Fixed the Yahoo media player for the forum

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Fixed the Yahoo media player for the forum

Post by fluffy »

Due to a few complicated ways in how HTTP referrers work (which is an unfortunate side-effect of the Internet's broken security model), the anti-hotlink stuff was preventing the in-forum player from actually playing music on songfight.org. Unfortunately, the fix means that anyone who uses the Yahoo webplayer can embed Song Fight songs now. Oh well.

The only way to fix this (short of disabling the anti-hotlink stuff, which actually might not be that big a deal anymore since it's not like we're starved for bandwidth these days) would be for us to self-host the player's .swf files, and that's just annoying (and would make Yahoo pretty unhappy anyway) so it's just something we'll have to live with.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fixed the Yahoo media player for the forum

Post by jb »

Yeah. Good call.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Fixed the Yahoo media player for the forum

Post by fluffy »

Heh, I just had a silly idea... instead of the anti-hotlink stuff redirecting people to the song page, I could do something that just generates a new version of the song with a little "This song brought to you by songfight.org" bump at the beginning (maybe just a .m3u with the bump and original URL would work, but just generating a "watermarked" mp3 wouldn't be that big a deal either, I don't think). Basically do the audio version of what the anti-hotlink stuff on my site does.