There can be only one.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round One

Post by josh »

I'm guessing Buffo was using some serious sarcasm there. Unless I'm missing something, too. That being said, technically speaking we almost always employ animal sounds into our songs structure :-)
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

BenKrieger wrote: I LOVED this song! But did I miss something with the animals sounds? I didn't hear them at all.
The challenge never said how to integrate the animal sounds. Check out the lyric post.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10621#p200128
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

Still totally missed it. The narrator is an owl, I got that much the first time through.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I hadn't noticed the acrostic either. Good thing someone pointed it out.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

Genius! Would have never got it
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

josh wrote:Genius! Would have never got it
Weeeeeeak. It falls into the " I don't really want to do this challenge so let me see if I can find technically valid cheat." Kind of like what I did with that "metal" challenge one year. I should have brought the metal, this song should have brought the noise!
josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

You're a bit on the A-type side of thing, eh? :D
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

If your chord pattern was :
| B | E | E |

Then you would have an animal in the structure of the song, if bees count. ( I couldn't find any other animals that would make a chord pattern)

....and its animal sounds anyway.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

BenKrieger wrote:
Weeeeeeak. It falls into the " I don't really want to do this challenge so let me see if I can find technically valid cheat." Kind of like what I did with that "metal" challenge one year. I should have brought the metal, this song should have brought the noise!
'Weak'? Au Contraire. Inspired.

Bonus points all around for that one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

glennny wrote:If your chord pattern was :
| B | E | E |

Then you would have an animal in the structure of the song, if bees count. ( I couldn't find any other animals that would make a chord pattern)

Pretty sure bees go "buzz". Not "BEE".

And I think I am the only one using the "Z" chord.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
glennny wrote:If your chord pattern was :
| B | E | E |

Pretty sure bees go "buzz". Not "BEE".

And I think I am the only one using the "Z" chord.
B A A A A would work
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

The acrostic satisfies the challenge in my book. The lyrics are an important element of her song, the lyrics have a structure (verse, chorus, etc), ergo the lyrics are part of the song structure. Encoding animal sounds into the lyrics using an acrostic is creative and spares me from having to listen to more dogs barking.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Fun LP fact-

In addition to doing the Listening Party live, I chopped together a trimmed version for my local access TV station in NH. It's playing at 1 am a few days during the week to get some more exposure for the group. Just finished last night's edit (basically trimming the ends) and it'll be on later this week.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

Dear lovers and haters,
This is a message I drafted yesterday but held off (it hurt!) from posting the hint because I wanted to see who was paying attention. In fact, I gave a hint last week when Ken wrote his End Intro End Intro Outro post, and I muttered something about a cross stitch. I was going to put some sound-type things in but a) they'd be just me making the noise because of my tech constraints and b) omission was to send you looking...
Thankyou, BoffoYux, that you had enough faith to dig.
BenKrieger, I'm glad you enjoyed the track, see point b)^... the clunkiness in places is because last minute I cut half a minute to get it under 4 so it lost some of its transitionals. But I suppose there's little room for excuses. A few extra words had to go in to make the acrostic work, which I would have rather left out, but I'm quite proud of it really.
Kudos to BSS for also including both challenges, suPERbly done. Sexy guitar solo!!
You may call me Pepper (it always amuses me when people assumedly go straight for 'Jane' when they leap to first name basis, which is less the point though neither of which are my actual name according to my mother) - I dogress (animal puns still appropriate?)
... dang it, I was really hoping for boney points regarding the challenge. If you hear tweeting in the background thats just because in Exmouth, West Aust it was high-30s°C in the tin church I was recording inside, with my phone, thus the doors were open. (Last week doors were closed which is why it may have sounded like 'too much reverb' as one judge commented.) The accidental birds are not my challenge-meeting. My meating is not in the recording.
Pepper
PS I shan't call you Mr Money again, unless you like it, in which case I won't either.
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

PepperJane wrote: If you hear tweeting in the background thats just because.in Exmouth, West Aust it was high-30s°C in the tin church I was recording inside, with my phone, thus the doors were open.
Pfffffttt! Luxury!! I did my song in the Thargomindah Caravan Park, far west QLD - low 40s outside, broken laptop AND a hangover. I'd dream of a tin church with tweeting birds. Only animals here are flies - and they are hard to make sit still to record. Or roadkill - I guess I could have gotten some cool squelchy percussion thing going...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote:
Oh Ben, don't forget to post up your instructions for us all on how we should address the challenge this week.
Would hate to disappoint you again.

:twisted: NUR EIN!! :twisted:
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

Caravan Ray wrote: Pfffffttt! Luxury!! I did my song in the Thargomindah Caravan Park, far west QLD - low 40s outside, broken laptop AND a hangover. I'd dream of a tin church with tweeting birds. Only animals here are flies - and they are hard to make sit still to record. Or roadkill - I guess I could have gotten some cool squelchy percussion thing going...
"Heated bonds set harder" my dear, as every boilermaker knows ;)

Excuse me, I'm departing for Toronto via Singapore and Frankfurt looking for some oceanographic events to write about. Won't find them living in a safe harbour now, will I? If I don't make it, someone write a soft folk anthem for me, aaight? With sea shells and brass bells or some such heard-before nonsense. I'd want it to be recognisably me. And a gecko. With an akubra

Yes, more instructions please! Tell me just how to slay the dragon. I suppose I'll have to use my teeth this week :-/
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Caravan Ray wrote: Oh Ben, don't forget to post up your instructions for us all on how we should address the challenge this week.
Would hate to disappoint you again.

:twisted: NUR EIN!! :twisted:
Just don't bore me! Optional challenge: don't write about election fighting between candidates.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

PepperJane wrote: Yes, more instructions please! Tell me just how to slay the dragon. I suppose I'll have to use my teeth this week :-/
If your lyrics this week include "I I I I I I I" (sounding like "why-y-y-y-y-y don't you use it" from Duran Duran's "Reflex") then, on paper, the lyrics kind of look like teeth marks. And any song in the present tense could be construed, technically, as a "current event." Avoid lame strategies such as this and just keep writing great songs with a fearless incorporation of the challenge, that's what I command!
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

bgm:

Composition: 10/10
Lyrics: 9/10
Performance: 10/10
Production: 10/10

Creativity bonus: 5
Challenge bonus: 5

This is my absolute favorite of this round. I like the lyrics with the repeating wolves motif, I love the guitar - those jazzy chords, especially; what chords did you use there? Something like m7b5 or the like?; and the icing on the cake is the delicate wolf howling that merges with the "awooooo" choir. Perfect.

Berkeley Social Scene:

Creativity bonus: 3
Challenge bonus: 2

No annoying bass this time. As you see, I ranked your entry for round one much higher than the round zero one. This is top notch stuff, the kind of song I enjoy listening to in my spare time, not just because I have to do so as a Nur Ein judge. The dual title thing works much better here, too. Cool guitar solo. All in all, a great song. (The animals are a bit subdued though, which is why you get only 2 challenge bonus points.)

Boffo Yux:

Composition: 8/10
Lyrics: 7/10
Performance: 6/10
Production: 5/10

Challenge bonus: 3

You should use a pop filter to keep your voice from making those heavy "p" sounds. This song is extremely catchy (I had it stuck in my head the whole other day), but a bit too long, even if it's just 3 minutes. 2 minutes would be fine. Also, the vocal gets a bit annoying after a while, but the country/bluegrass vibe comes across as genuine, to me. Animal sounds are fine too.

Cavedwellers:

Composition: 5/10
Lyrics: 8/10
Performance: 9/10
Production: 9/10

Challenge bonus: 4

This song eluded me on first listens. I don't really care for the composition, but your creative and actually rhythmic use of animal noises gives you bonus points. Vocal solo by your daughter (she's your daughter, right?) is pretty and my favorite part of the song. Lyric is cool, too (thanks for explaining beforehand) - I like it when people don't go for the obvious with such ambiguous titles.

Cybronica:

Composition: 7/10
Lyrics: 5/10
Performance: 4/10
Production: 6/10

Creativity bonus: 1
Challenge bonus: 1

I don't really like this operatic style of singing, I'm sorry. You're good at it though. As an instrumental, this could be the soundtrack to a classic '80s/'90s video game. Song is too long for what it is, though. Niveous told me you were not aware of the fact that the title is mandatory, so I won't begrudge you for that. I gave your lyric a rating of 5 (average) which in this case means "not rated".

DJ Ranger Den:

Production: 7/10

Creativity bonus: 2

This somehow reminds me of Get Behind Me Satan era White Stripes. The song itself sounds a bit like "I'm Lonely", with the listing of animals being reminiscent of "Instinct Blues". Your voice sounds like a hybrid of Jack's and Meg's, which is interesting. I like this, but it's not in the top field for me.

DuToVa:

Composition: 9/10
Lyrics: 4/10

Challenge bonus: 0

Very '80s sounding. I like it. My only criticism is regarding the challenge. To me, the use of animal sounds has to fit the lyric theme, which I don't see here (except for the very end). Also, kazoos are cool, but don't really sound like bees (and why bees?) - perhaps go for a vuvuzela section next time. Though that would sound much less pleasant than kazoos (and if I use the words "pleasant" and "kazoos" in the same sentence, that means something).

Grumpy Mike:

Ah, we have some - dare I say it? It sounds almost derogatory, though I certainly don't mean it that way - pop-punk here! This is one of Mr. Soma's favorite genres, so I'm a bit biased. The lyric is reminiscent of some Offspring ones, which fits the music ("The Kids Aren't Alright", "Way Down the Line" spring to mind). Challenge is half-assed, though I myself wouldn't be sure how to incorporate animal sounds into a song like this one. 3 points creativity bonus because of your subtly hinting at the title, yet never speaking it out.

iVeg:

Performance: 7/10
Production: 8/10

Ah, nice and relaxed. The timbre of your voice doesn't really fit this kind of song, but that's just a minor flaw. The seagulls mix in nicely with the reggae music and somehow enhance it, which is reminiscent of the song I used as an example for 'animal sounds as part of structure' before, Pink Floyd's "Cirrus Minor" (though your song sounds nothing like that one, just the way the birds and the music compliment each other). Good lyrics, too.

Ken Mahru:

Creativity bonus: 1

One of my favorite songs for this round. The chords at the beginning remind me of something Porcupine Tree would do. Vocals and accompaniment flow nicely, very relaxing. I especially enjoyed your vocal, which at times is almost drone-like here. The seagulls work well. I like those nostalgic lyrics; very interesting how a lot of people went for a 'historical' theme for this round.

Levittdown:

Lyrics: 7/10
Production: 6/10

Creativity bonus: 0

Wolf was done better by bgm. Can't beat that :p but still, this song is an improvement on last week, vocals especially. I like how the title only appears towards the end of the song. Fun song.

Micah Sommersmith:

With a synth-heavy arrangement, you can either mess up badly or make your song really cool. This one I find very enjoyable. The metaphorical (?) lyric is good, a bit pretentious, but I can dig that. Song just gets a bit boring because it lacks a good chorus. Challenge is met in a cool way, with the animals sounding like machines or vice versa.

Michael J. Samuels:

Composition: 3/10
Lyrics: 5/10
Performance: 3/10
Production: 4/10

Whoa, I'm in the jungle! Almost industrial. With industrial though, it's all about the ambience, which is not executed as good as it could have been. There is not much of a melody to compensate, either. Can't make out much of the lyrics, so I'll just be generous and give you an average 5 (and I only do so because my no-lyrics-posted-equals-zero-points policy proved controversial last week). Your vocals sound as good as distorted vocals can sound. Voice reminds me of Thom Yorke - maybe do a Radiohead style song next time? I'm convinced you could pull that off very well.

Paco del Stinko:

Composition: 6/10

Good execution of the challenge. Fun song, as usual. The tune itself, though, eludes me in a similar way to Cavedwellers', which gives you less composition points. I love the lyrics though. We should all use the word "boilermaker" as a swear word more often.

Pepper Jane:

Production: 7/10

Creativity bonus: 5
Challenge bonus: 5

"In a churchyard by a river..." These opening chords sound suspiciously similar! I named "Cirrus Minor" as a good example for a song with animal sounds in it; did it influence you? Your voice is pretty, and the dual song thing, as with BSS, works well. Oh, and your use of animal sounds in the song's "structure" is clever - I love it when people think outside the box. (It was a bit too clever for me, though, so thanks you pointed it out. Duh.)

Potato Dentata:

Lyrics: 10/10

Creativity bonus: 4

The sitar made me laugh. Really fun lyrics, in fact I like them enough to give you 10 lyric points. Song is OK.

RankCorps:

Performance: 2/10
Production: 1/10

Sounds like my dad's credo. Thanks for posting lyrics. Not my cup of tea; too distorted for me. Wait... distorted and autotuned vocals? I think I'm gonna faint.

Solo Frijoles:

Creativity bonus: 4

A comic song, once again! This title seems to have triggered the humorous side in many of you. Beyond the novelty, I'm not sure if there is much else there, but it's a funny sea shanty / nursery rhyme style song. The noises following "And a whale" remind me a lot of the Decemberists' "Mariner's Revenge Song", which has a very similar (but longer) part towards its end. Challenge bonus.

Strangely Brown:

I like that deep baritone vocal. Plus I appreciate the overall vintage sound. Not as strong a composition as some of the others, though. The overlapping vocals towards the end are well executed.

Zack Facco:

Production: 5/10

This is much better than your round 0 entry. Nice vocal harmony. The high-pitched sound in the chorus is unpleasant on my ears. The overall sentimental vibe is promising, but could have been executed better. Lyric is good.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, very unexpected for BSS to win Round One. I liked bgm's the best, by a long way, thought it was quite beautiful and well done. You were robbed, bgm!

This kinda screws things up for us because last night we wrote a real winner. It's not possible to win a round if you have immunity, right? :P

NUR EIN!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Also, no individual judges' rankings this year? I'm curious what the rationale is there.