up a bit as well -- you can hear it here if you've any interest:
http://soundcloud.com/sportswriters/occupy-my-heart
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

son of supercar - Ramshackle a la Beck...in a very, very good way. Need the bass up a little bit more -it should be driving this tune. This bit of lo-fi needs to be slightly better produced. Still, all of the elements are here and they work. VOTE
Thanks.. Ramshackle ala Beck is what we were going for.

But there's no bass in the song, it's just guitar and drums.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Generic wrote: PiGPEN
This week's controversy, right? I don't find this offensive, personally, but the humor wears out pretty quickly. I can hear the satire in the lyrics, but it treads a line; I don't blame people here for missing it. You deploy some clever rhymes that keep the song from getting too boring, but overly chauvanistic lyrics delivered in a Jay-Z impression aren't enough to keep this song fun for three solid minutes.
>overly chauvanistic lyrics
Not even. The real controversy is calling the song chauvinistic for no real reason.

For all you male-bodied feminists out there who dont actually know how to judge this shit because of the testosterone clouding your judgment...
I like money, i like bitches on the line but perfectly acceptable especially given the medium
But not when the two coexist-es totally chauvinistic but...
Females smart at business who've made it
Make me feel completely emasculated
...undercut by this line

i like mah bacon crispy, i like mah bitches ditzy stereotypical chauvinistic pig.... it's not a coincidence i paired the preference of pork preparation with preference of females

And thats the only two parts in the entire damn song at all related to female issues. There's a couple more iterations of the word "bitch" in the song but those are bitch as emphasis and no self-respecting feminist would even bother arguing the use of that since it's use is so far removed from the words original definition.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by sportswriters »

perfectly acceptable

the reviewer gets to decide that in his/her review, not you.

obviously you thought it was acceptable.

that's what the argument is about

duh
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

bdog5778 wrote:I love your voice: it's like some immaculately conceived lovechild of Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash.
Ha! That is perfect!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.