Song Fight! Jukebox

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:That is due to the super long optional challenge. My layout at the moment is a fixed vertical size. I don't have a scrolling div set up for the optional challenge to handle it when it's extra long. It pushes content down to the point where it overflows past the bottom of the layout. I have been wanting to come up with a better layout/design but haven't had time. I should have more time to work on it soon though.
You could try adding a CSS rule like:

Code: Select all

#fightArtistInfo { overflow-y: scroll; }
although it looksl ike the widget clickable things still overlap it in that case due to the absolute positioning. Something to limit the height of #fightArtistInfo to keep the widgets from overlapping it would be good too. Outting the sidebar content into another div inside, making THAT div overflow:scroll, and limiting its height through some means would probably work.

I did something workable by wrapping that content in another div id="bramble" (still a child to #fightArtistInfo) and adding this CSS rule:

Code: Select all

#bramble { position: relative; height: 600px; overflow-y: scroll;  }
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks fluffy. I'll probably just add in your change for a quick fix.

I've been trying not to use overflow:scroll because of how iOS devices provide no visual cue that areas like that are scrollable. The song list uses a JavaScript scrollbar because of that. Even that is pretty unusable though because my layout is not tiny mobile screen friendly at this point. Coming up with something that works better on a phone is another reason why I want to redesign things. Although, playing music on the Web on a phone seems kind of crappy because from what I can tell the music stops if the phone screen turns off. So I'm kind of torn between putting effort into a responsive Web design that's a single page app, or working on a native Android app.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

There's always doing responsive web design. media-query CSS is pretty easy to write. I use it on my comic site to make it more or less mobile-friendly.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah. Like I said though, I only have so much time and I think maybe I'd be better off working on an Android app instead. It seems like when it comes to playing music native apps still have an edge.

Anyway, I wound up changing the left column stuff on the homepage, moved next fight and last fight to the top, changed giant "Welcome!" to small "About", and moved the keyboard shortcuts into a popup. That should make some room for the occasional long challenge and/or fightmaster summary.

(I also fixed the cover art lightbox stuff that broke when I upgrade to Bootstrap 2.)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

When you do write an Android app, remember to use the ridiculously-overlooked fragments API so that you can do a responsive layout for the three people on the planet who have Android tablets. :)
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fluffy wrote:so that you can do a responsive layout for the three people on the planet who have Android tablets. :)
Oh hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Did somebody say "responsive layout"?!?!?!?! I am very pleased to say that it took a lot less work than I thought it would to get a much better responsive tweak to the jukebox than I thought I would get from the effort. After a few hours of hacking this weekend, if you now check out the jukebox on your phone or tablet's Web browser you should see that the site adjusts its layout to hopefully be more useful on your (puny) smaller screens. It also adjusts up to be slightly bigger than it used to get, too, if you have a really large screen (like I know I have). If anybody has any feedback about this change, I'd love to hear it.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Since I think people don't know or remember, just thought I would mention again that you can have the Jukebox automatically email you the new titles (with the deadline adjusted for your local timezone for those not in Pacific time). Sign up (which is really simple using your Twitter or Facebook account, and I guarantee the Jukebox will not muck with your account or friends or anything) and in your user settings check the box for "New Title Email".
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, I think I eradicated the last few things that were looking really bad on a phone now. I removed the inner scrollbar for the song list, and changed its layout so that it can handle narrow screens and long artist names and fight titles with more aplomb. It even handles "Rockopolousaninjananophone Eternal - The Vishnu Cycle" and "Nympho Leprechauns with RU4REEL feat. Novox and Carol Cleveland Sings"...

If you've got an iOS device, you can make a home screen bookmark for the site with the middle button at the bottom of your mobile Safari screen. On Android you can have to bookmark the site then go into your bookmarks and long press on the bookmark and then you can save it to your home screen.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just pushed a bunch of new code, the primary focus of which is to allow for user created playlists of songs from the archive, along with a bunch of minor bug fixes.

http://sfjukebox.org/playlists/4
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, and within a few hours there are >100 spam playlists. >:( WTF?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

What do spambots listen to?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I didn't put in a requirement to add songs to a playlist, oops. So they created a bunch of empty playlists. I'm going to disable the feature for now. Then when I have time I'm going to put in a two song minimum. I don't think that will stop them but it will at least create a good source of random two song playlists. :/
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Just tried logging in via Twitter, and got this ultra-helpful message:
Error!
Unfortunately something has gone wrong. Sorry!

The error message was:
Tried disconnecting and reconnecting my Twitter account, same thing happened.

And of course I also can't save a playlist since it's disabled for spammer stupidity reasons. Thanks, spammers. (Thammers.)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

fluffy wrote:Just tried logging in via Twitter, and got this ultra-helpful message:
Error!
Unfortunately something has gone wrong. Sorry!

The error message was:
Tried disconnecting and reconnecting my Twitter account, same thing happened.
yeah I tried that yesterday with twitter too and got the same thing
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:I didn't put in a requirement to add songs to a playlist, oops. So they created a bunch of empty playlists. I'm going to disable the feature for now. Then when I have time I'm going to put in a two song minimum. I don't think that will stop them but it will at least create a good source of random two song playlists. :/
Oh, by the way, you might also consider using bbcode and http:// as rejection parameters for a basic spam filter, since that seems to be what they're trying to get at.

What I wonder is who the hell made a spambot that was specifically working to create accounts on SFJukebox just waiting for any sort of UGC mechanism to come about. Do you know the timing of when the accounts were created compared to when playlists were even a thing? And presumably you have IP address logs and so on.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Twitter integration is broken because the version of the Twitter library I use was relying on some Twitter API v1 calls, which Twitter shut off a while ago. I have to upgrade to a newer version of the library to fix it, which I probably won't have time to do till the weekend.

I'm very surprised about the spam too. I think it may actually be people, not bots, acting as spambots via a mechanical Turk or something. In order to sign up and sign in, you have to be able to receive your password via email, which seems like kind of a lot to have to code up in a spam bot. But who knows?

Spammers have been making accounts and logging in for a while, I don't remember the exact time frames, but a year or more.

I'll add those filters and I'm going to add a two song minimum, but I'm not sure that will work...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

You could ask questions that require at least a passing familiarity with song fight, like "favorite fight title" or "are you fdrink"
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

fluffy wrote:You could ask questions that require at least a passing familiarity with song fight, like "favorite fight title" or "are you fdrink"
Spambots will see through that.

You need harder questions, like:
"How many Doom Faeries does Neil Thrum have?"
"What is your favourite Rone Rivendale guitar solo?", or
"Is Billy's Little Trip a spambot?"
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Twitter login should work again. Playlists are back with some very crude spam prevention that probably won't work.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
fluffy wrote:You could ask questions that require at least a passing familiarity with song fight, like "favorite fight title" or "are you fdrink"
Spambots will see through that.

You need harder questions, like:
"How many Doom Faeries does Neil Thrum have?"
"What is your favourite Rone Rivendale guitar solo?", or
"Is Billy's Little Trip a spambot?"
The questions still need to be answered by a human, CRay.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hey Lunkhead, it'd be cool if you could do an audio preview from the search interface on the playlist generator.