Song Fight! Jukebox

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by Lunkhead »

Doh. That's what I get for cowboy coding. I didn't think to test that "my playlists" view. Thanks for standing in for the non-existent QA department. ;) I'll have that fixed momentarily.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, fixed.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I don't know if there are any other Android users like me who use the Jukebox, but if there are they may have noticed like I did that music playing no longer worked with the latest Chrome (version 36) browser update. I am rolling out an updated mp3 player library to fix that.

Also, of note to roymond, I am adding a download button/link for songs, as John said he didn't care about the potential bandwidth implications. It will be in the lower right corner of the rectangle for a song, next to the "info" button/link which links to the song's page on the Jukebox.

Lastly, I am making a couple of small layout/UI tweaks to try to improve the mobile experience a bit more. There shouldn't be any gray "gutters" down the right and left sides of the main content anymore on phones and tablets. The main content should now span the whole screen. I also added a JavaScript library to try to deal with an inherent 300ms delay on touch/click events on some mobile browsers. And I set the navbar to be fixed to the top of the window so if you scroll down a list of songs it will still be visible.

The changes should be up in a few minutes.

EDIT: OK, all done.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Which player library are you using? I finally got around to installing jPlayer+playlist on http://sockpuppet.us and it works nicely, although I haven't tried it on Android.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I use jPlayer. I switched to it a couple years ago and it's been working pretty well. This latest hiccup had to do with some Chrome update, and they pretty quickly had a new point release (2.6.4) up on GitHub that resolved the issue.

In other news I am starting to try to figure out Angular JS in the hope that if I get the hang of it I can use it to redo the Jukebox and finally make it a single page app, so music can keep playing as you browse around. That's probably still a long way off though.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just rolled out an update that was probably long overdue. It is a small thing that took a fair amount of code change. Man, the code I wrote a long time ago, it doesn't seem as good to me now as it did then. Weird!

Anyway, when you sort the songs differently, that will now effect the order in which the songs play. Going to the next song will always take you to the next song in the order that you see the songs sorted on the page (before if you sorted the songs differently, they'd still play in the order they were originally displayed, e.g. newest first for artists, alphabetical for fights, etc.).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, time for a new trivia question:

Who has the longest streak of uninterrupted entries in Song Fight! history?

EDIT: Ken and Glen, don't guess please, since I already showed you the answer.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Under one name?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yes, under the same artist name.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

The Weakest Suit?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Correct! The gents in BSS and I were wondering about it, so I whipped up something to try to figure it out, using the Jukebox's database. Here's what I came up with. I'm actually not 100% sure it's completely accurate, but I did verify that the info for The Weakest Suit's longest streak is correct.

Top 10 Longest Streaks:
39 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: What Kind of Love Are You Looking For -> Green Eleven
30 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: We Keep Them Alive -> Punctuation Island
27 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: Frostbite -> Green Eleven
21 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: Livin' At The Corner Of Dude And Catastrophe -> Exclamation Point
21 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: Credible Threat -> Clause 5, Sub-Paragraph d)
18 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: She Calls Everybody Baby -> Better Than Before
18 FIGHTS | Octothorpe: Snow Globe -> Been To China
17 FIGHTS | Melvin: Baby, Be Quiet -> King Me
15 FIGHTS | Pathetic Wannabees: Back to the Well -> Back From Juvie
14 FIGHTS | The Landfills: A Variation On Two -> Cancer

In verifying The Weakest Suit's streak, I actually noticed that the only reason he has a 39 fight streak and a 30 fight streak is because in between those was one fight, "The Proposal", which was invite only. If he'd been in that he'd have had a 70 fight streak, or if that fight hadn't happened, he'd have had a 69 fight streak. Amazing! Nobody would have been able to touch either of those for a long time. Even still, it'll take a lot to claim the "longest streak as the same artist" crown, even for Paco.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:18 FIGHTS | Octothorpe: Snow Globe -> Been To China
This isn't quite accurate - this streak was "broken" by It's Charging, which wasn't a real fight (it was never on the front page or voted on, all of the entries were drewtoothpaste, and it was posted into the archive as being a "lost fight" from 1987). That should be 24, ending with Experimental Fashion.

By that token I'd also consider TWS's two massive streaks to just be a single streak, since he had no opportunity to participate in The Proposal so it's not like it was his failing for having broken it.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just updated the Jukebox to support signing in via Google accounts, in case anybody cares.

In order to be able to do so I also updated a bunch of the core open source libraries that I use in my app to new major versions. I then did not test things thoroughly since I don't have any automated process for that. So let me know if you hit any weird errors.

The "social" sign-in mechanisms are a bit wonky. If you want your Google account associated with an existing Jukebox account, that will only happen automatically if the username part of your Gmail address matches your Jukebox username. Otherwise you'll have to sign in to the Jukebox w/o Google first, click your name in the navbar then connect your Google account to your Jukebox account.

The different sites don't always provide everything I want, like Twitter doesn't provide an email, and the username that Google sends back is a long number like 932874928374982734982793487239. So I decided to take the username portion of the email as the Jukebox username.

Anyway, enjoy...?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Today I'm auditing my computer, making sure I have the entire SF Archive on there. I'm using the SF Jukebox's info to help me out and I've found a pair of errors on the jukebox.

* In the Fever Dream fight, Retentacles is listed twice
* There is a nonexistent band called "Our Plans Are On Hold" in the fight of the same name.

If I come across any others, I'll tell you.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Are those errors only in the Jukebox or also in the official archive? If you come across any others it would helpful if you'd cross check them with the official archive too. Thanks!

EDIT: I checked those two. The first one is the song should be assigned to "Phunt Your Friends". The tell with these is to hover over the mp3 download icon and see what the link is, that can show who the artist should be. The second one is really bizarre, the mp3 download link is not even to an mp3. No idea wtf happened there.

EDIT 2: I fixed the data for these issues. The second one is visibly fixed too. The first one, there is some caching that is making the fight page not update properly but the data is fixed. You can see the song on the Phunt Your Friends artist page.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Chumpy noticed that creating/saving playlists on the Jukebox throws an error. I don't know why it is happening yet, but I did notice that if you get rid of the description text then it saves OK. It's only failing when you have something in the description. Very weird.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, this is now fixed. This was a very annoying problem to solve. Sometimes programming is silly.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Emails did not go out about the latest new title, unfortunately. Gmail rejected the password for the account I use to send the emails. I think it's because there is a crazy amount of spammers/spambots using bogus email addresses to register on the Jukebox. For now I've disabled registering using an email address, unfortunately. You'll have to sign up/in using Twitter, Facebook, or Google, until I make another attempt at foiling spammers...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

And if that's a problem, don't forget Song Fight has a site RSS feed which should work with any feed reader (including "live bookmarks" and the like).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

FYI all, the Jukebox "new title" email will additionally translate the deadline time into your local time zone in case you don't live in the US Pacific time zone.

I forgot all about the streaks thing I made. I looked at it again, here are all the streaks of 10 songs or longer as of now. (Yes, this still doesn't account for when a fighter couldn't be in a fight for reasons that were no fault of their own.) The top 10 has changed slightly. Paco and Inflatable Vegetables edged out Melvin and Pathetic Wannabees.

Code: Select all

39 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: What Kind of Love Are You Looking For -> Green Eleven
30 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: We Keep Them Alive -> Punctuation Island
27 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: Frostbite -> Green Eleven
21 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: Livin' At The Corner Of Dude And Catastrophe -> Exclamation Point
21 FIGHTS | The Weakest Suit: Credible Threat -> Clause 5, Sub-Paragraph d)
21 FIGHTS | Inflatable Vegetables: Be What You Want -> What Anna Can See
18 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: Turn Off Your TV -> Drop In The Bucket
18 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: She Calls Everybody Baby -> Better Than Before
18 FIGHTS | Octothorpe: Snow Globe -> Been To China
17 FIGHTS | Melvin: Baby, Be Quiet -> King Me
15 FIGHTS | Pathetic Wannabees: Back to the Well -> Back From Juvie
14 FIGHTS | Berkeley Social Scene: No Rush -> Three Stars
14 FIGHTS | The Landfills: A Variation On Two -> Cancer
13 FIGHTS | Berkeley Social Scene: Grim Reality -> Suitcase
11 FIGHTS | Paco del Stinko: We Keep Them Alive -> Shoelace Soup
11 FIGHTS | Berkeley Social Scene: Bitter Monday -> Red Thief
11 FIGHTS | The Idiot Kings: Mumbo Jumbo -> Shreds
10 FIGHTS | King Arthur: Gonna Be Your Man -> Shreds
10 FIGHTS | Hostess Mostess: Switch Hitter -> Exclamation Point
10 FIGHTS | Abominominous: Switch Hitter -> Exclamation Point
10 FIGHTS | Lord of Oats: Just To Be Difficult -> Thank God for Memphis
10 FIGHTS | Billy and the Psychotics: A Conversation -> his last few days
Only 13 fighters in history have gotten 10 fight long streaks. Will you be next?! At the average rate of 10 days per fight it will only take you 100 days.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Oh, the streak thing is cool. I was surprised to see me up there.
facebook.com/ivegband
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Perhaps noteworthy? My ten song streak started with my very first SF song, while I was working full time, and ended with the song I submitted the week I got laid off (and haven't been back to work full time since, now consider myself "retired") You would think that with "all that free time" one would have when one is not working full time, one would be doing more and more songs, but it sure didn't work out that way...

I also remember when the Landfills had a streak going and they ended up submitting something very thrown-together for "Level Best" just to keep the streak going (and then, I think, disappeared for a while). I ended up taking their a capella "Level Best" thing and building it into my "So Long Atticus" song, using Adjuster's vocal as the "father" half of a father and son duet...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs