PMs not being sent?

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

PMs not being sent?

Post by roymond »

What's the deal with PMs that sit in the outbox? Is it a queue issue? I don't know if they've been delivered or not, don't see a "resend" option, and generally feel like I sent a PM but maybe I didn't...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: PMs not being sent?

Post by Spud »

roymond wrote:What's the deal with PMs that sit in the outbox? Is it a queue issue? I don't know if they've been delivered or not, don't see a "resend" option, and generally feel like I sent a PM but maybe I didn't...
It sits there until the recipient reads it. I have gotten a couple from you lately, if that's any help.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

So that's a pull model, eh? Cool. Thanks.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

it's phpBB being a goddamn piece of unusable shit issue
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Messages are delivered upon receipt. Reminds me of a Peter Hammill lyric: take this gift...receipt will give it value.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

fluffy wrote:it's phpBB being a goddamn piece of unusable shit issue
Actually, I don't really understand this comment. Personally, I like it. With email, I can't tell (without doing a ridiculous "return receipt requested", which isn't compatible with all clients) if a person has received my email or not, and it's the same with a board post. I can understand that you might have a different point of view and prefer it to work a different way, but this is not one of those instances of it not working the way it's supposed to or being unstable or anything. It's phpBB working according to design, for better or worse. Once Roymond understood how it worked, he seemed fine with it, too.

SPUD

Oh also, I like the fact that the message can be retracted any time before the recipient has read it.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Sure, and this is actually not a big problem (although the terminology could be a bit clearer), but phpBB's design is pretty crappy in a lot of places. Version 2 was at a decent intersection of usability and functionality (although it had some serious implementation flaws, including massive security problems) but version 3 just adds a lot of stuff and has a ridiculous amount of administrative overhead for no good reason, which just makes things even more complicated and difficult to configure. Plus, its theming engine is terrible, and it's a bloated monolithic piece of garbage that doesn't do anything right, but on the other hand it does things at least not-wrong enough that it's Good Enough for most people.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

I guess I am Most People.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The problem with things that are good for most people is that any problem that emerges in them ends up impacting most people, too. And if that problem is one of Internet security or privacy issues, that can have very far-reaching effects. I'm so sick of my Dreamhost account getting hacked because of idiots running easily-exploitable versions of Wordpress on the same server, for example.

Hi, my name is fluffy, and I have opinions about software.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I went and searched the board for this very topic, since I too have things sitting in my Outbox. And yes, it's understandable that it works that way, but the problem is that it's called the Outbox, a term used by most other email tools to mean messages that aren't sent yet. It should be called something else. Kind of arrogant of phpBB to think "I know everyone else uses it another way, but we use it THIS way, so if it confuses people, it's their problem"
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Wha, software developers ... arrogant?! Impossible! :P